Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Saint Sputnik posted:

Tried some multiplayer and it was kind of fun, but how the heck do I actually choose what I want to do? It just kept plopping me into random games - bunch of free-for-alls and one gang v gang.

I don't know what the controls are for 360, but on PS3 once you get to Free Roam, hit Select and choose whatever game type you want (free for all, stronghold, overrun, etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Okay, I just popped this game in for a start and WOW is it normal for you to be ganged up upon by endless hordes or can you clear out some areas of zombies? I'd better get more crowd-clearing options fast because this is otherwise going to take quite some getting used to after Vanilla Red Dead Redemption.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Speedball posted:

Okay, I just popped this game in for a start and WOW is it normal for you to be ganged up upon by endless hordes or can you clear out some areas of zombies? I'd better get more crowd-clearing options fast because this is otherwise going to take quite some getting used to after Vanilla Red Dead Redemption.

Unless there's like a small group of 3-5 undead, it's more than likely they'll keep popping up on different sides. You have to get out of there.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Speedball posted:

It depends on what you're doing. If it's town defense or a graveyard, the zombies do stop coming eventually. If you're out in the wilderness and see a small pocket of zombies, they'll respawn pretty steadily. Sometimes you'll see two or three, and if one spots you 20 more will seemingly come out of nowhere.

Your best bet when outside of a town is to stay on your horse unless you absolutely need to get off to pick plants or open a chest.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Speedball posted:

It's best to run and plan ahead when you're first starting out. Start clearing out towns and climbing up to give ammo to the survivors: this limits the amount of zombies you have to kill to clear a town. The cleared town gives you a new weapon to use. The thing to keep in mind about weapons is not to worry about their power but to focus on ones that have a bigger clip. A well-placed bullet from any gun will kill a zombie.

And if you run out, use the torch. That's what it's there for.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

I'm impressed at just how effectively this game takes a familiar landscape and turns it into something much creepier and more oppressive. Suddenly buildings aren't so much interesting places to explore as they are potential close-range counters with the undead. The wilderness was already kind of spooky due to being so desolate, but at the most you were likely to run into that cannibal camp guy as far as creepy things go. Suddenly off-the-beaten-track exploration seems like less of a great idea when it can be avoided.

I also really love the idea of using the same characters and settings to tell a completely different story, in a way not dissimilar to how I love the idea behind the GTA Stories games.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Start clearing out towns and climbing up to give ammo to the survivors: this limits the amount of zombies you have to kill to clear a town.

Oh gently caress, /that's/ what that did! Every time I gave ammo to survivors I felt bad because I didn't know any pros to doing that.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
The very first time I had to do that, I wasn't watching where I was and the idiot blasted me twice in the back.

And then for fun I went and burned myself to death.

Should I finish the regular game before I get into this? I haven't even unlocked anything past the first region so I don't want to go spoil the rest of the map yet.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Saint Sputnik posted:

The very first time I had to do that, I wasn't watching where I was and the idiot blasted me twice in the back.

Should I finish the regular game before I get into this? I haven't even unlocked anything past the first region so I don't want to go spoil the rest of the map yet.
Undead Nightmare spoils a fairly huge thing about the plot of regular RDR, so you probably should finish that first.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Saint Sputnik posted:

Definitely play the story through first. Undead Nightmare is neat and all, but RDR is probably the most entertaining single player game I've played since I was a kid.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

Undead Nightmare spoils a fairly huge thing about the plot of regular RDR, so you probably should finish that first.

How early into the game is the spoiler? I already accidentally spoiled a couple things for myself reading reviews and the RDR wiki, oh well.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Saint Sputnik posted:

How early into the game is the spoiler? I already accidentally spoiled a couple things for myself reading reviews and the RDR wiki, oh well.
The biggest one is at the very end, but there are a few dotted throughout the DLC. As fennesz said, the RDR single player is fantastic and you should play through that anyway.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

The biggest one is at the very end, but there are a few dotted throughout the DLC. As fennesz said, the RDR single player is fantastic and you should play through that anyway.

Definitely, I'm just moseying through it to prolong the enjoyment.

e: except that everyone in multiplayer can go choke to death on a goddamn dick

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 28, 2010

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

ok coop missions kick rear end, but I can only be shot by the same guy in a free-for-all so many times before I see red

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
are you playing on xbox or psn?

if youre on xbox my friends and i can give you a hand, gt=pbucch

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Saint Sputnik posted:

ok coop missions kick rear end, but I can only be shot by the same guy in a free-for-all so many times before I see red

Yeah, I was starting to warm up to multiplayer after trying it this weekend, so much so that I was this close to taking advantage of the $20 off a year's subscription to XBox Live Gold. $3 a month is reasonable, but then I realized that the only game I own that has decent multiplayer is Red Dead Redemption... I guess it would've been worth it, but whatever.

I have to say though, Undead Overrun is a lot of fun, and it's a good way to rack up levels for Free Roam. Thinking about it now I probably should've done that Black Friday deal, that game mode alone is worth $3 a month at least.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

OrangeCrush posted:

are you playing on xbox or psn?

if youre on xbox my friends and i can give you a hand, gt=pbucch

Yep Xbox. Just sent you a request (AudreyHeartburn)

e: finally unlocked poker and liar's dice, both a lot of fun. Had an epic poker standoff with a guy an hour ago. I'm almost level 13 after only a couple days.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I wanted to see how many PS3 Goons we could get on tonight to grind double XP and kick rear end. I was going to put up a cheesy graphic about bringing law to the west but I found out that someone beat us to the punch. http://reddeadlawmen.forumotion.com/forum.htm

edit: PSN Darth_Brooks

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 28, 2010

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

With gambling online, I know they give you $200 a day to play around with, but what happens to the money you make on top of that? I have around $400 now.

mikestg
Jul 28, 2003
I'll probably be playing throughout the day if any PS3 goons want to posse up.

PSN ID: eatchupa

I've got all the add-ons and I'd be up for free roam, poker, or whatever.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I rented this when it first came out, and now I am interested in picking it up again.
I am not interested in the single player campaign as I have already gotten through that, but I would be interested in playing multiplayer with my friend who has the original game, and going through Undead Nightmare.

Now that the Undead Nightmare standalone disc is $20 at Best Buy, would it be worth it to pick that up? Would I be able to play with my friend who has the original disc? Is the free-roam the same?

Awcko
May 26, 2009

Mo' Pushin'

Mo' Problems

Rusty Kettle posted:

I rented this when it first came out, and now I am interested in picking it up again.
I am not interested in the single player campaign as I have already gotten through that, but I would be interested in playing multiplayer with my friend who has the original game, and going through Undead Nightmare.

Now that the Undead Nightmare standalone disc is $20 at Best Buy, would it be worth it to pick that up? Would I be able to play with my friend who has the original disc? Is the free-roam the same?

You'll be good to go, the standalone disc is everything (including the MP DLC) with the original singleplayer cut out of the package.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Awcko posted:

You'll be good to go, the standalone disc is everything (including the MP DLC) with the original singleplayer cut out of the package.

Does it have any of the side missions like the mysterious stranger? And what is the single player freeroam? Are you the dead guy or his son during this? Are there zombies wandering around, or would I be able to hunt normal animals without worrying about undead things? I have tried googling this, but I just get info on the DLC and not the standalone.

Awcko
May 26, 2009

Mo' Pushin'

Mo' Problems

Rusty Kettle posted:

Does it have any of the side missions like the mysterious stranger? And what is the single player freeroam? Are you the dead guy or his son during this? Are there zombies wandering around, or would I be able to hunt normal animals without worrying about undead things? I have tried googling this, but I just get info on the DLC and not the standalone.

Yeah, there are some side mission strewn about, and the single player freeroam is nearly the same with the occasional group of zombies running through the world. Misread this. The non-standalone DLC is a seperate menu option that drops you into an alternate campaign, and has no ties with the standard SP game aside from the story.

There aren't any normal animals left, they've all become zombies that take alot of damage to kill if shot anywhere aside from the head.

Regarding your spoiler question, The game veers off from the normal ending, the zombie outbreak happens during your time on the farm with your family, and it doesn't give Ross a chance to kill you.

Awcko fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 28, 2010

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Holy loving poo poo me and some random dudes just went twenty seven loving rounds in Undead Overrun it took me a solid half hour

And that's after a previous best for me of surviving seven rounds. I always come in dead last on the scoring too.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Awcko posted:

Regarding your spoiler question, The game veers off from the normal ending, the zombie outbreak happens during your time on the farm with your family, and it doesn't give Ross a chance to kill you.

Actually, we never know. It just goes to 'a few months later' and John comes back to life. Ross could have still killed you, but the finale of Undead Nightmare is still in 1911. Presumably it's in that three years before Abigail dies and his son avenges his death. Come to think of it, that's probably what sent the boy off and killed Abigail: John rising from his grave to run amok!

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

This has got to be one of the best RDR glitches I've ever seen on Youtube. The music really puts the icing on the video.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hungryjack posted:

This has got to be one of the best RDR glitches I've ever seen on Youtube. The music really puts the icing on the video.

wow. So birds are just reskinned, reshaped humans in the software, somewhere? That's the only reason I can think of why they'd flap their arms.

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009

Speedball posted:

wow. So birds are just reskinned, reshaped humans in the software, somewhere? That's the only reason I can think of why they'd flap their arms.

Who knows it's loving hilarious either way.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Speedball posted:

I hate saying this but you're not going to see this except you have a hacked X-Box and are running a pirated copy of an earlier build of the game.

There are a few glitches that legitimately exist. One, you can get into a building in Chuparosa. You can above the railroad tunnel north of Armadillo and explore north of the map and there's a way to rocket into the sky by the jail in MacFarlane's ranch. I have seen all of those.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Darth Brooks posted:

I hate saying this but you're not going to see this except you have a hacked X-Box and are running a pirated copy of an earlier build of the game.

There are a few glitches that legitimately exist. One, you can get into a building in Chuparosa. You can above the railroad tunnel north of Armadillo and explore north of the map and there's a way to rocket into the sky by the jail in MacFarlane's ranch. I have seen all of those.

I swear I once saw someone in Free Roam well south of the southern game border near Rancho Polvo once. I wanted to snipe him but I couldn't find him at all. I have no idea how that person got there, and have had no time to try and glitch like you can at the railroad tunnel.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Pretty disappointed to find out I can't hijack the train or blow it up by shooting the boiler. Hope they find a new conductor.

Best thing I ever did in GTA:SA was hijack a train and somehow manager to jacknife it while going in reverse. Turned out they hadn't "weighted" the train so I could push it around the street with just my body.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

I want to go to R* SD offices. set up a chair and a TV tray in the middle of the place, hold fork and knife in my hands and pound them rhythmically on the tray going "UN-DEAD-FREE-ROAM-UN-DEAD-FREE-ROAM-UN-DEAD-FREE-ROAM-UN-DEAD-FREE-ROAM-UN-DEAD-FREE-ROAM-UN-DEAD-FREE-ROAM-UN-DEAD-FREE-ROAM-UN-DEAD-FREE-ROAM" until I was thrown out.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

GenoCanSing posted:

I want to go to R* SD offices. set up a chair and a TV tray in the middle of the place
I've been there. There's really no "middle of the place."

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

When John rises from the grave, the game gives a little bit of text which says something like "Finish John's quest so that he can be laid to rest", if you 100% the game does it have any pay-off like that? Probably not since it would end free roam, but it would be cool if it did.

Also isn't it a bit strange that RDR has really polished gunplay with enemies taking cover and whatnot, but then pretty much all of the enemies in Undead Nightmare are melee enemies who's primary attack is just bumrushing the player. Which is why to me it seems that UN didn't really play to RDR's strengths in terms of gameplay, since up close combat is kind of awkward while the awesome gunfights from RDR are almost completely marginalized.

Also it would have been cool (IMO) if RDR had DLC like GTA, where you play a different character in the same setting during the same overall story arc but from a different perspective. It could have expanded on Dutch's gang and their motivations a bit since I though that was somewhat underdeveloped in RDR. They could've even had Horde Mode with a shitload of Indians instead of zombies. Not that I'm knocking UN or anything since it was pretty good nonetheless.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

a 16 year old girl posted:

When John rises from the grave, the game gives a little bit of text which says something like "Finish John's quest so that he can be laid to rest", if you 100% the game does it have any pay-off like that? Probably not since it would end free roam, but it would be cool if it did.

Also isn't it a bit strange that RDR has really polished gunplay with enemies taking cover and whatnot, but then pretty much all of the enemies in Undead Nightmare are melee enemies who's primary attack is just bumrushing the player. Which is why to me it seems that UN didn't really play to RDR's strengths in terms of gameplay, since up close combat is kind of awkward while the awesome gunfights from RDR are almost completely marginalized.

Also it would have been cool (IMO) if RDR had DLC like GTA, where you play a different character in the same setting during the same overall story arc but from a different perspective. It could have expanded on Dutch's gang and their motivations a bit since I though that was somewhat underdeveloped in RDR. They could've even had Horde Mode with a shitload of Indians instead of zombies. Not that I'm knocking UN or anything since it was pretty good nonetheless.

I don't know, it works in regards to coming across the unexpected. RDR works because the open world allows a variety of situations that can either turn good or go horribly bad. The zombies just add another layer to that. It's not as deep as the original, but it's fun because you have to deal with people just charging you and keeping you off balance while you slaughter them. On top of that, the side missions are where the game really shines with various bonuses and the like.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:

I don't know, it works in regards to coming across the unexpected. RDR works because the open world allows a variety of situations that can either turn good or go horribly bad. The zombies just add another layer to that. It's not as deep as the original, but it's fun because you have to deal with people just charging you and keeping you off balance while you slaughter them. On top of that, the side missions are where the game really shines with various bonuses and the like.

The only thing that really frustrates me in the end is the fact that switching to Casual aiming is really a necessity for me. With ammo being relatively scarce and the unpredictability of undead movements, I find getting headshots a real pain in the rear end. Of course, I'm early in, so all I have is a pistol, repeater, and shotgun, and the torch.

Overall, I'm loving the game. I just got it last night. I didn't really care for the basic RDR, but UN is fun, funny, and at the same time tense with zombies charging you.

I had RDR on PS3, but with the plethora of issues that I have with PSN and it being completely unfriendly for anything multiplayer, I ended up trading it in. I picked up UN for 360 and I'm loving it, aside, of course, from the level 50 fags that just run around doing nothing but killing random people, glitching, and are just plain nuisances that don't really like playing with multiple players. :iiam:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

I think they dropped the ball by not adding human enemies, while UN is decent, it would have been much better and less monotonous if you had to contend with actual armed enemies.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:

blackguy32 posted:

I think they dropped the ball by not adding human enemies, while UN is decent, it would have been much better and less monotonous if you had to contend with actual armed enemies.

CLEARLY someone doesn't like Left 4 Dead. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Who Dat posted:

CLEARLY someone doesn't like Left 4 Dead. :colbert:

Left 4 Dead was made for that kind of gameplay. RDR isn't. :colbert:

• Locked thread