Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Vidaeus posted:

My question isn't about buying a whole bike, but it's related and I didnt' want to make a new thread for it.

I have a 2006 Honda VTR250 (great little bike by the way) and I need to get some new tyres for it. Front tyres are 110/70-17 54 H (Bridgestone G601F) and rear tyres are 140/70-17 66H (Bridgestone G602). I mainly just do short highway commutes and around town riding. My requirements are good safe grip & tyre life. Not really concerned about SUPER SPORT XXXTREME PERFORMANCE or anything like that. Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

I'd just go with whatever you can find in 140/70 that's cheap, most any modern tire will do fine for your needs. I looked up what tires were available in 140/70 on Motorcycle Superstore and couldn't find much, but I was looking up tires I was familiar with like Pilot Roads and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

The Gladius is a solid bike and really the thing that's arguable about it is its appearance. If you like how it looks then go for it. That said, you can always find a used bike that is reasonable if you are patient.

Problem with the appearance? Like, having to run over all the women who throw themselves in front of it due to the irresistible panty-dropping attraction?

Maybe my sensibilities are broken but I think the gladius is outrageously sexy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FormatAmerica posted:

Based off the SV650 with upgraded parts all around. Sitting on it today made me feel funny in the pants. Opinions before I pull the trigger next week?
If you're financing, you'll probably get a better rate if you finance most/all of it and pay off what you intended to pay cash for, anyway, since below a certain amount it becomes a personal loan which tend to have enormously high rates. I'm almost 100% sure Suzuki financing has a minimum amount that has to be financed, anyway.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?

Vidaeus posted:

My question isn't about buying a whole bike, but it's related and I didnt' want to make a new thread for it.

I have a 2006 Honda VTR250 (great little bike by the way) and I need to get some new tyres for it. Front tyres are 110/70-17 54 H (Bridgestone G601F) and rear tyres are 140/70-17 66H (Bridgestone G602). I mainly just do short highway commutes and around town riding. My requirements are good safe grip & tyre life. Not really concerned about SUPER SPORT XXXTREME PERFORMANCE or anything like that. Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

I've got Bridgestone BT45s on my VTR at the moment and they're pretty good tyres. Lots of grip, great in the wet, and I'd have got at least 10000km out of the rear if a rivet hadn't found its way through the tread.

Alternate comedy option: Bridgestone BT90.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Endless Mike posted:

If you're financing, you'll probably get a better rate if you finance most/all of it and pay off what you intended to pay cash for, anyway, since below a certain amount it becomes a personal loan which tend to have enormously high rates. I'm almost 100% sure Suzuki financing has a minimum amount that has to be financed, anyway.
It's going to be better long term for your credit score if you take out a larger loan and pay it off quickly, as well - but that's a more secondary consideration.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Buying my first ever bike, this state limits me to 250cc in my first year and I don't really want to spend more than about three or four grand. There's a couple of Honda VTR250s going locally for that price range, but my biker friend says they're really tiny. Also I'm kind of keen on a dual sport so I can go off-roading, I'm definitely going camping in January and I may or may not do quite a bit of touring next year.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?

freebooter posted:

Buying my first ever bike, this state limits me to 250cc in my first year and I don't really want to spend more than about three or four grand. There's a couple of Honda VTR250s going locally for that price range, but my biker friend says they're really tiny. Also I'm kind of keen on a dual sport so I can go off-roading, I'm definitely going camping in January and I may or may not do quite a bit of touring next year.

Here's my VTR250 next to my STR675:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

The VTR's got a lower seat, but it's not a "tiny" bike by any means. Quite a few other bikers I've talked to have thought that it was a 600 (alternatively, a Ducati).

If you're looking for something "bigger", why not a Hyosung GT250F? Build quality issues aside, it's effectively a 650 frame with a 250 engine inside.

Shouting Melon fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 23, 2010

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

FormatAmerica posted:

OMG agreed. So sexy

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

FormatAmerica posted:

Problem with the appearance? Like, having to run over all the women who throw themselves in front of it due to the irresistible panty-dropping attraction?

As a woman, I'm not quite so concerned with the panty-dropping, but the gladius is actually a pretty nice looking bike. Especially in that grey and red color scheme.

Comedy option: are there any bikes that come with bright pink as a factory paint option?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/09/yamaha-reveals-2009-r6-and-fz6r/

the lil fz6r has pink bits.

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange

FormatAmerica posted:

I agree and I think the blue/white one is the most drool worthy. It's probably going to be my second bike.

Not everything has to be black, black, black, with black trim and black bit's.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

AA is for Quitters posted:

As a woman, I'm not quite so concerned with the panty-dropping, but the gladius is actually a pretty nice looking bike. Especially in that grey and red color scheme.

Comedy option: are there any bikes that come with bright pink as a factory paint option?

AA - Triumph did a Speed Triple in pink a few years back. Good luck finding one that's survived though.

e: Vidaeus - 140/70 18? Pirelli Sport Demon, Avon Roadrider. In case you need to ask, BT090s will make it almost impossible to fall off, but aren't what you're looking for.

ee: Here you go

http://www.flickr.com/photos/richspk/2807519110/

Saga fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 23, 2010

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
What do you guys think about a honda hawk for commuting, and weekend trips. I know it's got a good rap as a track bike, but I'm going to have to be a little more practical with it for little while.

Here's the one I was looking at

http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/2075048963.html

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Leroy Diplowski posted:

What do you guys think about a honda hawk for commuting, and weekend trips. I know it's got a good rap as a track bike, but I'm going to have to be a little more practical with it for little while.

Here's the one I was looking at

http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/2075048963.html

It's a great all arounder. Heavier than an SV, lower powered, and older, but the precursor to it, and a hell of a fun bike to ride. I'd try and find an SV, considering Gen 1s are available for that price if you can find a deal, but if they're not in your area, then it's a great bike.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Z3n posted:

It's a great all arounder. Heavier than an SV, lower powered, and older, but the precursor to it, and a hell of a fun bike to ride. I'd try and find an SV, considering Gen 1s are available for that price if you can find a deal, but if they're not in your area, then it's a great bike.

SV s are around, but I just don't like 'em. Something about the way they look or feel or something. I liked riding my brother's ex500 better than my friend's SV.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Leroy Diplowski posted:

SV s are around, but I just don't like 'em. Something about the way they look or feel or something. I liked riding my brother's ex500 better than my friend's SV.

Make sure that you don't have the same complaint about the hawk then, if it's the Vtwin engine that you don't like about the SV.

Otherwise, that's a perfectly legit reason to not want an SV. :)

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Leroy Diplowski posted:

How about an EX500 then?

Or am I missing something? It's perfect for what you say you want to do, and cheaper (surely?).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I offered this guy a cool $10.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/mcy/2076967175.html

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Leroy Diplowski posted:

How about a Suzuki Bandit? Good-natured, easy to handle power, very reliable mechanicals and a choice of standard and sport riding positions. Just don't get a 1200/1250 ;)

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

"Format America posted:

Like, having to run over all the women who throw themselves in front of it due to the irresistible panty-dropping attraction?
As a woman, I'm not quite so concerned with the panty-dropping...
I didn't get any "PDA" at all on the KLR (mostly, it was "gawking in horror"), but now that I traded for a DRZ it's a different story altogether. With the LONG TRAVEL SUSPENSION, I hardly notice the bumps at all. When I'm not wheeling, that is.

It'll be a different story for you on the Gladius, though. You'll DEFINITELY notice the bumps with that miniscule street oriented suspension travel.
Also, when you're dressed like a Power Ranger on a Gladius, you'll still get panties (however misguidedly dropped) caught in the chain, on the kickstand, on the turnsignals, and on the mirrors.

I save them and use them for keeping the chain clean. Some of the skimpier ones are great for cleaning that little space between the links. :v:

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
$5.5k out the door, MSRP @ $6.8k. I feel like I got a hell of a deal. Waiting on credit approval (drat you holiday weekend!), wrapping it up and driving home on Monday.

\/\/\/: http://www.delandmotorsports.com/ Super nice general manager, great buying experience so far. I simply asked them what the best was that they could offer and we settled on that price after a bit of talking.

FormatAmerica fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 27, 2010

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
Congrats man! That is a hell of a deal. Those pics sure do make it look good. Does the dealer where you bought it have a website by any chance?

Edit: Forgot to mention, take a look at your interest rate and all the fine print in that line of credit. I know it somewhat goes without saying but some of the ways a dealer will get you back on a good deal is to make sure any money they lose on a deal they make back in financing.

BaKESAL3 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 27, 2010

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Looking for a first bike. Found this http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/2079695524.html guy said bike has 22k miles and crabs were rebuilt at 17k. Does it sound reasonable?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Russian Bear posted:

Looking for a first bike. Found this http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/2079695524.html guy said bike has 22k miles and crabs were rebuilt at 17k. Does it sound reasonable?

If it comes with the stock wooden mallet then its a great deal. ;)

Looks like a ~2000 MY bike, so its about 10ish years old at this point. That's not terribly high mileage, and if its seen regular maintenance it should be fine. Check when the valves were last adjusted, ask if he knows if the cam chain tensioner has ever been replaced, and check stuff like the date on the tires (if they're more than 4-5 years old, or dry-rotting, they'll need to be replaced), the chain, the brake fluid, etc. Seat's also torn up in that shot a little, and it looks like its been dropped at least once as the front signal isn't stock (can't tell if its just artifacting, or if its also got the telltale rash on the outermost corner of the front fairing as well).

I'd say that's a fine starting point, but try to talk him down a bit.

Oh and before you get your hopes up, a Ninja 250 is never going to be a "really classy bike." :v:

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 28, 2010

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

edit: disregard. Whoops.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Probably Hates You posted:

Congrats man! That is a hell of a deal. Those pics sure do make it look good. Does the dealer where you bought it have a website by any chance?

Edit: Forgot to mention, take a look at your interest rate and all the fine print in that line of credit. I know it somewhat goes without saying but some of the ways a dealer will get you back on a good deal is to make sure any money they lose on a deal they make back in financing.

I'll make sure to cover the fine print, but I'm not too worried about the interest rate. I have perfect credit...just not much of it so the loan is really a credit-building choice- planning on paying the bike off in 6 to 8 months.

Tomorrow afternoon I should be driving my new baby home :)

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

good info

Hah oops typo. He said the bike is a 98 and ya i know she won't be a looker, but i'm ok with that.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I've got a 1985 Honda CB450SC and I'm looking to move up to something just a little more powerful and (more importantly) reliable. I'm going to be using the bike as a daily commuter to work (just a 5 mile commute) and I would feel more comfortable not messing around with something so old.

A friend of mine's coworker is selling his 2003 Honda 599. Asking price is $3200, with the following specs:

quote:

45mpg, ~25k miles, amazingly maintained, records included just had inspection C ($1300), which made it ride like new kbb value $3660. one scrape on the tank. matte black paint. various new parts: new clutch/brake/rotors/k&n filter/jump stand included.

The price seems to be about inline with other models I saw for sale on the Honda 599 forums.

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Another youthful indiscretion

Agrias120 posted:

I've got a 1985 Honda CB450SC and I'm looking to move up to something just a little more powerful and (more importantly) reliable. I'm going to be using the bike as a daily commuter to work (just a 5 mile commute) and I would feel more comfortable not messing around with something so old.

A friend of mine's coworker is selling his 2003 Honda 599. Asking price is $3200, with the following specs:

The price seems to be about inline with other models I saw for sale on the Honda 599 forums.

I've seen 599's for down around $3000 in the SF Bay Area, but location can make a big difference in pricing. $3200 seems a little high for a 2003, but I've heard they're great bikes, and you could probably talk him down to 3k, bein' a friend of a friend and all.

edit: Check out the "Ridin' in the rain in Maine" thread, that guy did a good long trip on his 599, he might be able to tell you more about day to day handling, etc.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

benwards posted:

I've seen 599's for down around $3000 in the SF Bay Area, but location can make a big difference in pricing. $3200 seems a little high for a 2003, but I've heard they're great bikes, and you could probably talk him down to 3k, bein' a friend of a friend and all.

Sorry; I should have included location. The bike is for sale in the Washington, D.C. area.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

benwards posted:

edit: Check out the "Ridin' in the rain in Maine" thread, that guy did a good long trip on his 599, he might be able to tell you more about day to day handling, etc.

That would be me. I also did a much longer ride through the rockies; you can read about it here : http://warhams.dangerbearing.com/Colorado/

I've also taken my bike on the track and ridden it pretty hard, so I'd say I'm pretty familiar with the bikes handling.

I have almost no complaints. It was my daily rider for about two years, in addition to all the fun stuff I did.

But I'll start with the downsides : There are times when a windshield or handguards would come in handy; mostly when it's cold. Every now and then, there's some buffeting and turbulence, but those are easily dealt with by a proper helmet.

Storage is a DIY affair; my stuff on the longer trips is held on by bungees, ropes, and straps. The gas tank can be a bit on the short side; sometimes I've had the gas light come on at 120 miles. That's probably not an issue for day to day riding, but for long trips through sparsely populated areas, it can become a problem.

I'm 6'1, and sometimes I wish I had more room for my legs.

If you're going to be riding two up a lot, you'll need a better seat, the stock one is too slippery, and it's angled so the passenger is constantly being flung into your back under braking.

Now the good stuff : Right off the bat, the bike is fast, comfortable, and easy to ride. Throw a slightly bigger sprocket on it, and you've got a rocket ship. On the track, I can easily keep up with mid-level riders on full blown sportbikes. There are a lot of upgrades available, but I've left mine mostly stock because it's a perfect balance for what I need. For day to and long distance riding, it's comfortable enough to stay on it all day, but it has the power and performance to be lots of fun when you're in the mood for that. On public roads, this bike has loads more performance than you'll ever safely use, but it won't kill your back and wrists on long rides.

I would have no problem recommending this as a 2nd bike for someone who's been riding a while. It's also incredibly reliable, and I haven't had any major service issues in 13,000 miles. Mine is carbureted, which means I can do pretty much all the work on it myself.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Agrias120 posted:

About the only thing you need to pay attention to is whether the camchain tensioner is toast. You would think if he's just been suckered out of $1300, his stealership would have noticed that sort of thing, but you never know with dealers.

They're excellent commuters, and you can buy any number of aftermarket screens to give you a bit more wind protection (you'll still need bar muffs and/or heated grips if you're going to be riding in winter, though.

Honda apparently have a warehouse full of absolutely terrible shocks designed for linkageless rear ends left over from 1971, because they put the same thing on the 599 that they stuck on my 1988 CBR400RR. Where it was also poo poo. It's not an issue commuting, as long as the shock still works, but they definitely benefit from an aftermarket shock. In hot weather on a twisty road, it's like riding a pogo stick. But that's probably just like your CB450, so you may not notice the difference.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Saga posted:

About the only thing you need to pay attention to is whether the camchain tensioner is toast. You would think if he's just been suckered out of $1300, his stealership would have noticed that sort of thing, but you never know with dealers.

They're excellent commuters, and you can buy any number of aftermarket screens to give you a bit more wind protection (you'll still need bar muffs and/or heated grips if you're going to be riding in winter, though.

Honda apparently have a warehouse full of absolutely terrible shocks designed for linkageless rear ends left over from 1971, because they put the same thing on the 599 that they stuck on my 1988 CBR400RR. Where it was also poo poo. It's not an issue commuting, as long as the shock still works, but they definitely benefit from an aftermarket shock. In hot weather on a twisty road, it's like riding a pogo stick. But that's probably just like your CB450, so you may not notice the difference.

Last time I checked, unfortunately, aftermarket rear shocks didn't exist. I think I saw some guys on a 599 forums who did a big enough group buy to get a custom batch made at a reasonable price, but I've yet to find a drop in replacement.

The front forks, however, are a perfect fit with the forks from an F4i, and those are available on eBay for about $150. I am considering doing that upgrade this winter.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Pagan posted:

Last time I checked, unfortunately, aftermarket rear shocks didn't exist. I think I saw some guys on a 599 forums who did a big enough group buy to get a custom batch made at a reasonable price, but I've yet to find a drop in replacement.

The front forks, however, are a perfect fit with the forks from an F4i, and those are available on eBay for about $150. I am considering doing that upgrade this winter.

Are you saying that Honda USA had the rear end geometry specially altered for the "599"? If you say so I'll believe you, but AFAIK a 599 = a CB600F Hornet. And there are 1,001 rear shock options for the Hornet.

Ohlins alone has 3. IIRC they should also be available from Wilbers, Hyperpro, EMC, Hagon, Maxton Engineering and Nitron in various flavours/$$$.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Thanks for all of the awesome responses. I'm going to go check out the bike in a few weeks, and depending on how it feels, I'll probably get it. I'm a little bit worried that I seem to be doubling my bhp going from the CB450 to the 599, but I guess you gotta become a big boy sometime :shobon:. It helps that I'm pretty conservative/not heavy on the throttle.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Since "biekwiki" in the OP is down, and "bikewiki" seems to be for bicycles, can anyone tell me what I should definitely be checking when buying a second-hand bike? So far I've though of:

- Service history
- Kilometres
- Registration and insurance

What else? This will be my first bike.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Agrias120 posted:

Thanks for all of the awesome responses. I'm going to go check out the bike in a few weeks, and depending on how it feels, I'll probably get it. I'm a little bit worried that I seem to be doubling my bhp going from the CB450 to the 599, but I guess you gotta become a big boy sometime :shobon:. It helps that I'm pretty conservative/not heavy on the throttle.

I have the later version of the "599"/Hornet (very similar chassis, but in aluminium), but one of the great things about it is its versatility. If you don't go crazy with the throttle, it's happy just to cruise along in a relaxed manner. But if you want to take it to a track day, like Pagan says, or just attack a few corners, it does a decent impression of a CBR600F3 (with a tired shock).

One of the things I like about the Hornet is that it's the only bike I've ever ridden where I don't feel desperately antsy about riding slowly and start freaking out about squaring off my rear tyre, wasting perfectly decent corners etc. When you have lovely weather like we do in the UK, it's nice to ride to work in freezing icy cold not feeling like you have to be a hero, or if you're tired or sick, just to be able to cruise gently along chilling out.

Re: that shock - it turns out truth is stranger than fiction. The Nitron "sport" series shock for my '07 Hornet is actually the same unit Nitron spec for the NC29. So the stock shock sitting in my garage really IS something Honda had sitting around from the days of the late-80s iterations of the CBR400RR. Holy loving poo poo.

http://www.nitron.jp/mc/index.php

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

freebooter posted:

Since "biekwiki" in the OP is down, and "bikewiki" seems to be for bicycles, can anyone tell me what I should definitely be checking when buying a second-hand bike? So far I've though of:

- Service history
- Kilometres
- Registration and insurance

What else? This will be my first bike.

This is a good place to start:

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

Be warned that is it extremely thorough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Saga posted:

Are you saying that Honda USA had the rear end geometry specially altered for the "599"? If you say so I'll believe you, but AFAIK a 599 = a CB600F Hornet. And there are 1,001 rear shock options for the Hornet.

Ohlins alone has 3. IIRC they should also be available from Wilbers, Hyperpro, EMC, Hagon, Maxton Engineering and Nitron in various flavours/$$$.

That would be good news, actually. But every time I've looked, people online act like it's a big deal.

I've also never been too serious about upgrading mine. I've got a dedicated track bike, and I figured I'd rather keep my 599 (which yes, is the exact same thing as a CB600F) stock. It's comfortable, and after enough time on the track to reach it's limits, I know I will never ever ride anywhere close to that on a public road.