Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mizaria
Nov 25, 2010
Actually I got one that I did, "live" - not exactly what you were perhaps looking for but:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aj3drzXP64

xx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.

Mizaria posted:

So have always kinda thought that mashups CAN be a decent way of rejuvenating a has-been track, and splicing it with another similar sounding track, to the benefit of both tracks. However, there are ridiculous amounts of AWFUL homemade and so-called professional mashups on the web, I kinda wondered as to people's opinions on said 'technique' in terms of enjoyment and/or if they have any decent ones they swear by, orrr any they absolutely hate?

I quite liked the Bob Sinclair/Craig David - World Hold On For Hot Stuff (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP1NKh7Kpyg) - not entirely sure whether this was official or not?

And there was also: Britney/Linkin Park - Toxic/Faint (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTB35xttygQ)

Have checked and re-checked the rules, so am hoping this (as my premier post) doesn't break an inordinate amount of rules before I even get going?

x

Just don't sign your posts.

On the subject though someone put together Guetta's "Memories" and "Like a G6" and while a lot of people were trashing it, I think I would rather listen to it than either of the songs on their own. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAQB1VwDZ7A

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd5TGiDv4Fw

autotuned kurt cobain :allears:

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

flatluigi posted:

Counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd5TGiDv4Fw

autotuned kurt cobain :allears:

this is god awful.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

This just showed up on E-603's FB account. I like it, and hope he releases another album soon of this calibre.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Nam Taf posted:

This just showed up on E-603's FB account. I like it, and hope he releases another album soon of this calibre.

Yeah that's a really nice song I want another album!

Can someone who's downloaded it mirror it? My download is taking a super long time.

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Nam Taf posted:

this however is awesome. E-603 is so retarded dope.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Can someone who's downloaded it mirror it? My download is taking a super long time.

Probably a bit late now but whatever.

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Nam Taf posted:

Probably a bit late now but whatever.

Thanks man. Didn't feel like looking at Pete Wentz' ugly mug every time I want to hear that track.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Reading all the positive All Day reviews and clueless press-kit John Oswald/Plunderphonics name-drops has me in a lovely mood so if you haven't already you need to listen to Raiding the 20th Century before I break your face. Which I assume is most of you. It might be six years dated but it's still the best audio history of reappropriation I think anyone could ask for. Between this and the strides made since (yes this in some small way includes Night Ripper), anyone who legitimately thinks anything Greg Gillis does anymore is "transformative" needs to jam this through their earhole and then either wise up or maybe die or something else unpleasant.

Tracklist/credits and a link-through to my link are here.

Now this thread can vanish into nothingness again.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Raiding the 20th Century is absolutely brilliant and if you haven't heard it you should drop what you're doing and listen to it right now.

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

flatluigi posted:

Raiding the 20th Century is absolutely brilliant and if you haven't heard it you should drop what you're doing and listen to it right now.

I'll agree that some of it is really good & a lot of it is cool & interesting (I am sitting in a room, etc etc) but that being said a lot of it is relatively painful to listen to. I'm talking mostly about the actual "mash-ups" that really didn't grab me & just kinda sounded eh.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Gaspar Lewis posted:

Between this and the strides made since (yes this in some small way includes Night Ripper), anyone who legitimately thinks anything Greg Gillis does anymore is "transformative" needs to jam this through their earhole and then either wise up or maybe die or something else unpleasant.

I just enjoy All Day as a fun album and not as anything that pushes the envelope where do I fit in to this worldview?

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
You don't 'fit', and nobody said you have to. It's just that you don't enter into the dialog. If you don't want to engage your music on a deeper level and try to understand the context of it, or hold it to the same standards you hold other art, that's your hang-up.

Then again I also didn't think All Day was any fun either; it felt rote and uninspired. If there was any joy or spark of his personality in there I missed it, other than the handful of parts I got into. It was a big step back for him both technically and in just being something I'd ever want to listen to more than once.

Just know that if the next album is even worse, it's the fault of people like you for not wanting anything better, or anything more.

:)

xdrquinnx
May 5, 2002

OlympicHero posted:

Kids and Explosions, more disjointed and slower than Girl Talk but I prefer it..

Could only find two tracks on youtube which aren't his best to be honest but: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvlWi_HbWrw

Pay what you want for the album here (including 0): http://www.kidsandexplosions.com/shitcomputer/

I'm really happy I clicked on that album link. It's a nice change from the slick Girl Talk-style mashups. Thanks.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

I was recently introduced to mashup artist Norwegian Recycling and man, am I ever impressed. He has 3 mashup albums available on his website and from beginning to end they're solid and consistently good.

This is probably my favourite track of his so far: http://norwegianrecycling.net/2010/09/be-like-a-dosed-black-eyed-gary/

Also, I recently downloaded the new Ludachrist but was disappointed that it wasn't available as separate tracks.

...so I separated them myself. I'd love to offer up the split-tracks version (if it's not available anywhere else), but don't really have anywhere to host it.

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Oggumogoggum posted:

I was recently introduced to mashup artist Norwegian Recycling and man, am I ever impressed. He has 3 mashup albums available on his website and from beginning to end they're solid and consistently good.

This is probably my favourite track of his so far: http://norwegianrecycling.net/2010/09/be-like-a-dosed-black-eyed-gary/

Also, I recently downloaded the new Ludachrist but was disappointed that it wasn't available as separate tracks.

...so I separated them myself. I'd love to offer up the split-tracks version (if it's not available anywhere else), but don't really have anywhere to host it.

You can use sendspace or megaupload for that kind of thing.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Here is a .7z of the new Ludachrist album, split into 25 tracks according to the .txt file that comes with the original download. I fine-tuned the precise location of track changes (the .txt file is only specific down to the second) to make sure they flowed well.

http://ge.tt/4nUX4dd

Malsgrein fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 1, 2010

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Oggumogoggum posted:

Here is a .7z of the new Ludachrist album, split into 25 tracks according to the .txt file that comes with the original download. I fine-tuned the precise location of track changes (the .txt file is only specific down to the second) to make sure they flowed well.

http://ge.tt/4tGT4ck

Thanks for this!

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Oggumogoggum posted:

Hey, thanks! I wanted something like this, but was too lazy to do it myself!

Frisbee
Nov 21, 2005

OlympicHero posted:

Kids and Explosions, more disjointed and slower than Girl Talk but I prefer it..

Could only find two tracks on youtube which aren't his best to be honest but: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvlWi_HbWrw

Pay what you want for the album here (including 0): http://www.kidsandexplosions.com/shitcomputer/

xdrquinnx posted:

I'm really happy I clicked on that album link. It's a nice change from the slick Girl Talk-style mashups. Thanks.

I like this album a lot! It's got such a different feel to it from a lot of the other stuff in this thread, but I can't stop listening to it.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Frisbee posted:

I like this album a lot! It's got such a different feel to it from a lot of the other stuff in this thread, but I can't stop listening to it.

Yeah I really really enjoy the editing done on the opening track it is just so perfect. Why doesn't anyone else edit vocals like that?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The Law and Order section of Talk is Cheap is killer.

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.
Did he ever get around to releasing the 320 version of Talk is Cheap?

PunkAssBookJockey
Mar 25, 2007

baberaham lincoln posted:

Thanks dude. I'm not sure how lit critty any of my senior thesis will be, but I am intrigued by that. Have you ever seen any of Burrow's 'Cutups'? He was essentially doing what you're describing, but with famous books instead of music in the public domain (actually, I'm not sure if all of 24 Hours was in the public domain, but I'm pretty sure that most of Since I Left You is. Also, Aus copyright law is wonky and I don't understand it, so maybe they have a more all-encompassing public domain).

Could you point me in the direction of these cutups? I know it's not exactly on topic, but that's really interesting to me, and Google did me no favors.

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
loving hell. I had listened to the new Girl Talk and I liked it alright. But then I listened to Talk is Cheap and holy poo poo, this is just so much better. This just feels like it took so much more workmanship and hardwork.

DanManIt
Sep 5, 2008
Talk is Cheap is so drat good it is amazing. The new Girl Talk is decent, I like the bonnaroo recording a lot better though.

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004
Personally, Easter Egg was my favorite non Girl Talk mash-up artist. Thanks to the guy who posted the Ludachrist. My friends were into the original stuff he put out, me not so much, but I'll check it out.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
I went to the Pittsburgh show tonight; definitely the first show at the venue and possibly the first with the new (spoilered for people attending future shows who don't like to know stuff in advance) video screeens showing various things, including crowd footage and (at least in this case) Pittsburgh stuff. A lot of fantastic re-mashes of materials from the past three albums plus new elements like the backing track of gently caress You, the piano part from Runaway, and even a verse from this, although I doubt he'll drop that outside of his hometown. Not much else to say, because it's still a Girl Talk crowd and it's still a Girl Talk show. Javelin, by the way, killed it in their opening set.

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Z.S. Ghost posted:

I went to the Pittsburgh show tonight; definitely the first show at the venue and possibly the first with the new (spoilered for people attending future shows who don't like to know stuff in advance) video screeens showing various things, including crowd footage and (at least in this case) Pittsburgh stuff. A lot of fantastic re-mashes of materials from the past three albums plus new elements like the backing track of gently caress You, the piano part from Runaway, and even a verse from this, although I doubt he'll drop that outside of his hometown. Not much else to say, because it's still a Girl Talk crowd and it's still a Girl Talk show. Javelin, by the way, killed it in their opening set.

JAVELIN is opening for him?! They're from my hometown & so totally awesome. Do you know if they're touring with him, or if they just happened to be there?

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
It was Boaz and Javelin for just last night's show. Tonight it's Big KRIT and someone else, and I don't think the touring opener has been announced yet.

Aerobic Robot
Dec 11, 2007

ASK ME HOW I HAVE CRYING MELTDOWNS ABOUT BEING A GAY FURRY. PS, I'M 16 YEARS OLD
That Kids & Explosions reminds me of some guy I stumbled across looking for lovely music on Bandcamp. It's not exactly the best, but it's an interesting listen.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Gaspar Lewis posted:

You don't 'fit', and nobody said you have to. It's just that you don't enter into the dialog. If you don't want to engage your music on a deeper level and try to understand the context of it, or hold it to the same standards you hold other art, that's your hang-up.

Then again I also didn't think All Day was any fun either; it felt rote and uninspired. If there was any joy or spark of his personality in there I missed it, other than the handful of parts I got into. It was a big step back for him both technically and in just being something I'd ever want to listen to more than once.

Just know that if the next album is even worse, it's the fault of people like you for not wanting anything better, or anything more.

:)

Oh, shut up. Just because something is crafted primarily to be fun doesn't eliminate its value as "art." It's just as hard to craft a piece of purely "pop" art as it is to craft some groundbreaking work -- maybe even slightly more so, because you don't get the points for the effort or ambition

That last line, in particular, is the most bullshit elitist statement that you possibly could have come up with. As far as whether or not "All Day" is transformative, it certainly is more so than, for example, the B.I.G./XX album linked to earlier, which doesn't do anything different than "Stroke of Genie-us." You know what though: it's still entertaining.

Seriously, though, go gently caress yourself with that kind of attitude.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

The Modern Leper posted:

Oh, shut up. Just because something is crafted primarily to be fun doesn't eliminate its value as "art." It's just as hard to craft a piece of purely "pop" art as it is to craft some groundbreaking work -- maybe even slightly more so, because you don't get the points for the effort or ambition

That last line, in particular, is the most bullshit elitist statement that you possibly could have come up with. As far as whether or not "All Day" is transformative, it certainly is more so than, for example, the B.I.G./XX album linked to earlier, which doesn't do anything different than "Stroke of Genie-us." You know what though: it's still entertaining.

Maybe you just missed the part of his post where he addressed this, but he says right there that he didn't think All Day was any fun and I totally agree, Gillis has completely folded down to formula and away from the impulse to make interesting music that made Night Ripper a genuinely good album.

Just because he's coming in here with an opinion that the new GT is a piece of poo poo doesn't mean he has to go gently caress himself.

Also, the fact that another album is worse doesn't make All Day any better.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

kingcobweb posted:

Maybe you just missed the part of his post where he addressed this, but he says right there that he didn't think All Day was any fun and I totally agree, Gillis has completely folded down to formula and away from the impulse to make interesting music that made Night Ripper a genuinely good album.

Just because he's coming in here with an opinion that the new GT is a piece of poo poo doesn't mean he has to go gently caress himself.

Also, the fact that another album is worse doesn't make All Day any better.

I read it: he accepted for the sake of argument that fun was a worthy motive, then said that he didn't find the album fun. He basically said "Even if we were to assume . . . ." for one sentence. The ultimate thrust of his post, however, was that enjoying music for its surface qualities or "merely" for its ability to entertain makes someone at fault for lovely music.

EDIT: I'm honestly not even defending the album. It's solid, but at a few points he aims for recognition over a good mix. I love Radiohead and Toadies, but dwelling on those tracks pretty much capsizes the two best tracks on the album. I'm attacking the underlying elitist tone in his post, though that may be a fool's errand in NMD.

EDIT: Not worth bumping up the thread, but I did read his post. He said that if you don't want to read into music, that's your "hang up," but you only have yourself to blame for crappy music.

Gaspar Lewis posted:

If you don't want to engage your music on a deeper level and try to understand the context of it, or hold it to the same standards you hold other art, that's your hang-up.

The middle paragraph did say that he found the album rote, etc., but that was responding directly to the argument that someone enjoyed the album as fun ("Then again . . "). Even if you think that fun is the barometer, he thinks the album failed, but he clearly rejects the idea that fun should be a valid primary analysis.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 5, 2010

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
You should really read his post again, dude

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

The Modern Leper posted:

Right, well I'm glad that we're taking the time to put intention into Greg Gillis' mouth for him. The fact that he described All Day as, "[being] ... more dynamic and expressing more patience and being more detailed than before" and "... something that's really, really complicated and has material that jumps around as far as possible in genre and style...", as well as "...[hoping] it can be headphone music..." suggests to me that Gillis wasn't shooting for something that is "crafted primarily to be fun" (source: http://pitchfork.com/news/40515-girl-talk-dishes-on-new-lp/). If Gillis wants Girl Talk to play art, as he did with the first 3 GT albums (and I mean the real first three albums because I am a real person who doesn't ignore whole chunks of an artist's catalog just because I don't like it), than both he and his work have to be able to withstand artistic criticism.

Like Gaspar said, if you want to listen to mash-ups simply because they're fun, you're free to do so. No one is going to stop you, and while I think (or, mayhaps, some of the posters in this thread might think) that you'll be missing out on one of the more interesting aspects of mash-ups and bootlegs, you will undoubtedly still be able to enjoy All Day while hanging out with friends or going for a jog. But your idea that Gaspar is somehow morally objectionable for voicing an artistic critique of a work, whose own author intended it to be received "as art", is way more silencing and pretentious than his own response (which, for the record, I found to be very sane and rational and essentially on target. I probably wouldn't have been so hard in admonishing fans of the album, but you also have to remember that this is a board on a humor website and who gives a poo poo).

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
Also, I don't think anyone has mentioned Wise Blood yet. It's a nice refreshing take on mash-ups, perhaps a mash-up artist for the "chillwave" bedroom pop era. Dude self-identaifes at With House, but it doesn't have the dark quality that witch house does. I'm still waiting for someone to do a super dark and heavy mash-up project. I guess No Virgins remix of 'I'm Da poo poo' is what I'll have to settle for. Anyways, Wise Blood's 5-song EP is available for free on Wise Blood's band-camp: http://hazemotes.bandcamp.com/

baberaham lincoln fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 5, 2010

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
D'awwww, you guys.

BL: "STRT SRNS" and "Hannah Motown" are sick. Gonna keep an eye on him for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I think All Day is loving rad. "Let It Out" is damned amazing.

Disregarding the album as "rote and uninspired" just looks pretentious when it sounds so great, and is unintentionally hilarious.