Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

luscious posted:

Paterson was afraid of hands at first. We got around it by petting him with our feet until he understood that hands are for loving, not hurting. He could try to do that for a little while and see if that helps.

She has been comfortable with me petting her for a few weeks now. I think he was just getting frustrated when she'd run away, and reinforcing her fear by acting exasperated when she ran away. He'd usually pet her once and then she'd run off. I also think he hasn't had good luck finding her when she wants pets, so he pets her when she wants to explore, whereas I'm around her more and pet her when she wants it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

luscious posted:

Paterson was afraid of hands at first. We got around it by petting him with our feet until he understood that hands are for loving, not hurting.

:cry: I was cutting onions earlier, honest.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Skizzles posted:

Um... what advice would you guys have for a rabbit noob who just found an abandoned rabbit? :ohdear: I was walking my dog in the park, and I saw some sort of cage in the bushes. I thought it was a trap for a pesky raccoon or something, but I got closer and realized it was a bent-up small animal cage. I got even closer, and realized said small animal was still in it (despite the door being open).

It had been raining all night and day and so the poor thing's cage was flooded and it was sopping wet, cold and miserable. :( So I grabbed the cage and brought it home to get it dry and fed. While carrying it I noticed it has a nasty wound on its side. :(

The bunny is dry and warm now. It's acting normally, eating well, grooming, etc. It LOVES head scratches and seems pretty friendly - it's not even scared of our cats. I just went up to the pet store and bought some Carefresh bedding and generic rabbit food pellets, but I'm guessing there's better stuff out there. Also got it some chew sticks which he/she quite likes.

I would absolutely love to keep the little thing, but we live with my boyfriend's parents and his dad's allergic (plus our 3 cats and big dog are enough for me). So I'm going to try and find it a good home. I just don't understand how anyone could abandon such a sweet, adorable thing. :(

Aw man, this tempts me even though I don't think I could bond again. Where are you located? I might be able to find a rescue for it.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I'm in Louisville, KY.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
Lola decided to help me do science:

Also, does it look like her cage is big enough to last a few more weeks? I want to find a good used kennel, but it takes time. It took me 2 days to resell the lovely one I bought before, since there's a bunch of scarcity.

(I know her cage looks Spartan, but I swear she likes it that way. She kept moving her grass mat up against the wall, and she tosses her wood toys in her water. I just leave her stuff around her room. She also made a really neat diffusion bridge out of a paper towel, causing all of her water to transfer to her food dish. She's so smart!)

Edit: I don't know what's wrong with people. I was just checking Craigslist for crates, and someone said they're letting their dwarf bunny (that they've had for 2 years) go free if no one takes it by Friday. It just started snowing here, and in the ad they said the rabbit probably would die from cats and dogs next door. What the hell?

dopaMEAN fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 2, 2010

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

your reviews aren't that good

Skizzles posted:

vet

This all sounds very promising! Sounds like you are getting good info but I would agree with alucinor on asking follow-up questions on Monday. You are doing great!

dopaMEAN posted:

What do you guys do when you leave town? I'm going to be gone for a week around Christmas, and my friend did offer to watch my cats, but I'm not sure if she could do the bunny too. I'm worried she won't get any out-of-cage time. That's why I'm kind of stressed about finding her a bigger cage right now.

I usually ask whoever is taking care of him to come over and watch TV or something at my place for an hour and let him run around, giving him greens before they leave to make it easier to coax him back into his condo. One time the petsitter did their laundry at my place, which let him have a few hours of running time.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

dopaMEAN posted:

Also, does it look like her cage is big enough to last a few more weeks?

Yes, she should be fine, especially if she's getting regular outtime. She's not going to spring up to 8lbs overnight.

dopaMEAN posted:

Edit: I don't know what's wrong with people. I was just checking Craigslist for crates, and someone said they're letting their dwarf bunny (that they've had for 2 years) go free if no one takes it by Friday. It just started snowing here, and in the ad they said the rabbit probably would die from cats and dogs next door. What the hell?

What I don't understand is how people can do this, but if you say "just take it to the shelter and let them euthanize it", they go "OMG THAT'S CRUUUUEEEELLLLLL!!!" If someone came to me and was just upfront that "I've had this rabbit for years, I'm bored with it, nobody else wants it, can you kill it for me?" I'd be annoyed, but not actually infuriated.

A special place in hell, is all I want for Christmas.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Skizzles posted:

I'm in Louisville, KY.

Bah. Keep us updated as to what happens :)

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

alucinor posted:

What I don't understand is how people can do this, but if you say "just take it to the shelter and let them euthanize it", they go "OMG THAT'S CRUUUUEEEELLLLLL!!!" If someone came to me and was just upfront that "I've had this rabbit for years, I'm bored with it, nobody else wants it, can you kill it for me?" I'd be annoyed, but not actually infuriated.

And the thing is, around where I live at least - there's no guarantee a rabbit will get euthanized for going in the shelter. It may be eventually, but the shelters here try to adopt the animals out for a while and only euthanize them when there's absolutely no room or resources left to care for the animal. So taking an animal to a shelter isn't 'sentencing it to death', there's just a (in some cases, pretty high) possibility it may come to be euthanized and you're rolling the dice. But I'd rather someone give the animal the chance to be adopted by someone else before getting put to sleep over letting it 'free', which is almost certain death.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

StrangersInTheNight posted:

And the thing is, around where I live at least - there's no guarantee a rabbit will get euthanized for going in the shelter.

That's true of most major cities nowadays (except the ones who are so overcrowded that they euthanize everything that comes in). Even some of the backwaters in NC and SC who gas 90% of their intakes and who will hand you any animal for $5, will at least keep a rabbit on the adoption list for a week or two.

I think it partly has to do with people being unable to take personal responsibility for anything. They delude themselves into thinking "This way, nobody can say I sentenced him to death, since there was a good chance he went feral and became leader of the wild rabbits and is living a happy life".

But it also has to do with the fact that the economy sucks so bad that everyone is dumping animals and there are shelters where they euthanize everything within 72 hours of intake. I have had three people contact me in the last three days who have found abandoned guinea pigs or rabbits; in two cases, still in their cages, left out by dumpsters. Those people probably told themselves "He's too cute to die! Even though I can't afford to take care of him anymore, and even though the fact that shelter is full means that nobody else can afford it either, I'm sure SOMEONE will find him and give him a great home." :downs:

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
If I couldn't find anyone to take my rabbits and was that serious about getting rid of them I would try, try, try but if no one took them I would get them put down. Honestly, they need to be together. NEED TO BE TOGETHER and I can't be sure that a shelter would adopt them out together (or that someone would keep them a pair after they were adopted out together) and if they had to stay in a small cage with random people around for months I would feel even worse.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
We're having a really bad bunny day today. Lola decided she wanted to eat cords underneath the couch and Doc Faustus moved the couch to get her to stop. Cue tons and tons of thumping. So she got put back in the office with me, where I could keep a good eye on her (she's usually fine in the living room, if she does go for cords she usually stops when we interfere). After thumping for awhile she hopped up on her ottoman and let me pet her for ~30 minutes. As soon as Doc Faustus came in to say hi she went back into bad bunny mode. I left the room to talk to him for a second and she knocked my brand new wireless mouse off of the ottoman (I was stupid for leaving it there, I was petting her with one hand and scrolling with the other) and ate some of the rubber on the scroll wheel.

Is this going to be a huge problem? Should I do anything special to make sure she's okay? It was like a 1cm long bit, as wide as a scroll wheel and maybe 1.5mm deep?

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

She's probably just acting up because she's mad. They are very expressive animals and she's shunning him and being bad. This is probably because she doesn't understand how to get good attention from him and being naughty gets reactions from him.

Try to bond them two by hand-feeding and getting him to lay around on the floor with the two of you. Play with her together... show her that he's a friend.

Also, you should look up bunny behaviour because it's cute to read about and will give you cues as to their moods based on what they're doing at any given time.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

luscious posted:

She's probably just acting up because she's mad. They are very expressive animals and she's shunning him and being bad. This is probably because she doesn't understand how to get good attention from him and being naughty gets reactions from him.

Try to bond them two by hand-feeding and getting him to lay around on the floor with the two of you. Play with her together... show her that he's a friend.

Also, you should look up bunny behaviour because it's cute to read about and will give you cues as to their moods based on what they're doing at any given time.

I got the message that Doc Faustus was a goon, and not a male bunny who was getting on Lola's case for chewing cords. :)

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
I swear to god that Rabbit has a death wish, with the number of teeth marks in the electrical cords.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

dopaMEAN posted:

Is this going to be a huge problem? Should I do anything special to make sure she's okay? It was like a 1cm long bit, as wide as a scroll wheel and maybe 1.5mm deep?

My rabbit's digested worse and larger things than that, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Do of course pay attention to whether or not she's still eating and pooping regularly, but rabbit owners should do that anyway.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Just wanted to give an update on Cinnabun, complete with pics and video! So far so good, she's keeping her wound clean, taking the antibiotics well and is currently enjoying a newly-cleaned cage. I have quickly learned that if we ever found a way to power everything on rabbit poop the world would NEVER be low on supplies ever. :stare: Also, she REALLY loves carrot tops. Now for the fun part. I cleaned the bathroom up to let her run around in it and got pics/video.

This cardboard house was actually for my cats (yes, one of them chewed all the cardboard around the door there) but I figured she would enjoy it too. She liked dashing in and out of it as quick as she could.

A shot of the wound.

And of course video! I apologize because it's almost 6 minutes long and not actually that interesting.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Skizzles posted:

A shot of the wound.

:drat:

I understand that the vet didn't necessarily want to re-open it, but note that rabbit wounds abscess like crazy (:nms:see?:nms:), and TMZ won't penetrate an abscess capsule. Be sure to palpate in and around the wound daily, and if you feel a firm mass that is mobile against the background of the skeleton, rush her in for a needle to figure out if it really is an abscess.

Goddamn she really makes me miss my big Roo. What a cutie.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Skizzles posted:

A shot of the wound.

:gonk:

Poor bunny. Does it seem to hurt her much?

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

ShadowCatboy posted:

:gonk:

Poor bunny. Does it seem to hurt her much?

She acts like it's not even there. If I touch around it it doesn't seem to bother her. It looked a little worse on the day I found her. She grooms it normally and all that.

Alucinor, I had no idea, I will definitely keep an eye on it.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Skizzles posted:

Well this is weird. I swear I had that same size box from the same company, and of course made a bunny house out of it. I even had a window hole in the same place, although he decided to enlarge it enough that he could fit through it.

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

Skizzles posted:

Just wanted to give an update on Cinnabun, complete with pics and video!

This is one very happy bunny! Cinnabun obviously likes you from the way she grooms you and allows you the "honor" of petting her (in bunny hierarchy terms anyway). I saw what on carpet would have been a binky and the Bunny 500. What a sweet and outgoing girl. It can take weeks, months or even years for a bunny to become comfortable enough around their people to allow that kind of contact seen in the video. (I also enjoyed seeing the "baseball cap ears" curious body language and poking around at the vent and behind the sink.)

You are doing a really great job at providing this bun the environment she needs to heal and be happy! Don't forget to update us about her followup appointment on Monday, I'm sure we'll all be looking forward to hearing how it goes :)

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Anyone ever have a bunny that Snores?
One of my rabbits (buttercup aka crazy biatch :nyd:)is quite vocal always grunting and snorting at me or anyone that does things that displeases her, along with a furious harmless scratch attack. (how she got the 'crazy biatch' nickname)
But I've noticed when she's sleeping that she makes these snorts and noises every time she is asleep.

I'm gonna book a vet appoint sometime soon for my two buns just for a physical anyway but figured I'd ask if anyone has ever had a bunny that does the same.

fake edit: their bedding is just newspaper and timothy hay and a rubber mat for their outer pen, so dust doesn't seem to be the issue.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Yeah, my bitch girl does that!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

luscious posted:

Yeah, my bitch girl does that!

edit:

OH MY GOD Cinnabun loves you so much! What a sweet girl.

Quote does not equal edit :)

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Skizzles posted:

A shot of the wound.

Her stuffing's coming out! Sew her back together.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

luscious posted:

edit:

OH MY GOD Cinnabun loves you so much! What a sweet girl.

Quote does not equal edit :)

D'awww, you guys, I didn't know all that meant a bunny likes someone a lot. :3:

Also, my boyfriend had her on his lap earlier, and one of my cats jumped up and started grooming her head and Cinnabun loved it. It was too cute. :3:

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

Skizzles posted:

Also, my boyfriend had her on his lap earlier, and one of my cats jumped up and started grooming her head and Cinnabun loved it. It was too cute. :3:

Receiving the grooming = is the boss. :3:

Glasgow
Nov 7, 2009

Must you betray me with a kiss?

Skizzles posted:

I am giggling like an idiot. This is great. Just keep an eye on that wound to make sure it doesn't abscess. It seems like she's really happy.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
Just found out I'm allergic to timothy hay--or confirmed rather than found out, anyway, as I haven't been able to breathe since I got Fluffy three months ago and it wasn't too hard to figure out why. Balls.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

blinkeve1826 posted:

Just found out I'm allergic to timothy hay--or confirmed rather than found out, anyway, as I haven't been able to breathe since I got Fluffy three months ago and it wasn't too hard to figure out why. Balls.

What kind are you using? Store-bought hay like Oxbow and Kaytee give me allergies for a good ten minutes solid. We're talking constant sneezing, watering eyes, running nose, itchy skin and rash- the works. The Kleen Mama, however, does not. I chalk it up to the insane amount of dust and particulate that comes off the dried store-bought hay. Kleen Mama appears to have about 95% less, so I can't inhale a good snoot full and get my mucous membranes all in a tizzy.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

pseudonordic posted:

What kind are you using? Store-bought hay like Oxbow and Kaytee give me allergies for a good ten minutes solid. We're talking constant sneezing, watering eyes, running nose, itchy skin and rash- the works. The Kleen Mama, however, does not. I chalk it up to the insane amount of dust and particulate that comes off the dried store-bought hay. Kleen Mama appears to have about 95% less, so I can't inhale a good snoot full and get my mucous membranes all in a tizzy.

Yup, you nailed it--I was using Kaytee and recently switched to Oxbow. Haven't seen Kleen Mama around here, but if all the dust and crap is gone from there it's definitely worth looking into. I'll have a look online, thank you for the recommendation. I'd like to remember what it feels like to breathe again!

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

blinkeve1826 posted:

Yup, you nailed it--I was using Kaytee and recently switched to Oxbow. Haven't seen Kleen Mama around here, but if all the dust and crap is gone from there it's definitely worth looking into. I'll have a look online, thank you for the recommendation. I'd like to remember what it feels like to breathe again!

You won't see it in stores, you have to order it from their site: http://www.kmshayloft.com

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Cinnabun's follow-up went well. The vet felt around the wound and says it is still healing and coming together nicely, plus she's gained a few ounces of weight. She took a couple of pictures to put on Facebook and see if she could help me find a home for her, which was sweet. :) She's in love with Cinnabun and would take her if her husband would let her. :3:

Have yet another appointment on the 18th.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
Awesome. She seems to be such a sweetie

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Skizzles posted:

I'm in Louisville, KY.

I'm sort of not really close to you. I could help by putting bunny pictures on Facebook too and helping you find shelters and stuff -- is there a way to contact you? Neither of us have PMs, looks like.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Skizzles posted:

Cinnabun's follow-up went well. The vet felt around the wound and says it is still healing and coming together nicely, plus she's gained a few ounces of weight. She took a couple of pictures to put on Facebook and see if she could help me find a home for her, which was sweet. :) She's in love with Cinnabun and would take her if her husband would let her. :3:

Have yet another appointment on the 18th.

I can't believe anyone would abandon such an adorable sweet bun-bun! Can we trade? SAMe is a poopyhead little brat and wouldn't come over to me even if I sat on the floor for hours. She only pays attention to me when it's feeding or treat time.

One a different note, does anyone have any suggestions on bunny boarding/ flying with a bun? It appears that only continental lets rabbits fly in-cabin.

Graq
Feb 20, 2007

Dear people on the Internet who don't give a fuck: Mood: Frustrated
Yesterday my roomie and I brought home two three and a half month old girls. Their mother was a hotot but the people at the shelter seem to think they have some English Spot in them.

This is Eyebright, who looks very hototy.

Click here for the full 639x480 image.

Her sister Lavender has spots all over.

Click here for the full 638x478 image.

How likely is it that their dad had English Spot in him? Is it likely they'll stay dwarves or could they become eight pounders?

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Bean posted:

I'm sort of not really close to you. I could help by putting bunny pictures on Facebook too and helping you find shelters and stuff -- is there a way to contact you? Neither of us have PMs, looks like.

Yeah that'd be great. :) My email is lady_skizzy@yahoo.com or if you prefer AIM, my username is The Skizzles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

okiecompy posted:

I can't believe anyone would abandon such an adorable sweet bun-bun! Can we trade? SAMe is a poopyhead little brat and wouldn't come over to me even if I sat on the floor for hours. She only pays attention to me when it's feeding or treat time.

One a different note, does anyone have any suggestions on bunny boarding/ flying with a bun? It appears that only continental lets rabbits fly in-cabin.

You might call around to find bunny-friendly pet sitters! We've got a small, local pet sitting business we use that is very thorough and affordable.