Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Fabricated posted:

I never noticed any contest. What other entries were there?

I mean, whatever group is doing Ippo right now does a plenty good enough job.

Here's a link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Chapters 913, 914, 915, 916 if you haven't seen them already.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I'm cautiously optimistic for this upcoming fight, although it seems like a foregone conclusion it'll end in a slugfest.

EDIT: I am totally optimistic for Takamura's upcoming fight, though.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Morikawa should just gently caress the boxing and make it entirely a gag manga now.

Just stick it in her already!

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
917 is out too actually.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
I wish the anime would start back up again :smith:.

Edit: http://bit.ly/hbIz4r HEH

Frabba fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 5, 2010

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Mr. Deathy posted:

Morikawa should just gently caress the boxing and make it entirely a gag manga now.

Just stick it in her already!

Agreed. The Kimura pedo storyline was hilarious.

Mangastream has picked up Ippo and posted 918 (Count down to the inevitable group drama with Ignition-One).

http://mangastream.com/read/hajime_no_ippo/66161744/1

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I haven't read a chapter of Ippo since I ragequit at 882 because of Woli... Is it safe to resume reading it again?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Indiana_Krom posted:

I haven't read a chapter of Ippo since I ragequit at 882 because of Woli... Is it safe to resume reading it again?

Sadly, it's still terrible. Ippo's new opponent is basically Hoshi 2.0. No idea at all why he is fighting again, everyone wants to see other matches from the supporting characters.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I'm hoping this fight ends up like Ipoo vs Karasawa and he completely dominates him so Ippo can finally move on to the world stage or something, but knowing Mori, it'll last 20 chapters and then he'll go back to the whole "Itagaki vs Ippo" thing :sigh:

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Jedah posted:

Sadly, it's still terrible. Ippo's new opponent is basically Hoshi 2.0. No idea at all why he is fighting again, everyone wants to see other matches from the supporting characters.

You know that's why I'm slightly optimistic this fight wont be a big deal. Like the fact that it's so soon and seems pointless (other than as a reminder that Ippo IS still Japanese champion) hopefully means that it'll be over quickly and just a quick way to show how Ippo doesn't buckle under the pressure of bunches "from 2 divisions higher".

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

More like Wrong Dongson am I right?

Get it?

Because I'm really fucking dumb and annoying and usually have no idea what the fuck I'm talk about.
It'll be interesting to see what the guy thinks is the obvious flaw that everyone is overlooking with regards to Ippo, but that is about it. At the least, hopefully he can take a hit. He is from a few weight classes above Ippo, and so far as I remember he only lost fights to decisions, not downs or KOs. He should at least be someone equipped to deal with Ippo's strategy of standing there and pounding away at people.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Jedah posted:

Really? I'm finding post-Woli perfectly readable. I even enjoyed the Itagaki fight for what it was. It's been ho-hum/formulaic but I wouldn't go as far as terrible. That makes it seem like it's Woli gratingly bad/pointless, which it hasn't been.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Wong Dongson posted:

It'll be interesting to see what the guy thinks is the obvious flaw that everyone is overlooking with regards to Ippo, but that is about it. At the least, hopefully he can take a hit. He is from a few weight classes above Ippo, and so far as I remember he only lost fights to decisions, not downs or KOs. He should at least be someone equipped to deal with Ippo's strategy of standing there and pounding away at people.

I'm guessing he thinks that everyone tries to outbox Ippo to pieces, while Ippo's spent his whole career training anti-Miyata techniques and tactics... so he thinks if he locks down with Ippo and goes into a full-on exchange the champ will crumble faster than people think he would.

But then there was that deep sea fisherman who basically did that, so I dunno.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Are they seriously making us read another loving title defense

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

Get it?

Because I'm really fucking dumb and annoying and usually have no idea what the fuck I'm talk about.

Mystic Mongol posted:

I'm guessing he thinks that everyone tries to outbox Ippo to pieces, while Ippo's spent his whole career training anti-Miyata techniques and tactics... so he thinks if he locks down with Ippo and goes into a full-on exchange the champ will crumble faster than people think he would.

But then there was that deep sea fisherman who basically did that, so I dunno.

Yeah, that is the thing. He's watched people try to outbox, he's watched people try to get in there and just pound him, and he's saying they are all being stupid somehow. After building it up this much, he *better* have some pay-off to all the cockiness.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

He's gonna bring a gun into the ring

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Vagrancy posted:

Mangastream has picked up Ippo and posted 918 (Count down to the inevitable group drama with Ignition-One).

Anyone know a good manga (that has furigana) with readily avialable raws that needs scanning? :qq:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

tbp posted:

Which I don't loving get because he's just defeated the 3 Pacific Champions to become the Unofficial OPBF Champion so he could challenge Miyata to a fight because he pussed out.
Now it looks like we get another loving title defence followed shortly by Itagaki challenging Ippo for the title.

God this series really went to poo poo after Miyata declined their last fight.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Who on earth thought that, after hundreds of chapters, denying the fight between Miyata and Ippo would be a GOOD thing?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ippo needs to pull a Joe on his next fight.

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

Get it?

That's not even what gets me. They shut that down, they move on....and they introduce a new speedster character that wants to fight Ippo working at the same gym.

.....what the gently caress, why not just let him fight Miyata AND SAVE ME THE STUPID loving PUNS AND RAPE FACE?!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
What I'm really anticipating is what kind of dumb gimmick Takamura will show up with when he comes back from his Secret Training.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

tbp posted:

Ippo will never Fight outside Japan, *never*. Neither will Takamura (How come he is not swimming in money?). Because seeing them fight outside Japan would be interesting and the Author cannot have that. Instead, we are doomed to title defense gimmick fight, Itagaki fight, title defense gimmick fight, repeat x 15, and then a final fight against Miyata when the editors decide to mercy kill the series.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

I'm on the fence about seeing Ippo fight Itagaki, I think it might be interesting and I'm hoping for a Date level struggle and finally Ippo loving goes to the world stage. He's insanely to good for Japan at the moment.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
They better speed up Ippo's progress because the amount of fights he's had would be a fine, normal career for any good boxer unless they plan on dragging his career out and show Ippo hitting his physical peak and declining.

They still have some go-to shonen bullshit arcs.

-Someone literally dies in the ring, finally
-Takamura's various championships
-Aoki/Kimura retiring
-Kamogawa dies
-Ippo actually touches someone of the opposite sex

etc etc.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Fabricated posted:

They still have some go-to shonen bullshit arcs.

-Someone literally dies in the ring, finally
-Takamura's various championships
-Aoki/Kimura retiring
-Kamogawa dies
-Ippo actually touches someone of the opposite sex

etc etc.

You know when I was originally catching up in Ippo back in 04 or 05 or something I was shocked this hadn't happened yet. I always assumed maybe that was the route the author was gonna take, that Kamogawa would die and that perhaps Takamura would retire (detatched retina issue, or for some other reason) and take over the gym and take on the old man's goal as respect to the fact he helped him to the top of the world.

As much as people would hate the idea of Takamura not continuing his goal, if Morikawa is losing his touch on fights, I'd rather see the story go in a direction like that where there was genuine emotional impact.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

I'm honestly not looking forward to any of the Takamura World Championship fights except the heavyweight one. I feel like they're gonna be bullshit - Eagle was alright, but nowhere near Hawk.

Twobits
Apr 30, 2007

Mr. Deathy posted:

You know when I was originally catching up in Ippo back in 04 or 05 or something I was shocked this hadn't happened yet. I always assumed maybe that was the route the author was gonna take, that Kamogawa would die and that perhaps Takamura would retire (detatched retina issue, or for some other reason) and take over the gym and take on the old man's goal as respect to the fact he helped him to the top of the world.

As much as people would hate the idea of Takamura not continuing his goal, if Morikawa is losing his touch on fights, I'd rather see the story go in a direction like that where there was genuine emotional impact.

I felt the same way. Ippo is supposed to be a mini Japanese Tyson, so why wouldn't the Japanese Cus D'amato die?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
lets take dumb guesses as to what those wounds on kojima's hands mean (stupid over the top punching boulders training)

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Degenerative nerve disease means he can't feel his hands any more, and they're almost useless. But he can make a fist, and because he can't feel them breaking he can punch harder than anyone else!

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Mystic Mongol posted:

Degenerative nerve disease means he can't feel his hands any more, and they're almost useless. But he can make a fist, and because he can't feel them breaking he can punch harder than anyone else!

That's so loving stupid it's probably what it is :smith:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
He's been handling anacondas so that he can grab Ippo's huge dick and arouse him into submission.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lamebot posted:

lets take dumb guesses as to what those wounds on kojima's hands mean (stupid over the top punching boulders training)

He wants to be as good as Ippo so his training consists of hitting himself in the head until his hands bleed.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

I was re-reading some chapters and I'd like to point out that it was about 300 chapters ago when the coach promised Ippo he could relinquish the Japanese title.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

tbp posted:

I was re-reading some chapters and I'd like to point out that it was about 300 chapters ago when the coach promised Ippo he could relinquish the Japanese title.

It's been like eight hundred chapters since they started circle-jerking about a showdown with Miyata. I seriously cannot think of another absurdly long shonen series that has hosed around and completely ignored the rival-showdown crap for this long.

e: After checking, it has been 905 chapters. They started that poo poo up in chapter 13.

Zellyn fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 14, 2010

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

WeaponBoy posted:

It's been like eight hundred chapters since they started circle-jerking about a showdown with Miyata. I seriously cannot think of another absurdly long shonen series that has hosed around and completely ignored the rival-showdown crap for this long.

e: After checking, it has been 905 chapters. They started that poo poo up in chapter 13.

Technically its not a rivalry anymore as both of them gave up on fighting each other? But I guess that it changed some time within those 300 chapters

Also, more Kojima theories:
1) He injected his hands with adamantium so he could punch as hard as Ippo
2) He grafted the fists of a boxer from a heavier weight-class onto his arms for increased punching power
2) He's developed a punch so fast and hard that the air slices his hands as he throws it
4) Maybe he's just a day laborer and ashamed of his profession :(

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Really don't understand why they couldn't just have Ippo and Miyata fight, then go up two different paths for the World Title and meet again later, this series is loving long, jesus

That said I do like when he fights Randy Boy Jr

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

1) He injected his hands with adamantium so he could punch as hard as Ippo

I'm thinking something like this. Like, he shattered his hand in some accident, and now he has metal plates keeping his hands together. Throw in some 'can't feel anything' voodoo, and bam, you get fists that will destroy Ippo in a punch exchange.

Basically, more excuses for Ippo to get pummeled in the ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I kinda like how Ippo never has to give a poo poo about his weight when literally every other boxer he fights seems to have to kill themselves to make weight. Also, all he does is add muscle between every fight. He's going to be a 4-foot nothing version of the Incredible Hulk by the time this series is through and yet he'll still be a featherweight.