Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Grave $avings posted:

I found a hand-made butcher's block for $5

That butcher block looks really nice. It was way cheaper that my butcher block project. I made a table out of a really big pair. Pictures and details are in the woodworking thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2819334&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=48#post384441597

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gen. Specific
Jan 17, 2004

Hello ladles.
I made a lamp out of coat hangers and about 20 meters of cable (the cable that wraps the skull and ribs powers the lamp)

Click here for the full 528x720 image.

also painted a skateboard i made a few years ago

Click here for the full 2000x1469 image.

Click here for the full 683x1800 image.

have clear coated it now and its really glossy, might get a photo later

ludnix
Jan 8, 2007

by exmarx
Those are some cool looking stuff. Sometimes you can run into issues with wrapping lengths of electrical cable like that, but it looks like it's pretty thick cable so hopefully there won't be a problem. The problem being electromagnetic induction, since transformers are basically designed by wrapping wire around in circles.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Installed an over-the-range microwave. Overall it was painless aside from the top mounting holes being slightly off on the supplied template. $99 at Home Depot, good enough for me.

cycowolf
Feb 14, 2005

Refill my prescription to whatever that thing is that makes the carpet stop turning into snakes in lieu of my coming conniption

Gen. Specific posted:

also painted a skateboard i made a few years ago

Click here for the full 2000x1469 image.

Click here for the full 683x1800 image.

have clear coated it now and its really glossy, might get a photo later

What paints did you use on this? What did you prime it with? I really like it, looks awesome.

Mr.Wizard
Jan 27, 2004
Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt!
That back truck is ancient! Is that a bennett?

Gen. Specific
Jan 17, 2004

Hello ladles.
Whoops, had that set up backwards for the mock photo.

The truck at the back is an ACS-500, they have been re-released but these are original, they turn incredibly well and those bushings are soft as poo poo.

The other pair are tracker racetracks that i have cut down by hand so they are about an inch and a half narrower.

Its just acrylic paint, i bought a kids set of like 24 colours for 7 dollars in an art store. I think there was a thin layer of spray clear coat on the maple from when i made it.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I was bored and depressed earlier this evening, so the wife suggested that building something might cheer me up. We went out to the garage with its inadequate workbenches, scrounged up some scrap lumber -- a 7' board of 1"x8" tongue-and-groove, the railing from the top of a bunk bed, a 6' 4" post that had rotted out of our fence (all of which came with the house), and a 4'x16" sheet of steel. This happened:

:unsmith:

I screwed one piece of the bed rail to the studs, and that's the other between the legs on the front, then cut the 1x8 into 16" pieces to support the top. I'm no cabinetmaker, but it's sturdy enough considering it took an hour and a half to build out of stuff I had on hand, and I'll eventually go buy a bit of 3/4" plywood for the top, and some 2x4s to reinforce it and add a shelf.

(Edit: yes, I used the angle grinder and a 60-grit flap wheel to adjust some crooked cuts. Like I said, I'm no cabinetmaker.)

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 4, 2010

VoidAltoid
Sep 27, 2005

Delivery McGee posted:

I was bored and depressed earlier this evening, so the wife suggested that building something might cheer me up. We went out to the garage with its inadequate workbenches, scrounged up some scrap lumber -- a 7' board of 1"x8" tongue-and-groove, the railing from the top of a bunk bed, a 6' 4" post that had rotted out of our fence (all of which came with the house), and a 4'x16" sheet of steel. This happened:

:unsmith:

I screwed one piece of the bed rail to the studs, and that's the other between the legs on the front, then cut the 1x8 into 16" pieces to support the top. I'm no cabinetmaker, but it's sturdy enough considering it took an hour and a half to build out of stuff I had on hand, and I'll eventually go buy a bit of 3/4" plywood for the top, and some 2x4s to reinforce it and add a shelf.

(Edit: yes, I used the angle grinder and a 60-grit flap wheel to adjust some crooked cuts. Like I said, I'm no cabinetmaker.)

Haha, to a casual observer it might look pitiful, but to anyone who has had to build a table or workbench it's something you can share an approving nod with. Great work, man.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
I decided to make a desk/drafting table the other day. I ended up using scraps from past jobs and just put it together without a tape measure or any plans to speak of.

The top is a solid oak door, and the legs are leftovers from a banister. The rails are some maple I had lying around and a piece of finished baseboard that we had left over as scrap.
I used 2 stainless steel cabinet handles for my pencil holders.
Now all I need to do now is find a drafting base for one of my many Eames Shell Chairs I have lying around.
http://justinmodern.blogspot.com/2010/09/charles-eames-drafting-stool-herman.html

TheGoonspiracist fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 10, 2010

loaf
Jan 25, 2004

I made a breathalyzer with an Arduino and a $5 sensor. Readings are nonlinear but it works for its intended purpose. There was no intended purpose.

code:
int alcPin=5, 
    firstBarPin=2, 
    lastBarPin=11;

void setup() {
  for(int i=firstBarPin; i<=lastBarPin; i++) {
    pinMode(i, OUTPUT);
  }
}

void loop() {
  int i,
      alcReading = analogRead(alcPin),
      nBars = (lastBarPin-firstBarPin+1)*alcReading/1024;
  for(i=lastBarPin; i>=lastBarPin-nBars; i--) {
    digitalWrite(i, HIGH);
  }
  for(i=lastBarPin-nBars; i>=firstBarPin; i--) {
    digitalWrite(i, LOW);
  }
  delay(250);
}

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

coltron4040 posted:

I decided to make a desk/drafting table the other day. I ended up using scraps from past jobs and just put it together without a tape measure or any plans to speak of.

The top is a solid oak door, and the legs are leftovers from a banister. The rails are some maple I had lying around and a piece of finished baseboard that we had left over as scrap.
I used 2 stainless steel cabinet handles for my pencil holders.
Now all I need to do now is find a drafting base for one of my many Eames Shell Chairs I have lying around.
http://justinmodern.blogspot.com/2010/09/charles-eames-drafting-stool-herman.html

I like your caster fix for your yellow chair - I've never seen it done with a tennis ball before. Is that to fix a broken caster, or simply to make it slide on the carpet easier?

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!

Hadlock posted:

I like your caster fix for your yellow chair - I've never seen it done with a tennis ball before. Is that to fix a broken caster, or simply to make it slide on the carpet easier?

A common problem with those Eames fiberglass chairs is the nylon feet break off. Using tennis balls so you don't destroy your floor or carpet is a old school teacher trick.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Have you never seen an old person with a walker? I thought tennis balls came standard.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

I made some etched glasses for my wife's coworker. She's exchanging gifts with us, and I'm flat broke so I made her some custom Buffalo Sabers beer mugs. I got the glasses at the dollar store for $1.25 each which isn't bad. They're nice and heavy. I had to go through the shelf to find ones without flaws in the glass.

I made a stencil of the logo. With the etching creme, you really only get to work with etched and not etched, so I made the stencil one layer.

I printed it onto some 3x5.5" stickers I had laying around, and stuck them onto the mugs. I then cut out all the black areas with a sharp craft knife. I found it worked a lot better to cut on the glass. It makes curves easy because the knife just floats over the glass nice and smoothly.

They didn't turn out too bad!

I found out it's difficult to get a good picture of etched glass in a kitchen with terrible lighting.

I'll pair them with a 6-pack of her favourite beers, and I think it'll be a nice little gift from me to her.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
How did you actually etch the glass? It looks awesome.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

He said glass etching cream, so something like this probably:
http://www.glassetchingsecrets.com/cream.html

And yeah, they do look awesome. (like awesome slugs :v: )

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

You can also get pens or sticks of the glass etching cream which make detail work a lot easier. Bonus: they double as complete douchebag tools; people around here love to throw up their lovely tags on business windows with loving etching cream.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I found an old Mac SE in the trash outside my building.

I can rebuild it.

I can make it better than it was before.

Better.

Faster.

Stronger.

I have the technology.

It's now running Ubuntu on an Atom board and has a touchscreen and an internal barcode scanner, just because. Nenenenenenenene...

(I have way more pictures and this probably does deserve its own thread, but I'm lazy.)

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.
Then post more pictures here! That's a neat build.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

haveblue posted:

old Mac SE

It's now running Ubuntu on an Atom board and has a touchscreen and an internal barcode scanner, just because. Nenenenenenenene...

(I have way more pictures and this probably does deserve its own thread, but I'm lazy.)

Links to atom board + lcd panel? I have about six of these in storage.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hadlock posted:

Links to atom board

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121359 (seems to be discontinued, I bought it nearly a year ago)

quote:

lcd panel

http://www.logicsupply.com/products/800tpc_lh_of

Good luck doing six of them. You can't just slide the parts in like a modern case, there was a lot of customizing with a Dremel involved.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Hadlock posted:

Links to atom board + lcd panel? I have about six of these in storage.
If any of those are SE/30s they might be useful as a gimmick server - the 030+ Macs can run various versions of Linux/Minix/BSD whereas the pre-68030 Macs (Mac SE, Mac 512k, Mac 128k, Mac Plus, Mac Classic/Classic II) cannot. You can drop in a 10/100 Ethernet card and go to town.

Color Classics are pretty valuable to collectors on their own, in case you're lucky enough to have some of those.

Archives
Nov 23, 2008
Any way you could use the original monitors in any of those? That would make it so much cooler.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

landis posted:

Then post more pictures here! That's a neat build.

C&P of thread in YOSPOS about this:

One day I was taking out my garbage and I noticed a small family of Macintoshes sitting with the rest of the trash (because they were macs lol). There was an SE, a Plus, and a Classic II. I rescued all of them but only this SE survived my subsequent move, because it had the most iconic look.

It sat around my apartment for a while before I decided that what I really wanted to do with it was to make a Linux box for home management and automation crap.

Original specs:
-8Mhz 68000
-1MB RAM (out of a maximum 4)
-20MB hard drive
-1.44MB floppy disc removable media
-Screen: 512x384 grayscale CRT

Planned specs:
-1.6Ghz Atom 330 (Intel D945GCLF2 mini-ITX board)
-2GB RAM
-160GB hard drive (not planning to use this for media)
-Slot-loading DVD burner
-800x600 color touchscreen LCD
-Internal bar code scanner because why the hell not, I had it already

So I bought the biggest goddamn Torx screwdriver I had ever seen and cracked it open.

The only parts that got kept were the case and drive mounting bracket, all the old parts got thrown away. The screen would power up if I plugged it in but I had no way to tell if it was functional as I hadn't so much as seen a bootable Mac floppy since last millenium.

First, the floppy slot is lengthened so it can accomodate DVDs.

Then, the port panel is replaced with the metal plate for the motherboard.

The drive cage was made for a full-height 3.5" HD and a 3.5" floppy disk drive, and now it has to accommodate a half-height HD and a 5.25" optical drive.

So I cut a slot in the side of the lower cage for the DVD drive...

And carve a bunch of extra supports for it out of styrofoam.

The hard disk gets mounted like this because a) the screw holes don't quite line up right...

...and b) the CueCat lives under it so that it can poke its nose out through the hole where the HD access light used to be (this bit is really clever- there's light foam packed behind it under pressure so it's being forced through the hole in the front of the case, pressing on the nose now will just make it retract a fraction of an inch and pop back out when you let go).

Meanwhile, the rest of the drive cage is removed because it's banging into the heatsinks.

And the monitor is epoxied to the front of the case in place of the CRT.

The motherboard is screwed onto nuts glued onto the floor of the case so it is in theory replaceable.

The drive cage goes back onto the case front (yes, a hot pink USB cable. shut up).

Power and data are hooked up.

The case actually goes back together very well, it sort of tilts down and drops the drive cage down on the board. I know it is putting pressure on the heatsink but it seems to be handling it ok.

I haven't done anything productive with this yet, all it does is run the matrix screensaver and install software updates. But it's still a hell of a conversation piece.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Please paint it yellow.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

haveblue posted:

case pr0n
Love it, thanks for sharing.

I know you said no media but I can see it being an awesome music server/player. Dunno what Ubuntu has in terms of touch interface stuff but maybe some of their netbook crap would work.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Archives posted:

Any way you could use the original monitors in any of those? That would make it so much cooler.

Technically possible but tricky.

If you're interested in classic Mac mods then check out the 68KMLA sometime.
One mod in particular used the CRT glass to avoid the issue of the LCD not matching the curved bezel exactly. Gives it more of an old-timey feel.

DominionGalactica
Oct 13, 2004

"Defender of the Universe"
I just finished a stool for my sister for christmas. (not the poo kind)

I think it turned out pretty well for never having made a stool before!

The inner workings of the stool:

('scuse crappy phone pics)

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

After the last version of the 30lb robot blew up in testing, nearly killing me, I decided to rework the design, rebuild my 12lb robot and build a 1lb mini version of the 12lb robot.

Here's the exploded parts:

Here's the new robots/chassis:

Here's video of the 12lb robot during the first test drive:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-hX7SNpzcw

Here's video of the 1lb robot during the first test drive:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20dtEp7K9DI

Edit: Got more done, here's the 30lb robots test drive:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSOoSKPUdM8

MikeNCR fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 26, 2010

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

I made some etched glasses for my wife's coworker. She's exchanging gifts with us, and I'm flat broke so I made her some custom Buffalo Sabers beer mugs. I got the glasses at the dollar store for $1.25 each which isn't bad. They're nice and heavy. I had to go through the shelf to find ones without flaws in the glass.

I made a stencil of the logo. With the etching creme, you really only get to work with etched and not etched, so I made the stencil one layer.

I printed it onto some 3x5.5" stickers I had laying around, and stuck them onto the mugs. I then cut out all the black areas with a sharp craft knife. I found it worked a lot better to cut on the glass. It makes curves easy because the knife just floats over the glass nice and smoothly.

They didn't turn out too bad!

I found out it's difficult to get a good picture of etched glass in a kitchen with terrible lighting.

I'll pair them with a 6-pack of her favourite beers, and I think it'll be a nice little gift from me to her.

These are awesome.
I can't help but be happy that they dumped this terrible logo though, hate that drat Buffaslug.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

dur posted:

I haven't been happy with any media center/tv stand things that I've been able to find, so I decided to make my own... out of an old mid-century console stereo. I found a decent looking Motorola one for $25 (!), with a sort of working radio and broken phonograph. It's not exactly what I wanted (because exactly what I wanted would cost way more and I probably wouldn't feel good tearing it apart), but it'll work well enough. I didn't take any pictures of it before or during disassembly, but here's its current state:

My plan is to put front and center channel speakers inside the cabinet, along with my HTPC and receiver. I'm still trying to work out how to make it all fit and work, though. Like, should I have a panel in the front that tips open to access the receiver and dvd drive, or just a small opening for the dvd drive only? And if I do go with a tip-open panel, how would it work?

It'll be super cool when it is done!
I've made progress!

The middle panel folds open so I can get at the receiver or the keyboard for the HTPC if I have to. Otherwise, it stays shut and everything will be all hidden away.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
So I'm building a house, a tiny house (120 sq ft)

Rough sketch

Making progress on foudation

More details at the project blog http://tinybackyardhouse.blogspot.com/

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

dwoloz posted:

Rough sketch

In support of this project so hard

Are you able to do this without permits where you live?

If I was single I'd be doing this exact same thing.

EDIT: I just read your blog. I recommend taking it down now. You will get totally hosed on this if you document it on the internet.

Just make it look like a shed from outside and by all means do everything you can to hide the power and water lines that lead to the building.

You will probably still get caught.

Did you even look into how much this would cost to get properly permitted? Does this fall under any sort of "granny flat" ordinances the city may have?

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jan 9, 2011

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

dwoloz posted:

Rough sketch

If you're not going to take down your blog, at least edit out the parts about you not getting a permit. In fact, don't mention permits at all.

But yeah, cool idea.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Dwoloz, soooo cool. Please keep us updated, a friend's art collective aimed to do the same but make it on a towable base, whole thing fell through and sucked. Love seeing small home construction at this scale.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Rotten Cookies posted:

If you're not going to take down your blog, at least edit out the parts about you not getting a permit. In fact, don't mention permits at all.

Agreed. You can typically avoid permits on structures <100sf, but it's still a good idea to stay mum if you're avoiding one.

Just from a functional perspective, do you really want a *composting toilet* inside of your living space, not to mention right next to the kitchen? It's going to stink - I know they aren't supposed to, but they always do. You won't like it.

What about a shower head on a hose with a drainable floor rather than a shower stall? This would expand your living space during non-showering times... see here

Since it's not on the drawings: you're going to need (want) a beam to carry that upper loft into one of the exterior walls. Most people would stick in a post, but that would compromise your open plan... hopefully you already know this :)

If you're interested in some more techniques, you might want to contact sustain design studio . I used to work with the guy who started it and he's wild about this stuff - he can probably advise on good appliances to source, better techniques for well-insulated exterior walls (I think you would be better to put 2" of rigid outside if you want to avoid thermal bridging), and stuff like that.

Looking forward to more updates!

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

As a note we have a composting toilet at a camp out in the woods and it really doesn't smell at all. It's completely indoors in a relatively warm building and if it smells like anything it's musty wood chips.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I would just get the permit and be done with it. Depending on local laws you could still get hosed years down the road if/when the house is ever sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barn Owl
Oct 29, 2005
"text"

dwoloz posted:

This Tiny House.

You have no idea how late in a relationship I'd be to dump in the livingroom while my girlfriend's watching TV.

hint: The exact end.