Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

A good boy posted:

I bought the nightmare pack last night on live, but im unable to play it. When I choose it via the main menu, I just get a list with outlaws to the end and that other dlc. And Im not able to do anything. Anyone experienced this?

Are you going into the Downloadable Content menu? You need to hit the single player button instead, and it will give you a choice between Red Dead Redemption and Undead Nightmare before it launches the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Behonkiss posted:

Is that the Land Run feature? I tried doing it and got a message saying I need Undead Nightmare, which I don't have, so I need to think of something else.
No, I meant I just clear out those gang hideouts over and over again to farm xp. Sorry that I was unclear. :)

You can EASILY do Tumbleweed and Twin Rocks by yourself, and quickly. I usually just do Tumbleweed.

Pike's Basin is bigger, and it's better to have a posse with you for that one.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

betterinsodapop posted:

No, I meant I just clear out those gang hideouts over and over again to farm xp. Sorry that I was unclear. :)

You can EASILY do Tumbleweed and Twin Rocks by yourself, and quickly. I usually just do Tumbleweed.

You can do Solomon's Folly WAY faster by yourself.

A good boy
Apr 9, 2010

by Ozma

ixnay posted:

Are you going into the Downloadable Content menu? You need to hit the single player button instead, and it will give you a choice between Red Dead Redemption and Undead Nightmare before it launches the game.

Yeah. When I do that I just get a list over dlc.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I feel confident in saying that UN is the single greatest expansion pack I have ever gotten as a DLC.

Absolutely.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

betterinsodapop posted:

Pike's Basin is stupidly easy. I'm better at that one than I am Twin Rocks. Hell, it gives you the Evans Repeater right off the bat.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

A good boy posted:

Yeah, and what he's saying is that's not what you're supposed to do. Don't go to downloadable content, start a single-player game, and the game will ask if you want vanilla RDR or UN.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

A good boy posted:

The DLC tab just shows you a list of what DLC you currently have installed and can also connect you to the marketplace to buy more. To actually play the DLC, you just select single player.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

RDR = Game of the Year :dance:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Skeezy posted:

Did it win? It really, really should. I just can't bring myself to watch that poo poo.

\/ I never care about things like this but good to see it's getting the recognition it deserves. :dance:

fennesz fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 12, 2010

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

fennesz posted:

Did it win? It really, really should. I just can't bring myself to watch that poo poo.

It sure did.

IXCE
Nov 27, 2007

It's time to take naps and eat yum yum...and I'm all outta yum.

fennesz posted:

I didn't even know the VGAs existed past the first year they had it. My roommate told me about it and we sat down to watch it. Its still bad as I remembered it but there was a sweet performance of "Far Away" from RDR.

Off topic: Guillermo Del Toro is a pretty funny dude.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Skeezy posted:

oh man the Halo fanboys are gonna be pissed now

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Crossposting this from the PYF cosplay thread because holy poo poo it looks amazingly done.

Forti posted:

Direct link to the post - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=385580904

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
THE BANDOLIER IS BACKWARDS!

:arghfist::goonsay:

(Pretty damned awesome)

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Sir Spaniard posted:

Crossposting this from the PYF cosplay thread because holy poo poo it looks amazingly done.

Direct link to the post - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=385580904

goddamn. That's way better than I could ever do. The only thing missing from those pictures is a cougar waiting to tear his face off.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Morter posted:

THE BANDOLIER IS BACKWARDS!

:arghfist::goonsay:

(Pretty damned awesome)

And it's linked machine gun ammo :arghfist::goonsay:

Still is awesome though.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Never liked his torn-off-sleeves denim jacket. I prefer the well-tailored suits. Hell, cowboys wore bowler hats more than stetsons.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Dr.Smasher posted:

goddamn. That's way better than I could ever do. The only thing missing from those pictures is a sasquatch waiting to tear his face off.

Dude's name is Ben Van Dyken

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=453360842074&set=a.451602202074.247949.593412074#!/album.php?aid=247949&id=593412074

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
hahaha what the gently caress! hilarious!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Dr.Smasher posted:

goddamn. That's way better than I could ever do. The only thing missing from those pictures is a cougar waiting to tear his face off.

:colbert:

His beard is a little too full and he's also missing the feather in the hat, but who cares, that's a loving awesome costume.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Can you do the hunting/gathering challenges while replaying a mission? I just can't stand playing as Jack for some reason.

EDIT: Aw, that's too bad.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 13, 2010

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Renoistic posted:

Can you do the hunting/gathering challenges while replaying a mission? I just can't stand playing as Jack for some reason.

Nah, replaying missions don't have anything carry over at all. Once it ends, you go back to free roam.

buffalotrot
Apr 7, 2009

Aren't you a little tall for a Stormtrooper?
So I popped this back in after a few months off, and I hop into multiplayer, and there is literally NO ONE playing. Ive been in almost every lobby, and there is NO one. Did I miss the boat or something?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

buffalotrot posted:

So I popped this back in after a few months off, and I hop into multiplayer, and there is literally NO ONE playing. Ive been in almost every lobby, and there is NO one. Did I miss the boat or something?

There's a few factors here:

1) The game is pretty much played out. Undead Nightmare may be the final DLC for it.

2) Holidays mean that students are busy with finals, meaning less time to play.

3) Xbox Gold jacked up their price across the board by $10, meaning more people finding less reason to indulge.

The weekend might be better.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I got the game about a week ago from Amazon's Cyber Monday and I haven't even tried the online part yet. Which metatag seems to be the most active in terms of RDR? I only have less than a month of Gold left, so I'd like to try to get as much in as I can before it expires (unless I find another good deal on a subscription card and/or scour the internet for those two day passes).

buffalotrot
Apr 7, 2009

Aren't you a little tall for a Stormtrooper?

Obeast posted:

I got the game about a week ago from Amazon's Cyber Monday and I haven't even tried the online part yet. Which metatag seems to be the most active in terms of RDR? I only have less than a month of Gold left, so I'd like to try to get as much in as I can before it expires (unless I find another good deal on a subscription card and/or scour the internet for those two day passes).

I totally lucked out nabbing a MW2 card that was a 12+1 month $49.99 (two weeks ago). I was having debit card issues at the time, so my account went into suspension, and the guy I called to get it fixed was like 'you realize that we upped our prices, I was unaware these cards were still out there." I then contemplated going back to the store I bought it from and buy them out.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

buffalotrot posted:

Fine for me on PS3.

Are you sure you're in Public mode, and not Private? I made that mistake yesterday when me and a couple friends kept trying to find games (forgot I went private for advanced co-op).

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
I'm playing on 360 multiplayer pretty often, and there is no shortage of players. Sometimes the Friendly Free Roam is emptpy-ish, but the Normal Free Roam is usually jammed.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

betterinsodapop posted:

I'm playing on 360 multiplayer pretty often, and there is no shortage of players. Sometimes the Friendly Free Roam is emptpy-ish, but the Normal Free Roam is usually jammed.

In my limited experience (free weekends), it seems like Normal Free Roam is the only thing anybody plays much in RDR multiplayer. I tried out Expert Free Roam (since it took me too long to realize every fucker had "casual aiming" on), and nobody was playing it. Which tells me a lot about RDR's online player base.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I dont know, my usual crew and I never really have trouble finding matches. Although sometimes there are only 4 guys in hardcore free roam, just gotat have patience in mp matches, theyll fill up within a round or two. Hardcore only btw!

XBAAAAHCKS gt= pbucch

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Tewratomeh posted:

In my limited experience (free weekends), it seems like Normal Free Roam is the only thing anybody plays much in RDR multiplayer. I tried out Expert Free Roam (since it took me too long to realize every fucker had "casual aiming" on), and nobody was playing it. Which tells me a lot about RDR's online player base.

Yeah even early after the release of RDR Expert modes were pretty empty most of the time. Even then you'd see the same few people over and over which was actually pretty cool because they made for some good competition. I still find it a little bizarre that the "norm" for online game modes in RDR is essentially equipped with an aimbot.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
I know I'm months and months late on this, but holy gently caress, I just had to say...The ending. Wow. No one else I know played this, and I need to talk about it to someone...Jesus.

That deep breath he takes just before he opens the door...So cinematic, such loving fantastic, subtle acting in this game. Rockstar is goddamn amazing. The twist at the end, playing as Jack...I don't like him as much as John (who is one of the best characters of all time in my opinion) but I love the way they set it up, and how he reluctantly takes up his father's life.

Just such a brilliant punch in the gut. My wife and I just sat there kind of numb for a few minutes after it ended.

I never loved the GTA games as much as some people, but holy living gently caress did I love this game. One of my favorites of all time.

Multi is a blast, too. ;)

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Finally starting to play through Undead Nightmare. Just outside of the MacFarlane's place, there it was, a nightmare come to life.

Zombie cougar.

Actually it was surprisingly not-dangerous, and I guess cougars already have a terrible thirst for blood, but still - a little chilling.

DoorMatt
Dec 14, 2007
Watch The Nose
So I finished the Las Hermanas part of undead nightmare and was told to go to escalera. After clearing it out there's nothing there. I've checked the map and the only mission on it is the movie one in plainview. Do I need to do that one to progress?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

A Nice Boy posted:

That deep breath he takes just before he opens the door...So cinematic, such loving fantastic, subtle acting in this game. Rockstar is goddamn amazing. The twist at the end, playing as Jack...I don't like him as much as John (who is one of the best characters of all time in my opinion) but I love the way they set it up, and how he reluctantly takes up his father's life.

Keep playing as him. I really hated him at first too but a lot of his skinning/harvesting lines are pretty humorous and he really comes into his own if you follow up his stranger quests. Jack + Reyes Rebels feels pretty right too.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

My coworker just explained to me that his biggest gripe about RDR was all of the time spent riding to destinations.

:v: "Yeah roaming around looked awesome, but gently caress it took forever."

:confused: "What do you mean? In missions it provided a great time for exposition between characters, and outside missions there was usually fun stuff to come across. Also, didn't you ever fast-travel?"

:downs: "Wait...you can fast travel?"

:doh: "Didn't you ever try the campsite?"

:saddowns: "N-no."

I don't remember the game ever explaining it that well, but drat I can't imagine how long it took him to finish the game.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 17, 2010

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

The game explains the campfire system in one of the early Armadillo missions, and even before then is like "HEY LOOK A CARRIAGE I BET YOU CAN RIDE THAT TO GET PLACES".

I will never, however, underestimate the ability of video game players to completely ignore presented information, no matter how critical.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Crappy Jack posted:

even before then is like "HEY LOOK A CARRIAGE I BET YOU CAN RIDE THAT TO GET PLACES".
Sorry I didn't give him enough credit in my reenactment. He knew that you could fast travel from town to town. However he had no idea that you could use your campsite to any custom waypoint that you want from just about anywhere in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

fennesz posted:

Keep playing as him. I really hated him at first too but a lot of his skinning/harvesting lines are pretty humorous and he really comes into his own if you follow up his stranger quests. Jack + Reyes Rebels feels pretty right too.

Oh yeah, I don't mind him at all...But he's no John. :smith:

• Locked thread