Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

setafd posted:

I think All Day is loving rad. "Let It Out" is damned amazing.

Disregarding the album as "rote and uninspired" just looks pretentious when it sounds so great, and is unintentionally hilarious.

Heh yeah take that, people who disagree with me, I think you're pretentious and I'm not even gonna back up my statements or make any attempt at honest discussion, feh :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Sidestepping some of the people talking about groundbreaking music, pop art, etc

Me and a few of my friends from work, school, etc all love Girl Talks previous stuff (like all of it), e603, Super Mash bros. and a smattering of mashup artists in between

all of the aforementioned friends have disliked All Day at best.

It's just boring. opinions are opinions and I don't want to be that guy or try and be above it but I just wanted a dumb fun album to blast in my car or put on while I'm on my PC cruising forums like a boss and this isn't it. I honestly don't understand the people praising it while also claiming they love his other stuff.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.
One problem that I found with Feed The Animals and especially now with All Day is that it takes Greg so long to put out stuff that there's already someone online whose taken a specific beat or acapella and mixed it better than him already.

With Night Ripper, I found myself hearing the real songs later and expecting the Girl Talk version. Now I hear Girl Talk's stuff and all I can think about is a better Hood Internet or Easter Egg or Ludachrist version.

People were praising the U2/Twista mash up, but after hearing Flosstradamus do Twista/Sigur Ros, I just wasn't that excited. Also, Girl Talk uses the vocals from NERD's "Everybody Nose", where Easter Egg used the music behind it, and I thought Easter Egg's version was much more successful.

The Polish Pirate fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 6, 2010

funkyzeit
Apr 13, 2008
All Day was OK, Night Ripper was really raw sounding and he even threw in some of his own productions on there and that really added to the rawness of the mix where as All Day kind of just seemed like catchy acapella's thrown over predictably catchy beats.

EDIT: I was just reading an earlier post where someone said he balanced the good songs with the bad, that's a perfect description of my point. He used such obscure samples the first time that half the fun was NOT being able to recognize them.

Although the last track, One Day mixed over imagine was fantastic and ended things off perfectly.

Not sure if anyones posted this yet but I am really liking The Death Set mixtape that's been doing it's rounds.

Very thrown together mixes and mashups, samples, raw and real.

http://palmsout.net/2010/the-deathset-artificially-sweetened-mixtape/

1. Mario Shows Pee Wee Some New Items in the Magic Shop vs MFDS – Pee Wee Herman vs The Death Set
2. Brooklyn to Baltimore – Scottie B vs Notorious B.I.G.
3. I Want You Back – Jackson 5 and a sprinkle of S & P
4. 52 Girls vs Shimmy Shimmy Ya – B52′s vs O.D.B.
5. Born Free – Ninjasonik vs M.I.A. vs Suicide
6. Aussie Bogan Chick on Train – Some Dumb Skank
7. Deformative vs Circumstances – Black Eyes vs Buju Banton
8. I-10 vs Terrorist – Japanther vs DJ Vadim
9. Ballzy Anthem Summertime – Crystal Fighters & a Spinkle of Cerebral Ballzy
10. Chew it Like a Gun Gum (Mixtape Teaser Edit) vs 1800 Suicide – The Death Set vs Gravediggaz
11. Perversion for Profit – George Putnam
12. My Shadow vs Pass the Mic – Jay Reatard vs The Beastie Boys
13. Hybrid Moments – The Misfits
14. Suburban Home – The Descendants
15. The Choice is Yours – Black Sheep
16. Be Faithful – Crooklyn Clan
17. Diamond Sea vs Be Faithful vs Hunter S. Thompson Lecture on Herpes & Disco – Sonic Youth vs Crooklyn Clan vs Hunter S. Thompson
18. Pico Pico – Los Pico Pico
19. Baltimore Collage – Ponytail, Double Dagger, Ecstatic Sunshine, Dan Deacon, Video Hippos, Spankrock, MFDS
20. They Come to Get Us – The Death Set & XXXChange
21. Earth Fwend Fire vs O Lets Do It – Best Fwends vs Waka Flocka Flame
22. Mind Ya Buisiness – Rod Lee
23. Black Metal vs Lights Out – Ascii Disko vs Angry Samoans
24. Kittens Inspired By Canonball, Black Metal, Should I Stay Or Should I Go, Get to the Point - The Breeders vs Ascii Disko vs The Clash vs Sizzla
25. Shot a Fire – Shabba Ranks
26. Loving You Sometimes - The Outkasts
27. Time of the Season – The Zombies
28. Windowlicker – Aphex Twin
29. Mashed Potato Time vs He Hit Me vs In The Clear – Dee Dee King vs The Crystals vs Cap’n Jazz
30. Deep Cover – Hollywood Holt
31. Subliminal – Suicidal Tendencies
32. Public Witness – Fugazi
33. Hypnotize vs Brown Paper Bag vs Blitzkrieg Bop – Notorious B.I.G. vs Roni Size vs The Ramones
34. Grinding Halt – The Cure (The Death Set Cover)
35. Ya Fat Bugger! – Wigan Fatty gently caress
36. Chick Habit – April March vs ZAP! POW! DIE!
37. Fair Weathered Friends – Daedelus
38. Fair Weathered Friends – Daedelus (The Death Set Wonk Remix)
39. Hello Miss – Cee Lo (XXXChange Rmx)
40.At The Movies – Bad Brains
41. Zombie – The Death Set (Baby Giraffes Remix)
42. Michel Poiccard Prefers the Old – Breathless
43. Gut Feeling vs It’s Just a Ride – Devo vs Bill Hicks

funkyzeit fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 8, 2010

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

funkyzeit posted:

All Day was OK, Night Ripper was really raw sounding and he even threw in some of his own productions on there and that really added to the rawness of the mix where as All Day kind of just seemed like catchy acapella's thrown over predictably catchy beats.

EDIT: I was just reading an earlier post where someone said he balanced the good songs with the bad, that's a perfect description of my point. He used such obscure samples the first time that half the fun was NOT being able to recognize them.

Although the last track, One Day mixed over imagine was fantastic and ended things off perfectly.

Not sure if anyones posted this yet but I am really liking The Death Set mixtape that's been doing it's rounds.

Very thrown together mixes and mashups, samples, raw and real.

http://palmsout.net/2010/the-deathset-artificially-sweetened-mixtape/

1. Mario Shows Pee Wee Some New Items in the Magic Shop vs MFDS – Pee Wee Herman vs The Death Set
2. Brooklyn to Baltimore – Scottie B vs Notorious B.I.G.
3. I Want You Back – Jackson 5 and a sprinkle of S & P
4. 52 Girls vs Shimmy Shimmy Ya – B52′s vs O.D.B.
5. Born Free – Ninjasonik vs M.I.A. vs Suicide
6. Aussie Bogan Chick on Train – Some Dumb Skank
7. Deformative vs Circumstances – Black Eyes vs Buju Banton
8. I-10 vs Terrorist – Japanther vs DJ Vadim
9. Ballzy Anthem Summertime – Crystal Fighters & a Spinkle of Cerebral Ballzy
10. Chew it Like a Gun Gum (Mixtape Teaser Edit) vs 1800 Suicide – The Death Set vs Gravediggaz
11. Perversion for Profit – George Putnam
12. My Shadow vs Pass the Mic – Jay Reatard vs The Beastie Boys
13. Hybrid Moments – The Misfits
14. Suburban Home – The Descendants
15. The Choice is Yours – Black Sheep
16. Be Faithful – Crooklyn Clan
17. Diamond Sea vs Be Faithful vs Hunter S. Thompson Lecture on Herpes & Disco – Sonic Youth vs Crooklyn Clan vs Hunter S. Thompson
18. Pico Pico – Los Pico Pico
19. Baltimore Collage – Ponytail, Double Dagger, Ecstatic Sunshine, Dan Deacon, Video Hippos, Spankrock, MFDS
20. They Come to Get Us – The Death Set & XXXChange
21. Earth Fwend Fire vs O Lets Do It – Best Fwends vs Waka Flocka Flame
22. Mind Ya Buisiness – Rod Lee
23. Black Metal vs Lights Out – Ascii Disko vs Angry Samoans
24. Kittens Inspired By Canonball, Black Metal, Should I Stay Or Should I Go, Get to the Point - The Breeders vs Ascii Disko vs The Clash vs Sizzla
25. Shot a Fire – Shabba Ranks
26. Loving You Sometimes - The Outkasts
27. Time of the Season – The Zombies
28. Windowlicker – Aphex Twin
29. Mashed Potato Time vs He Hit Me vs In The Clear – Dee Dee King vs The Crystals vs Cap’n Jazz
30. Deep Cover – Hollywood Holt
31. Subliminal – Suicidal Tendencies
32. Public Witness – Fugazi
33. Hypnotize vs Brown Paper Bag vs Blitzkrieg Bop – Notorious B.I.G. vs Roni Size vs The Ramones
34. Grinding Halt – The Cure (The Death Set Cover)
35. Ya Fat Bugger! – Wigan Fatty gently caress
36. Chick Habit – April March vs ZAP! POW! DIE!
37. Fair Weathered Friends – Daedelus
38. Fair Weathered Friends – Daedelus (The Death Set Wonk Remix)
39. Hello Miss – Cee Lo (XXXChange Rmx)
40.At The Movies – Bad Brains
41. Zombie – The Death Set (Baby Giraffes Remix)
42. Michel Poiccard Prefers the Old – Breathless
43. Gut Feeling vs It’s Just a Ride – Devo vs Bill Hicks

The DeathSet are awesome, so this by proxy sounds /awesome/. Thankies.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Are Ludachrist's other albums non-stop or are they track-by-track mashups?

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

weekly font posted:

Are Ludachrist's other albums non-stop or are they track-by-track mashups?

Non stop.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

Γ°ΒŸΒ‘Β½
I know that it is nice and all to have a big epic ending, but what I would like to see one of these guys do is end the cd exactly how it starts. This way I can just loop it at parties and people will not know what the gently caress. I'd like to see how many rotations it could do.

Please.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Harminoff posted:

I know that it is nice and all to have a big epic ending, but what I would like to see one of these guys do is end the cd exactly how it starts. This way I can just loop it at parties and people will not know what the gently caress. I'd like to see how many rotations it could do.

Please.

Feed The Animals does pretty much exactly that.

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Just so you know, some retarded aspie wikipdian [see also: human being] decided it'd be a great idea to take down just about all the tracklists on wikipedia for all of Girl Talks albums because they're not actual research but others speculation. Way to go, wikipedia!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It was really only a matter of time - 'original research' is both the most stupid and the most basic type of information Wikipedia people like to remove from articles. It was incredibly lucky that it lasted that long.

I was considering starting up something like http://samplespotting.wikia.com to host collaborative IDing, but I haven't found the time yet to start it and move the stuff over.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

YET ANOTHER FAG posted:

Just so you know, some retarded aspie wikipdian [see also: human being] decided it'd be a great idea to take down just about all the tracklists on wikipedia for all of Girl Talks albums because they're not actual research but others speculation. Way to go, wikipedia!

Which is pretty much bullshit as even GT said that it's accurate (They've just not found all the samples he's used yet). He even linked to it via his Twitter.

Also, the FLAC version of the album is up now.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

YET ANOTHER FAG posted:

Was just looking for this today because I want to sample Face Down rear end Up in a mashup but wanted see if he did it first to avoid it sounding similar.

I kinda think he used it in Night Ripper but I don't remember and I'm stuck where I don't have access to it right now.

ps homies: https://www.mashupbreakdown.com

weekly font fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 9, 2010

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

weekly font posted:

Was just looking for this today because I want to sample Face Down rear end Up in a mashup but wanted see if he did it first to avoid it sounding similar.

I kinda think he used it in Night Ripper but I don't remember and I'm stuck where I don't have access to it right now.

ps homies: https://www.mashupbreakdown.com

He did.

e: SA's stripping the timestamp; it's at 1:50 in.

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 9, 2010

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

If people are still looking for the tracklists the last.fm pages for each song still have them up, although it's still a lot less convenient than the wiki page having them all on one page.

smakker
May 6, 2003

Dankbutts, better than Tinychat! :420:
This thread is really long so the gently caress if I'm reading through 17 pages to see, but I hope someone has already mentioned Super Mash Bros.? Definitely on par with Girl Talk, I discovered both of them around the same.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRKc-3nMI4U&feature=related Proof.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

17 pages is hardly long but yes we're all fans of Super Mash Bros and both of their albums kick arse.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

halcyon and on posted:

This thread is really long so the gently caress if I'm reading through 17 pages to see, but I hope someone has already mentioned Super Mash Bros.? Definitely on par with Girl Talk, I discovered both of them around the same.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRKc-3nMI4U&feature=related Proof.

Since you asked, they came in on page 2 and have been discussed several times since. You really should go through the thread, there's a lot of great material there that's worth your time. I mean I know some of these mashup artists seem to demand short attention spans, but 17 pages isn't that big a deal.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

Nam Taf posted:

17 pages is hardly long but yes we're all fans of Super Mash Bros and both of their albums kick arse.

Not "all". Definitely not "all".

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Gaspar Lewis posted:

Not "all". Definitely not "all".

yeah, i think SMB is below GT, Milkman or e-603. his cds just don't really have any flow to them

Fyadimir Noobokov
Mar 27, 2005

Oggumogoggum posted:

I was recently introduced to mashup artist Norwegian Recycling and man, am I ever impressed. He has 3 mashup albums available on his website and from beginning to end they're solid and consistently good.

This is probably my favourite track of his so far: http://norwegianrecycling.net/2010/09/be-like-a-dosed-black-eyed-gary/

I really like this guy--it's not the kind of ADD mashup I'm used to but Collage Dropout is really great.

TheLakers
Dec 1, 2007

Please ask me about my mutilated genitals, and belief in faith healing.
I'm really liking All Day, but "Talk Is Cheap" has some of the best poo poo I've heard in a while as far as mashups go. Not only is the overall pacing great, but even poo poo that isn't all that obscure like RATM/Busta sounds fresh.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I half wonder if any future mashup artists can be successful or if they'll just be dismissed as "that guy who wishes he was Girl Talk." I guess that's not a bad thing though, right? Don't most youngsters pick up an instrument because they have dreams of being [insert person here]?

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

weekly font posted:

I half wonder if any future mashup artists can be successful or if they'll just be dismissed as "that guy who wishes he was Girl Talk." I guess that's not a bad thing though, right? Don't most youngsters pick up an instrument because they have dreams of being [insert person here]?

it just sucks there such a limited number of samples out there to choose from. of course, you can always mash up stuff like video games and rap but they will never be as successful as GT.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Geno posted:

it just sucks there such a limited number of samples out there to choose from.
Correct me if I'm wrong but "the entire history of recorded sound" doesn't sound like a limited number at all.

The way that you can be a mashup artist and distinguish yourself from girl talk is by not sounding like girl talk, which is pretty simple to do since recordings made entirely from samples have been happening for years and years before Night Ripper.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

"Don't sound like Girl Talk," is fine advice for the aspiring mashup auteur, and I agree there are a million samples to use. The rise and popularity of Girl Talk just brings up so many questions for me who has been following music for years, and as someone who went to college to write about music. Is there a market for the genre of "mashup artist" in the [relative] mainstream or is there really only room for Girl Talk? Where does the aspiring mashup artist even go to get their music out? A "standard" DJ can get nights at bars and clubs, and a band can do showcases at any local venue, but where, besides college house parties did someone like Gillis get his live word of mouth going outside the internet?

I'm not necessarily looking for answers to these, but they're just questions that interest me. I guess the impact of the internet and technology as a whole on music moving further into the 2000s is interesting to a nerd like me.

Anywho, sorry for the rant. Legit question: do guys like Super Mash or Ludachrist do live shows?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Super Mash Bros do live shows all the time. They're amazing.

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

weekly font posted:

Legit question: do guys like Super Mash or Ludachrist do live shows?

Ludachrist has done a couple live shows, including a live version of Bangfest with people dressed as Spongebob & other cartoon characters on stage. Theres video from it somewhere on youtube. As far as touring goes it's pretty limited.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

You can really get creative with what you sample to. Pogo does movie clips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2yt1ooLQGo

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

weekly font posted:

Is there a market for the genre of "mashup artist" in the [relative] mainstream or is there really only room for Girl Talk?

Surely DJ Shadow would be more popular and mainstream than Girl Talk, even if is an entirely different style? (And indeed a fantastic example of how you can still do sample based music and not be a GT clone)

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

weekly font posted:

"Don't sound like Girl Talk," is fine advice for the aspiring mashup auteur, and I agree there are a million samples to use. The rise and popularity of Girl Talk just brings up so many questions for me who has been following music for years, and as someone who went to college to write about music. Is there a market for the genre of "mashup artist" in the [relative] mainstream or is there really only room for Girl Talk? Where does the aspiring mashup artist even go to get their music out? A "standard" DJ can get nights at bars and clubs, and a band can do showcases at any local venue, but where, besides college house parties did someone like Gillis get his live word of mouth going outside the internet?

I'm not necessarily looking for answers to these, but they're just questions that interest me. I guess the impact of the internet and technology as a whole on music moving further into the 2000s is interesting to a nerd like me.

Anywho, sorry for the rant. Legit question: do guys like Super Mash or Ludachrist do live shows?
What I'm saying is that people can do sample-based music that isn't "mashup" because mashups are pretty tired at this point, there isn't much space left to explore.

Rhgr posted:

Surely DJ Shadow would be more popular and mainstream than Girl Talk, even if is an entirely different style? (And indeed a fantastic example of how you can still do sample based music and not be a GT clone)
...and this is what I had in mind.

For example, Gillis sampled DJ Shadow and it's recognizable as a Shadow sample because he had made it his own, despite the fact that it was from other people's records.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

kingcobweb posted:

What I'm saying is that people can do sample-based music that isn't "mashup" because mashups are pretty tired at this point, there isn't much space left to explore.

I got what you were saying, and I hope there are musicians that do explore this. :) DJ Shadow is cool and all but I don't think he's someone I could listen to regularly. It's a shame that the mashups genre has been watered down by any rear end in a top hat on youtube slapping up an off-key, off-beat "remix" of whatever single is huge.

I'd love more quality ADD-party-mashup types like Girl Talk or Ludachrist to pop up because it would be intersesting to see what kinds of samples they pull and how they'd use those pop samples that scream "use me!" from the moment the song hits.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
It seems like we see a lot of the same samples pop up everywhere because they're popular songs that happen to have a section with vocals only or instruments only, or released karaoke versions, or have this separation in the stereo mixing: i.e. where these two things can easily be separated. For whatever reason the popular formula is pop/rock instrumentals and hip hop/rap vocals, but that could certainly be changed up. Still, as a result, we get a lot of the same samples.

I feel like we could really see something different if artists were to:
a) change the "rap vocals over rock background" formula
b) better explore vocal-reduction filtering technology to sample tracks without that separation inherently. Yes I know these filters suck in winamp or whatever but there's some good semi-automatic human-assisted stuff out there that could probably do it sufficiently (http://www.mtu.com/basics/vocal-eliminator.htm)

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Rap vocals work the best because you have very little worry in regards to key matching.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

weekly font posted:

Rap vocals work the best because you have very little worry in regards to key matching.

Unsurprisingly, this simplicity is what breeds a lot of lovely and/or "my first" mashups and mixes. They beatmatch and call it a day without any consideration of the cadence or mood of the acapella. The concept of the new whole being a new beast or in any way greater than the sum of its parts seems to be a dying art when the only sentiment people seem to expect from bastard pop is "WOOOOOOO PARTY". There's also the potential to go for an even cheaper shot than that and aim for "wacky juxtaposition" that falls flat almost every time since the shock of the new kind of petered out around the start of the last decade.

Like, say, "Got Your Money" played over "Creep"!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
This mashup is still the best in terms of matching the melody of the vocal with that of the backing track (also the only mashup to cross over to #1 on the pop charts)

So yeah if you can do mashups like that go for it, but this was done by an Actual Electronic Musician so be warned.

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

kingcobweb posted:

This mashup is still the best in terms of matching the melody of the vocal with that of the backing track (also the only mashup to cross over to #1 on the pop charts)

So yeah if you can do mashups like that go for it, but this was done by an Actual Electronic Musician so be warned.

Holy hell this owns beyond belief.

For content:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38SHb6hfOJg

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
So it looks as if I'm going to see Girl Talk live on Jan 27th. Anyone know what I should expect as far as fan behavior at his shows? I'm so excited but haven't really been to a show like this before. What should I expect?

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Thom and the Heads posted:

So it looks as if I'm going to see Girl Talk live on Jan 27th. Anyone know what I should expect as far as fan behavior at his shows? I'm so excited but haven't really been to a show like this before. What should I expect?

a bunch of rowdy frat-boy assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
Looks like the best of 2010 mashups are coming out, courtesy of DJ McFly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv&v=4uhs-Yd7VZk

I'll admit that I wasn't a big fan of that one. This is probably my favourite mash-up from his older channel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUnhoA-j4Xc