Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
Sweet, it looks like I'm going to be able to get the animal care lady at work to bunnysit for me!

That's a serious worry taken care of. She's going to keep it in the room with her birds, is that okay?

dopaMEAN fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

dopaMEAN posted:

Sweet, it looks like I'm going to be able to get the animal care lady at work to bunnysit for me!

That's a serious worry taken care of. She's going to keep it in the room with her birds, is that okay?

I've got a cockatiel and when I've put her and Fluffy together they've both been equally disinterested in each other. They're both gentle animals, they should be fine. Unless she's got hawks or something, anyway.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

blinkeve1826 posted:

I've got a cockatiel and when I've put her and Fluffy together they've both been equally disinterested in each other. They're both gentle animals, they should be fine. Unless she's got hawks or something, anyway.

She has conures. I'm thinking it'll be okay. She says she won't let her dog near the room, even though it's a cockapoo I told her I'd appreciate it. She's pretty awesome at work, so I can't imagine she'd have any trouble watching a troublemaking rabbit for a week.

Today Lola realized she could stick her butt out of her litterbox while peeing. I went to Big Lots and bought her a deep rubbermaid dishpan for a litterbox, I'm going to see if she'll use it without me cutting a door for her. I also picked her up a cotton woven matt and some velcro, this way I can put in a floor mat without having to worry about her eating the rubber backing. I know she's fine with the bare floor, but I figure that if she's getting less out of cage time I'd like her to be able to hop without slipping.

Now I just have to work on getting her to enter her cage. She doesn't like change. Not even for raisins.

Edit: She just jumped into the new litterpan, from the door, but will not venture out onto the mat. I think she has decided it's lava.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
In case anyone hasn't seen it: http://www.studiolapin.ca/

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

pseudonordic posted:

In case anyone hasn't seen it: http://www.studiolapin.ca/

Awesome. I have hundreds of photos of Debbie, and they all suffer from motion blur because she NEVER sits still. Sometimes one or two will look great after running it through some filters but dammit, why can't she just stop for a second!

Glasgow
Nov 7, 2009

Must you betray me with a kiss?

dopaMEAN posted:

Edit: She just jumped into the new litterpan, from the door, but will not venture out onto the mat. I think she has decided it's lava.

It took Alice several weeks to adjust to all the surfaces in our house, she got comfortable with each room one at a time, but for a long time would leap onto stacks of books and things to get to the couch, rather than walk on the hardwood. She's much better about it now.

I've never dealt with a non-neutered rabbit before. Two of my fosters aren't fixed yet, and they're recently digging out their litterboxes. Is this behavior I can expect to quit when they're not stupid hormonal teenagers, or do I need to get taller litterboxes?

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
Principal Onyx Blackbun and Chuck Nibblett are both speutered now and available on the Rabbit Advocates webpage! :neckbeard: I hope we find them an awesome home cause they are the loviest bunnies.

oribiasi
Dec 31, 2009

I'd like nothing more than for you to change your fortunes and never see another welfare check again.
I have had rabbits almost my entire life, from 10 or so until now (I am almost 30). My current rabbit, a Dutch, actually will sit on my lap and kiss me on the face.

Anyone else have this happen or know what it means? I thought at first she wanted salt but I got her a mineral lick and she still does it. Is it a sign of affection? I have had her since 2005 and she has done this for approximately four years.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

oribiasi posted:

I have had rabbits almost my entire life, from 10 or so until now (I am almost 30). My current rabbit, a Dutch, actually will sit on my lap and kiss me on the face.

Anyone else have this happen or know what it means? I thought at first she wanted salt but I got her a mineral lick and she still does it. Is it a sign of affection? I have had her since 2005 and she has done this for approximately four years.

Um, take away the salt lick. They're bad news - they lead to bladder and kidney problems.

She's basically just tasting your breath and grooming you.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

oribiasi posted:

My bun will lick my eyelids. I thought it was cute at first but I think she really just wants to eat my eyeballs. I don't let her near my face now until after shes eaten, just in case.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Windy posted:

My bun will lick my eyelids. I thought it was cute at first but I think she really just wants to eat my eyeballs. I don't let her near my face now until after shes eaten, just in case.

Bowser used to attack my face after I ate apples, hunting for where the smell of delicious fruit was coming from. One time, she figured it out and bit my lip, only to realize immediately that it was neither fruit nor tasty. I think she was way more horrified by it than I was. "EW, MEAT!"

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I once had some chocolate ice cream and afterwards started playing with a bunny. He perched on my lap and started licking my lips. My sister took a picture. :3:

Bunny kisses are the cutest thing ever until you remember that they eat their own droppings.

I mean, they may be classy about it and only eat the green half-digested ones, but it's still something that came out of a rabbit's butt.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

oribiasi posted:

They love feeling the warmth of your breath. They don't do this with just anybody. It's sweet. Mine tends to lie down on my chest with his face in my face.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

ShadowCatboy posted:

Bunny kisses are the cutest thing ever until you remember that they eat their own droppings.

I mean, they may be classy about it and only eat the green half-digested ones, but it's still something that came out of a rabbit's butt.

Yeah and my partner wonders why I refuse to kiss them on the nose when he holds them up for kisses. Not okay.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I may or may not have bought a pen for Cinnabun. I would have gotten the slightly bigger one, but this one had a door I could connect her cage to as well as a cover that would fit the bottom. This way the pen can just be for running around playing, and the cage can be her food/water/potty place.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Skizzles posted:

I may or may not have bought a pen for Cinnabun. I would have gotten the slightly bigger one, but this one had a door I could connect her cage to as well as a cover that would fit the bottom. This way the pen can just be for running around playing, and the cage can be her food/water/potty place.

Nice!
I did the same thing except out of the wire cube pieces and zipties.
works great since they still use their cage as a litterbox.

just need some tunnels or a cardboard box for hiding :ninja:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

SpaceMonkey posted:

just need some tunnels or a cardboard box for hiding :ninja:

It totally does. I came so close to buying this awesome tunnel I saw at Petsmart, but I kept thinking she'd be JUST as happy with a cardboard box with holes cut on each end and I'd just be throwing away money. :downs:

But maybe I'll go back and get it tomorrow. :3:

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

your reviews aren't that good

Skizzles posted:

I may or may not have bought a pen for Cinnabun.

Looks good! I would suggest putting down a scrap of carpet or something on the ramp/cage door to make sure her little toes don't get caught coming in and out of there :)

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Yeah I was worried about that and thought about weaving something through the bars or something. :( They have some kind of grass/hay/something mat at Petsmart I could cover it with, are those safe? If not where does one find carpet scraps (or something equally good)?

She has NO trouble whatsoever bounding in and out of the cage, but I still worry and would rather cover it or add a ramp.

Edit: the grass mat I'm talking about is kinda like this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4199427

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 12, 2010

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Skizzles posted:

Yeah I was worried about that and thought about weaving something through the bars or something. :( They have some kind of grass/hay/something mat at Petsmart I could cover it with, are those safe? If not where does one find carpet scraps (or something equally good)?

She has NO trouble whatsoever bounding in and out of the cage, but I still worry and would rather cover it or add a ramp.

Edit: the grass mat I'm talking about is kinda like this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4199427

My buns love those things; they're usually chewed down to dust in two days.

I've had luck going to carpet warehouses (places that will sell industrial carpet by the foot or meter for like, flooring finished basements or whatever) and asking if they have any end-of-roll scraps for my rabbits. Make sure to mention it's for a rabbit. I got like three meters of carpet for free that way the time I tried it (i don't have a car so it was a one-time thing).

Another thing you can do is remove the door from its hinge and then put it back on the cage so it hangs down when closed and opens up and out, so you can just prop it up out of the way. That way she won't have to walk on the door to get in and out, just hop over the edge of the cage.

oribiasi
Dec 31, 2009

I'd like nothing more than for you to change your fortunes and never see another welfare check again.

DS at Night posted:

They love feeling the warmth of your breath. They don't do this with just anybody. It's sweet. Mine tends to lie down on my chest with his face in my face.

Mine does the same; she will sit really close to my neck and cuddle and then prop herself up and lick my face, nose, etc. She will do it for a really long time, but I never thought that it was my breath she liked. She will sit there for hours if I let her, honestly. Does yours do the same?

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

oribiasi posted:

Mine does the same; she will sit really close to my neck and cuddle and then prop herself up and lick my face, nose, etc. She will do it for a really long time, but I never thought that it was my breath she liked. She will sit there for hours if I let her, honestly. Does yours do the same?

Oh yeah. It's fine if I get a flatmate to change the DVD occasionally. But he can do it all night.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Cilantro had a sneezing fit this morning when she somehow got a piece of hay stuck in her nose. I went over to see what the fuss was about but got there just in time to see her swat it loose with her paws.

Here's a post-fit grumpy loaf:

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper

pseudonordic posted:

Cilantro had a sneezing fit this morning when she somehow got a piece of hay stuck in her nose. I went over to see what the fuss was about but got there just in time to see her swat it loose with her paws.

Here's a post-fit grumpy loaf:

You could almost say she's a sour dough!

Hungry Joes Smile
Sep 5, 2007

what's going on? I'll cut you.
My little girls keep growing. They're pretty cute, if not daft: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgkUOevdKJY. Skip to 1:00-1:30 to see Audrey doing her bink.

edit: omigod Christmas Trees; how do you guys deal!?

Hungry Joes Smile fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 15, 2010

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

Hungry Joes Smile posted:

edit: omigod Christmas Trees; how do you guys deal!?

Well obviously they are delicious. Also there are willow ornaments. But seriously, I just buy untreated Christmas trees and don't hang anything down low that I don't want nibbled.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

Hi bunny folks,
I'm not a bunny owner, as the goddamned predators I live with would be dangerous to any bunny; but my brother-in-law and his family have two house bunnies they absolutely dote on, and I'd like to get a gift for their bunnies. Basically, the economy's been tough for them, and they don't really want Christmas gifts, because they can't reciprocate, but I think a moderate gift for the pets would be appreciated.

They have two bunnies, which are smallish (don't know the breed). Both are neutered/spayed, and they have a spacious cage, and often roam around the house. I was thinking about these, but I thought I'd check with you experienced bunny folks for your advice first. Do you think these are good bunny gifts?

http://www.amazon.com/Peters-Woven-Grass-Play-Ball/dp/B0009YJ3OG/
http://www.amazon.com/Peters-Nature-Haven-Folding-Grass/dp/B002J4UBEA/

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
Dropping Lola off with my friend in a couple of days. I feel so silly being worried... I know I can trust my friend, she's made a career out of taking care of animals, I'm just afraid Lola won't like us anymore.

Ever since Doc Faustus got a squirt bottle last week Lola has been becoming slightly more well behaved. She has decided that Doc Faustus is the boss bunny, much to my surprise. Last night she must have groomed his head for ~5 minutes! I only ever get like 30 seconds of head grooming, tops. I think if she keeps this up he'll start loving her as much as I do.

Also, she figured out how to get her raisin can open yesterday. I know I ended up letting her eat too many, but it was absolutely adorable. She picked it up by it's edge when the lid was off (she can't reach inside, it's too deep) and carried it off, eventually dropping it so raisins would spill out. I put the lid back on it, since I thought it was cute watching her play but I didn't want her eating too many. She knocked it over, flipped it a couple of times, and finally yanked the lid off. Prior to this all she'd ever do was stick her neck inside the can and wish she could grab raisins.

She's getting too smart!

Also, my velcro'd on cotton mat didn't last long. She yanked up all the corners and folded it up, so she could have her bare floor back. I finally pulled it out last night. That rabbit knows what she wants, and it isn't traction!

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

The house is very nice and the buns should love it. The ball may or may not get much action, several of my guys ignore theirs.

If you really want to spoil them, consider a gift of Kleenmama's Bluegrass. It's pure bunny crack.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

I've had toys that one rabbit hated and the other loved, so it's a tough call. Grass mats are always good though, and willow balls or rings. These items can be found easily at a lot of pet stores. I can't find these by me anymore, but Debbie used to go crazy for "birdie bagels". They're just pressed paper rings but she threw them all over the cage. Just make sure it's either too big or too small to get stuck around the rabbits head.

If you have a food dehydrator, making chips from apples, carrots or bananas are always a good bunny treat.

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

anachrodragon posted:

Do you think these are good bunny gifts?

Those are both excellent choices as bunny gifts. Another thing you can do is the Busy Bunny sells gift baskets filled with timothy hay, toys and treats: http://www.busybunny.org

This one is always a big hit: http://store.busybunny.com/Product28

candeh fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 16, 2010

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

dopaMEAN posted:

Lola and the raisins

May I humbly suggest http://store.busybunny.com/Product302? You can control the number of raisins she gets and my bun just loves this thing. It takes a while for the raisins to come out and he seems to love the noise it makes when he drops it.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

candeh posted:

May I humbly suggest http://store.busybunny.com/Product302? You can control the number of raisins she gets and my bun just loves this thing. It takes a while for the raisins to come out and he seems to love the noise it makes when he drops it.

This is awesome. I think I just found a Christmas present for Cosmo :unsmith:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Quick update on Cinnabun. Things are going well. She is a very demanding little bunny - every time someone walks into the room she stands up and wiggles about at the side of the pen as if to say, "OMG HI, come pick me up!" She also loves her ears being rubbed.

Her wound is healing VERY well, as you can see in the last two pictures. It's mostly covered by her fur, but even when I move the fur out of the way it's much smaller than what it was and is generally looking so much better. She has one more vet follow-up this Saturday where I will inquire about spaying and such.

Being a mischievous bunny trying to inspect my hood.

Yay, wound almost all healed!

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Skizzles posted:

I know most people dislike red-eyed whites (of all species), but I think this picture would change a lot of minds. :swoon: Such a cute bun!

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I don't know why anybody would dislike a rabbit like that. It's the monster from Monty Python and the Holy Grail!

On an unrelated note I'm taking Billy to the vet tomorrow as he is still not eating his cecals and is getting thinner. As far as I can tell there's nothing wrong with them and he's probably just an idiot but I should get him tested for parasites or something like that.

Not that I have any money to spend on this but those are the joys of owning a rabbit. :toot:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

DS at Night posted:

I don't know why anybody would dislike a rabbit like that. It's the monster from Monty Python and the Holy Grail!

It's funny 'cause I have a plushie of the Monty Python rabbit monster which is about as big as her. :3:

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Skizzles posted:

Wanna boop dat nose.

DS at Night posted:

As far as I can tell there's nothing wrong with them and he's probably just an idiot but I should get him tested for parasites or something like that.

"Teeth and bladders, that's what matters." (It's always molars or bladder stones/sludge - I'd be shocked if it was a parasite.)

Although recently I had a vet friend whose older rabbit progressively lost over 30% of his body weight, and his molars and bladder were fine. She did diagnostic after diagnostic, and ended up deciding that he just wasn't getting enough calories. He's the only rabbit I've ever known who *had* to be on unlimited pellets, and who has not gotten obese from it. She still thinks there's something underlying but gave up looking without further symptoms.

DS at Night posted:

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
So I got my rabbits new water bottles, because the old ones were leaking. Drs. Foster and Smith sent me pink and blue ones, how sweet.

For some reason, drinking out of the pink bottle is a highly coveted right in bundom. It empties much faster than the blue bottle, and these new ones don't leak.

I've noticed that if Pepper is drinking at the pink bottle, Camille will come up and nudge Pepper away so that SHE can drink from the pink bottle. So, Pepper has figured out that she can put her paws on Camille's head and push down to get her away so that Pepper can resume drinking. (Pepper always gives Camille ear kisses after this, don't know why.) They keep fussing and fighting until someone hops off.

They DO drink out of the blue bottle, so I'm sure it's not tainted or whatever, and we've tried switching the position of the bottles, but the pink one still remains the favorite. I'm thinking I might start putting out a water dish to encourage the losing bunny to drink from that, but I HATE water dishes. They get hay in it and hop in it and then hop on me and get me wet.

Also, I just priced it out, and the Kleemama hay is WAY cheaper than the Oxbow, seems like. Camille and Pepper act like Oxbow orchard grass is sweet sweet mana, I'm hoping they learn to like the bluegrass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
Welp, the bunny sitter dropped off the face of the earth. She hasn't answered her phone or gotten back to me, and I was going to drop Lola off 4 hours ago. We went by her house and she wasn't at home. So strange.

My friend that's watching my cats says she can watch the bunny too- she's going to check in every day now, instead of every other day. I hope Lola gets enough attention :( It really sucks, because I know the friend is out of town on Christmas day, and possibly Christmas eve. I really am not comfortable with Lola being stuck in her cage for a whole day or day and a half.

I'm telling her to let Lola out for at least an hour a day, and to clean the litter box every other day. This all sucks so much. The girl is drinking tonight, she was drunk when I called, so she can't even come over to get instructions before I leave.

I'm really worried about all of this :( I wish I could take my bunny on the plane!