Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

zmcnulty posted:

I'm curious about financing an MBA. My anti-debt mindset is telling me I should work until I can pay cash for a program (maybe 2 years left) then apply because, well, going into debt sucks if you can afford to pay cash. However, my swaps side is telling me if I can earn decent returns on what I have, it should negate the interest associated with the debt.

What kind of interest rates are common for student loans? I earned enough to pay my tuition (lowered thanks to scholarships) in undergrad so I never really had to deal with this kind of thing. I am assuming I won't qualify for any MBA scholarships at all since I'm a non-poor white male.

For those of you on loans, if you don't mind, can you share the details? What the rates are, schedules, etc.? Obviously some schools are more expensive than others, but I'm shooting for $120K before I take the plunge, is this a good target?

edit: and my employer won't pay for anything, we have a constant influx of MBA holders anyway

My debt will be more than that but I go to a pretty expensive school. :toot: But that's a drat good goal.

As far as federal loans, for a two year program you can borrow a total of $17,000 in subsidized Stafford loans at 4.5%, $24,000 of unsubsidized Stafford loans at 6.8%, and the remaining balance in GradPLUS loans at 7.9%.

Typical repayment schedule is 10 years but you can change that if you want.

http://www.finaid.org/ has some great info and repayment schedule calculators.

edit to add: of course those ar ethe current rates, they may change in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Tyro posted:

Final exam week is going swimmingly.

Why, why, why did I choose a school on a quarter system?

:shepicide:

Now that semester (#2) has ended, I want to celebrate by passing out on pre-ban Four Lokos. While I surprisingly enjoyed the course material, the time requirement and self-teaching demands of a fully-online program are brutal. 2 hours a night only after doing mandatory dad poo poo around the house, eating/preparing dinner and entertaining the kid until bedtime. And I've got another who will be born before I graduate. I ran a regression analysis on my time spent in the program and consumption of alcoholic beverages and expect to be a raging alcoholic by the 7th semester.

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002

Orgasmo posted:

Now that semester (#2) has ended, I want to celebrate by passing out on pre-ban Four Lokos. While I surprisingly enjoyed the course material, the time requirement and self-teaching demands of a fully-online program are brutal. 2 hours a night only after doing mandatory dad poo poo around the house, eating/preparing dinner and entertaining the kid until bedtime. And I've got another who will be born before I graduate. I ran a regression analysis on my time spent in the program and consumption of alcoholic beverages and expect to be a raging alcoholic by the 7th semester.

Please attach the sensitivity analysis report.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

LactoseO.D.'d posted:

Please attach the sensitivity analysis report.

We never got that far but I'm going to put my foot down before I analyze the analysis of the analysis. anal sis

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002

Orgasmo posted:

We never got that far but I'm going to put my foot down before I analyze the analysis of the analysis. anal sis

It's actually only appropriate if you are running an optimization. You should run one! You can minimize your sobriety and put in a constraint for the maximum hangover you are comfortable enduring.

Or you could just have a four loko bon voyage party. That's the boat I am in. Its a popular boat.

hurleytime
Aug 17, 2007

EmptyGenius posted:

If you're interested in staying in equity research, you should take a look at UT-Austin and UW-Madison (ASAP). Both of these schools are top ~30 programs with focused investment management programs. Both have student investment portfolios, and have pretty decent recruiting success with top New York firms. I'm a 2nd year student at UW-Madison, and I scored an internship with Credit Suisse this past summer. My buddy interned at UBS. I can give you some insights into these programs if you're interested in non-top 10 options.

My first choice in a few years is going to be UW Madison. Are there any prior enlisted military in the MBA program there?

I have been in 8 years at this point and am getting out in 2012, and want to start after the summer. A few questions for you. I haven't contacted admissions with this, but do you know how they view a degree earned online? I know it is a "total package" thing with people, but it would be nice to know what kind of chance I have getting into UW-Madison. I understand that UW-Madison only accepts 20% of applicants into the program. Is it really that competitive or are the majority of applicants really not qualified (no real experience, low GPA or test scores)?

hurleytime fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 24, 2010

Super Locrian
Jul 3, 2003
Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.
Well first year MBAs, it is officially crunch time. I'm absolutely drowning in work over here (in a good way, if that's possible). About two weeks to go until winter break. How is everyone holding up? When I close my eyes I see power point slides with stupid buzzwords.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Holding on here. Lots of work. No free time this week, really none for the next 3 weeks. I really miss working out regularly.

EmptyGenius
Jul 9, 2007

hurleytime posted:

My first choice in a few years is going to be UW Madison. Are there any prior enlisted military in the MBA program there?

I have been in 8 years at this point and am getting out in 2012, and want to start after the summer. A few questions for you. I haven't contacted admissions with this, but do you know how they view a degree earned online? I know it is a "total package" thing with people, but it would be nice to know what kind of chance I have getting into UW-Madison. I understand that UW-Madison only accepts 20% of applicants into the program. Is it really that competitive or are the majority of applicants really not qualified (no real experience, low GPA or test scores)?

One of the current first year students was in the army. Another was a pro football player. I honestly don't know what the applicant profile is, but I'll discuss what the class profile is. The profile for ASAP is higher in terms of GPA/GMAT than it is for the rest of the MBA program. If you're interested in talking about the program email me at emptygenius@gmail.com. I can probably give you a decent sense of what admissions is looking for and how you stack up.

Psylux
Jun 30, 2007

by Diapered Witch
Hey goons, thought I'd chime with my experiences now that I graduated from my MBA/MSc dual degree program. MIT Sloan was one of the degree awarding institutions so I know what it takes to get into, and make it at a top school. It is stupid the amount of respect you "earn" from having a degree from a top business school. By no means does graduating from a top school guarantee you a job upon graduation. I graduated in May and found a job at the start of November. If not for a crazy amount of networking, I would still not have a job. Even with great credentials, if you don’t secure a job during on-campus interviews you will be in rough shape.

Results:

After graduating, I'm paid a ton more (over $60k per year higher) than my last job but have taken on $90k of crippling debt. That negative amortization is scary when you are not earning enough money to pay back the interest.

The degree and more importantly the thesis allowed me to get into renewable energy finance. Oh yeah, #1 piece of unique advice that I have to offer: WRITE A THESIS! You will become an expert and it will differentiate you from the masses. I had the pleasure of working with a PhD Professor from the MIT Energy Initiative. I learned more about renewable energy from my thesis advisor than from years of job experience. Don’t waste your time with a thesis if you are looking to go into banking or one of the other mass hiring professions. A person wanting to go into I-Banking or consulting is far better served in an interview being able to explain the intricacies and relationships between a BS/IS/SCF or crack a case.

Thoughts:

I would suggest getting an MBA/Business masters from a top school if you want to switch careers or your company is paying for it. Yes, many of my classmates companies paid for them to get a degree and provided them with a salary simultaneously. And yes, they were drat important for their company to invest that much time and money into them.

If I liked my previous career enough, it would have been better for me to go part-time to the nearest decent program (UCI). I wouldn’t have that much debt and I’d have 2 years more of work experience. These are 2 years of your prime income earning ability and plenty of people would be better served not getting a MBA/Masters at a full time program. Do the financial analysis. You need some crazy payback to makeup for 2 years of zero income. However, my job blew and there was no way for me to move up without a higher degree so I consider my choice to be a positive one.

Psylux fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 5, 2010

BLACK AIDS ORGY
Dec 10, 2010
Hey guys, I just took my GMAT last week and am applying to business schools immediately so I can try and start by this fast-approaching Spring semester. I've encountered a problem with my resume though and need some advice.

I am looking to go to business school for brand management, but I left my advertising job of a little over a year a couple months ago on good terms after respectfully denying a shift in my position. I have been temporarily working at our family business, a small-medium sized supply chain/wholesale company. I help organize and update a messy pricing and inventory database, which is hard, complicated work but it has nothing to do with my career really. On top of this, my brother is my direct supervisor.

Should I include this on my resume? I'm afraid it will make me look like I am jumping job to job, or that I got laid off/fired. Isn't having family members on your resume as a professional reference, even if you work for them, pretty sketchy? I also feel that it makes me look like I really don't know what I want to do and have just fallen on hard times. I've already had a lot of issues with writing a personal statement, and I don't know how I would properly explain this.

Having my brother or another guy I work with give a reco for the job is just weird to me, and I have been considering just getting a reference from the lovely start-up I worked for for a while before my last job.

Furthermore, what did you guys write your personal statement about? Most schools I'm applying to don't give a topic except for one, which is "How is our school and our focus on an ethical approach to business the right fit for you?". Was it basically an autobiography, or was it business only? Did you focus on a theme such as a lesson you learned from adversity, accomplishment, etc?

BlessedBullet
Aug 18, 2007
How appropriate, you fight like a cow.
I wouldn't exclude it. If anything, I think it's a good thing to have on your resume - shows a good breadth of experience. I think the worst thing you can have is a blank spot in your resume.

For the program I'm in, they provided specific questions for us to answer. One of them was the generic "Why an MBA"? My high level outline looks like

+ First paragraph; my brief bio up to my current state
+ Second paragraph; what do I want to do
+ Most of the content; why I want an MBA, how it would build upon what I've done, and help me achieve what I want to do. I tried to connect my background with the strengths of the program (scope out the MBA brochures and see what the school focuses on)
+ Last paragraph; Sum up. I basically said "I'd be all right without an MBA, but with an MBA with XYZ University and all its specific advantages, I can be really awesome"

BLACK AIDS ORGY
Dec 10, 2010
Thanks, that definitely helps. I already started but I should definitely adjust to talk about the school's specific program.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
This may be a dumb question, but I'm thinking of getting an MBA now that I've finished my JD and don't really like law. However, name of school is very important to me (more so than what job I end up in). Between Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth and Georgetown, what kind of scores am I going to be needing?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

SWATJester posted:

This may be a dumb question, but I'm thinking of getting an MBA now that I've finished my JD and don't really like law. However, name of school is very important to me (more so than what job I end up in). Between Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth and Georgetown, what kind of scores am I going to be needing?

Work experience.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Despite coveting it since early 2009, I'm putting off my pursuit of an MBA until I dig myself out of debt, get some more experience (it's been mostly office-temp stuff since graduation in 2006, with a 6-month fulltime retail stint in there), and most importantly, until the economic conditions improve in North America.

(Psylux's testimony only reinforced all that; I imagine the timing led to the situations described.)

BUT...for those currently enrolled in a program, how are things looking for your between-term internships or post-grad opportunities?

BlessedBullet
Aug 18, 2007
How appropriate, you fight like a cow.
Pretty bad. Even through networking with other students - there just aren't any job openings.

The job market looks especially bleak being in a part time program. The school is focusing career opportunities for their full time MBA's to boost their "Students With a Job After 6 months" numbers - part time MBA students typically already have jobs. As a result, a lot of the on campus opportunities are 'Full time MBA" only. I assume other programs would be doing the same.

Hired_Sellout
Aug 16, 2010

SWATJester posted:

I'm assuming you mean GMAT scores. For top tier schools, the general rule is 80-80. You should try to be in the top twenty percent in both verbal and math to be considered for admission.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Agent Escalus posted:

BUT...for those currently enrolled in a program, how are things looking for your between-term internships or post-grad opportunities?

Between the graduates from my program and army buddies of mine who went through other programs, my perception is that the job market right now, even for good, experienced MBAs, is pretty bad. The handful of supergenius hardworking straight-through-undergrad-to-MBA folks from my program (eg, 800 GMAT, 4.0 GPA, perfect undergraduate resume, etc) all got straight up "entry level" jobs, students with good work experience and solid academics (like me, 750 GMAT, 3.5 GPA, former military officer, etc) struggled to find even mediocre slightly-better-than-entry-level jobs. Friends who went to Harvard and Dartmouth respectively landed low level developmental management jobs with mediocre salaries and brutal work hours.

I personally got very lucky through some old military contacts and took a well paying and pleasant job as a defense contractor, but this position has little to do with my MBA and I could have gotten the job without the degree.

Anyway, I wouldn't start an MBA program right now, especially if you have anything approaching a decent job.

Homebrewism
Jun 21, 2010
I was searching through this thread for comments on a DBA or a PhD in Business, but did not find any. I already have a master's in computer science, and interested in a business degree. Would a DBA be significantly more beneficial to me than an MBA? Internet research tells me that a Business PhD would imply staying in academics, and I am pretty sure I would rather move on to "the real world" working on projects with teams. Any comments on MBA vs. DBA, especially when you already have a master's degree?

Homebrewism fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 13, 2010

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Homebrewism posted:

Would a DBA be significantly more beneficial to me than an MBA?

What do you want to do after?

Psylux
Jun 30, 2007

by Diapered Witch

Homebrewism posted:

I was searching through this thread for comments on a DBA or a PhD in Business, but did not find any. I already have a master's in computer science, and interested in a business degree. Would a DBA be significantly more beneficial to me than an MBA? Internet research tells me that a Business PhD would imply staying in academics, and I am pretty sure I would rather move on to "the real world" working on projects with teams. Any comments on MBA vs. DBA, especially when you already have a master's degree?

During my time at Sloan, my roommate was getting his PhD in financial economics. This gave him an unique computational/financial skill set (you don't learn this from a MBA program) and hedge funds were beating down the door to get to this guy. I have not heard the same advantages about getting a DBA. From my understanding, a DBA will not give you many additional skills compared to a MBA. It will be useful if you want to go into academia or consulting but not very helpful in the real world. The only positive aspect is that you won't have to pay for it. After accounting for the poor pay (20-30k) plus the additional 2 to 3 years and the dissertation, I'd highly advise you against getting a DBA. Go for the MBA or PhD. If you get into a PhD program focus on high frequency trading as you already have the necessary programming background and it's a HOT job market.

Homebrewism
Jun 21, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

What do you want to do after?
Ideally, lead projects which require computer assisted analysis. Thank you, Psylux, for your comments. I'll look into PhDs in economics to see if it matches my interests. I'll have to raise my GRE score to get in, I'm sure. I'll look around at MBA programs some more as well.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Homebrewism posted:

Business PhDs are probably most valuable to people with some solid real world experience in business, this puts them in a position either in academia or (more lucratively) in think-tanks or in consulting. If you don't have a business background, even if you were accepted to a program, you'd not see much (if any?) return on a PhD (read: community college professor).

If you're wanting to move into the business world through academics without any meaningful experience, I'd recommend looking at economics (as already mentioned) or statistics, or if you're really hardcore, finance with a CFA.

Psylux
Jun 30, 2007

by Diapered Witch

Homebrewism posted:

Ideally, lead projects which require computer assisted analysis. Thank you, Psylux, for your comments. I'll look into PhDs in economics to see if it matches my interests. I'll have to raise my GRE score to get in, I'm sure. I'll look around at MBA programs some more as well.

FYI - Big difference between a PhD in financial economics and economics. Look into both and see if either of them are appealing. Most decisions made by banks, hedge funds, or insurance companies are backed by computer assisted financial analysis. It may be helpful to narrow your interests. Also look into Master of Finance (M Fin) programs. It may be a better fit for you than either a PhD or MBA. MFin does not require any business background and will teach you as much if not more than a MBA program will about finance.

Psylux fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 13, 2010

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

bewbies posted:

Business PhDs are probably most valuable to people with some solid real world experience in business, this puts them in a position either in academia or (more lucratively) in think-tanks or in consulting. If you don't have a business background, even if you were accepted to a program, you'd not see much (if any?) return on a PhD (read: community college professor).

If you're wanting to move into the business world through academics without any meaningful experience, I'd recommend looking at economics (as already mentioned) or statistics, or if you're really hardcore, finance with a CFA.

This is pretty badly inaccurate. There are two different kinds of business doctorates out there, and they can't generally be distinguished by whether they're called DBA or PhD.

The first is a practitioner's degree, which is designed to take somebody who already has some work experience and give them some degree of advanced training. There is a thesis attached, but it's more along the lines of a large project in a more traditional degree program. People with these degrees can be hired to teach at business schools, but not to do research.

The second is a research degree that's designed to train future professors. This is much more like what people think of when they hear PhD, and no industry experience is required for these programs (although it certainly doesn't hurt). People who go through this degree will publish one or several papers in academic journals and complete a dissertation that's comparable to the norm in non-business fields. The specializations here are the traditional business fields--accounting, marketing, operations, finance, etc.--and it can be pretty hard to get a job in any of those fields if you're coming from a non-business background.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Whats the best gmat prep book? Seems like princeton review and kaplan are the same exact loving thing. Get the cheaper one? What about this one? http://www.amazon.com/Official-Guide-GMAT-Review-12th/dp/0470449748/ref=pd_ts_b_1?ie=UTF8&s=books

Psylux
Jun 30, 2007

by Diapered Witch

madkapitolist posted:

Whats the best gmat prep book? Seems like princeton review and kaplan are the same exact loving thing. Get the cheaper one? What about this one? http://www.amazon.com/Official-Guide-GMAT-Review-12th/dp/0470449748/ref=pd_ts_b_1?ie=UTF8&s=books

I used a few different references. Princeton Review and Kaplan were poor prep books when I took the test (over 2 years ago). The official gmat review guide is really helpful for test questions and an absolute buy. For any problem section buy the corresponding Manhattan GMAT Prep book. Manhattan provides the best strategies and great online practice tests. The only more accurate online practice test is the official online one.

FYI you should be able to download a version of the offical gmat review guide and paper practice tests on the internet. Look around.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Psylux posted:

I used a few different references. Princeton Review and Kaplan were poor prep books when I took the test (over 2 years ago). The official gmat review guide is really helpful for test questions and an absolute buy. For any problem section buy the corresponding Manhattan GMAT Prep book. Manhattan provides the best strategies and great online practice tests. The only more accurate online practice test is the official online one.

FYI you should be able to download a version of the offical gmat review guide and paper practice tests on the internet. Look around.

http://www.khanacademy.org/gmat - this goes along with the official math guide (I'm not sure if he uses the current edition though).

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy
Just paid the tuition for my last semester for my part-time MBA at a state school. I'll be declaring for graduation in a few weeks too. It feels great.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Modern Life Is War posted:

Just paid the tuition for my last semester for my part-time MBA at a state school. I'll be declaring for graduation in a few weeks too. It feels great.

Congratulations. What are your final courses and what was your opinion over the curriculum in general? Favorites? Got a job lined up?

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Modern Life Is War posted:

Major congrats, please do keep us posted on what happens to you next!

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy
Thanks guys. This thread and my MBA both started at the same time (I'm on page one), but talk seems to have focused on the top 20 schools and their full time programs for the past two and half years so I've been unable to really contribute much. My school is in the mid-50s.

My last two courses are electives to gain concentrations in Finance and Management. The curriculum changed the semester after I entered and I had the choice to pick one or the other. The program is 60 credits and I took 8 classes this year (6pm - 9pm weeknights, no online courses at all) on top of my Analyst gig, trying to finish early. I got advanced standing because my undergrad and business school were both AACSB accredited. I worked through the whole thing and my company paid for most of it.

Liked: All of the finance courses.
Disliked: 1) Most group work. So you trade barrels of oil on NYMEX or help run an IT department at Goldman and can't produce your part of the report on time, eh?? 2) Courses that mention Michael Porter incessantly or cover the same stuff about innovation and strategic transformation over and over again.

Carbon Dog
Aug 28, 2004

AH CHRISTCAKES! IT BURNS!
My girlfriend is seriously considering an MBA. She joined the military right after high school, and tested well enough to be placed into intelligence work -- not into a leadership position, but she had a top secret clearance. She worked on her degree online while she was in, so while her 4 year enlistment ended last year, she will be graduating her international relations degree in a few months. It's a little-known online school, but fully accredited. She says her GPA is probably going to stay around 3.5, and she's pretty smart and tests well, so assumes her GMAT scores would be good if she studied and took the test. Good references from her unit and the officers in it wouldn't be too hard to get.

However, schools specify the required work experience as post-undergrad. The fact that her work experience coincides with her degree might be an obstacle, and military experience might not even count; she was enlisted, not officer, and this is why I mentioned she was in intelligence, since it's very different from grunt work. She plans on teaching abroad to improve her Arabic fluency. From what I've read, waiting those two years may improve her chances considering the competitive nature of things, but it's not exactly a prestigious job. TBH, I'm not too keen on her going somewhere in the region she could make look good on her application, either, like Saudi or the West Bank.

With all of this, she can definitely make herself look interesting, she'll have recommendations, a good GPA, and she's confident in her GMAT abilities although she's not taken the test yet. Without practical business experience though, will she be able to make it past admissions in the top ten?

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
I wouldn't be concerned at all. Military experience definitely does count, and I'd be very surprised if a school held it against her that she completed undergrad at the same time (this could even be a "plus" since it shows the ability to balance priorities). For the application and recommendations, I would make sure to highlight how she contributed to important military decisions and any leadership experience (even if it's just of a small group).

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Who benefits most from a Verizon iPhone, Apple or Verizon?

Earlier in the game, Apple and Verizon left the bargaining table after concessions could not be reached on distribution channels (Apple wanted to have the iPhone available from their stores only). There was also disagreement on how subscriber purchases through and for the iPhone would have been handled. Verizon likes to price-control the market interactions of its users (V-Cast), and Apple wanted iTunes to drive at least music purchases.

From a marketing perspective, I don't disagree with Verizon's initial refusal of Apple's demands. Marketing profit is diminished when you limit the channels that customers normally use to purchase products. While the iPhone is available for purchase online, would-be iPhone customers that would have gone to a Verizon store would have been lost. You also lose out on the ability to cross- and up-sell accessories or services by having customers go to an Apple store, which is largely important for Verizon given that accessories comprise the products with the highest markups. If you ever have the dubious honor of inspecting a cracked-open car charger, you'll notice it consists of a small, RAM-like circuit board with an LED that probably costs cents to make in China. Yet we're charged $19.99. I digress.

However, infinitely more painful to Verizon was the swoosh sound as millions of subscribers flocked to AT&T - and stayed there given the hostage-like nature of wireless contracts. It dropped them to #2 in total subscribers (prior to the acquisition of Alltel). Apple took a different type of hit as several debacles (late shipments, iPhone 4 antenna, iPhone 4 prototype getting lost, lovely AT&T data connectivity, products on backorder, Jobs' "just hold your phone a different way", incompatibility with Flash) threatened its carefully manicured and strongly-defended image.

Verizon ended up making a smart play (which was puzzling at first) by getting into the Android business; puzzling in that they were giving up revenue controls but smart in that they licensed "Droid" from LucasFilm, using it confuse customers into thinking that Android and Droid were one and the same, and only available from Verizon.

code:
DDRRROOOOOIIIID
Despite the iPhones unprecedented success, it was the explosive growth of Android that brought Apple execs back to the bargaining table. The retaliation punch from Verizon - powered by Google.

I'd say Verizon by a large margin stands the most to gain because their revenue is subscription-based and their profits don't suffer as much from market saturation, whereas Apple would have to spend more money to penetrate other market segments once the early users are depleted. Clearly, both companies will do very well. I just think Verizon came into this with arms wide open whereas Apple put out a hand like "we done hosed up, but we still boys".

I think Verizon will concede to limiting the iPhone's physical distribution channel to Apple stores only but behind the scenes is concocting some strategy to get in on accessories or profits from iTunes somehow. Apple is likewise figuring out a way to throw a wet blanket over Android. I would love to be the fly on the wall when Apple tries to convince Verizon to throw Android under the bus.

Ample
Dec 26, 2007
Hoping to get some career advice here that this doesn't sound to much like a pity party. I graduated in 2009 with a major in communications from a private college (decent gpa + internships). I wanted to go into account management in the advertising industry but when the recession hit, job hiring froze and I was unable to get any job in ad land. Last year I managed to work part time doing mostly wine and spirit shows as well as a small month long research project at a public relations company.

This year I found a full time job doing market research for an upstart wine and spirits importer, though its more like a glorified internship, and pays worse than one. I hate my job and feel pretty stuck in my current situation. And despite the market being a bit better I still have not been successful in my attempts to acquire a job in the ad industry. I am however fortunate enough to be able to live in my parents house.

Looking to better my job situation by opening more paths of employment with hire earning potential, I am considering earning my MBA. I realize this is not the ideal situation and that my work experience is lacking. I also realize that having a MBA now does not guarantee a job. My parents think that while a MBA could help it would mostly likely only put me into more debt.

I feel pretty sucker punched by the economy and that if I had been born 5 years earlier I be right on my career path. I considered myself relatively bright and hard working--all I want is a job I do not hate and to be financially self sufficient with some kind of career ladder. I am also considering the U.S. Military.

Is anyone else in a situation like this? Any input or advice would be helpful. I also apologize if my post came off like a live journal rant.

Ample fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 28, 2010

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Kafka Esq. fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 26, 2015

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ample posted:

Is anyone else in a situation like this? .

Lots of people are, and a lot of them look at MBAs, which is why your doing it is not a great idea. It doesn't sound like you have the resume for a good program right now (though you do have a nice start), so you'll be dropping a lot of money on a degree that won't pay off super well in the short term. I would explore different work options for the time being, the military (as an officer candidate) being a good one if you're interested in it.

Koine posted:

I'm a little curious about what constitutes job experience. I've been working as an administrator/salesperson for a small appliance sales & service company for five years. I've won national sales contests, tripled their barbecue business and taken over various aspects of the company. I could get a glowing letter of recommendation from the owner. Would this be what they're looking for?

Edit: by they I mean admissions.

Big time. Any marketing class will probably discuss sales at some point, and I don't think there was a single person in my courses who had any real sales experience. This also puts you in a much stronger position when you graduate, as not many successful sales folks get an MBA and sales managers are hot commodities.

I would recommend also that you try and stay in a sales capacity while in school and focus on it for your internship if at all possible or desirable.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
An MBA at a public school will set you back a bit but not nearly as much as a private school would and you can apply for interest and no-interest FAFSA loans. I didn't think I would apply for any financial aid but the government was more than willing to foot my tuition bill, which for my program is in the $40k range.

I heard on NPR how some business schools are re-evaluating their MBA programs in light of the recession. I think going to such a school could make you more marketable, especially for corporations whose apparent lack of competence damaged their reputations.

Your work history is weak but on the bright side, at least you have a work history to show for your time. If you get denied on your MBA applications, join the military.