Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I really liked this episode, it made me feel all nostalgic both for lovely games and also for the Grinch. This is James' goal after all. I thought the illustrations were particularly excellent.

The rhyming didn't really bother me at all, because what do you expect when you're rhyming things like "poo poo" and "monkey balls."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I thought the new episode kinda sucked :ohdear:

I appreciate what he tried to do, but it just didn't work for me.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

miscellaneous14 posted:

This episode actually makes me wonder if he's getting sick of the routine, and would rather do more new games like that Castlevania: Lord of Shadow video. I certainly wouldn't mind, since he always seems to be calm and constructive for those.

I'd be fine with that. Zero Punctuation could use some competition.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Almost Smart posted:

I thought the new episode kinda sucked :ohdear:

I appreciate what he tried to do, but it just didn't work for me.

Yeah I gotta be honest I just didn't feel it. I feel like if you can't get a decent rhyme scheme going you lost the entire goal of a doctor Seuss parody.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Anyone else notice this?

Does it mean that Bear McCreary--the guy who did the awesome music for Battlestar Galactica and a bunch of other movies and tv shows--helped James with this?

Or does it mean that he has a version of "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" that I can listen to? Because I imagine that it would be awesome.

Edit: Oh poo poo: don't tell me he did the score for that Jim Carey abortion from a while ago.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Kieselguhr Kid posted:

You're thinking of If Chins Could Kill, Bruce Campbell's autobiography (which I also own). You're correct that it isn't a novelty book. Make Love The Bruce Campbell way is a not-at-all-good work of fiction by a man who, as much as I love him, should probably never try to write a novel again.

e: Also gently caress yeah new nerd.

It's just a not very good novel, it's not really gimmicky, is my point.

ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH
I really really liked the christmas special. I don't know why POPEYE for NES was on the lovely games list. What kind of crazy world is this?

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Yeah, I didn't like this episode either. Shame he had to top off 2010 with it, considering he put out some of his absolute best videos this year. All I really want is more of the same, honestly. Just James sitting down, playing a game, and talking about it in detail. His writing has become so good that he could just sit down with a Hot Pocket and review it, and I'd probably watch the video 20 times over the next five years. It also means that we won't get another nerd episode until January, and everything he mentioned is not likely going to get its own episode. That means no Wall Street Kid or North and South, two games I had as a child. :(

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I really liked the Three Stooges NES game.

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)
^^ I played it on GBA(?) once and kind of enjoyed it. I probably would've popped a blood vessel if I paid full price for it on NES when it came out though.

TheJoker138 posted:

It's just a not very good novel, it's not really gimmicky, is my point.

Okay, fair enough. Sorry if I came off as condescending, I honestly thought you'd probably just mixed them up.

My perspective is that it's part of a whole load of Bruce Campbell stuff where he's depicted as a moron and a raging jackass, plus a whole load of injokes. When I say gimmicky I mean only that it's Bruce-playing-the-monkey stuff for people who'll buy anything with his name on it (which he openly admits on the back cover). Honestly, I find it pretty embarassing; Bruce was sharp and witty and likeable, not a bumbling jackass. It seems demeaning.

Kieselguhr Kid fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 9, 2010

oldgoatmon
Jul 4, 2004

Ohhh Bitch, You Got Jacked Bitch

Kieselguhr Kid posted:

^^ I played it on GBA(?) once and kind of enjoyed it. I probably would've popped a blood vessel if I paid full price for it on NES when it came out though.

I had it, it was a gift from my grandmother because it was cheap. I think she got it for 25 bucks from sears or something.

I liked it as a kid. Pie fighting, crackers, boxing, most the non trivia games were fun.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Kieselguhr Kid posted:

Okay, fair enough. Sorry if I came off as condescending, I honestly thought you'd probably just mixed them up.

My perspective is that it's part of a whole load of Bruce Campbell stuff where he's depicted as a moron and a raging jackass, plus a whole load of injokes. When I say gimmicky I mean only that it's Bruce-playing-the-monkey stuff for people who'll buy anything with his name on it (which he openly admits on the back cover). Honestly, I find it pretty embarassing; Bruce was sharp and witty and likeable, not a bumbling jackass. It seems demeaning.

Bruce in his stuff like that, or that movie he made where he played "himself" is just doing a character, which is itself a take on the kind of smarmy jackass he played in the Evil Dead movies. He's not the first actor to do something like that, and it works for him, so hey, more power to the guy. I'd much rather see him doing more things like Bubba Ho Tep, but he has to pay the bills somehow, and it's still entertaining at the least.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

ohnoitschris posted:

That means no Wall Street Kid or North and South, two games I had as a child. :(

I wouldn't say this is a guarantee at all.

I liked the new episode, pretty drat good. Although I was expecting the whole "they're happy despite the fact that they have lovely games" moral of the story to be "they're happy because they're playing games with their friends".

Progject
Apr 23, 2006

ohnoitschris posted:

That means no Wall Street Kid or North and South, two games I had as a child. :(

Nah, not necessarily - he has been known to go back and revisit games in more depth... I'm intrigued by that Wall Street Kid game, I've never heard of it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

catears posted:

Nah, not necessarily - he has been known to go back and revisit games in more depth... I'm intrigued by that Wall Street Kid game, I've never heard of it.

It's stock exchange sim on the NES. No, really.

So yeah I think he'll go back to it, it's too good to ignore.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
SomethingAwful actually has a review on Wall Street Kid.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Also a fantastic LP. I almost never enjoy screenshot LPs but this was great.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen
Berzerk is an awesome game, both in the arcade and on the 2600. I'm wondering if they were stretching for something that rhymed with "Jerk" or if there's something really off with the game that I dismissed. He could go into some good history with it too, as it's one of the first games to have "killed" someone.

pokecapn fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 9, 2010

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

elf help book posted:

I really liked the Three Stooges NES game.

I'm a big Three Stooges fan, even when I younger, so I ended up getting that game as a kid even though I never asked for it (it was probably cheap by the time I got it). All the minigames being based on shorts were novel and I always kicked rear end at Three Stooges trivia. That game is still sitting on my shelf, I ought to fire it up again and dominate it like I used to.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

pokecapn posted:

I'm wondering if they were stretching for something that rhymed with "Jerk"

This is what I'm assuming (hoping :ohdear:). I can't imagine someone actually disliking Berzerk. I still fire up the ol' 2600 and play it and a few others a few times a year. James even touched on how classic the old Atari games are back in his 5200 video and I think he used Berzerk as an example in that.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I thought the Christmas thing was pretty cheesy, but charming at the same time. I probably would've preferred a more standard Christmas review, but I really have a soft spot for Christmas-y things, and a Grinch parody fits that quite nicely.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I loved the video just because those loving doors in Fist of the North Star have bugged me for years.

Also you can't run in FotNS because Kenshiro walks slowly everywhere, and can also jump like 50 feet into the air. While the game is pretty lovely, it's very faithful for an NES-era licensed platformer.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

Anyone else notice this?

Does it mean that Bear McCreary--the guy who did the awesome music for Battlestar Galactica and a bunch of other movies and tv shows--helped James with this?

Or does it mean that he has a version of "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" that I can listen to? Because I imagine that it would be awesome.

Edit: Oh poo poo: don't tell me he did the score for that Jim Carey abortion from a while ago.

@bearmccreary Loved the music you did for James Rolfe's latest video

@bearmccreary Bear McCreary
@PhotexRI Thanks! My official blog post goes up in a few days...

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Well just checked both gametrailers and youtube for both christmas videos and I've got to say they are both pretty drat bad.

Still, he is probably busy as gently caress with all the crap he is doing and I'm sure he tried his best with the rhymes so its nice of him.

Phalex
May 14, 2002

Photex posted:

@bearmccreary Loved the music you did for James Rolfe's latest video

@bearmccreary Bear McCreary
@PhotexRI Thanks! My official blog post goes up in a few days...

drat, I thought that was just a joke. Good for him.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

Kieselguhr Kid posted:

Am I a super-sperger, or is the terrible, inconsistant rhyming and meter really distracting? Please don't try to take on Dr Seuss if you can't deal with the technical side of the writing. It just sounds clumsy and awkward.

This. Linkara just did a comic book review spoofing "The Night Before Christmas," and it fell victim to the same problem, since it has the same rhyme scheme and manner as Dr. Seuss. Even The Onion had a very funny editorial by Dr. Seuss's corpse asking his wife to stop making his films into movies that only got it right half the time.

There's more to making fun of Seuss than just rhyming-
It's all about meter! It's all about timing!
Why is it that so many fail when they spin it
When I wrote these four lines in less than a minute?

ETA: The episode itself was pretty fun though. And the Grinch song parody was great (save for that internal rhyme in the second verse)- I think it's physically impossible to gently caress up the Grinch song.

mobo85 fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 10, 2010

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I thought the episode was good, but not as good as the last two Christmas specials. I guess it was too different from his usual videos that it feels a bit off at first, but probably after a few viewings, I'll like it more. Plus, I don't think I ever read the book nor seen the cartoon nor seen the movie, so maybe a lot of the jokes/references went over my head. :shobon:

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.
North and South was an excellent game :colbert:

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
I really enjoyed the Nerd's Christmas Special - the rhyming didn't bother me at all, the illustrations were great, and it had a nice pace to it.

But how the heck did he get Bear McCreary to do the music? That's awesome. Battlestar Galactica's soundtracks are incredible, and they really did their part in elevating the serie to greatness.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
Hey guys, sorry for the non-Nerd bump, but I just thought I'd let you all know that Spoony is selling signed photos of himself! OH MY GOD!!!

http://spoonyexperiment.com/spoony-photos/

Hurry up and buy one, or SEVEN!

:swoon:

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Is he serious? I can't tell anymore.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Is there a downloadable version of the Christmas Special episode? I like to have every AVGN episode on my PS3 and since the Special wasn't on GameTrailers I couldn't get it normally.

Also does anyone have a complete episode list? I remember seeing that Lester episode claiming to be Episode 96 but I realized I only had like 89 episodes at the time.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Policenaut posted:

Is there a downloadable version of the Christmas Special episode? I like to have every AVGN episode on my PS3 and since the Special wasn't on GameTrailers I couldn't get it normally.

Also does anyone have a complete episode list? I remember seeing that Lester episode claiming to be Episode 96 but I realized I only had like 89 episodes at the time.

No downloadable version as far as I know, but I can point out some good Youtube downloading software if you like.

Like this: http://youtubedownload.altervista.org/

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Ez posted:

Hey guys, sorry for the non-Nerd bump, but I just thought I'd let you all know that Spoony is selling signed photos of himself! OH MY GOD!!!

As someone who's only seen Spoony like once, he seriously looks like a mix between Chris Kattan and Ernest P. Worrell.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

PalmTreeFun posted:

No downloadable version as far as I know, but I can point out some good Youtube downloading software if you like.

Like this: http://youtubedownload.altervista.org/

Just use http://keepvid.com. You don't need any software and I think they were the first ones to create a youtube-download site before a hundred copycats showed up. It won't transcode the videos though so you'll end up with the original flv or mp4.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

Ez posted:

What a fantastic gift for everybody.

Ho ho ho. Merry ego.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
I have to say that is pretty frightening. Some of the others were a bit less insane, but that particular picture is really odd.

I'm glad that I developed taste before I developed website construction abilities.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I was bothered by the rhyming in the AVGN. The idea was solid, and the Grinch song was fantastic, but the rhyming really should have been improved. There were times when it sounded like he was just speaking in a normal tone, and it had a very :effort: feel to it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
It's mostly that he has no sense of meter and that even when the written line has okay meter, his utter lack of rhythm means he reads it flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Policenaut posted:

Here is the official numbered list of all AVGN episodes.
http://www.cinemassacre.com/2007/04/08/full-list-of-avgn-videos/

• Locked thread