Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Messyass posted:

We lost again last saturday. Against our closest competitors at the bottom of the table... I had to leave at half time when it was still 1-1 and we were starting to look the better team.

I don't even know what our problem is. Of course we aren't any good at football but neither are our opponents. Well, one thing is our coach's insistence on sticking with 4-3-3, when we're always a man short in midfield...

Sounds like us. After 5 straight wins to start the season we're now on a run of 4 straight losses, the last two thanks to shoddy defending in the last 5 minutes of the game. And nearly all losses thanks to a keeper who, after three years with this team, STILL seems to be lost when it comes to fundamentals: Terrible positioning (usually stays glued to the goal line if the ball's ever in our half), no communication, can't ever decide when to come out even when it's obvious, and above all, horrendous distribution - he can't punt worth a drat, he tries to punt it straight-on like a pointy ball and it always ends up going off the side of his foot and out of bounds. Can't throw, either, due to a shoulder injury.

Our passing game's improved, though, amazingly enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reborn
Feb 21, 2007

I haven't really seen a whole lot of talk about match balls so I wanted to see how everyone else felt.

Generally I play with adidas balls just because they were what my local shop carried. I've never really cared too much about what I had at my feet as long as it was pumped to a proper pressure. However, since last spring it seems I was the only one bringing decent balls to the matches all four nights of the week. I picked up a nice feeling Adiads F50 X-ite but after 3 or 4 matches the outer layer had a small hole in it. I picked up a few more and the same thing happened. I switched away from balls that have the outer foam type of layer but the 30-50$ balls were still just getting tore up. I went through 5 balls last season so it's time to upgrade.

I'm looking at picking up a Nike T90 Tracer one night this week to see if it'll hold up at least one whole season without turning completely black, and or obtaining a hole in the outer layer. I was wondering if anyone had any other input on a good ball which can last a whole year and feels right at your feet.

reborn fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 16, 2010

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
I got a T90 Multi-elite Turf ball a year ago and it has been one of 3-5 match balls in both indoor and outdoor. No holes, still looks and feels great.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

reborn posted:

I'm looking at picking up a Nike T90 Tracer one night this week to see if it'll hold up at least one whole season without turning completely black, and or obtaining a hole in the outer layer. I was wondering if anyone had any other input on a good ball which can last a whole year and feels right at your feet.

I love Nike balls. I haven't played with the Tracer but I have pretty much all of the previous Nike versions from the Total 90 Aerow forward. They've all last me quite a long time, using them a few times a week and they're my team's match balls. If you're playing on turf the ball is going to turn black, that's inevitable. I don't like the feel of Adidas balls personally that's why I keep buying Nike ones. If you're not too pressed for time you can sometimes pick up the previous version of Nike balls on eBay for a fraction of their retail cost.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I really like the feel of the Nike ones but I have to be honest, the last 4 I've had all developed slow punctures within a few months and none of them looked like making a full season. That said my team did play on a pitch with thorny bushes behind one of the goals. I think I'd still rather by a new ball every 6 weeks than play with a rock hard headbusting Mitre ball though (yes I am soft).

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
Our club team at my university used these for practice all season

http://www.soccer.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Ne=646&N=4294960224+368+4294959028&Product_Id=586168

They were fantastic except for a little air loss.

We used these as game balls

http://www.soccer.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Ne=646&N=4294960224+368+4294959028&Product_Id=586167

I'm really happy with the nike balls, recommend either one of these

reborn
Feb 21, 2007

Thanks for the input everyone! I went and grabbed a Nike T90 match rated ball (I believe the pitch) just to give it a shot. Then on my way home from work I stopped by the local shop and talked myself into just grabbing the T90 Tracer as well haha.

I'll let you all know how it holds up but after a quick initial field test it feels good. Longevity is what I'm looking for though. I'll be putting it through its paces this winter season.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Messyass posted:

We lost again last saturday. Against our closest competitors at the bottom of the table... I had to leave at half time when it was still 1-1 and we were starting to look the better team.

I don't even know what our problem is. Of course we aren't any good at football but neither are our opponents. Well, one thing is our coach's insistence on sticking with 4-3-3, when we're always a man short in midfield...

Our "assistant-coach" got us together and introduced our new super strategy, a 4-5-1 which looks something like this:

code:

11	10	8
7				6
	5		2

We used to get outplayed in the midfield because the 3 attackers didn't track back, so now we play with a lone striker (his skills are the key to this whole thing working), and a block of three (8, 10, 11) behind him. Because they work as a unit we can now press higher up the pitch without getting outplayed. The left and right midfielders (6, 7) are supposed to cover the whole wings, but rarely go forward, and instead cover overlapping runs from the opponent, and even wide forwards.

We have 4 defenders (2, 3, 4, 5) left to cover two or three attackers. The number 4 is supposed to step up to pick up attacking midfielders, assisted by one of 8-10-11 dropping back. Depending on the opponent 2 or 3 can also be free to move forward.

It worked very well in our last match (although we still lost 3-2 thanks to conceding some ridiculous goals from set pieces and losing our heads in the second half). We left our opponent confused and out of breath. At the end of the second half we pushed them back far enough that I was totally free (playing as number 2) to make runs into their penalty area.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
Do most of your mens teams play sweeper stopper? Any quality teams here play a flat four. Even at the adult level.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

We're not a quality team so that's your answer. To be honest I don't know what's most common these days. We just play to the strengths of our players.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I played against a back 3 a couple of weeks ago, and I used it myself whenever possible while I was managing. A flat four just causes you no end of grief when a) there's no linesman so the offside trap is unreliable and b) your fullbacks don't understand their position well enough to cover the centre backs. Now that I'm back in England though that one back 3 I went up against is the only one I've seen at all so far. Shame my team's manager believes in nothing but rigid 4-4-2 despite the fact we have the laziest midfield I've ever seen...

e: I suppose if you're playing somewhere where managers are more adventurous and you can't guarantee you'll always face 2 up top you might not always have the option of a back 3, if say 4-3-3 is the most common in your league. I've been told that at amateur level everyone in Germany plays 3-5-2 and they all balance each other out, but I doubt there are many in the UK who understand the concept.

Scikar fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 23, 2010

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

We do have linesmen but they're unreliable, so you'll want to play with a fast guy that plays as a de facto sweeper anyway.

In the Netherlands everyone plays 4-3-3 and we were undone by a 4-4-2 earlier this season. Funny how that works.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

The most frustrating feeling in football is not losing, its losing when you personally could have won it, regardless of the rest of the game.

In my 5-aside league my team were down 5 - 1 at the break, playing absolute bollocks and just falling apart really.

Second half, I scored a hattrick to bring it to 5 - 4 and then missed an absolute sitter which woulda brought it to 5 - 5. Keeper then makes a stupid mistake and throws the ball to their player to score to make it 6 - 4 and although we scored another we were never gonna come back from there.

Me and one other guy on my team basically got us back into it and the score was a lot closer than it shoulda been, but I am really pissed off with my performance, all from one loving miss :(

Football, hell of a lovely game.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Carrier posted:

The most frustrating feeling in football is not losing, its losing when you personally could have won it, regardless of the rest of the game.

In my 5-aside league my team were down 5 - 1 at the break, playing absolute bollocks and just falling apart really.

Second half, I scored a hattrick to bring it to 5 - 4 and then missed an absolute sitter which woulda brought it to 5 - 5. Keeper then makes a stupid mistake and throws the ball to their player to score to make it 6 - 4 and although we scored another we were never gonna come back from there.

Me and one other guy on my team basically got us back into it and the score was a lot closer than it shoulda been, but I am really pissed off with my performance, all from one loving miss :(

Football, hell of a lovely game.

My first game for my new team yesterday and I am doing really well

We are down 4-3, last minute corner, ball drops to me and I'm a 2 yards out with an open net, and I do a total swing-and-miss

ugh

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

I'll show you and your massive chebs the time of your lives you sexy fuck
Try 3-2-3-2. It'll blow your mind.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Match today cancelled because of snow

Managed to get a good pair of shinpads for £3, which were meant to be £18 on sale for £10. Thank you silly sportsworld worker

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Match tomorrow not cancelled yet despite snow, as the ref wants to inspect it to decide if 6 inches of snow is going to be a problem. :v:

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Our home pitch turns into a swamp every time it rains, so matches get cancelled all the time.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Woo. Won our 3rd place playoff 5-4. I had more back passes than shots against in the second half (4-4 at the half, we nailed one at the final whistle :smuggo:). One of these days I'll score with a shot from my own penalty area (not as far-fetched as it sounds, the pitch is the size of a netball court) :smith:.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Messyass posted:

Our home pitch turns into a swamp every time it rains, so matches get cancelled all the time.

Ours is actually the flood plain of the river running through town...:doh:

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

:love: Colly

Anyone in Melbourne can watch a highlights/replay of my mixed ammos team win the Collingwood Div 2 Sunday league final on Channel31 tonight between 7 and 8. I think it's on at about 730 during the Extra Time show. I have no idea why it's going to be on tv, the quality is of play is so low but whatever it's going to be awesome.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Hit the post/crossbar four times yesterday and then I was shot right in the balls and had to leave.

Football is cruel.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
My team won our first ever grand final tonight! 2-1 against a team that had been scoring roughly five or six goals per game. All up we conceded 28 goals in 16 games, which is an extremely handy record.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
God dammit, I'm so pissed right now. My neighbor invited me to play the indoor team he's a part of and I joined them on Sunday night. I had never played indoor before but warmed up to it quickly enough and got the game-tying assist and had a lot of fun. Before the match started I asked several people on the team if it was definitely okay to join before I paid the $10 league registration fee and they all said it was fine. During the game everyone was chattering about how great it was to actually have substitutes for a change and wished that many people would show up every week.

Well today, just after getting home from buying turf shoes, I got a call from my neighbor saying that he'd been arguing with the unofficial "team captain" via email but in the end it was decided that there was no room for me on the team and I wasn't welcome to play with them again. I know it's not a matter of inexperience because it's a casual coed team. Apparently someone's just being a dick and wants me gone. At least my neighbor is being kind enough to reimburse the $10 fee, even though this wasn't his fault.

Edit: VVV and the money I spent on the turf shoes I don't see any use for in the future. I don't know, I'm just really disappointed because we've been talking about getting me on that team off and on since June and I thought it was really happening. That, and I haven't heard any reason for why I can't play, just that I can't.

Visual Sneeze fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 16, 2010

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

it's just $10 dude.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Can someone recommend a good cheap pair of trainers for playing 5-a-side in a wooden-floored school gym basketball court arena? I get the most awful blisters from the Adidas ones I use at the moment.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Breath Ray posted:

Can someone recommend a good cheap pair of trainers for playing 5-a-side in a wooden-floored school gym basketball court arena? I get the most awful blisters from the Adidas ones I use at the moment.

Sambas.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
started playing keeper in goal, can anybody recommend any decent gloves? it cant be anything obscure (hard to obtain) or too expensive (i'm hoping <100$, less than <50$ if possible)

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Shrapnac posted:

Sambas.

Gee thanks. How do Sambas perform on astroturf/sanded carpet? From playing tennis I remember slipping about a bit.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Breath Ray posted:

Gee thanks. How do Sambas perform on astroturf/sanded carpet? From playing tennis I remember slipping about a bit.

i think as most people have said when the shoe discussion comes up it is pretty much a matter of personal taste, go to the store, try a few on and make up your mind from there. Personally I find most of the Adidas indoor shoes have quite a thick sole which makes me feel a bit high off the ground, the Nike T-5 series are a bit flimsy but much better. What's my point? try some shoes on.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

hughsieblingwish posted:

i think as most people have said when the shoe discussion comes up it is pretty much a matter of personal taste, go to the store, try a few on and make up your mind from there. Personally I find most of the Adidas indoor shoes have quite a thick sole which makes me feel a bit high off the ground, the Nike T-5 series are a bit flimsy but much better. What's my point? try some shoes on.

One problem is that shoe shops are rarely carpeted with astroturf but thanks for the heads up on the T-5s, will give them a spin

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

nervana posted:

started playing keeper in goal, can anybody recommend any decent gloves? it cant be anything obscure (hard to obtain) or too expensive (i'm hoping <100$, less than <50$ if possible)
i use the reusch goaliator pros and they are incredible

http://www.soccerpro.com/Reusch-Goaliator-Pro-Ortho-Tec-Keeper-Gloves-p5324/

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!
i would recommend going into the store and trying on different gloves because the sizing can vary by brand. i'm a 10 in uhlsport, but an 11 in nike.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

nervana posted:

I personally wear Adidas Fingersave Allround. I have the professional pair with the removable spines, but for about half the price you can get the replicas which have fixed spines.

http://www.soccerpro.com/Adidas-FS-Alround-Black-with-White-and-Yellow-p9968/

Oh, and get a glove that's slightly too large for you. You'll thank me later.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I scored today! And then when I lined up for my second, I hit it straight at the keeper from 3 yards:

:suicide:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Winter break ends in about 2 months, just started on getting my fitness back. I'm in such terrible shape it's ridiculous. Not even going to attempt running for 2 weeks, just going to use the stationary bike, and I feel crippled after 12 miles on that yesterday.

Need the snow to melt too so I can start working with a ball again.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Played my first game of indoor today after two months off.

Then I played another game straight after that. Oops.

Played completely lights out in the first game, let in two goals but stopped half a dozen cracking shots and basically single-handedly stopped my team from being completely embarrassed. Except it was a practice game. What's the bet I completely skunk it up next week?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
First game of 2011 in just over 10 minutes time. I've been lifting lots of weights recently but not really doing any stamina or cardio so I'll probably get tired fast. Looking forward too it though. Hoping to run so much my legs ache like an old mans tomorrow and I've got a £5 bet with a fairly inept friend of mine about who can get the most goals tonight.

I like to listen to this just before a game. Its the into sequence for ITV for Euro 2008. Classical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03PXDvIBAMQ

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What a fantastic game of football. 9-2 down at one point. Brought it to 10-10 and then scored 3 seconds before the final whistle.

Scored 5 goals myself and had another 5 on target. Not a bad showing, some right proper strikes, a decent volley the keeper saved and 3 assists. Pretty much bossed the attack which isn't like me on a football pitch.

Legs are loving aching though. Looking forward to the spray of Deep Heat tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Just found this thread, very nice :)

I'm playing for an amateur team in an amateur league here in Munich.
It is an indoor league, so I haven't played outdoor football for a long time,
but indoors I normally play at least once a month, more to two to three times a mont.

I am most useful as a striker or, strangely, as a defensive midfielder.
Thing is I have very good positioning and can place the ball exactly where I want it over short distances, but i have very limited shooting power and my long passing is poo poo. Good thing those skills are not really needed indoors :D

So over the eight years I've been playing in this league I've torn both of my lateral collateral ligaments on my ankles, had a double hernia, broke a toe, lots of cuts in the face and had a severe concussion.

Two weeks ago we played some team with a lot of young guys with bags of motivation but no technique. Especially this one guy thought he was some Ronaldinho hot poo poo but actually he hosed up every time he had the ball, going into 1-1s and losing, making lovely passes etc... So after we went up 9-1 we really started slacking and it quickly became 9-7. Then this "Brazilian" guy was in front of the goal ready to slot it in and I thought if they got to 9-8 it would really be lovely so I went into the tackle the moment he wanted to shoot, got the ball away from him cleanly but he didnt stop so he hit my foot with full force, it bent 90° inwards, I landed on it with my full bodyweight and SNAP.

Lots and lots of pain for 10mins, then nothing. That was the moment I knew my leg was hosed. Well long story short, again 2 of 3 ligaments and also my syndesmosis are torn. I had surgery the next day. I also got some injections of SportVis, some stuff that the physio of Bayern Munich invented.

So I'm walking around atm with an AirCast splint and sometimes crutches.
In around six weeks I'm allowed to start sensible running, hopefully I'll be able to do my 8km runs soon since I already feel fat and bloated :D

And this was my story :D