Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Fabricated posted:

I kinda like how Ippo never has to give a poo poo about his weight when literally every other boxer he fights seems to have to kill themselves to make weight. Also, all he does is add muscle between every fight. He's going to be a 4-foot nothing version of the Incredible Hulk by the time this series is through and yet he'll still be a featherweight.

he's gonna have popeye tumors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Globular Fellow
Sep 5, 2006

by Fistgrrl
I thought all his muscle atrophies between fights and all the LOOK AT DEM MUSCLES parts and his retarded training routines are to add muscle back to specific places which is why they are always drat SON LOOK AT DAT NECK/THOSE TRAPS etc

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Fabricated posted:

I kinda like how Ippo never has to give a poo poo about his weight when literally every other boxer he fights seems to have to kill themselves to make weight. Also, all he does is add muscle between every fight. He's going to be a 4-foot nothing version of the Incredible Hulk by the time this series is through and yet he'll still be a featherweight.

Probably the reason is that he's short. While it's true that pretty much every other boxer he fights have to fight to get under the weight, Ippo has also, with one
notable exception, been smaller than each of his opponents yet (height, not muscle)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm switching over to Rookies for my go-to Sports manga, cause gently caress this poo poo

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

gently caress you Ippo for being mildly interesting this chapter

Last page is pretty much 'Ippo gon give it to ya'

Please let the gimmick be interesting this time around.. series has been going nowhere for ages now.
(Go read Rookies by the way, it's like Ippo when it was good.)

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Man, what a douche bag.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Infinitum posted:

gently caress you Ippo for being mildly interesting this chapter

Last page is pretty much 'Ippo gon give it to ya'

Please let the gimmick be interesting this time around.. series has been going nowhere for ages now.
(Go read Rookies by the way, it's like Ippo when it was good.)
Gonna be disappointed when the new cannon-fodder's trick is that he hits really really hard.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I hope Ippo claims his first kill in the ring.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I would like to see all the guys he called out to challenge him and beat the gently caress out of him :v:

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
I legitimately hate this guy. I hope ippo punches out all of his blood.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
At least that is one thing the series does well. I want to see this loving guy beat to all hell. Last time it was like that was when Takamura fought Hawk, I really couldn't wait to see that guy on his rear end

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Heh, I hope Ippo demolishes another vending machine like he did after Mashiba beat Miyata. And then he demolishes Kojima.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

A OHKO would really make up for the past couple arcs

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Fabricated posted:

Gonna be disappointed when the new cannon-fodder's trick is that he hits really really hard.

Gonna be disappointed when Ippo's mainstay trick is hitting really hard.:pseudo:

I'm totally fine with his gimmick being a non gimmick. If that "blah blah can you breathe underwater guy" from forever ago would just have said that he was going to outlast Ippo I would have liked that fight a bunch more. I don't need magic gloves, or mermaid fighters to fight Ippo. I want to see a boxer fight Ippo. If Ippo has to just take some heavy hits to send some back during this fight, that's fantastic. You don't get it much simpler than that, and simple really is best for this manga.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
That's pretty much what made both Sendo fights so good

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

A OHKO would really make up for the past couple arcs

This would pretty much be the perfect way the fight should go. Then we can get onto fighting Miyata, which was the whole loving point of beating the Pacific Champions.

I swear to loving god if this fight gets dragged out over 50 chapters..

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

It would be awesome if his training in charging in and pushing things in front of him resulted in a Jolt-style Gazille Punch right in this rear end in a top hat's face. Preferably throwing him out of the ring on impact.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
I sure hope Ippo can win the next title defense, and the one after that, and the one after that, and the next fourteen Japan title defenses. Then, he might be able to really take on the world!

Meanwhile, Aoki, Kimura, and Takamura will slip on a giant banana peel into the world's biggest pile of poo poo, and Itagaki learns how to box so fast he accidentally travels back in time and becomes the new Professor Zoom.

Twobits
Apr 30, 2007
my hope for this fight: at first ippos punches don't do much then he unleashes the Dempsey roll v3.0 and knocks him out in the first minute. Kojima dies from his injuries and ippo gets a reputation on the world stage for a murderous punch and finally moves on from Japan.

...of course what will really happen is that it will drag on for 40 chapters :(

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Praying that after all that talk he gets a smashing one round KO and finally moves onto the world.

... :(

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

tbp posted:

At least that is one thing the series does well. I want to see this loving guy beat to all hell. Last time it was like that was when Takamura fought Hawk, I really couldn't wait to see that guy on his rear end

The series does the setup well...but it's most likely that instead of getting his teeth punched through the back of his neck, he'll just learn a valuable lesson and they'll both wind up respecting each other. Hawk was an exception since he was Takamura's opponent; the only person whom Ippo really destroyed with the righteous fist of vengeance was Sawamura, maybe. Even Mashiba got off light, and he was probably the series's biggest rear end in a top hat who isn't a certifiable psychopath.

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"

McNerd posted:

The series does the setup well...but it's most likely that instead of getting his teeth punched through the back of his neck, he'll just learn a valuable lesson and they'll both wind up respecting each other. Hawk was an exception since he was Takamura's opponent; the only person whom Ippo really destroyed with the righteous fist of vengeance was Sawamura, maybe. Even Mashiba got off light, and he was probably the series's biggest rear end in a top hat who isn't a certifiable psychopath.

In my ideal world Ippo calls the bluff, deliberately takes whatever first round punch this guy is apparently planning to ruin him with, and then gets a OHKO. This would make up for the Woli gimmicks ten-fold.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Don't forget the sealing act of injuring him so badly that his career ends!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The setup is interesting but the reason the fight is "supposed" to be interesting is dumber and dumber the more I try to remember poo poo...

I mean, hasn't Ippo fought a LOT of people cutting 1-2 weight classes to get down to him? Like half of his opponents have gone up to higher weight classes after losing to him.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Didn't he go around to different dojo's kicking the crap out of higher weights as training? I seem to remember he actually dominated someone 4 levels higher. That's all I could think of. And besides, doesn't this dropping the weight to Ippo's level mean that his normal power will be reduced?

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"

tazman posted:

Didn't he go around to different dojo's kicking the crap out of higher weights as training? I seem to remember he actually dominated someone 4 levels higher. That's all I could think of. And besides, doesn't this dropping the weight to Ippo's level mean that his normal power will be reduced?

I think the idea is that previous fighters who dropped weight were more gimmick based. All the fighters who slugged it out with Ippo himself were in his own class. So by having someone from a higher class lay into him early on, it's going to rock his world, instead of using that weight advantage to dance around him, or be a secret southpaw and jab the whole fight.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

I can truthfully see this as the last move before he goes onto the world, though. Or the OPBF. Or wherever, but I think we're finally done with these tedious fights after this, because isn't this the first title defense since he became the 'unofficial' OPBF champion?

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

tbp posted:

I can truthfully see this as the last move before he goes onto the world, though. Or the OPBF. Or wherever, but I think we're finally done with these tedious fights after this, because isn't this the first title defense since he became the 'unofficial' OPBF champion?

How many times have you said this... (to yourself)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Kweh posted:

Almost every goddamn fight for the last few hundred chapters could leave anyone thinking this, but the reality is no, it's not going to happen. The last time ippo defends his title will be when the author dies. He's never going to move on :(

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Kweh posted:

Please let me believe..

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Chapter 920

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Vagrancy posted:

Chapter 920
Wow, that's kinda hilarious.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
"Oda! Get over here!"

:btroll: "What's Up?"

Wrenever
Jul 22, 2007

gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you ippo

well my guess is that the dude's hand finally healed or something, that he's been winning with his left but has his right in reserve with some rock out killer blow that he's saved for avenging Oda.

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

More like Wrong Dongson am I right?

Get it?

Because I'm really fucking dumb and annoying and usually have no idea what the fuck I'm talk about.
Or his hand hasn't healed at all, and he intends to go out gracefully by getting the living poo poo pounded out of him by the champion. Just giving up because it's too hard to fight with one hand is one thing, but if you get handed a legendary beating by the champ it's another.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Wong Dongson posted:

Or his hand hasn't healed at all, and he intends to go out gracefully by getting the living poo poo pounded out of him by the champion. Just giving up because it's too hard to fight with one hand is one thing, but if you get handed a legendary beating by the champ it's another.

That's pretty much what I'm expecting. Seems like the guy was trying to get under Ippo's skin to make Ippo serious instead of going easy and taking pity on him cause of his injury. Definitely would've preferred him if he was just a jerk.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Chapter 921

Twobits
Apr 30, 2007

Vagrancy posted:

Chapter 921

I liked how mori seemed to make fun of himself and admit the problem of dragging on the story there

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
I'm starting to get the feeling that the guy is basically doing it to make Ippo fight as seriously as possible without holding back whatsoever, so Ippo can finally see how loving stupid it is for him to still have the Japanese title, when he can beat the poo poo out of nearly everyone without a problem and move on.

Regarding his 'weakness', it probably is that Ippo is completely unable to avoid taking blows. Any match Ippo ever has fought involves Ippo taking just as many punches as he dishes out. Though, on the other hand, Ippo is basically unbreakable, and if Kojima really is a 'hard puncher', then Ippo should have this one in the bag, and everyone ought to know that. I'm thinking his real weakness is something like Miyata's special counter, the one where he basically just knocked Randy Boy Jr. out temporarily, because it avoids Ippo's two main strengths. First of all, as the one using it is an outboxer, he can attempt keeping away from Ippo, second of all, it completely bypasses Ippo's ridiculous durability. I just can't see how Kojima would attempt something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big L
Oct 30, 2005

Fedora Emelianenko

Exercu posted:

I'm starting to get the feeling that the guy is basically doing it to make Ippo fight as seriously as possible without holding back whatsoever, so Ippo can finally see how loving stupid it is for him to still have the Japanese title, when he can beat the poo poo out of nearly everyone without a problem and move on.

That and also perhaps the old "guy wants to fight/get beat by his idol fighting at 100% before he retires" thing.