Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Thanks for all the links posted for bunny gifts :) I need to find something to give my brother's bunnys that they don't already have and I saw some good ideas. Bonus pics:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

a duck posted:

I love it when they periscope like that.

As for bunny gift, I can't recall if you're the person who posted that his brother's family was in a rough spot financially. If that's the case maybe consider buying food or litter. Carefresh and Oxbow can set me back $50 and I'd be thrilled if someone gifted them to me. Not exactly a "fun" present though.

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009
One of our buns managed to find and eat part of a Hershey's Kiss. About 1/3 of it has been chewed away, so in theory he ingested that much. Should we call the vet first thing in the morning and go in for an emergency appointment? His energy level is normal and he's currently munching on veg (quite excitedly, as usual). He would have eaten it sometime in the last five hours.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
So the vet was very impressed with how well Cinnabun's wound is healing, it's almost gone and doesn't have the gross thickness it did in the beginning.

Right now I am at my mother's house for the holidays and Cinnabun is staying with my friend, another shelter volunteer. She really wants Cinnabun but was worried her dog would get so excited over her it'd just stress the bunny out.

I messaged her yesterday to see how it was going. Her dog is still very excited but knows she can't have the bunny. Also, Cinnabun has perfected her escape technique by jumping out of the pen, so she or I will need to get a cover for the top of it. Luckily she doesn't really have anything on/near the floor that would hurt the bunny (thank god Cinnabun's not much of a destructive chewer).

So if things continue to go well, Cinnabun may have a new home with my friend, which will be great since I can still visit her. :3:

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

justFaye posted:

One of our buns managed to find and eat part of a Hershey's Kiss. About 1/3 of it has been chewed away, so in theory he ingested that much. Should we call the vet first thing in the morning and go in for an emergency appointment? His energy level is normal and he's currently munching on veg (quite excitedly, as usual). He would have eaten it sometime in the last five hours.

He's fine. Chocolate is not really an issue unless he gorged himself on it.

Skizzles, great to hear about Cinnabun! He really is looking great in the recent photos, and so happy!

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Skizzles posted:

So the vet was very impressed with how well Cinnabun's wound is healing, it's almost gone and doesn't have the gross thickness it did in the beginning.

Right now I am at my mother's house for the holidays and Cinnabun is staying with my friend, another shelter volunteer. She really wants Cinnabun but was worried her dog would get so excited over her it'd just stress the bunny out.

I messaged her yesterday to see how it was going. Her dog is still very excited but knows she can't have the bunny. Also, Cinnabun has perfected her escape technique by jumping out of the pen, so she or I will need to get a cover for the top of it. Luckily she doesn't really have anything on/near the floor that would hurt the bunny (thank god Cinnabun's not much of a destructive chewer).

So if things continue to go well, Cinnabun may have a new home with my friend, which will be great since I can still visit her. :3:

Yay! She seems like such a sweetheart, and as most of us in this thread can testify, buns like that are somewhat rare :3: I hope it works out for your friend - dogs can be trained :)

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I just found these videos of the cutest little baby bunnies ever.

Dusty's first day home

Part 2

Mochi's first day home

Mochi sleepy and chilled out

Jesus Christ baby buns are the cutest things ever!!! :swoon:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ShadowCatboy posted:

:swoon:

I have officially melted.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
We had a scare last night with Cilantro. My wife and I are out of town visiting family for the holidays and the pet sitters know to watch for "irregular" behavior. They came over and gave her a plate of greens and she sniffed it and laid down. Then they waited 15 minutes and nothing. They put down her pellets and she sniffed them and laid down. They gave her a :siren:TREAT:siren: and she nommed it a bit and laid down.

So they called us and my wife got all worried that she was going to go into stasis. So we told the sitters where the metoclopramide was (just in case) and asked them to stick their heads in on her this morning just to see if she ate.

This morning I got a text: "Clean plate!"

Crisis: Averted.

:argh: Bunnies :argh:

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Mr. Bun is 13 years old now give or take. Was told he was 6 months 12.5 years ago so we just say christmas. His eye seems to be getting a bit weepy so he may need to go to the vet soon, hoping its not any of the fun molar things I am reading could cause it. Happy birthday. :unsmith:

My sister is here for xmas and she got her own bunny a month or so ago. We are keeping them separate with wire cube fences. TJ, my sister's 1.5 year old male, is bouncing all over and I think was grunting when Bun was near. Bun is the definition of not caring at all and was even eating lettuce on the fence with this new rabbit in his face, though I think once he may have tried to lick TJ's head through the wire, hard to tell. I expected a bit more of a reaction from Bun, I guess its more of a "I'm too old for this."
Is it too much to expect them be allowed out in the open at the same time eventually if they will only see each other sporadically?

Dr. Octagon
Aug 12, 2008

Ride or Die Bitch, Esq.
Merry Christmas, bunny thread!

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Happy Holidays everyone!

I just wanted to share this goofy bun holiday picture, you can totally tell he's throwing the boots away from him in disgust :3:

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

ShadowCatboy posted:

I just found these videos of the cutest little baby bunnies ever.

Dusty's first day home

Part 2

Mochi's first day home

Mochi sleepy and chilled out

Jesus Christ baby buns are the cutest things ever!!! :swoon:

While unreal cute, the fawn one is way to young to be separated from the mom. It's pretty spazzed out :(

Glasgow
Nov 7, 2009

Must you betray me with a kiss?
Merry Christmas, bunny people. I spent my day at the exotics shelter. Most of the people who agreed to come today didn't show. It was annoying, but ended up being rather quiet and nice, and everything got done in time for me to try dating my stubborn rabbit some more. And finally, Muta has a boyfriend! Every bunny we've dated her with so far has been...not good, in one way or another. But this looks really good, I'm so glad she'll finally have a husbunny.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Bunway Airlines posted:

While unreal cute, the fawn one is way to young to be separated from the mom. It's pretty spazzed out :(

Don't worry, the little brown one was apparently just readjusting... it was definitely really young (two weeks old, tops). However the next day it was bouncing around and totally fine.

He's fully grown now, too. :)

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Glasgow posted:

Merry Christmas, bunny people. I spent my day at the exotics shelter. Most of the people who agreed to come today didn't show. It was annoying, but ended up being rather quiet and nice, and everything got done in time for me to try dating my stubborn rabbit some more. And finally, Muta has a boyfriend! Every bunny we've dated her with so far has been...not good, in one way or another. But this looks really good, I'm so glad she'll finally have a husbunny.

Just have your cards lined up for when you get home. Ender was very friendly with Portia at the shelter and got very, very territorial when she was brought home. It took me months to get her over the initial time he attacked her :( What actually finally worked for us was that we moved to a new place and that solved the problem. I'm glad you found one you like :3:

Glasgow
Nov 7, 2009

Bunway Airlines posted:

Just have your cards lined up for when you get home. Ender was very friendly with Portia at the shelter and got very, very territorial when she was brought home. It took me months to get her over the initial time he attacked her :( What actually finally worked for us was that we moved to a new place and that solved the problem. I'm glad you found one you like :3:

I'm prepared for a long bonding process. Muta is kind of a brat anyway, and I was committed to adopting a rabbit that had been at the shelter for a while. Not one of the sweet cute ones, but instead one that I thought had less of a chance of finding a home soon.

Arthas has several strikes against him: He's an NZW, so, white with red eyes, and he has some cage aggression issues, though so far as I know he's never bitten anyone. Muta has had some dates in the past that just did not go well. Arthas has been at our shelter for a really long time, and he's the one I originally wanted to try, but when I first started dating her he was injured, so they just got to meet today. I'm so glad it went well.

She put her head down in a submissive "groom me" fashion, but he would only sniff her and then turn away. She got more aggressive with her submission, and ended up sorta chasing him around the pen with her head down, demanding to be groomed. She's an English Spot, so he's about 3 times her size. It was absolutely adorable. The goony bunny just didn't know how to act with attention from a girl.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Glasgow posted:

I'm prepared for a long bonding process. Muta is kind of a brat anyway, and I was committed to adopting a rabbit that had been at the shelter for a while. Not one of the sweet cute ones, but instead one that I thought had less of a chance of finding a home soon.

Arthas has several strikes against him: He's an NZW, so, white with red eyes, and he has some cage aggression issues, though so far as I know he's never bitten anyone. Muta has had some dates in the past that just did not go well. Arthas has been at our shelter for a really long time, and he's the one I originally wanted to try, but when I first started dating her he was injured, so they just got to meet today. I'm so glad it went well.

She put her head down in a submissive "groom me" fashion, but he would only sniff her and then turn away. She got more aggressive with her submission, and ended up sorta chasing him around the pen with her head down, demanding to be groomed. She's an English Spot, so he's about 3 times her size. It was absolutely adorable. The goony bunny just didn't know how to act with attention from a girl.

:3: I love it when they get angrily submissive. GROOM ME DAMNIT :xd:

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
I'm thinking about getting a baby gate for my bedroom, since keeping the door shut all day leaves it really cold by bedtime. Would 23" be high enough, or do you think bunnies can jump that?

Lola was in good shape! The bunny sitter had some trouble getting her into her cage, but she figured out not to feed her until it was time to go. Amazingly, Lola didn't even seem mad at us. She groomed my head when I first let her out. Because of how aloof she was to begin with, every time she grooms me or lets me pet her now it seems so much more significant!

The shelter has a 50% off bunny adoption thing going this week and it got me thinking- how do you go about finding friends for your rabbits? I assume that you need to make sure they won't kill each other before you adopt? How does that work? I can't think about getting another bunny until Lola's spayed and I have a nicer cage, but I'm just curious.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

dopaMEAN posted:

I'm thinking about getting a baby gate for my bedroom, since keeping the door shut all day leaves it really cold by bedtime. Would 23" be high enough, or do you think bunnies can jump that?

Depends on the rabbit. 23" is more than adequate for one of my big fatties; 48" is barely high enough for one of my agile little girls. You may just have to plan on replacing the first one if it's too small.

Make sure the gate you get doesn't have wide gaps between the slats that she can potentially stick her head through.

dopaMEAN posted:

The shelter has a 50% off bunny adoption thing going this week and it got me thinking- how do you go about finding friends for your rabbits? I assume that you need to make sure they won't kill each other before you adopt? How does that work? I can't think about getting another bunny until Lola's spayed and I have a nicer cage, but I'm just curious.

This is one situation where it may be better to go to a rabbit rescue than a local shelter - the rescue will probably have more experience bonding rabbits, and after interacting with Lola, should immediately be able to show you several potential matches who have complementary personalities. You typically need to schedule one or more dates with the new rabbit, and/or do some bonding exercises before you let them live together. There's a very good discussion on introductions here and I posted a detailed how-to for more difficult cases somewhere upthread.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

alucinor posted:

Depends on the rabbit. 23" is more than adequate for one of my big fatties; 48" is barely high enough for one of my agile little girls. You may just have to plan on replacing the first one if it's too small.

Make sure the gate you get doesn't have wide gaps between the slats that she can potentially stick her head through.

Also make sure the slats aren't just thin plastic- we went through 2 baby gates in a pretty short time because Bowser figured out she could just chew right through them. The ones with thick wire behind the plastic worked great, though.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Melicious posted:

Also make sure the slats aren't just thin plastic- we went through 2 baby gates in a pretty short time because Bowser figured out she could just chew right through them. The ones with thick wire behind the plastic worked great, though.

This is what I'm looking at: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002JETNS/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

So maybe thin plastic slats? It's really cheap though... I'll see what else I can find for a similar price.

Okay, looks like I found something more appropriate: http://www.amazon.com/North-States-Industries-4610-Supergate/dp/B0002JETOC/ref=pd_sim_ba_2
32 inches, with wire panel, rather than plastic.

dopaMEAN fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 30, 2010

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

dopaMEAN posted:

This is what I'm looking at: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002JETNS/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

So maybe thin plastic slats? It's really cheap though... I'll see what else I can find for a similar price.

Okay, looks like I found something more appropriate: http://www.amazon.com/North-States-Industries-4610-Supergate/dp/B0002JETOC/ref=pd_sim_ba_2
32 inches, with wire panel, rather than plastic.

Yeah, dont get the first one.

The second one is the one I used for years, and it was great. HOWEVER, be aware that it's a lot taller than most gates and can be really difficult to climb over if you're short (like me). It's also more difficult for a bunny to hop over, though, so there's that.

I used to have really good luck finding gates at garage sales- people don't have many places to get rid of them once their kids are older.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Cilantro wishes you and your buns a Floppy New Year!
please forgive the iPhone pic

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
What wire cubes do people use to make their rabbit pens?

Glasgow
Nov 7, 2009

dopaMEAN posted:

Lola was in good shape! The bunny sitter had some trouble getting her into her cage, but she figured out not to feed her until it was time to go. Amazingly, Lola didn't even seem mad at us. She groomed my head when I first let her out. Because of how aloof she was to begin with, every time she grooms me or lets me pet her now it seems so much more significant!

My shelter does "dates", where you can sit with your bunny and potential adoptees to see how they get along on first meeting. They're not gonna be best friends right away, but you can get a general idea.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Levitate posted:

What wire cubes do people use to make their rabbit pens?

These. As far as I know, the proper cubes are not sold anywhere anymore except walmart.com (NOT in walmart B&M stores). The proper cubes have 9 holes on a side per grid; you can see a comparison here. The "wrong" cubes now have a mix of grids, a few with 8 on a side (openings too big for pigs and some small rabbits), and most with 5 on a side (too big for most rabbits).

For this reason many of us have migrated exclusively to dog x pens like this.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Rabbits can twitch when they're sleeping, right? I know I'm being paranoid because my rabbit is having a snuffles flare up (I'm calling the vet in the morning)

edit: Some googling tells me it's normal.

Double edit: I just trimmed his head fluff and his entire disposition changed for the better. I'll never let his face grow out like that again.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 2, 2011

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

pseudonordic posted:

Cilantro wishes you and your buns a Floppy New Year!
please forgive the iPhone pic

I swear to God we really have the same rabbit.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

alucinor posted:

These. As far as I know, the proper cubes are not sold anywhere anymore except walmart.com (NOT in walmart B&M stores). The proper cubes have 9 holes on a side per grid; you can see a comparison here. The "wrong" cubes now have a mix of grids, a few with 8 on a side (openings too big for pigs and some small rabbits), and most with 5 on a side (too big for most rabbits).

For this reason many of us have migrated exclusively to dog x pens like this.

I was just about to ask where to find the cubes after looking for them everywhere today, guess I won't be getting them. I never saw anything like the pen in your post while I was out, so is the size you posted appropriate for 1-2 rabbits? Also, in looking for a cage bottom I thought of using the anti-fatigue mats as my rabbit won't slip around on them and they are waterproof. Good idea or should something else be used?

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Ghost of Castro posted:

I was just about to ask where to find the cubes after looking for them everywhere today, guess I won't be getting them. I never saw anything like the pen in your post while I was out, so is the size you posted appropriate for 1-2 rabbits? Also, in looking for a cage bottom I thought of using the anti-fatigue mats as my rabbit won't slip around on them and they are waterproof. Good idea or should something else be used?

Any pet store should have the dog x-pens, they just may not be out where you can see them easily, so just ask a salesperson. Yes, that size is 4'x4' which is perfect for two bunnies. Go taller if your bunnies are small and agile. I love these pens because they are configurable to multiple sizes and shapes - you can fold it small, down to 2'x4' during the day if you need the space, then open it up along a wall to enclose a good portion of the room at night to let them have more space to run around.

For flooring, if you can get coroplast, that's gonna be cheaper and easier to clean and replace than anything else. Check with FastSigns if there is one in your area, or google "wholesale sign supply Cityname Statename". You want a 4'x8' sheet of 4mm white, should be around $12 wholesale, maybe as much as $30 retail. It rolls up like a very fat poster so you should even be able to get it in the back of a small car like a corolla.

The anti-fatigue mats are very soft to the touch, which would make me worry that the bunnies would just chew holes in them. You can try this type of doormat; you can easily find 4'x6' and bigger, they are cheap enough that it won't hurt you to replace it when it gets chewed on; it's waterproof in case they pee on it, and it just hoses clean. All around win-win.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Foaming Chicken posted:

Rabbits can twitch when they're sleeping, right? I know I'm being paranoid because my rabbit is having a snuffles flare up (I'm calling the vet in the morning)

Apparently bunnies do the whole "dream while they're moving" thing just like cats do. If their feet twitch, they're dreaming about hopping. If you see their mouth wiggle, they're dreaming about eating. My husband insists this the ultimate in fatassery.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

Bean posted:

Apparently bunnies do the whole "dream while they're moving" thing just like cats do. If their feet twitch, they're dreaming about hopping. If you see their mouth wiggle, they're dreaming about eating. My husband insists this the ultimate in fatassery.

all my rabbits dream about is eating, apparently. That is obvious in Bitsy's case but Paterson. Hmm.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Bean posted:

Normally if I catch Lewis falling asleep it's slow and gradual. Today I saw hop to the far side of his pen and flop onto his side and it kind of freaked me out.

lovely picture because I was trying to be sneaky. That's his nose and mouth on the right. I haven't trimmed his body in a while so his limbs look like marshmallows and blend in with his undercarriage.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RICKON WALNUTSBANE fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 5, 2011

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

More bunneh pics!

Godewyn all flopped out

Eowyn sayin :whatup:

Both of them all smoooooshed

And a bonus: Kitteh wants to seep on that car's hood. :catdrugs:

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
Figured I'd drop this off here, too.

So after getting Morrighan we found out she needed to be spayed. Not so bad, right? Well, she tried to pull out the stitches. So we were forced to go the most hilarious route imaginable,

https://wi.somethingawful.com/40/405ef8c2e24a7950e15f5532e656411bd61af78f.jpg

Thankfully it hasn't changed how she honks at everything in anger how loving she truly is, and we are treated to some amazing bun-loafs!

https://wi.somethingawful.com/d1/d1a07ab0ccacb27483996c92d5c6c711ba21b703.jpg

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
So for Christmas, and since we were running out of food any way, Camille and Pepper have gotten their first big box of Kleemama bluegrass hay, upon reccomendation of this thread.

Bunnies have informed me that I can shove my new hay up my rear end. We've only been on the bluegrass for a day, but they're already trying to bust into the old orchard grass container to eat hay dust. :mad: Is there an adjustment time, or what?

Glasgow
Nov 7, 2009

Pandanaut posted:

Figured I'd drop this off here, too.

So after getting Morrighan we found out she needed to be spayed. Not so bad, right? Well, she tried to pull out the stitches. So we were forced to go the most hilarious route imaginable,

https://wi.somethingawful.com/40/405ef8c2e24a7950e15f5532e656411bd61af78f.jpg

Thankfully it hasn't changed how she honks at everything in anger how loving she truly is, and we are treated to some amazing bun-loafs!

https://wi.somethingawful.com/d1/d1a07ab0ccacb27483996c92d5c6c711ba21b703.jpg

Before PI, I never heard the term bunny-loaf (or cat-loaf.) The way Alice would sort of adjust herself before settling over her feet, we called it chicken-sittin'. I still prefer that term.

Btw, when I first saw your avatar, it looked like the panda had a bag on it's head and was flailing for air. Kinda disconcerting.

Bean posted:

So for Christmas, and since we were running out of food any way, Camille and Pepper have gotten their first big box of Kleemama bluegrass hay, upon reccomendation of this thread.

Bunnies have informed me that I can shove my new hay up my rear end. We've only been on the bluegrass for a day, but they're already trying to bust into the old orchard grass container to eat hay dust. Is there an adjustment time, or what?

I assume it's much like with other food, easiest if you go to a mix of 1/4 new food, 3/4 old, then half and half, then 3/4 and 1/4. Not sure if that works with hay, but I see no reason why not. I have the least picky bunnies in the world, though, so I may be off base.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Bean posted:

Bunnies have informed me that I can shove my new hay up my rear end. We've only been on the bluegrass for a day, but they're already trying to bust into the old orchard grass container to eat hay dust. :mad: Is there an adjustment time, or what?

:stare: I'm shocked. KM's BG is the poo poo. My guys will scale mountains for it.

I suppose there's probably an adjustment period, especially if they've never had any other type of hay. But drat guys. There's starving rabbits in wisconsin who would love that hay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

alucinor posted:

starving rabbits

Like there's any other kind.