Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Penfold the Brave posted:

I found something like this a couple of weeks ago, but instead of jumping down the shaft itself I activated the handle of the suspended container and jumped in as it was lowered into the mine. The result was John rolling around and twitching in the bottom of the container like he was having an epileptic fit, screaming incoherently all the way down. Then once it reached the bottom he got up and dusted himself off like nothing had happened. It was awesome.

He has darkness-activated PTSD. It has to come out somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
If being a real rancher is anything like herding cattle and breaking horses in this game, I've got a new respect for livestock farmers.

This is literally the most infuriating thing I've experienced in a game this side of IWBTG. I hate you so much, Bonnie. Kill yourself and then your cows.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
You have to position yourself well back and then keep moving in and out in a slow motion, think walk instead of run, if you want to make sure that you are shoving in the right direction.

If you rush about like an idiot losing sight of your objective and keep having to go back and re-establish control you are doing it wrong. Just make sure you have a good line of sight and know where you are moving towards and push on slowly.

That should help with Bonnie.

Can't offer any help with the herding or breaking horses though :D

Local Group Bus fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 24, 2010

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
The best thing to do when you break horses is to watch which way John is leaning. The game makes you think that you should watch the horse and lean the opposite way it bucks, but I find that it's much easier keeping an eye on John and tilting the stick to keep him as close to the middle as you can. It will probably take you a few tries to get a hang of it, but once you do, you'll probably break nearly every wild horse you see just to do it.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

If you hate the cattle that much just wait 'til near the end of the game. You can let a train kill them all.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Local Group Bus posted:

If you hate the cattle that much just wait 'til near the end of the game. You can let a train kill them all.

And let that useless bastard Uncle be right and get the upper hand? gently caress that :colbert:

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Walking around the desert looking for snakes is not fun, been doing it for hours and only found one. GOD-drat that stupid outfit challenge. Rattlesnake Hollow doesn't have any rattlesnakes! Anyone got any tips?

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Does time of day and weather make a difference? Snakes like the heat.

I'm not a completion freak with regards to this game for some reason. But I will happily spend hours baiting zombies and then sniping them from rooftops in undead.

Screw the costumes. As long as I have my duster for Texas and my Poncho for Mexico I'm all set.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

BisonDollah posted:

Walking around the desert looking for snakes is not fun, been doing it for hours and only found one. GOD-drat that stupid outfit challenge. Rattlesnake Hollow doesn't have any rattlesnakes! Anyone got any tips?

West Elizabeth, right near Blackwater, southmost road. Check the sides of the road and look for anything 'strange' in the grass. Mid morning/early Afternoon are the best times.

Local Group Bus posted:

You have to position yourself well back and then keep moving in and out in a slow motion, think walk instead of run, if you want to make sure that you are shoving in the right direction.

If you rush about like an idiot losing sight of your objective and keep having to go back and re-establish control you are doing it wrong. Just make sure you have a good line of sight and know where you are moving towards and push on slowly.

That should help with Bonnie.

Can't offer any help with the herding or breaking horses though :D

The best way to move cattle is to get behind them while your horse is trotting and steer them that way. You want them to go to the left? Go to the right and the cows will go that way. Vice versa as well. You want them to move faster? Whistle and you'll make them run. Time and patience. You can pick up the stragglers after you get the mass of the group going in the right direction.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Cheezymadman posted:

If being a real rancher is anything like herding cattle and breaking horses in this game, I've got a new respect for livestock farmers.

This is literally the most infuriating thing I've experienced in a game this side of IWBTG. I hate you so much, Bonnie. Kill yourself and then your cows.

For breaking horses, all you have to do is just quickly rotate the stick around in a circle. You literally don't even have to watch the screen.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

BisonDollah posted:

Get off of your horse and walk around for a while, they're all over the loving place. Either that or turn up your speakers; you can hear their rattle really far away.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

fennesz posted:

Get off of your horse and walk around for a while, they're all over the loving place. Either that or turn up your speakers; you can hear their rattle really far away.

Your horse is a very good snake detector too.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Howard Beale posted:

Your horse is a very good snake detector too.

Set the aiming for casual and occasionally unholster your gun. You'll find them soon enough.

Horseticuffs
Oct 8, 2001

I remember halloween.
So, I loved RDR to death but having a lovely connection with strict bandwidth limits I can not play it online nor spare the bandwidth to download the "Undead nightmare" expansion.

My wife is looking for one last small gift for me for Christmas and I'm debating between the Undead Nightmare disc or Assassin's Creed 2.

Would you who have played Undead Nightmare say it would be worth $25 for the single-player content alone ? I put over 40 hours into RDR's campaign between the story and loving around. Is it practical to expect near that amount of value from UN between the new challenges/random events/new gothic setting loving around potential ?

It looks really neat but everything I've read says that you'll get about 6 hours out of it. Reasonable for DLC with multiplayer potential, but how about in my unique situation of a lovely satellite connection with NO MP potential ? Anyone out there squeezed out over 20 hours into UN ? I'd REALLY like something to last me until Dead Space 2.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Horseticuffs posted:

So, I loved RDR to death but having a lovely connection with strict bandwidth limits I can not play it online nor spare the bandwidth to download the "Undead nightmare" expansion.

My wife is looking for one last small gift for me for Christmas and I'm debating between the Undead Nightmare disc or Assassin's Creed 2.

Would you who have played Undead Nightmare say it would be worth $25 for the single-player content alone ? I put over 40 hours into RDR's campaign between the story and loving around. Is it practical to expect near that amount of value from UN between the new challenges/random events/new gothic setting loving around potential ?

It looks really neat but everything I've read says that you'll get about 6 hours out of it. Reasonable for DLC with multiplayer potential, but how about in my unique situation of a lovely satellite connection with NO MP potential ? Anyone out there squeezed out over 20 hours into UN ? I'd REALLY like something to last me until Dead Space 2.

I've played both and I'd say that if you want something with over 20 hours of gameplay you should get Assassin's Creed 2 which should last you anywhere between 20-25 hours if you want 100%.

Undead Nightmare is good for u$10 DLC, but I wouldn't recommend it for anything over that. The combat remains the same until the end and the different enemy types do little to vary up the gameplay. The campaign is 6 hours long if you only focus on the quests and probably 10-13 if you really want to do the grinding sidequests.
Assassin's Creed 2 gets repetitive near the end, but it's not anywhere near as bad as Undead Nightmare.

Horseticuffs
Oct 8, 2001

I remember halloween.

GUI posted:

I've played both and I'd say that if you want something with over 20 hours of gameplay you should get Assassin's Creed 2 which should last you anywhere between 20-25 hours if you want 100%.

Undead Nightmare is good for u$10 DLC, but I wouldn't recommend it for anything over that. The combat remains the same until the end and the different enemy types do little to vary up the gameplay. The campaign is 6 hours long if you only focus on the quests and probably 10-13 if you really want to do the grinding sidequests.
Assassin's Creed 2 gets repetitive near the end, but it's not anywhere near as bad as Undead Nightmare.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't care for AC1 but I hear AC2 and AC:B are TOTALLY different and way awesome so I figure I should give the series another go. I'm a history nut and feel ashamed that I haven't bought these two games already.

I suppose along with all this Single-player gaming I'm doing I should lay off the youtube and let my rolling bandwidth allotment cool down for a few weeks and then grab UN for the more reasonable :10bux:

Thanks again for the advice !

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Yeah, get AC2. As said you'll get much more of an experience out of it. AC:B was my game of the year and it rarely left my console. Also we'll have another Assassins Creed next year so you need to be all caught up.

Undead isn't going anywhere and with the time invested in the AC games you'll not be hitting youtube as much and your quota will be ready for the download.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
How do I hold the lasso on people? I'm sitting on my horse, and I wanted to drag someone down the main street in Armadillo, but when I lasso them, it lets go of them automagically. I've tried holding R1 and R2, to no avail.

EDIT: It seems L2 is the magic button. Though I'm disappointed in how slow it forces you to go. My horse can pull a wagon, it can't drag a nun at top speed?

Cheezymadman fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 24, 2010

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Here's a truism for you: Nuns don't have wheels.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
On an unrelated note, I'm glad I finally met Irish. It's hard to imagine this as Deadwood: The Game without someone saying oval office.

Cheezymadman fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 24, 2010

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Horseticuffs posted:

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't care for AC1 but I hear AC2 and AC:B are TOTALLY different and way awesome...

To play devils advocate (sorta)...

They're not TOTALLY different, it's the same game, just the refinements to the story and missions make it so you don't do 5 missions and want to kill yourself. If you didn't enjoy the gameplay of Assassins Creed 1 though you probably won't enjoy the 2nds either. The game is very awesome and fun though. I got it last year on release and absolutely hated it, but after hearing everyone love AC:Bro I decided to pick up AC2 again on Xbox and power through it. Once you get past the boring intro parts the game picks up and becomes mind blowingly awesome.

Just don't go in expecting a GTA 2 to GTA 3 difference though. It's more of a Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2 difference, combat / play wise.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

BisonDollah posted:

My favorite RDR memory involves snakes. I was doing the arm wrestling at the work camp in Mexico. There were three guys lined up when I started. I beat the first two guys, and suddenly it ended. John got up out of his chair, and I saw the third guy was lying there dead, with a very angry snake sitting right by him.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Same place, but it was even more comical. I'd just got the white stallion for the camp boss so that he'd let the Chinese dude out of his contract. You're free, Zhou! He takes his first two steps of freedom, right onto a snake, and dies.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I probably just added an extra 3 hours of game after I tried to find War's horse after my Pestilence bugged out and vanished. :(

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Horseticuffs posted:

Assassin's Creed 2 was the best game I played last year. Not to poo poo on the game in its own thread, but RDR barely made my top ten this year. I 100% completed AC2, which took me around 55 hours. I'm really OCD about most of my sandbox games though, and I'm probably a lot slower than most people.

Actually, if you're looking for a more "shooty" sandbox game, Just Cause 2 can be found for around $20 and is another amazing game. I enjoyed it much more than RDR -- inferior story and voice acting, but everything else gameplay-wise appealed to me a lot more.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood is pretty sweet, I love starting fights with patrols. Especially by throwing sand in someone's eyes and following up with a chokeslam :bahgawd:

Both are excellent games, and I love Undead Nightmare. You really can't go wrong either way :shobon:

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

I haven't played assassin's creed (any of them) But that is a full game. UN is just an expansion. Fun as it is, it's short, and not at all a full experience. Go Creed, I'd say.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

WhiteHowler posted:

Assassin's Creed 2 was the best game I played last year. Not to poo poo on the game in its own thread, but RDR barely made my top ten this year. I 100% completed AC2, which took me around 55 hours. I'm really OCD about most of my sandbox games though, and I'm probably a lot slower than most people.

Not saying this to be a dick at all and I know it will probably come across as such, but how did you even find yourself in this thread to answer that question if RDR barely made your top ten?

Maybe I'm being a little touchy since RDR is probably my favorite game of all time, ha.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

Assassin's Creed 2 was the best game I played last year. Not to poo poo on the game in its own thread, but RDR barely made my top ten this year.

Your childhood must have been a lonely, barren experience. Alright, I guess pretending you're an assassin when you're 10 isn't all bad. But come on man cowboys!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Sco Dylan posted:

Not saying this to be a dick at all and I know it will probably come across as such, but how did you even find yourself in this thread to answer that question if RDR barely made your top ten?
I promise I didn't come in to troll. I just finished the RDR single-player campaign yesterday and was browsing the thread to see if there was anything I missed. Honestly, the game probably was in my top ten of the year, but I didn't love it as much as most other people seem to.

I appreciate RDR's setting, storyline, voice acting, and production values... But a lot of the design decisions seemed really backwards to me. A lot like GTA4, actually -- I loved the narrative, but it felt so cumbersome to actually play. I especially hated the weapon selection system, and the aiming felt really sluggish and inaccurate (possibly intentional, since we're talking about 1910's weapons here). About halfway through I turned on Casual aiming just because I wanted to experience the rest of the story with as little hassle as possible.

I think my problem is that I played RDR immediately after Just Cause 2, and it was impossible not to draw a lot of comparisons. JC2's story was crap, but goddamn it was some of the most retardedly fun gameplay experiences ever, and the JC2 devs absolutely nailed their control scheme. The same thing happened last year; I played Batman: Arkham Asylum right after AC2 (both similar games in many ways), and it felt like I was taking a huge step backward.

Anyway, I'm definitely not telling anyone they shouldn't like RDR. It just wasn't quite my style, and since someone asked about other sandbox-y action games, Assassin's Creed and Just Cause 2 are both pretty good too.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just beat Red Dead Redemption. I have never downloaded a DLC, and I absolutely hate the zombie craze going on right now, but I am going to download Undead Nightmare as soon as I can.

Question: Where do I find Ross's wife? The federal agent told me where, but I don't know where on the map it was and have forgotten by now. None of the FAQs seem to have it either.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Detective No. 27 posted:

Question: Where do I find Ross's wife? The federal agent told me where, but I don't know where on the map it was and have forgotten by now. None of the FAQs seem to have it either.

The little house on the south shore of Lake Don Julio, the place Irish first sends you

surrender903
Dec 22, 2006
U2 Fan
Pillbug
So the deal with cheats is that you cannot save a game with them on? Or is auto save/trophies disabled.

HatSmack
Jan 28, 2009

surrender903 posted:

So the deal with cheats is that you cannot save a game with them on? Or is auto save/trophies disabled.

Autosave and trophies are disabled.

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
This may have been asked somewhere in here but I couldn't find it in the OP or browsing through a few pages so...

Is there a way to play free-roam online in Undead Nightmare mode? Me and a friend both have the UN disk but MP always puts us in the regular setting and the only option I can find is a single undead survival game mode.

I was really hoping to run around hunting monsters and poo poo online, is there something I'm missing?

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

West Elizabeth, right near Blackwater, southmost road. Check the sides of the road and look for anything 'strange' in the grass. Mid morning/early Afternoon are the best times.

Couldn't see a snake for the life of me until I tried this & the place was hoaching with them! This place was like the New York/London of hunting, wolves were hunting beavers, snakes were biting foxes, hunters were killing boars & cougers were all over the place. Thank you kindly, I wear a Coonskin Hat now. Coonskin Hats are cool.

Anyone else looking for more details I started at 8:00am, strayed a little off the beaten path, sat on my horse for a better vantage point and any time the horse made a nervous noise a snake was pretty close. Auto-aim is also a good tip.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Ghastric posted:

This may have been asked somewhere in here but I couldn't find it in the OP or browsing through a few pages so...

Is there a way to play free-roam online in Undead Nightmare mode? Me and a friend both have the UN disk but MP always puts us in the regular setting and the only option I can find is a single undead survival game mode.

I was really hoping to run around hunting monsters and poo poo online, is there something I'm missing?

Not yet, but a lot of people have been hoping for an undead free roam. Write rockstar and ask - couldn't hurt.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

isk posted:

The little house on the south shore of Lake Don Julio, the place Irish first sends you

That's a different house, actually, but same area.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

BisonDollah posted:

Couldn't see a snake for the life of me until I tried this & the place was hoaching with them! This place was like the New York/London of hunting, wolves were hunting beavers, snakes were biting foxes, hunters were killing boars & cougers were all over the place. Thank you kindly, I wear a Coonskin Hat now. Coonskin Hats are cool.

Anyone else looking for more details I started at 8:00am, strayed a little off the beaten path, sat on my horse for a better vantage point and any time the horse made a nervous noise a snake was pretty close. Auto-aim is also a good tip.

That's probably one of the best spots to get beaver as well. That and one of the slopes near Bearclaw Camp around early, early morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

That's probably one of the best spots to get beaver as well.

Armadillo Saloon has something to say about that claim.

• Locked thread