Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Monday Averted posted:

I created a few banners for each city for when I create each city's summary for my game's forum. Posting them here in case anyone wants em:

Definitely using those in my upcoming Dark Sun campaign! Thank you!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
Do you work for the Tablelands Tourism Board or something?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Monday Averted posted:

I created a few banners for each city for when I create each city's summary for my game's forum. Posting them here in case anyone wants em:

These are awesome. Good work.

Monday Averted
Jun 12, 2010
I'm still scratching my head about Gulg. All the GIS attempts I've done have yielded not one picture I am even partially considering. Suggestions welcome!

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
It will be hard to find a real-world version of "giant tree house".

Theres apparently some island tribes that build them. Or just settle for land-bound.

Monday Averted
Jun 12, 2010
The idea to search for "giant tree house" and variants kinda paid off. I found some crazy concrete tree house restaurant in Okinawa that looked really cool, I did a bit of editing and still not too convinced:

I have ninja-added it in my previous post with all the other banners as well.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
Considered using Finca Bellavista as a model?

A bit modern in places, but it might have potential.

Monday Averted
Jun 12, 2010
Yeah! I did actually consider it. It was precisely that it looked a bit clean and modern that dissuaded me. I will maybe create one with it too and then compare them and see which one I like better.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I googled "Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse" and found some possible pictures. None of them are very "African", but they're a little less modern then the previous ones:

Click here for the full 480x640 image.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Monday Averted
Jun 12, 2010
I've been playing with them a bit, and came with two using one of the pictures:

And this applying a darker sky, as I wasn't too convinced in the clear white sky:

I like either better than the original I had posted, but still not sure which one I want to stick with.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

Monday Averted posted:

I have to say this one loooks perfect in my opinion.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So my very close ladyfriend who happens to also work at a comic book store told me they got in a new Dark Sun comic today. I told her to buy one for me. I'll give a report on it when I finally read it.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

I'm coming up with a character for a Dark Sun campaign, a Thri Kreen Runepriest. I like the idea since it's the only divine class that would work in Dark Sun without reflavoring, but I'm having trouble figuring out how he managed to discover runes in the first place. Anyone have any ideas?

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

-Fish- posted:

I'm coming up with a character for a Dark Sun campaign, a Thri Kreen Runepriest. I like the idea since it's the only divine class that would work in Dark Sun without reflavoring, but I'm having trouble figuring out how he managed to discover runes in the first place. Anyone have any ideas?

Here's what 2e had to say about it:

Thri-Kreen of Athas posted:

Writing
Thri-kreen in the Tyr Region generally do not write in their own language, though a few earn to use human lettering. Non-kreen letters are insufficient to express the sounds of the thri-kreen language.
In the North, however, tohr-kreen and thri-kreen use a form of lettering. The tohr-kreen writing is syllabic; in other words, each symbol stands for a certain syllable. Though it has more than 100 basic symbols, this writing system, used for the composite language of the thri-kreen, can compress a lot of information into a comparatively small space.
To most non-kreen, written kreen looks like a series of random slash marks. A thri-kreen who sees written kreen is instinctively able to read it, due to racial memory, if a successful Intelligence check is made. The writing can be learned formally by studying with a mentor, or by practicing with accessing racial memory. In either case, the thri-kreen must spend a proficiency slot to learn how to write the kreen syllabary (see Proficiencies in Chapter Three).
The emphasis is mine, but it sounds like a way to go. Maybe your character spent a bit too much time drifting through his or her racial memories and awoke with odd powers... such as being able to read at all.

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!
Can anyone with an Insider account say whether or not Revenge of the Marauders looks any good? Don't know if I want to subscribe for just that adventure unless it's decent length and has something interesting about it other than the usual "There are this many monsters in this room and there are this many monsters in the next room".

Also, my group just downed the Red Chord last night. Got a good laugh as our Rogue, standing over their battered bodies, cooly says "Looks like this chord... has just been cut".

Without missing a beat the fighter yells YEEEAAAHHH. Great game.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex

Dump_Stat posted:

Can anyone with an Insider account say whether or not Revenge of the Marauders looks any good?

The set up is good and the concept of a stealth infiltration on a huge moving fortress is excellent. It needs a couple encounters removed to keep it from feeling like a dungeon crawl when it's supposed to be a tense, smash n' grab. You'll probably need a couple of narrative tools on hand to 'discourage' the party from trying to take on the enitre fortress.

If you can find a way to make sneaking onto a keep on top of a giant skeleton turtle thing more immersive than the long skill challenge presented I think your players will have a blast.

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!

Not Keyser Soze posted:

The set up is good and the concept of a stealth infiltration on a huge moving fortress is excellent. It needs a couple encounters removed to keep it from feeling like a dungeon crawl when it's supposed to be a tense, smash n' grab. You'll probably need a couple of narrative tools on hand to 'discourage' the party from trying to take on the enitre fortress.

If you can find a way to make sneaking onto a keep on top of a giant skeleton turtle thing more immersive than the long skill challenge presented I think your players will have a blast.

I'm a sucker and subscribed. You pretty much echoed my thoughts on the adventure to the "T".

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

alright, post the Athasiest short stories/movies/music u got so I can get my players ready for Dark Sun. I had them read a Conan story, they've all seen Conan/Mad Max and read/seen Dune. Anything obvious I missed?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

If your campaign is going to have anything to do with Gulg, have them watch Apocalypto. The fights from Gladiator would also be good if you plan to have gladiatorial combat play a strong part.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
Regarding music, I use a combination of the below for atmosphere:
Passion of the Christ soundtrack (minus some of the 80's peter gabriel stuff)
District 9 soundtrack
Azim Ali
those 2 or 3 songs that Hans Zimmer gives different names for every movie he's ever composed for
The God of War music is often appropriate but expect to get it stuck in your head like nothing else.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Balic or Gladiator campaign = Watch Spartacus on Netflix.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

ritorix posted:

Balic campaign = Watch Rome on Netflix.

Do this.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Though pretty pulpy overall, Burroughs' A Princess of Mars is pretty good for "dying Earth" imagery as Mars is a nearly barren desert dotted with ancient ruins and filled with horrible monsters. It's a quick read and free on Gutenberg.

Tell them to ignore the guns and airships.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ManMythLegend posted:

Though pretty pulpy overall, Burroughs' A Princess of Mars is pretty good for "dying Earth" imagery as Mars is a nearly barren desert dotted with ancient ruins and filled with horrible monsters. It's a quick read and free on Gutenberg.

Tell them to ignore the guns and airships.

It's supposed to be coming out as an animated film in a few years, too.

It's probably the closest thing we'll ever get to a Dark Sun film.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

It's supposed to be coming out as an animated film in a few years, too.

Not animated, though it's being directed by Pixar's Andrew Stanton (director of WALL·E) who is making his live-action directorial debut. March 9, 2012 and look at this cast list. Also, everyone should read the first three ... Of Mars books (Princess, Gods and Warlords) because they are loving awesome.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I assumed it'd be animated since a Pixer-affiliate was involved.

Live action makes me even more interested in the project.

I don't think there even was a cast list the last time I read about it...

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Besides their very Athasian trappings--including Green Martians, the obvious inspiration for Dark Sun's thri-kreen--the first three Mars books are especially relevant to Dark Sun as a thing-to-play-D&D-with: John Carter begins his Martian adventure literally naked in the wastes, and through a series of encounters with discrete problems--often resolved with his exceptional martial prowess, and sometimes with his mild psychic talents--rises to the highest positions of temporal power, respect, and influence. It's a first-level-through-epic progression.

The setting also runs on this idea that it takes an innately great man to achieve anything of note, with all others assisting or being inspired by this superior figure. John Carter individually redefines the entire world of Mars. Replace the singular John Carter with the whole party of PCs, and you have pretty good D&D logic (and even better Dark Sun logic). Almost every other named character is also a cut above their peers, representing either a major and highly-skilled ally of John's or a particularly effective challenge to his goals. You don't see a lot of guys who are just middling-competent, friendly tradespeople or pleasant neighbors that John talks to regularly. You get nameless or once-named mooks, memorable NPC allies, and people who act as centerpieces for (what in D&D would be) XP-generating encounters. The books are breezy reads, short in length, and available in the Kindle store for free.

If you're up for spending money and trying denser, much longer reads, it is literally impossible to go wrong reading the Book of the New Sun novels by Gene Wolfe. They don't have much in common with Dark Sun in their practical details (with a lot more complex technology, potable water, time-travel, etc.), but they are 100% perfect for conveying the feel of a world run-down to its last days, filled with things unknown because so much has been forgotten. People scrape together livings however they can, usually involving long series of morally unsound actions that you nonetheless completely understand. The main character especially does uncountable reprehensible things (many of which aren't even contextually justifiable, like when he becomes a raping rapist who rapes), but still comes through as someone you kind of like. You also get to see him start at "level 1" and go all the way up to epic. Amazing set of books, if you're able to commit the time to them.

Edit: :goonsay:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

rantmo posted:

Not animated, though it's being directed by Pixar's Andrew Stanton (director of WALL·E) who is making his live-action directorial debut. March 9, 2012 and look at this cast list. Also, everyone should read the first three ... Of Mars books (Princess, Gods and Warlords) because they are loving awesome.

And the screenplay was written by Michael Chabon, who is the single best novelist in contemporary American fiction.

On that note, his Gentlemen of the Road is an excellent 'sword and sandals' novel and would also make good preliminary reading for Dark Sun players and DMs. After reading it, your group will probably argue over who gets to base their character on Zelikman or Amran.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Started my Dark Sun campaign "Hidden Oasis" on Monday.

The PCs all begin as friends that have, through one way or another, found their way to a hidden oasis village called Jais'Na. This hidden community features likely one of the last large, pristine lakes on all of Athas. Generations of peaceful farmers, crafters, and traders have thrived in this secret community. Protected by the Everstorm, an endless sandstorm that surrounds the oasis that requires days on end to pass, the villagers of Jais'Na have found equilibrium with their distant neighboring cities and villages by exporting their chief natural resource: water. Traders learned to navigate the Everstorm and come back via the use of special "feyflies", luminescent insects that inhabit the lake and always fly in the direction of home if ever removed.

Two years ago, the neighboring city of Kri'Tol silently changed hands in leadership, handing over the title of mayor to an elf who goes by the name of The Justicar among the people. Wealthy by Athas standards, he rules his people by owning the military. His namesake is one of irony, as all common streetknowledge knows of his corrupt policies and backstabbing tendencies.

In recent months, traders and exporters from Jais'Na have been coming back empty-handed. Grappling with amnesia after each return voyage, all are unable to recall what happened to the exported water after returning home. The many farmers and villagers of Jais'Na believe that the recent happenings will pass just as the seasons do each year. It seems only the PCs have the courage to venture outside their paradise home to do what is necessary to protect that which they hold most dear.

Good foundation for an adventure? I was a little worried about starting off a Dark Sun campaign in "paradise" but it gives me the chance to really set the tone once the heroes learn that nothing lasts forever.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

PeterWeller posted:

And the screenplay was written by Michael Chabon, who is the single best novelist in contemporary American fiction.

On that note, his Gentlemen of the Road is an excellent 'sword and sandals' novel and would also make good preliminary reading for Dark Sun players and DMs. After reading it, your group will probably argue over who gets to base their character on Zelikman or Amran.

You and I should hang out, forever.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

:hfive: Chabon bro!

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

PeterWeller posted:

:hfive: Chabon bro!

Hey I want in on this action too! I like Chabon!

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Well then :hfive: to you!

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
Kavalier & Clay's been on my shelf for a year but I keep reading anything else (in my defense, the Anthony Yu translation of Journey to the West is awesome and takes forever to read). I feel so left out :(

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

You need to read it. Start on it tonight. You will love it.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > TG Discussion > The Dark Sun Chabon Wagon (Stephenie Meyer Likes Dragonlance)

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Squizzle posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > TG Discussion > The Dark Sun Chabon Wagon (Stephenie Meyer Likes Dragonlance)

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > TG Discussion > Dark Sun Presents the Edgar Rice Burroughs Own Zone (Tolkien Likes Dragonlance)

:colbert:

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 3, 2011

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

That's a weird way to spell Robert E. Howard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

So getting a whole new city-state and sorcerer-king is less worth discussing than the awesomeness of Chabon. :v:

• Locked thread