Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Saga posted:

Honda Rebel.

:)

Assuming this isn't a joke that's going over my head, a Honda Rebel is WAYYY to small for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I realized I confused myself about the KLX, there was also one which is a 400e and that is the better one. I have these options near me as well

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/2103477127.html
from the owner " I bought the bike in 2007 and have only put about 2K miles on it. I have definately had my share of falls on it, it has been ridden like a dirt bike so it does have your normal scratches and wear for a 5 year old bike. No problems with the bike currently, I just recently got the brand new battery for it because the old one crapped out on me while riding at Uwharrie, luckily I had installed the kick start kit which saved me. I actually have the knobby tires on it again but with those tires i want to get $2800, or i can switch them back out for the stock trailwings and do $2750."
-Price seems high on this one compared to the others, if I could talk him down maybe...edit not sure the value his mods have, and I certainly have to put an extended tank on it

http://eastnc.craigslist.org/mcy/2121843031.html
From the owner "no mods., all stock engine+exhaust, does have extended gas tank, don't have anymore pics, but your welcome to come and look at bike"
-I think my friend and I are going to look at this bike this afternoon if anyone has any comments or things I should make sure I look at closely.

Both of these are like 20 minutes from my house, newer than that KLX, and the second one is cheaper.

I would love to buy the 400e and make it street legal, but I am unsure as to how easy that is in North Carolina. That would be option one if I was 100% sure it could be done

infraboy, the SV650 is the other bike I am considering, but I can always get one this summer if I want, right now I know I want to ride through the woods.

thanks everyone!

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 23, 2010

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Doctor Zero posted:

Assuming this isn't a joke that's going over my head, a Honda Rebel is WAYYY to small for him.

I disagree. I had a GZ250 for many months and even did highway time on it (windshield helped a bunch). And I'm as tall as and weigh more than him.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Pvt. Public posted:

I disagree. I had a GZ250 for many months and even did highway time on it (windshield helped a bunch). And I'm as tall as and weigh more than him.

Counterpoint: I'm 6'2". I took the MSF on an actual Rebel and I had to sit on the passenger seat to turn or else the handlebars would hit my knees.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

Counterpoint: I'm 6'2". I took the MSF on an actual Rebel and I had to sit on the passenger seat to turn or else the handlebars would hit my knees.

drat, that's odd. I have slightly short legs, but not that short. Now I don't know what the gently caress because the ergos of those two bikes should be pretty drat close, yeah?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
I believe the Honda Rebel is the apotheosis of the Harley Davidson ethos. It is truly the ultimate chopper.

Faster than an 883 sportster, better handling than an XR1200 Hedge-hunter, better finished than a softtail, more reliable than a Durex Ultraglide. For the true Harley lover, there is no other bike.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

Pvt. Public posted:

drat, that's odd. I have slightly short legs, but not that short. Now I don't know what the gently caress because the ergos of those two bikes should be pretty drat close, yeah?

I rode a rebel 250 my dad owned for a few weeks and then I did my MSF on a GZ250. They are supremely different animals. I'm 5'10" and I felt really cramped on the rebel, whereas I looooved the GZ, it was so comfortable and everything just fit me well.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Rontalvos posted:

I rode a rebel 250 my dad owned for a few weeks and then I did my MSF on a GZ250. They are supremely different animals. I'm 5'10" and I felt really cramped on the rebel, whereas I looooved the GZ, it was so comfortable and everything just fit me well.

Well then, consider me schooled. I always assumed they were pretty close to the same, but I guess I've never actually say on a Rebel now that I think about it. I have to find out now.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Can anyone tell me about this bike vs those DRZ 400's I posted? http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/2110117037.html

"I have a 2000 KTM 400cc liquid cooled dual sport with very low miles (1100) This bike runs and looks like new I have clean title save some $ on gas no trades " $2400

Should I be concerned about the low miles? Will it require a lot more maintenance and stuff?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
From my understanding, and I'll disclaimer this as second hand info, the LC4 is a 'low maintenance' engine. I didn't know they made a 400cc version of it though.

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005
Does an ~8 year hiatus from riding counts as starting all over again? After an ill-fated encounter between my VFR800 and an Izuzu Trooper, I lost interest in riding. But I relocated to Los Angeles, and the 75 degree December days have re-ignited my interest.

Now I'm debating if I should be starting again with a 'beginner' bike, or if my previous experience qualifies me to jump back on something a little bigger. The sensible part of me says "there's no downside to picking up a used 250". Then, the not so sensible part of me says "we're older, more mature, and have experience. And all those Ducatis sure look pretty!". Maybe splitting the difference with something like a Monster 696 makes sense?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Ribsauce posted:

Can anyone tell me about this bike vs those DRZ 400's I posted? http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/2110117037.html

"I have a 2000 KTM 400cc liquid cooled dual sport with very low miles (1100) This bike runs and looks like new I have clean title save some $ on gas no trades " $2400

Should I be concerned about the low miles? Will it require a lot more maintenance and stuff?

Ex Duke II owner here. The LC4s had a main bearing problem and are vibey engines. The 400 is apparently heavier than the DR-Z, and you're looking at a much more obscure machine that will be harder to find parts for. If the KTM dealer network in the carolinas is as bad as it is in the UK...buying one means you get to deal with a KTM dealer.

Don't know about the DR-Z, but valve clearance intervals on the LC4 640 are 3,100 miles. Unless you're happy doing these yourself and/or have a KTM dealer on your doorstep, this could make it a PITA for a daily rider. If it uses the same oil in the frame design as the 640, oil changes are at least time consuming and possibly unpleasant and messy compared to a single filter, oil in sump design.

Out of those two, I'd go for the DR-Z in case you hadn't guessed.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

wilkenm posted:

Does an ~8 year hiatus from riding counts as starting all over again? After an ill-fated encounter between my VFR800 and an Izuzu Trooper, I lost interest in riding. But I relocated to Los Angeles, and the 75 degree December days have re-ignited my interest.

Now I'm debating if I should be starting again with a 'beginner' bike, or if my previous experience qualifies me to jump back on something a little bigger. The sensible part of me says "there's no downside to picking up a used 250". Then, the not so sensible part of me says "we're older, more mature, and have experience. And all those Ducatis sure look pretty!". Maybe splitting the difference with something like a Monster 696 makes sense?

I would say the Ducati would be fine. It puts out less than 70 hp, which is on par with the Suzuki SV650 which some people recommend as a beginner bike. Speaking of the SV if you go with that you will be able to upgrade the bike over time to make it grow with you. But yes, those Ducatis ARE pretty.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Maintenance on the LC4 is kinda a bitch, I'd want the 690 engine or a drz instead.

wilkenm posted:

An SV or a Monster would be a totally fine renetry bike. Buy used just in case you realize you want something else.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Alright, thanks fellas. Figured I'd ask since it was nearby and the same price as those DRZs (which don't reply :( ) but I will pass then.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Just chiming in to say that LC4 maintenance is not a big deal for me so far. Oil change takes me an hour but is not messy as I do it carefully. Valve check/adjust takes as much as time as the oil change because the valves are easy to get at and don't use shims. So a couple hours maintenance every 3,000 miles is hardly something to not buy a bike over. Also, the KTM comes with more performance bits on it than the DRZ - better brakes, better suspension, more powah. I'm glad I picked my KTM over the DRZ but can understand those who want to opt for the DRZ.

And the vibration is not a bother to me but maybe I'm just incredibly laid back and not picky? I came straight from an inline 4 to the KTM thumper and it just isn't an issue, long trips, short trips, whatever.

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 26, 2010

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I read the vibration is supposedly a lot worse on the LC4 640 than the LC4 400. Which one do you have Fuzzy?

If the KTM is a better performing bike and the maintenance is not really any worse, then I will still consider it. I am going to look at it anyway once all this snow goes away. Terrible timing on the snow, I had it set up to go look at like 5 bikes today but it snowed like 7 inches here in Raleigh, which being in the south makes it effectively 9 feet.

edit

I posted in the local thread on ADV rider asking for advice about what to get and one guy recommended that KTM and 3 people said look at a smaller bike for my first trail bike, like a KLX250, TTR225, etc

How do you guys feel about that?

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 26, 2010

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
So I had my heart pretty much set on getting a new body style Ninja 250 but now I'm not so sure. I have $4000 to spend and looking at CL I've seen like ~05 ZX6R's and CBR 600s for around the same price. I have had extensive time riding dirt trails with smaller machines (klx 110,CRF 100, etc) in the past, but my only recent street time was just riding my friends drz 400 around the block and that seemed fine. Would I be ok starting off with a bit older 600, or should I still stay with the 250?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Did you like the drz? If you did, check out the drz sm. If not I'd go for a new style ninja in your case, newer bike, less to worry about and you'll have plenty left over to get some nice gear. Besides 05 isn't really an "older" super sport by any means.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Yeah the DRZ was cool, more what I was used to. I really want a sport bike though. I am just afraid a 600 would be too much to start with, even if its a little older. I guess the 250 is the smarter option, less to worry about, and when I sat on one at the dealer the ergo's seemed pretty good for a sport bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Have you considered something like the sv650, er6i, or the sport touring 600s? (fz6, Honda 599, etc)

Woofington
Jul 23, 2010

by T. Finn
OK guys, this might be a bit long, and I apologize.

I have wanted a bike for the longest time. Originally I was going to get a street bike, since then things have changed. I am looking in at a dirt bike right now. On craigslist I can find a fair amount bikes for sale for fairly cheap.

However I drive a honda fit... How would I be able to get my bike anywhere in that tiny little car? I was planning on getting a fairly small bike, but still, I have no idea how I will possibly take it anywhere.

Also how much gear is required for dirt riding? I plan on doing some rather tame dirt riding, at first anyway, just some cool fun trails to ride along, nothing insane. Obviously the helmet is a must but what else is considered mandatory for dirt?

Thanks in advance guys, you all know your stuff here!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't see why, mechanically, you couldn't mount a trailer hitch to the Fit and get a small lightweight trailer. I know North American insurance companies jump all over you if you do that with a small car, though.

Have you considered getting a lightweight (250-400CC) DS bike? That way, you don't have to trailer it over the road, and you'd still have something that works decently offroad.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008

Z3n posted:

Have you considered something like the sv650, er6i, or the sport touring 600s? (fz6, Honda 599, etc)

I would be open to an SV650 and an er6n, but they just don't come up very often it seems (seattle)

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Hopefully picking this up tomorrow :woop: Unfortunately there's not too much room for bargaining due to the fact that he just put a Devil exhaust and some Pirelli Corsa IIIs on it for whatever reason... Why would you buy new parts if you're trying to sell it?

Triumph675.net posted:

2007 Triumph Daytona 675
Color: Scorched yellow
Mileagle: 9,300
Clean title

$5200 OBO

Bikez light slim HID kit
Ride correction plates – stock height (will also include stock plates)
Triumph Daytona 650 mirrors (you can see past your elbows!)
Pazzo shorty levers black w/gold adjuster (will also include stock set)
Tech Spec snakeskin tank grip
Woodcraft clip-ons 1” rise
Renthals dark gray medium grips
R&G paddock stand bobs
R&G fork protecters and swing arm protectors
GSG swingarm sliders, frame sliders
Driven front and rear sprockets (stock gearing)
DID ERV3 525 gold chain
Tune Boy unlock key
Triumph tank bag 20-30 litre
Spare windscreen

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
Sachez, I wish you good luck!

I love my Daytona 600, and wish that I had the cash for a 675...some day though.

That's a beautiful bike and a great price. Great find!

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I approached this new purchase thinking a DRZ-400 was the best bike, but I posted on the ADVrider local forum and a couple of people recommended a smaller plated bike ( starting here http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157135&page=121 at 40 posts per page search for ribsauce to see where my first post is) and now I am unsure.

So today I talked to this guy ( http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=633717 ) [KLX 250S] about this bike. Anyone know about these? It doesn't need to be amazing on the road as I won't be doing very much at all over 3 hours on pavement, if it can do it (almost) as good as a ninja 250 that would be fine.

edit
on the DRZ front I talked to this guy today
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/2089724689.html and he said it is an S model, not an e model: his reply
[quote] . Remember it is a 2001 dirtbike, not beat up,( garaged stored) but it has been used in the woods and on mountain trials. I replaced everything on this bike that I thought would break and leave me in the woods about two years ago and it has been ridden approx 200 miles since.
Don’t expect it to be a trailer queen, however it is set-up to be reliable and you should not have to spend any money on it if you decide to purchase it. I went by Cycle Gear today and it appears that you can replace all of the plastic in either yellow or black and buy a graphics kit for under two hundred bucks if you decide to dress it up. It is missing a mirror on the right hand side--dropped it while unloading last time I rode in the NC mountains.[quote]

thanks guys!

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 28, 2010

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Ribsauce posted:

I read the vibration is supposedly a lot worse on the LC4 640 than the LC4 400. Which one do you have Fuzzy?

Sorry for the late reply, I have the "640" LC4 engine although my bike is officially called a 625. A lot of people do complain about the vibration but I just don't see how it affects my enjoyment of the ride. And like I said before, I came from an inline 4 sportbike, and before that, an inline 4 cruiser with shaft drive, so I know what really smooth feels like. Just doesn't bother me.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Ribsauce posted:

If the KTM is a better performing bike and the maintenance is not really any worse, then I will still consider it. I am going to look at it anyway once all this snow goes away. Terrible timing on the snow, I had it set up to go look at like 5 bikes today but it snowed like 7 inches here in Raleigh, which being in the south makes it effectively 9 feet.

edit

I posted in the local thread on ADV rider asking for advice about what to get and one guy recommended that KTM and 3 people said look at a smaller bike for my first trail bike, like a KLX250, TTR225, etc

How do you guys feel about that?

The TTR is a great bike. The KLX I don't know much about. Less power, weight and complexity absolutely make sense in a trail bike, and especially for an inexperienced rider.

As far as the KTM goes, I just can't see any reason why you would choose it over the DR-Z, except possibly suspension quality. That aspect aside, it doesn't do anything better and isn't easier to live with than the more mainstream Japanese option.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Miss Fats posted:

Hello friends!

This is perhaps the best troll ever.

As for the Rebel and GZ250 recommendations for larger riders: I'm 6"2, 32inch inseam, and a Rebel is NOT comfortable for me to sit on and ride. The GZ250 I took my MSF on was way too small too, and even the LS650 I bought for my wife is too small for my frame. They are GREAT bikes, but unfortunately, they aren't comfortable for all big riders, new or otherwise.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Raven457 posted:

This is perhaps the best troll ever.

As for the Rebel and GZ250 recommendations for larger riders: I'm 6"2, 32inch inseam, and a Rebel is NOT comfortable for me to sit on and ride. The GZ250 I took my MSF on was way too small too, and even the LS650 I bought for my wife is too small for my frame. They are GREAT bikes, but unfortunately, they aren't comfortable for all big riders, new or otherwise.

I can echo that, some bikes are just small. I'm about the same height but I wear a 36 in pants and it was almost comical where my knees were when I went to look at a Rebel while first-bike hunting.

I feel tall on about anything I get on though.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
Made a big mistake. Went to the dealers and sat on both the xr650l and the sv650. I know two totally different bikes but after sitting on the xr I had to choose it. It just fits the best. I do plan on doing some offroading too. So with that in mind

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/mcy/2113828334.html
Theres a few other ones I'm looking into, as well as a klr.

In general is it better to an older bike with less miles? That ones an 93 with much lower miles than some of the 07 08s I'v been looking at which had around 20K.

E: http://www.use.com/DR_650_CC_2008_STRET_LEGAL_3400_bc281ecbf66c013b26e2#photo=1
Is that much rusting on the exhaust in picture 4 normal for an 08 bike?

philkop fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 5, 2011

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

nsaP posted:

I can echo that, some bikes are just small. I'm about the same height but I wear a 36 in pants and it was almost comical where my knees were when I went to look at a Rebel while first-bike hunting.

I feel tall on about anything I get on though.

If you get a chance to sit on a Ducati Multstrada 1200, do it. You'll know what sitting on a bike should feel like. :hellyeah:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

philkop posted:

Made a big mistake. Went to the dealers and sat on both the xr650l and the sv650. I know two totally different bikes but after sitting on the xr I had to choose it. It just fits the best. I do plan on doing some offroading too. So with that in mind

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/mcy/2113828334.html
Theres a few other ones I'm looking into, as well as a klr.

In general is it better to an older bike with less miles? That ones an 93 with much lower miles than some of the 07 08s I'v been looking at which had around 20K.

E: http://www.use.com/DR_650_CC_2008_STRET_LEGAL_3400_bc281ecbf66c013b26e2#photo=1
Is that much rusting on the exhaust in picture 4 normal for an 08 bike?

2500$ is way too much for a 93. Closer to 1500$ would be reasonable.

The problem with low mileage older bikes is that bikes work best when ridden regularly. 5k miles is 25 miles a month, if he took it out for a 20 mile ride each month, that'd be the ideal setup, but usually low mileage can translate as "sat for years", which means any rubber seals are going to be heavily degraded and need replacement. Plus the tires are probably ancient, chain will need to be replaced, and everything's going to need to be greased and lubed again.

That amount of rust is pretty normal on an exhaust.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
Alright thanks. I might go in and look at that dr. It looks to be a dealer (originally found it on craigslist.)

His price on CL was 3200.. I'm paying in cash so I'd offer him 2800. Does that sound reasonable?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I would try and shoot for under 2k for your first bike though, just as a sort of manner of principal, considering that bikes are not like cars and most people don't end up figuring out exactly what they want on their first bike. However, 2800 doesn't seem bad for that bike in that condition.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
Ok so much back and forth. Iv "Decided" on the sv650. After further and hopefully final reconsideration I'v realized the sv would be a smarter choice. Although I want to travel, honestly most of my travel will be on long open roads so I'll be better off with less wind and my face and a slightly nicer seat. (by comparison.) Might get a corbin eventually.

Iv seen many more sv650s that can be had a lot cheaper than most dual sports of same mileage and wear. I saw a few of them fully geared up with panniers and thats what really made me make my choice.

Getting a cheaper starter bike so I have a year or two to decide what I want would be better ideally, but I recently came across a good amount of money so I'm not sure if I'd be financially able in a few years to get a new bike. It will be my daily driver too.

I will take your advice and try to stick with a cheaper one since its my first.
http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/mcy/2141907742.html

I'm wondering how intensive that "front suspension" problem is, but I like that it comes with the led lights already.

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/mcy/2106279874.html
And theres still this one.

I have 7000 but I didnt want to spend it all on a bike. Especially since I'm semi new.

But that being said. Look at this.

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/mcy/2137887353.html
holy poo poo balls. I know you cant judge just by reading the ad but the owner sounds legit enough. Id probably go down to at least 3000 if not less with my offer.

Noob question too. I sat on the sv650s, and it fit pretty good. a non s would be exactly the same fit (assuming its after 03 which id get anyways?)

Any advice on buying bikes on craiglist in general. I'v never actually driven this bike before and I'm a little nervous. I imagine me going to check it out, them asking if I want to take it for a drive, and then me going right into a tree.

I have rode my dads 650 cruiser, my own 100cc dual sportish thing and my daily driver has been a 125cc scooter for the last 2 and a half years. So I feel I have a grasp on the physics of a moving bike. I really just want to go and get it back to my area so I can experiment and get a feel for it in my comfort zone.

So basically any tips for the ride home when I do get a bike? And tips on "test riding" bikes. I'm sure even experienced riders run into these problems when going for an entirely new model bike.

Sorry for long rear end posts, but I'v been back and forth trying to make the best decision with some extra money I was lucky to receive.

inb4:"get a ninja 250" please.

philkop fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 6, 2011

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

There is very little I would get rid of my sweet rear end harley for, but this would do it :(

http://burlington.craigslist.org/mcy/2144634114.html

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

philkop posted:

Noob question too. I sat on the sv650s, and it fit pretty good. a non s would be exactly the same fit (assuming its after 03 which id get anyways?)
Nope. The nakeds have handlebars rather than clipons, which are higher and wider, so the position is a bit more relaxed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

VTNewb, what is going on with your sweet rear end harley?

philkop posted:

Ok so much back and forth. Iv "Decided" on the sv650. After further and hopefully final reconsideration I'v realized the sv would be a smarter choice. Although I want to travel, honestly most of my travel will be on long open roads so I'll be better off with less wind and my face and a slightly nicer seat. (by comparison.) Might get a corbin eventually.

Iv seen many more sv650s that can be had a lot cheaper than most dual sports of same mileage and wear. I saw a few of them fully geared up with panniers and thats what really made me make my choice.

Getting a cheaper starter bike so I have a year or two to decide what I want would be better ideally, but I recently came across a good amount of money so I'm not sure if I'd be financially able in a few years to get a new bike. It will be my daily driver too.

I will take your advice and try to stick with a cheaper one since its my first.
http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/mcy/2141907742.html

I'm wondering how intensive that "front suspension" problem is, but I like that it comes with the led lights already.

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/mcy/2106279874.html
And theres still this one.

I have 7000 but I didnt want to spend it all on a bike. Especially since I'm semi new.

But that being said. Look at this.

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/mcy/2137887353.html
holy poo poo balls. I know you cant judge just by reading the ad but the owner sounds legit enough. Id probably go down to at least 3000 if not less with my offer.

Any advice on buying bikes on craiglist in general. I'v never actually driven this bike before and I'm a little nervous. I imagine me going to check it out, them asking if I want to take it for a drive, and then me going right into a tree.

I have rode my dads 650 cruiser, my own 100cc dual sportish thing and my daily driver has been a 125cc scooter for the last 2 and a half years. So I feel I have a grasp on the physics of a moving bike. I really just want to go and get it back to my area so I can experiment and get a feel for it in my comfort zone.

So basically any tips for the ride home when I do get a bike? And tips on "test riding" bikes. I'm sure even experienced riders run into these problems when going for an entirely new model bike.

Sorry for long rear end posts, but I'v been back and forth trying to make the best decision with some extra money I was lucky to receive.

inb4:"get a ninja 250" please.

If you like the seating position on the S model, buy the second one (it's got lower bars on it). Although I'm suspicious as to why it's so cheap yet it hasn't been sold yet...but either way, go check it out. It's in the right price range, it's nice and clean, and there's basically nothing on an SV that can go mechanically wrong.

Test rides typically work like so: You show up, BS for a bit, leave him with a stack of cash and your friend, and go ride the bike around for a bit, run it through the gears, and if you like it you complete the paperwork.

Or you could feel things out, have him ride the bike and run it through the gears past you on the street and then offer him 50$ to ride it home for you, if you don't live horribly far away.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 6, 2011