Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

So I'm 95% sure I have to pull the head, I have a lot of signs pointing to the head gasket, but something is still bugging me: there is coolant getting into cylinder 3 almost for sure, but my oil and coolant look fine, if not cleaner than expected. So the best I can tell, coolant is entering the head and burning, but oil isn't leaving. This seems pretty unusual to me, but does that sound reasonable/possible to you guys?

The car had a mild overheating/coolant leak (radiator needed replacing) about 7 months ago, but has ran perfectly until it recently started burning coolant (last week, at a pretty mild rate), and I diligently monitor the 'real' temps via obd2, and it hasn't overheated, so I'm really confused about what brought this on. I wasn't running the car hard or anything. The only other factor is the car has probably never seen freezing temperatures before this winter, so my best guess is that the engine was rapidly cooling from ~180 degrees to ~20 degrees, and that simply caused the head gasket or head to crack. Again, reasonable?

Pretty sure I'm going to pull the head either way, but any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

tl;dr: Burning coolant, but oil and coolant aren't mixing whatsoever, can't tell what the gently caress is going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
The HG failed between a water jacket and the cylinder.

Pop off the radiator cap and put a funnel in there with some coolant so it forms a water lock. Do exhaust gasses eventually bubble out?

FatCow fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 22, 2010

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

meltie posted:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

It got taken from outside the house a few months ago, on a really wet night before the UK's snowfall.

It was found in a council estate in town with the radio missing. It's still got most of the petrol I had in it, so I think it only got taken as transport on a crap night.

Radio's gone, centre console's bust up, ignition's hosed up, wires everywhere, roof's slashed and it's sat outside in an assessor's yard for a month whilst it has snowed.

Despite being fully comprehensive, the insurance company are playing hide-and-seek with me. Aaaargh.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Why did they slash the roof, to gain entry to the vehicle?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

willie_dee posted:

I'm so sorry for your loss. Why did they slash the roof, to gain entry to the vehicle?

Yeah, must've been. I'm very tempted to buy the 'wreck' back and fix it up. Bit of stormsure glue and some new fascia bits... :(

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

FatCow posted:

It looks like what I'm thinking of wasn't actually OEM. Closest OEM that I can find is like: http://www.blueridgemiataclub.org/technical/windows/images/Image01.jpg

It needs to be OEM from a NA Miata for it to work for me.

My 94 looks just like that. It's an R package but I don't think that matters. It's year dependent. Look at the huge package pdf on miata.net to find the exact range you're looking for.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The problem he's trying to alleviate is being able to shut the door without the handle/shelf hitting the seat. I'll probably swap cards with him to see if/where it rubs since I have a 94.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I've had stock and now Sparco Sprint V's in my car and have no problem with the 94 panel hitting anything. I'm taller though and the Sparco is mounted directly to the floor and almost against the sheet metal behind the seats. The passenger seat is on the stock slider (also Sparco Sprint V) and it doesn't have any problems with the handle anywhere, though seems to interfere with the trans tunnel if moved really far forward. It would only be a problem if you didn't have legs.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

destructo posted:

IIRC Only special Japanese packages like the M1 or M2 had these. Best bet is to make your own or repurpose them from another car.

I know this isnt OEM like you said, but heres a FANTASTIC write-up from m.net about how to make your own center-console delete and carpet, like the japanese special editions.

Most people use a chrome ring for the shifter, but i think i'd go with a metal gated one for the Lamborghini-style :rice:

link: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=392922&highlight=

On another note, its significant other christmas present time! Do i get suspension parts or the FlyinMiata Frame rail reinforcement and butterfly brace? Car is a bone stock NA8 and i've got a roughly $400 budget.

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 23, 2010

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
RB tubular front sway and 949racing endlinks.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Is that really a massive jump over the Flyin-miata ones? For less than 200 bucks i could have adjustable front and rear sways. Let me rephrase the question: Without good tires and a tight suspension (for now), is the butterfly brace pointless?

My car is a base and doesnt have the bracing some cars did, the rattles and wunks when going over any kind of bump are killing me

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The butterfly brace and frame rails are a waste of money when you're not doing any type of "REAL RACING" with the car. Noises come with the car; if you wanted a comfortable, quiet ride you should have purchased a Crown Vic.

If you want to upgrade your suspension at all, springing for Koni yellows is not a bad idea, but getting a bigger front sway will help with some of the rolling at the expense of being a little bit more push happy. The Flyin' Miata rear sway is too big/stiff and will make you way more oversteer prone.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I got the RB hollow sways front and rear and just kept the stock end-links. I'll replace them if one breaks or there's a problem.
Love the sway bars though.

I did install them in conjunction with Bilstein Sports and H&R race springs though so I've not tested them alone, but I'm sure they would be a marked improvement.

It's a 99 with no aftermarket reinforcement except a Harddog rollbar

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Phone is the new Vitamin J.

If you want to get rid of those rattles and general shaky feel in the front end of the car, pick up a front shock tower brace and those frame rails, it's a night and day difference. Granted, this only works with the NA since the later ones already come with these as OEM equipment/are stiffer to begin with. It doesn't make the car faster, but it does make it much more enjoyable to drive.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

destructo posted:

Phone is the new Vitamin J.

If you want to get rid of those rattles and general shaky feel in the front end of the car, pick up a front shock tower brace and those frame rails, it's a night and day difference. Granted, this only works with the NA since the later ones already come with these as OEM equipment/are stiffer to begin with. It doesn't make the car faster, but it does make it much more enjoyable to drive.

The NB doesn't usually come with the shock tower brace, I don't know about the frame rails. AFAIK only the special editions and "sport suspension package" miatas came with the shock tower brace.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Taking a break from breaking down this engine. Almost done. Not too bad except had to cut up a poo poo load of fuel/vacuum lines that were pretty much fused to the connectors. Oh well. How much does the head weigh with the intake manifold attached? Think I can lift that off by myself?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm pretty sure that the head is made out of aluminum.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
If it's like any other aluminum 4 cylinder head I've pulled it's doable by yourself. it's an awkward reach though so make 100% sure all wires and hoses are disconnected and the head and everything attached wont catch any other wires/hoses on the way out.
It's no fun to be pulling on it and have it lifted a bit and feel that tugging and it not going anywhere. It's easy to set it back down wrong and gouge or scratch the head gasket mating surface wheeee

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr
God, it's been over a year since I got to drive my little NB. I love it so much, it's so raw and responsive. I knew there was a reason I don't like driving newer cars. They make me feel all claustrophobic and like I can't see anything, even my wife's NC gives me that. So good to be home for a bit to drive the ol' gal.

Anyways, I noticed rust bubbling up under the paint on top of the driver's side rear arch. Just a small spot, 'bout the size of quarter, but it's worrying since I wont be able to take care of it for at least another 6 months. Do you think it'll be alright for now or is this probably a 'sooner than later' issue?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Brain Issues posted:

The NB doesn't usually come with the shock tower brace, I don't know about the frame rails. AFAIK only the special editions and "sport suspension package" miatas came with the shock tower brace.
Should have been more specific. The subframe braces came standard on 94+ and make a fairly decent difference. It should be noted that you're going to have to get a decent shock tower brace to notice anything. No frame rails on any cars, but the NB chassis is just stiffer to begin with IIRC.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

AkrisD posted:

God, it's been over a year since I got to drive my little NB. I love it so much, it's so raw and responsive. I knew there was a reason I don't like driving newer cars. They make me feel all claustrophobic and like I can't see anything, even my wife's NC gives me that. So good to be home for a bit to drive the ol' gal.

Anyways, I noticed rust bubbling up under the paint on top of the driver's side rear arch. Just a small spot, 'bout the size of quarter, but it's worrying since I wont be able to take care of it for at least another 6 months. Do you think it'll be alright for now or is this probably a 'sooner than later' issue?

Definitely a sooner-rather-than-later issue, especially if it's anywhere near salt (ie UK cars)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Welp.

Looks like my time with a Miata will be over sooner than expected. Got hit in a parking lot today. Front fender and headlight are destroyed, hood doesn't close, bumper is in bad shape, and the big one is the steering. The wheel in the photo is straight but the steering wheel and the right front are cranked hard left.

I was planning on selling it soon and getting a Ranger, and I bought a used window regulator to fix the left side. Guess I can skip that now.

Still have full coverage on it, so insurance will be picking it up and inspecting it. If they don't gently caress me over on their offer, I'll let them take it.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

:(

Ranger? You already have a pickup truck

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, but not one I can throw a bunch of poo poo into whenever I want - both due to fear of damage and insurance reasons. I also can't use it as an interim daily driver. The Miata doesn't work for my commute these days anyway.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Howed you do that?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Don't know. Everyone is like "the head never cracks!". Car hasn't seen temps above ~215 for months, nor has it been ran hard since the summer.

Oh well. Grabbing a used head and this will still be under $300 fixed easy.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Merry christmas! My miata wont run!

My car (1996 Miata Base 5 speed) wont idle :( After the occasional low/rough idle for a few weeks my car has lost the ability to not die unless i hold the throttle (made for an interesting drive home for christmas dinner, left foot braking at every stop light, holding the revs up with my right foot so it wouldnt stall. The revs simply fall to 0RPM and it runs roughly briefly and stalls.

When i start the car it runs and idles fine (only tested once), the second i blip the throttle away from that initial running period, it will run low rpm (i saw an indicated 0 rpm without engine death, although it would have followed very shortly thereafter), when the engine dies a quick CEL appears, than it dies.

When the car is in gear everything works perfectly, no sign of misfires anywhere. Where do i begin? The car has 82,000 miles on what could very well be the original plugs and wires, but this dying issue is just strange. Help me AI!

One more thing, after a recent timing belt/water pump job i requested a trusted mechanic set the timing to 14BTDC, he said before it was jumping between 8 and 11 (normal). Could this be causing my problem?

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 26, 2010

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
How do Miatas handle air delivery at idle? Sounds like a faulty IACV...

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Friend of mine said IAC as well, he knows nothing about miatas but says "Im sure its similar to ford, see if its full of gunk".

Would anyone mind giving me a simple walkthrough of this process? I dont have a clue where that is or what tools to use, but ill try it (fortune favors the bold). But i feel like if i go in blind i might do more harm than good...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Piano posted:

Don't know. Everyone is like "the head never cracks!". Car hasn't seen temps above ~215 for months, nor has it been ran hard since the summer.

Oh well. Grabbing a used head and this will still be under $300 fixed easy.

That sucks, I've never seen or heard of that happening either. I have a 94 head I can pull and sell you if you're looking for a 1.8. I'm in Cincinnati, if it matters.

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

Friend of mine said IAC as well, he knows nothing about miatas but says "Im sure its similar to ford, see if its full of gunk".

Would anyone mind giving me a simple walkthrough of this process? I dont have a clue where that is or what tools to use, but ill try it (fortune favors the bold). But i feel like if i go in blind i might do more harm than good...

What year? 1.6 or 1.8L? It should be right on the throttle body with a hose that connects to the intake pipe. Also it should have an electrical connector on it. Never paid much attention to it or taken it off but I imagine it's only a couple bolts to remove and check it.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 27, 2010

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

DreamOn13 posted:

That sucks, I've never seen or heard of that happening either. I have a 94 head I can pull and sell you if you're looking for a 1.8. I'm in Cincinnati, if it matters.

Already sourced one from a guy on m.net, but thanks for offering.

My budget so far:
-$150 used head
-$40(?) head gasket
-$20 PCV valve I broke on removal
-$50(?) milling

$250ish. Don't know if I need new ARP head bolts. The bolt that was next to the crack had some dents on it, all the other bolts are fine. It would be $100 for a set of the ARP bolts, or I could replace that one bolt with a mazda one for something like $15. Not sure what I want to do. Obviously I don't want to skimp on the engine but just not sure if the ARP ones will make a difference.

edit: Also the Top Gear special with a miata in it may or may not be on a :files: site if I had to guess.

Jean Eric Burn fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 27, 2010

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Piano posted:

$250ish. Don't know if I need new ARP head bolts. The bolt that was next to the crack had some dents on it, all the other bolts are fine. It would be $100 for a set of the ARP bolts, or I could replace that one bolt with a mazda one for something like $15. Not sure what I want to do. Obviously I don't want to skimp on the engine but just not sure if the ARP ones will make a difference.

The bolts are not torque to yield, so you can reuse them if you want.

Having said that, I reused my set and immediately had a weeping HG. Removed the head again, new HG, re-cleaned and re-dried everthing, and re-installed with ARP studs, and no more leaks. Used the same ARP studs in my second built motor with no issues as well.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

IOwnCalculus posted:

Welp.

Hi, friend.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Phone fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 27, 2010

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

:(:hf::(

Guessing that you aren't looking for an excuse to sell yours, though.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
You try to take a shortcut through a snowbank there Mr. Phone?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
No, but rather... a fan.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I don't get it.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I'll take that mangled shell off your hands so you don't have to go through the bother of scrapping it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You volunteering your garage space so I can part out my car? Christmas really is the spirit of giving. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Trying to figure something out on my '91 Miata (5sp). If you're driving along and accelerate, the car turns to the left. If you let off the throttle, it turns to the right.

It's gotta be something loose in the rear suspension, right? My first thought was the strut tops because it's the only part I know has been worked on in the relatively recent past (it's been over a year, though), so I'm checking those now. What else could it be?