Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

That Turkey Story posted:

Looks great. I haven't played a lot of iidx, but I used to play way too much Pop'n Music. It's been a while but I remember Pop'n Navy, which was for keeping track of Pop'n Music scores and, after searching, there apparently was one for iidx as well (both of which closed down but were resurrected as "Solid State Squad"). Is this related at all to that?
Nah, I didn't really care for the public score trackers at the time (I think VJ Army was the only one at the time I started) so I made it just for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

tripwire posted:

How are you using it? It doesn't seem like the ! commands actually output anything to anywhere, and theres no "p" (presumably print?) command like there is in ultra-inquisitors hello-world example.
I changed the language since that example. ! is the new P

antimatter
Feb 14, 2005

HappyHippo posted:

Started working on this again. It's a Civilization clone, but on an actual globe. So far I've mostly just been working on making the globe, but there are some units that move and cities. No combat yet.

This looks freaking awesome, one thing I am wondering is how are you deforming the hexagons/etc for all of the mountain range?

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

HappyHippo posted:

Started working on this again. It's a Civilization clone, but on an actual globe. So far I've mostly just been working on making the globe, but there are some units that move and cities. No combat yet.

Is that really a full globe or does it stop at some point? How do you handle the fact that you can't really tessellate hexes over a sphere? Is it more like a warped cylinder or something that cuts off before the poles?

antimatter
Feb 14, 2005

Is that really a full globe or does it stop at some point? How do you handle the fact that you can't really tessellate hexes over a sphere? Is it more like a warped cylinder or something that cuts off before the poles?

It is probably a complete sphere, and the trick is that you can sort of tessellate the hexagons over a sphere but you need to have a few points that are pentagons. I forgot the exact number but its not going to be 100% hexagons.

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

antimatter posted:

It is probably a complete sphere, and the trick is that you can sort of tessellate the hexagons over a sphere but you need to have a few points that are pentagons. I forgot the exact number but its not going to be 100% hexagons.

Well, yeah, you can do that without too much trouble for the graphic, but for a game that's more than a little odd, not to mention that it makes the underlying graph structure more complicated. A graph corresponding to a traditional hex grid is pretty much just as easy to implement as that of a grid of squares. The vertices and edges of the graph are represented implicitly and you can store all your tile data very easily in an array, knowing exactly which vertex it corresponds to by the index. Absolutely no information needs to be explicitly stored in memory about the graph structure (other than width) since you can trivially calculate the adjacency of vertices in constant time. All operations are both easy to implement and very efficient.

I'm sure it's possible to figure out some similar but complicated way to do something like this efficiently with an odd grouping of the irregular hexes mixed with other polygons, but it seems, at least to me, to be perhaps needlessly complicated, at least from what little I know about it. Also, the more irregular the polygons get and the more you use polygons with differing numbers of sides, you get some strange and unintuitive results concerning the represented distance between tiles, which is definitely not something that is desirable for a game. For a grid of squares or regular hexes you generally don't have such problems since the theoretical distance between any two adjacent vertices is constant and the optimal routes between two tiles are fairly simple to calculate.

Still, I really like this idea of the fully tiled sphere, I just don't immediately see how it would work well for a civ-like game for the above reasons. It looks like he's done it to some extent, but there are definitely some tough trade-offs that he hasn't mentioned.

antimatter
Feb 14, 2005

Still, I really like this idea of the fully tiled sphere, I just don't immediately see how it would work well for a civ-like game for the above reasons. It looks like he's done it to some extent, but there are definitely some tough trade-offs that he hasn't mentioned.

Yeah, but the thing is its a fixed amount of pentagon, something like 12 and you end up with thousands and thousands of hexagons, so its not too bad for most part imho.

I do agree however that it would cause the graph/etc to not exactly be the simplest to store in memory, so I'm pretty curious about how he is doing it.

[edit:] More details on the hexagon grid sphere - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truncated_icosahedron - Basically you take that and subdivide the hexagons into more hexagons and then as you subdivide the hexagons the pentagon shrinks. So in the end you end up with 12 pentagon and however many hundred if not thousands of hexagon. Its one of the better/only way that I've seen of mapping hexagon to a sphere.

antimatter fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 16, 2010

Jewel
May 2, 2009

antimatter posted:

Yeah, but the thing is its a fixed amount of pentagon, something like 6ish and you end up with thousands and thousands of hexagons, so its not too bad for most part imho.

I do agree however that it would cause the graph/etc to not exactly be the simplest to store in memory, so I'm pretty curious about how he is doing it.

Yes but you're playing a game based on hexagons, you can move in six directions from any tile. Then you land on a pentagon, what now? You can only move five directions? It just doesn't work as a game, it works as a picture or a model, but not as a game.

antimatter
Feb 14, 2005

Tw1tchy posted:

Yes but you're playing a game based on hexagons, you can move in six directions from any tile. Then you land on a pentagon, what now? You can only move five directions? It just doesn't work as a game, it works as a picture or a model, but not as a game.

It depends on how you do it, you can make sure that the spot with a pentagon is impassable so it never comes up, or alternatively give some sort of penality/bonus based on that to balance it out. But that would make the rules a bit more complicated and having to encode the special cases in various aspects of the rules... So I think from what I've heard from people who attempts these types of map is that they just usually make the pentagon impassable/unusable.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

fankey posted:

Q-Sys
All at 48kHz floating point, 2.5ms analog in to out latency.
That's very spiffy! I'm assuming your systems are slightly more expensive than the average UAD DSP card :)

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

antimatter posted:

Yeah, but the thing is its a fixed amount of pentagon, something like 12 and you end up with thousands and thousands of hexagons, so its not too bad for most part imho.

Thats 20 hexagons to 12 pentagons, which is hardly a small amount of pentagons. I don't immediately see what you can do to simply increase the amount of [regular] hexagons, unless you start using more and more irregular polygons or polygons with different numbers of sides and/or a more warped approximation of a sphere. The more deformed the polygons get, the more you defeat whole purpose of using regular hexes in a game to begin with.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

antimatter posted:

This looks freaking awesome, one thing I am wondering is how are you deforming the hexagons/etc for all of the mountain range?

I use the same perlin noise that I use to make the continents to choose the elevation, with a few tricks to make them look more like mountains and plains instead of overly bumpy.

There are exactly 12 pentagons, and about 40000 hexes on that globe. The game also works with ~10000 and ~2500 hexes (also with 12 pentagons). It's made using the dual of a geodisec sphere (see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geodesic_dome). There is indeed some distortion of the hexes, especially near the pentagons, but it isn't particularly noticeable. In terms of gameplay, I'm just counting on those 12 pentagons to not have a big effect on a world that large.

Edit: As for how it's stored, each tile has a pointer to each of its neighbors. This is all I need really. I already have pathfinding working.

HappyHippo fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 16, 2010

antimatter
Feb 14, 2005

Thats 20 hexagons to 12 pentagons, which is hardly a small amount of pentagons. I don't immediately see what you can do to simply increase the amount of [regular] hexagons, unless you start using more and more irregular polygons or polygons with different numbers of sides and/or a more warped approximation of a sphere. The more deformed the polygons get, the more you defeat whole purpose of using regular hexes in a game to begin with.

You can subdivide hexagons into smaller set of hexagons you know.

HappyHippo posted:

I use the same perlin noise that I use to make the continents to choose the elevation, with a few tricks to make them look more like mountains and plains instead of overly bumpy.

Aha, nice trick :) One thing I'm curious is how do you raise/lowern the hexagons on the sphere? IE do you raise the whole thing, and let its neighbors follow, or is it like per vertex raising or? I guess what I mean is, would a hexagon be somewhat flat on a mountain or not?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

antimatter posted:

Aha, nice trick :) One thing I'm curious is how do you raise/lowern the hexagons on the sphere? IE do you raise the whole thing, and let its neighbors follow, or is it like per vertex raising or? I guess what I mean is, would a hexagon be somewhat flat on a mountain or not?

Well the beauty of perlin noise is that it varies smoothly through space. So I give each vertex its own elevation, and that creates nice looking mountains.

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

HappyHippo posted:

There is indeed some distortion of the hexes, especially near the pentagons, but it isn't particularly noticeable. In terms of gameplay, I'm just counting on those 12 pentagons to not have a big effect on a world that large.

Interesting. I always wanted to play some kind of a turn-based, tiled game on a globe. If you make some more progress with controlling units I'd like to try it out.

antimatter posted:

You can subdivide hexagons into smaller set of hexagons you know.

:munch:

Lets see you do this with an exact fit and using regular hexes. As was said, there is, by necessity, distortion.

antimatter
Feb 14, 2005

Lets see you do this with an exact fit and using regular hexes. As was said, there is, by necessity, distortion.

Won't be exact, will be some distortion/etc yes but it is possible to subdivide a larger hexagon into a smaller hexagon, would need to deal with half hexagons and merging with the other subdivision/etc.

I was going to build a globe like he did by subdividing it into triangles then merging the triangles into hexagons and pentagons. But I've seen a couple of small demos floating around that did it the other way and subdivided by hexagons/partial hexagons.

fankey
Aug 31, 2001

Sagacity posted:

That's very spiffy! I'm assuming your systems are slightly more expensive than the average UAD DSP card :)
The most powerful core is something like $30k. That doesn't include any IO. The spiffy part is the number of DSP chips we use to do the processing - :ssh: None! We do all our processing using SSE on Intel chips

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Interesting. I always wanted to play some kind of a turn-based, tiled game on a globe. If you make some more progress with controlling units I'd like to try it out.

Thanks. Right now what I've got working is that you click on the tile you want to unit to go to and it shows you the path it will take. If you click again it moves along the path for the number of moves it has left. If instead you click on another tile it shows you a new path. If I make it so that it remembers the path from the previous turn (and with a simple command like enter to tell it to keep going) it should be pretty user friendly. Back in the day I used to play a game called cyberstorm which was pretty much the same interface.

It's been a lot of fun to program. There are a lot of unexpected challenges - basic things like "which tile did the user click on" and "how to center on a particular tile" and "creating a mini-map" are non-trivial, but doable.

Surface
May 5, 2007
<3 boomstick
Dropping this App on the Android Marketplace tonight/tomorrow night. iOS version in the works.

Scramblr - Scrambles photos based on a password, allows you send private scrambled images to other people via e-mail/text/any capable android program. Ties into core android apps, allowing the user to send scrambled images in most places where they can send regular images. These images can be unscrambled only by the correct password. Incorrect passwords make the images even more scrambled.

I had to cut myself off and feature-limit the milestones for the first release, but I already have in mind (or in-progress) many improvements/new features.

Sorry about the poor screenshots they are drafts I did this morning for the App's website: http://www.instanceoftom.com/scramblr

- Main/Start activity

- Choosing an image to scramble/unscramble

- Image scrambling in progress (The user can watch)

- (un)Scrambled image preview.

Surface fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 21, 2010

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

That looks awesome and I want to play it.

It's sort of funny that in the trailer for an ASCII game, you go out of your way to explicitly make the protagonist a man.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Surface posted:

Scramblr

Remember kids, practice safe sext.

(This is a great idea.)

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

Surface posted:

Scramblr

This is awesome.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
I find myself with a strong urge to get it just to try cracking it...

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Zhentar posted:

I find myself with a strong urge to get it just to try cracking it...
Is it possible to buy and run an Android app on a PC? Because I have the same urge.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
There's an Android emulator as part of the Android SDK:

http://developer.android.com/guide/developing/tools/emulator.html

Not sure how the Android marketplace works through an emulator though.

Surface
May 5, 2007
<3 boomstick
Thanks guys.

Its live in the market now. Oh snap.

Download Scramblr for Android

Surface fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 24, 2010

Menekali
Jul 21, 2008

biznatchio posted:

Combat medics learn to stabilize and triage. They're not learning surgery here, they're learning the steps necessary to stop someone from dying on the battlefield when, for example, their leg has been blown off.

How would go about getting the name of such a program?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Since getting my CR-48, I've been working on a Chrome app for Instapaper. While I originally made it with a focus on offline reading, it's expanded a little. Here's a paginated view, based off of Instapaper's text view, I'm kinda proud of:

It uses the left/right keys to navigate pages, and you can use it on any article with the Instapaper Text bookmarklet :)

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
First light from my webgl procedural multiplayer 3d roguelike thing. This is a overhead shot from the Google Chrome 8 Beta.

Click here for the full 1112x820 image.

cultureulterior fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Dec 26, 2010

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

h_double posted:

That looks awesome and I want to play it.

It's sort of funny that in the trailer for an ASCII game, you go out of your way to explicitly make the protagonist a man.

Thank you.

It's funny, but despite lack of graphics, the player's death and hurt sounds are still gender-specific :)

Godspeed You! Black Conservative
Dec 30, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Sometimes I work as a journalist and it's hard to find a simple plain text editor for a Mac that does word count and strips formatting easily so I decided to write one.

It's a fun project and I hope I can sell this on the Mac App Store when it opens.

Dass Niemand
Aug 11, 2005

I HAVE CANCER
For my thesis I implemented 3D painting using a paintbrush that conforms to features within an image. By "3D painting" I'm referring to painting 3D images directly by painting volumes. The painted voxels can then be rendered later using sub-voxel precision. Here it's being used to interpret seismic formations:

The paintbrush:

Click here for the full 920x515 image.

Rendered voxels:

Click here for the full 937x711 image.

Runs in real time.

edit: Successfully defended this on December 1 (woo!)

Dass Niemand fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 27, 2010

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Godspeed You! Black Conservative posted:

Sometimes I work as a journalist and it's hard to find a simple plain text editor for a Mac that does word count and strips formatting easily so I decided to write one.

It's a fun project and I hope I can sell this on the Mac App Store when it opens.

There's similar programs, like Write Room, but I don't know if they have an actively-updated wordcount like that. And, besides, it's always more fun to write your own :)

Godspeed You! Black Conservative
Dec 30, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Anal Volcano posted:

There's similar programs, like Write Room, but I don't know if they have an actively-updated wordcount like that. And, besides, it's always more fun to write your own :)

WriteRoom was one of the firsts but Writer has a way cooler fullscreen support imo. It's also plain-text only so you can paste and open rich text without formatting. Learning NSDocument structure was half the fun though :spergin:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Tw1tchy posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deltoidal_hexecontahedron :2bong:

place
Jun 19, 2008

place fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 10, 2017

Surface
May 5, 2007
<3 boomstick

An Android app similar to the original Scramblr, but this one is focused on text, and is free (ad supported).

I am making a web version of the text scrambler at the moment, but am debugging character encoding issues in php... (ugh php, I think I may switch to something else).

http://www.instanceoftom.com/txtscramblr/ <- Really easy to find bugs

Surface fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 2, 2011

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I just finished my first major PHP project, using the google charts api and facebook connect to create a social voting website.

VoteSmash.Com

I had only a basic knowledge of PHP before I started this project, so i'm pretty proud of it, no matter how jankey the layout may be :3:

blunt fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 4, 2011

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I've been working on the same basic RPG idea for ages now, but I've got another incarnation of an apocalypse survival roguelike together:

Click here for the full 1280x688 image.

I decided to finally say "screw it" and go with ASCII because it seems like I usually give up on a project around the time I try to get the art looking just right. I still may end up getting some tiles together for it, but this at least looks good enough to me until I can finish up the game.

The idea is basically that you need to wander around scavenging supplies and staying alive. There are zombies of course, but they're not the most dangerous thing out there. It uses roguelike perma-death (and death comes very very easily), but the trick is that you can keep playing as a survivor you've rescued, so you have strong motivation to keep them alive.

Ideally, I'd like that sort of succession mechanic to mean that you can keep a game going through many generations of survivors, watching humanity slowly dwindle away in its last days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

SlightlyMadman posted:

It uses roguelike perma-death (and death comes very very easily), but the trick is that you can keep playing as a survivor you've rescued, so you have strong motivation to keep them alive.

That's a really cool idea. I'm not sure how generous you're going to be with finding more survivors, but I can totally see the atmosphere getting more and more tense as the number of people left slowly dwindles. Eventually it's just the two of you, and when something goes wrong at the worst possible moment you're left wandering, totally alone.

It also opens the door to cinematic "Go on without me!"/"I'll hold them off!" moments.