Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Any best of 2010 mashup that isn't by DJ Earworm is almost guaranteed to suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
I'm hoping it's better than the thing I posted. I don't think he was ever mentioned in this thread. He also does awesome video editing for his mash-ups.

Fun fact: Last year, a local DJ claimed Earworm's best of 2009 mash-up as his own work and started playing it regularly on air. I laughed.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
That best of mix is..not the best I've heard.

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.
Earworm posted a thing that said the 2010 mix is set for release around Christmas, so hopefully we won't be waiting too much longer for it.

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

My name is Gato/I have metal joints/Beat me up/And earn fifteen silver points!
All Day is this week's feature album on Triple J, nothing feels better than having it come on when you're driving around. It's probably a better album than we gave it credit for; it's retardedly fun to jam to.

Bonye West
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozma

icicle bob posted:

All Day is this week's feature album on Triple J, nothing feels better than having it come on when you're driving around. It's probably a better album than we gave it credit for; it's retardedly fun to jam to.

I really like it don't have any problems with it at all. He used Dancing in the Dark so he went right for my heart.

workinonit
Jul 11, 2009
Does Australia not have (strict) intellectual property/copyright laws or something? It just seems that only in Australia would stuff like this get played on the radio without any legal problems.

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

My name is Gato/I have metal joints/Beat me up/And earn fifteen silver points!

nationalista posted:

Does Australia not have (strict) intellectual property/copyright laws or something? It just seems that only in Australia would stuff like this get played on the radio without any legal problems.

I don't think fair use is even stipulated in copyright law here. Copyright laws may even be a bit stricter.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

icicle bob posted:

I don't think fair use is even stipulated in copyright law here. Copyright laws may even be a bit stricter.

Fair use is not, but fair dealing is. From what I can gather on wikipedia, there is a major difference between the copyright protecting a "musical work" (a section III work) and the sound recording of a musical work (a section IV work). So, while you can't copy an album verbatim and market it as your own, you can use clips of a sound recording to create a new song, which would not receive extensive copyright protection, but would be protected from infringement claims. There is also no way to stop any work from being displayed in public, which makes me think that if a mash-up was played on a public station, the copyright holder could do nothing to stop it from being played.

Again, I have never read ANY of the legislation or significant litigation, just summaries and wikipedia articles, so I'm still as in the dark as you are.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I think also Triple J is mostly an indie broadcaster with no ads, paid for by the Australian Government and studios really don't give a gently caress about it

this is the same station that played NWA for 24 hours straight after "gently caress tha Police" got banned in Australia for radio play

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

teacup posted:

this is the same station that played NWA for 24 hours straight after "gently caress tha Police" got banned in Australia for radio play
Minor addendum, it was "Express Yourself" for 24 hours straight.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

kingcobweb posted:

Minor addendum, it was "Express Yourself" for 24 hours straight.

I wish I was old enough to appreciate that when it happened :(

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

lloyol posted:

I'm hoping it's better than the thing I posted. I don't think he was ever mentioned in this thread. He also does awesome video editing for his mash-ups.

Fun fact: Last year, a local DJ claimed Earworm's best of 2009 mash-up as his own work and started playing it regularly on air. I laughed.

definitely excited for Earworm's 2010 mix. i thought his mashups got better with each year.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
New ludachrist video. Obama kicks Tourettes Guy. What is the obama part from?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBoI3XG0zQQ&feature=player_embedded

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

A skit he did on the Tonight Show.

JustLikeMe
Jan 9, 2005
This music video that the Yacht Club DJs have on youtube makes me kinda desperate to see them live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hey79xRNI_I

I really want to hear more of them but apart from that 25 min radio set posted earlier in the thread I'm struggling to find anything. I have a friend in Australia who reckons he may be able to get their most recent album off a friend but there just doesn't seem to be much online!

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

JustLikeMe posted:

This music video that the Yacht Club DJs have on youtube makes me kinda desperate to see them live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hey79xRNI_I

I really want to hear more of them but apart from that 25 min radio set posted earlier in the thread I'm struggling to find anything. I have a friend in Australia who reckons he may be able to get their most recent album off a friend but there just doesn't seem to be much online!

They only hand out their stuff at gigs. That's where I got their latest album, Demons of Gymnastics. They had their original, Kleptomania uploaded for 300 downloads before taking it down, so if you look really hard you may be able to find that around.

JustLikeMe
Jan 9, 2005

Nam Taf posted:

They only hand out their stuff at gigs. That's where I got their latest album, Demons of Gymnastics. They had their original, Kleptomania uploaded for 300 downloads before taking it down, so if you look really hard you may be able to find that around.

Yeah I actually got in touch with them recently and they offered to send me Demons of Gymnastics but as I'm in the UK and the postage wouldn't be cheap I'm not holding my breath... We'll see I guess. They also said they were hoping to get over here to play some shows in the next few months which would be awesome.

Theres no chance of you ripping and uploading Demons of Gymnastics is there? I'm pretty sure this doesn't count as :filez: due to the nature of the material and the lack of copyright implied but if it does then I'm sorry and feel free to ignore me!

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

JustLikeMe posted:

Theres no chance of you ripping and uploading Demons of Gymnastics is there? I'm pretty sure this doesn't count as :filez: due to the nature of the material and the lack of copyright implied but if it does then I'm sorry and feel free to ignore me!

I'd like to know a mod ruling on if uploading an album that was availalbe for temporary download at one point counts as :filez: or not, and if a freely handed out CD counts too. It really comes down to what the mods say. I'm not going to risk it myself.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It's here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLA7JMPE_xU

Still giving it a couple listens to see if it grows on me, but I don't like it as much as 2009's.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Nam Taf posted:

I'd like to know a mod ruling on if uploading an album that was availalbe for temporary download at one point counts as :filez: or not, and if a freely handed out CD counts too. It really comes down to what the mods say. I'm not going to risk it myself.
Is it currently available for purchase/is it likely to be in the future?

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.

flatluigi posted:

It's here.

Still giving it a couple listens to see if it grows on me, but I don't like it as much as 2009's.

It barely sounds like a song

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

flatluigi posted:

It's here.

yeah, pretty disappointed. just seems so jumbled, the beat is too loud compared to the voices.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I still think the 2007 one is the best, closely followed by 2009. This year's is a lot less good than either of those, and 2008 is just unlistenable.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

het posted:

Since I'm fairly sure that their last album never went on sale, I very much doubt it.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

het posted:

My understanding is that they only give out their music at gigs/briefly put it up for download, so as to avoid the potentially questionable legal issues related to Australia's lacking/non-existant fair use laws. Some (but not all) of their songs are on their Facebook page.

I do not know of anywhere where their stuff is for purchase nor do I anticipate them to put it up in the future, but I am trying to find an article/interview/anything that suggests they don't sell their stuff. I'm sure I've read something before along those lines but I'd like to be able to show that first to get an OK.

edit: Bingo!

quote:

RR: You have an album out entitled Kleptomania. Is it in stores and where can you get a copy of that?
Gaz: Well actually, the thing with Kleptomania was because of the nature of the music industry in regards to mash-up music it’s actually something we have had to do virally. Kleptomania was produced in an extremely limited amount. I think we ended up doing only 500 copies and the only way to get one was to turn up to one of our shows and it was something you got for free. We made it up like a CD and got it all pressed and mastered. We had a really cool digi-pack for it that my friend designed and stuff like that. However, because of the nature of the music industry we couldn’t be seen selling what we were doing. So yeah, you got it by coming to the shows. I’ve heard stories of them floating around on eBay and things like that but we’re not allowed talk about getting money from it because otherwise we could get thrown in jail! (Laughs) That’s why it’s called Kleptomania.

[...]

RR: So there’s absolutely no chance of selling copies of it on your tour?
Gaz: No. We never sold Kleptomania and we never will. It was just something we gave away for free and they are all well and truly in the hands of the fans now.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 29, 2010

Violent
Jan 17, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I was linked this on soundcloud today:

http://soundcloud.com/wick-it/sets/the-brothers-of-chico-dusty-big-boi-vs-the-black-keys

Mash up of big boi and the black keys kinda like what danger mouse did with jay-z and the beatles.

endlosnull
Dec 29, 2006

flatluigi posted:

It's here.

It's definitely not as good as 2009's but overall it's not a bad song and it's growing on me. The vocals may seem to be spliced up too much but I don't mind that it makes no sense. I might like his summer mashup that has some similar songs Like, OMG Baby more, though.

JustLikeMe
Jan 9, 2005

endlosnull posted:

It's definitely not as good as 2009's but overall it's not a bad song and it's growing on me. The vocals may seem to be spliced up too much but I don't mind that it makes no sense. I might like his summer mashup that has some similar songs Like, OMG Baby more, though.

I agree - its definitely not as good as last years, but I guess he is extremely limited by what tracks reach the Billboard Top 25. It is growing on me after a few listens and I did catch myself humming it earlier. I haven't heard this summer mashup though, do you have a link?

Edit: Found it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYQJ_SIVUVE

Nam Taf posted:

My understanding is that they only give out their music at gigs/briefly put it up for download, so as to avoid the potentially questionable legal issues related to Australia's lacking/non-existant fair use laws. Some (but not all) of their songs are on their Facebook page.

I do not know of anywhere where their stuff is for purchase nor do I anticipate them to put it up in the future, but I am trying to find an article/interview/anything that suggests they don't sell their stuff. I'm sure I've read something before along those lines but I'd like to be able to show that first to get an OK.

Its for these reasons I'd think that ripping and uploading the albums would be akin to hosting a mirror of a Girl Talk/Super Mash Bros/E-603 album, which has happened a few times already in this thread. They even do say they rely on viral distribution, but that addresses their own view more than the legal issue I guess. I'm really hoping you get the go-ahead here, in case you can't tell!

JustLikeMe fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 29, 2010

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Nam Taf posted:

Eh if they don't distribute it themselves specifically because it's illegal it seems ill-advised for SA to enable that.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Unless I'm misreading they seem to feel that it would be illegal for them to *sell*, but giving it away is okay? They do distribute it themselves-- just not for money.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Lakitu7 posted:

Unless I'm misreading they seem to feel that it would be illegal for them to *sell*, but giving it away is okay? They do distribute it themselves-- just not for money.
That seems sort of unlikely and it's more an issue of if someone is making money off of piracy it is a much bigger concern for copyright holders than if they are giving it away (particularly if they're giving it away in a very restricted fashion).

JustLikeMe
Jan 9, 2005

het posted:

Eh if they don't distribute it themselves specifically because it's illegal it seems ill-advised for SA to enable that.

This is only because Australia doesn't have fair usage laws like the US and many other countries do - in fact, in Australia you need a license to transfer a recording you yourself made to another medium or you risk a fine! The album being uploaded to a file hosting site and the link shared here would be no more illegal than any of the other mashup albums/tracks linked to in this thread - the same laws that apply to and protect artists such as Girl Talk apply.

As far as I'm aware, the only exception to this rule would be As Heard on Radio Soulwax Part 2 by 2 Many DJs, for which they received permission by every artist sampled to use their material and was released properly - and hence is copywrited to 2 Many DJs.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

het posted:

That seems sort of unlikely and it's more an issue of if someone is making money off of piracy it is a much bigger concern for copyright holders than if they are giving it away (particularly if they're giving it away in a very restricted fashion).

I think that its more of a "if we don't charge $$$ for it, we have a much better shot at winning in court on a fair use defense". Labels are out to get paid, not to protect their intellectual property in regardless of the cost to their business. The reason Girl Talk hasn't been sued isn't because he is under the majors radar, its because he is around 75% likely to win at the SCOUS level. Thus, the likelihood of anyone, especially SA, getting in trouble for distributing a mash-up that was free to begin with is almost nil.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Look, this isn't a filesharing forum, let it go. It isn't that hard to get this poo poo without doing it publicly on this forum. I just checked, it's up on what is by far the most well-known music torrent site, figure it out, okay?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

het posted:

Look, this isn't a filesharing forum, let it go. It isn't that hard to get this poo poo without doing it publicly on this forum. I just checked, it's up on what is by far the most well-known music torrent site, figure it out, okay?

I agree with this. I think that's the best way to go. If it can be found there, that should satisfy the majority. If you don't ask for a copy on SA, you'll be fine.

I understand het's concerns and whilst his decision isn't exactly what we wanted in an ideal world, it makes perfect sense and so I can happily live with that. I won't be linking it on here.

lowphat_strawberry
Jul 31, 2009
Can anyone tell me what they think of this? I released it today, and I'm looking for some feedback:

http://soundcloud.com/dankasaurusrex/babies-getting-tipsy

It's Tipsy by J-Kwon mashed with Justin Bieber's Baby.

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

lowphat_strawberry posted:

Can anyone tell me what they think of this? I released it today, and I'm looking for some feedback:

http://soundcloud.com/dankasaurusrex/babies-getting-tipsy

It's Tipsy by J-Kwon mashed with Justin Bieber's Baby.

You know I usually like what you do, though I'd have to say that this is a slight disappointment. It works & is definitely decent don't get me wrong, I'd have to say it's just not my cup of tea. My personal suggestion would be to work around the parts of the song that work & work it into something bigger like you did with "I <3 Docking"

kill your sons
Aug 29, 2005

Charles V. Forge
Any good Nirvana mixes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Milkman's new album comes out the 25th.

http://www.milkmanmusic.net/intro.cfm