Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I've put around 21k on my Pirelli P Zero Nero all seasons. Still have around 6/32 to 7/32 left. I guess you could try those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

air- posted:

A guy who works at Discount Tire joined our forums and is gonna try and set up a day for our local club :woop:

So I'm eyeballing some new tires and I think I'll move up to 235/40's (stock wheels):
-Ventus v12's (duh)
-General Exclaim UHP
-Sumitomo HTRZ II

Does anyone have any pics of what the 235/40 tires look like on stock wheels vrs what comes stock on the car?

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Other than a small odometer change, slightly lower fuel economy and a higher chance of rubbing if lowered, are their any disadvantages to going up to 235/40/18 from 225/40/18?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I trust these 235s are on the second gen wheels? Putting 235 on the stock first gen wheels is a bad idea.

cmdrpinky
Oct 1, 2003

Picked up my 2011 MS3 yesterday, finally got around to taking some decent pictures of it today.

I've been thoroughly enjoying it so far. It's a major step up from my prior car. ('96 Camry 4cyl AT)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Looks nice, slap a CAI or ram intake and you'll be solid.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Bovine Delight posted:

I trust these 235s are on the second gen wheels? Putting 235 on the stock first gen wheels is a bad idea.

Yeah. I believe the second gen 18s are 18x8.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I think they are 7.5 actually. The gen 1 is definitely 18x7.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Passenger HID on my 07 MS3 GT went out today. A quick google from my phone comes up with nothing but aftermarket garbage. I'm almost certain the owners manual just says to go to a dealer, but gently caress that. Having never dealt with HIDs before, I have no idea where to start - am I looking at a bulb replacement or a ballast failure? Where do I get a replacement? How do I actually replace it?

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

It's probably just the bulb. You may have to pull a cover off the back of the head light assembly. Aside from that it shouldn't be much different from replacing a halogen bulb. You need a HID-D2S bulb, 4300K.

Sylvania 39659 should do you.
http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-39659-D2S-HID-Intensity/dp/B00265FXFY

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ordered, hooray for Prime.

I will say that one HID is still more light than either the two halogens on my Miata, or even my goddamn sealed high beams on my truck.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jan 6, 2011

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips
Hey cool Mazda goons, looking at 2011 MS3 as one of my new car options. Any major issues to look out for, recalls, carbon deposits, etc?

Also, 2010/2011 Speed3 owners - any rattles you had to fix or get fixed? Thanks in advance

Buckeye
Oct 22, 2003
I don't want the world...I just want your half.
I've got a 2010. I'm not aware of any major issues to watch out for. Great car for the price. I have developed a rattle that seems to come and go somewhere in the upper dash near the windshield since it's gotten cold around here. I haven't done anything about it yet.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Buckeye posted:

I've got a 2010. I'm not aware of any major issues to watch out for. Great car for the price. I have developed a rattle that seems to come and go somewhere in the upper dash near the windshield since it's gotten cold around here. I haven't done anything about it yet.

I've got the same one on the right side in my 2010. It's minor. The gauge cluster tends to make a little noise in the cold also. A quick flexing with the hand quiets it down until the next hot/cold cycle.

The steering/suspension will pop occasionally if you're backing down a slope while turning and go over a bump. Again, sounds worse than it is. Will probably be addressed in the future by a TSB.

Be prepared to fight to keep the hatch clean. The nature direct injection and a rich mix for safer turbocharging causes a far amount of soot/carbon to come out the exhaust. This tends to end up in tiny specs on the hatch that are easily wiped away. I recommend The Glosser for quick hatch touch ups. http://www.amazon.com/Glosser-Microfiber-Detailing-Wipes-5-pack/dp/B000BODTZI

Overall, this is the favorite out of all the cars I've ever owned. Some of which being great VWs. It's not as luxurious as the MKVI GTI, but stock for stock it'll spank it every time.

Get the tech pack! I didn't and I regret it. I also regret not waiting for 2011 and getting the tech pack then. I miss a lot of the nice features I had in my Passat 3.6.

Highly recommend this car. Huge performance to dollar ratio.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

I have a MKVI GTI which has/had far too many problems with rattles and electrical stuff, so I'm looking into trading it for something else (sucks that I have to do it early but that's life). The GTI has the same turbo soot thing with exhaust tips, I can polish them to a perfect shine and they'll be black a few hours later.

Right now I'm looking at A3s (although I'm understandably rather reluctant to give any more money to VAG) and MS3. MS3 is way cheaper of course but probably much more harsh in daily driving than A3 w/sports package or a GTI? I test drove one last year, I'll try to go drive one over the weekend.

SynMoo, how many miles do you have on yours so far?

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

An A3 is just another GTI with a different interior. Keep that in mind. You're going to take a huge hit trading it in.

I bought it in mid April 2010 and I've got 12xxx miles on it now. I agree that it's more harsh than either of my GTIs and certainly the Passat, but you get used to it. The first time you take a turn way faster than you thought you ever could, you forget all about it being a little bumpy.

It's great in the winter, too. I've got a second set of wheels with General Altimax Arctics on them. Pretty unstoppable and fun as hell.

Oh, one more gripe.. Fuel economy isn't fantastic. You can tell when I've romped on it.
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/synmoo/speed-3

SynMoo fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 6, 2011

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

SynMoo posted:

An A3 is just another GTI with a different interior. Keep that in mind. You're going to take a huge hit trading it in.

Taking a hit on A3 or GTI? I realize I'll take a hit on trading my GTI in, of course, but I don't feel that it's at all reliable at this point and the rattles are driving me nuts. It's a very schizophrenic car, though - I love the interior, ride quality, handling, the 6-speed... but way too many problems with it just over the first 10k.

I get about 24mpg average right now, 20-22 wouldn't be too bad.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

I meant trading in the GTI.

Oh, that reminds me, the transmission isn't as good as the VWs, but it isn't terrible either. The clutch is a little firm with a very solid engagement point.

Test drive one!

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Oh yeah, does the 2.3 DISI have any problems with carbon deposits?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There have been some pretty gnarly photos of cylinder head intake ports posted, but I don't know how many people are actually seeing problems as a result.

I've had my intercooler and throttle body off a few times now and didn't see anything out of the ordinary, the intake manifold was definitely darker but not to any extreme level.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Picked up my 3MPS today from the dealer after a brand new gearbox fitted. Had only done 35k km, but was making lots of noise and crunching too much. Sounds like a typical MS3 gearbox right? My dealer is awesome. The car feels new again.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
QUESTION: When accelerating on basically level ground, pedal to the floor, middle RPM range between 4,000 and 6,000, what the heck is going on when my car feels like it just sneezed or coughed and lost power for a millisecond? It's done this pretty much since the day I got it, and I've never really understood. It's not chronic, but it occurs often enough that I'm always mindful that it could.

I bought new poo poo! I got me a Corksport FMIC kit and a Cobb XLE bypass valve. I don't know if the BPV will fit as-is, and I don't even really know if it's necessary, but I figured I was spending a shitload of money anyway, why not replace the stock valve for kicks?

Being that I'm pretty lazy and unmotivated in general, I still haven't installed the downpipe and cat I bought like a year ago, but that's all about to change. I ran into a friend of mine from high school who has some space and better tools than me and he seems genuinely excited to tinker around with my car, so I think we can arrange a booze/shop time exchange and get this on the road.

The total list of modifications thereafter will be the Corksport FMIC and TBE, and the Cobb BPV. I'll have a spare Cobb silicone intake and inlet then, so I guess if anyone wants those, they might become available shortly.

With the AP I'll flash to whatever seems like the safest OTS tune and see how that feels. Obviously, I'm going to need to get a proper custom tune in exchange for copious amounts of money, but the wide variety of preconfigured maps for the AP reduces the urgency.

Corksport says with those modifications an upgrade to the cam-driven fuel pump is necessary. I'm thinking I can install and flash and then find out for real if I need to fiddle with the FP, unless anyone here already has some experience with the situation and can give me a confident answer from a user's perspective.

In addition to the CDFP, everyone wants us to delete the balance shaft because it's a detriment to reliability. First of all, is that even true? Secondly, has anyone here done this? As it is the car vibrates a little too much at certain RPM already, and I'd rather not worsen it. On the other hand, some guys at other forums say if you set a 900 RPM instead of 700 RPM idle, it becomes a pretty minor issue. I haven't upgraded my motor mounts yet even though I know I could benefit (shifting gracefully while accelerating hard can sometimes be near-impossible) because I don't want to dump a ton of NVH into the cabin. I like the noise and the extra go-power, but this isn't an Evo and I shouldn't try to fiddle with it like it is. Bottom line: if anyone has any balance-shaft deletion experience with these cars I'd love to hear about it.

I know I can ask these things elsewhere, but gently caress those other forums and the trogs who post to them.

I also bought some new stereo gear because while the stock Bose system isn't awful, it doesn't really play the kind of music I listen to very well. I should say it's characteristics don't really complement any music very well. I went with JL C5-525 and C5-525x speaker sets for the front and rear doors respectively, a JL 10W1v2 subwoofer, and a JL XD700/5 amp. I'm not really audio-savvy and maybe my choices are those of a supreme jackass, but the prices weren't terrible and setup should be pretty easy, and there's no way it won't sound better than the stock stereo, so I can't possibly have effed up too bad there.

It's not extremely powerful or anything, but hopefully it will sound right, and the single 10" should probably do okay mounted behind the rear seat where the stocker goes.

For now, all I have to do is sit here in my house and stare at the wall, patiently awaiting the UPS man who demands my presence and signature, or my FMIC is forfeit.

WT Wally
Feb 19, 2004

Frosty- posted:

... while the stock Bose system isn't awful, it doesn't really play the kind of music I listen to very well. I should say it's characteristics don't really complement any music very well.

I've heard that complaint about Bose systems a lot. Not that they sound bad, just that they make everything sound kind of plain.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Are you sticking with the stock headunit or going with an aftermarket one?

And I assume you're not talking about the feeling like you hit a brick wall when the turbo runs out of air at higher RPMs?

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
There aren't really any acceptable replacement head unit solutions. They're all either Chinese or a form factor that would necessitate a terrible dash kit. The good news is that as far as audio quality the stocker is fine. I don't see why nobody like Alpine makes your basic single- or double-din unit and just treat the Mazda6 trapezoidal button zone like a faceplate.

As for the hiccup under throttle, it's not super dramatic, just noticeable, like if a bubble comes through a hose and it sputters and the flow drops for a split second, if that makes sense to you. The dead zone over 5500 where the turbo runs out of guts feels more permanent.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

^ Boost leak maybe? Check your hoses and vac lines.

The stock headunit is OK, but if you want level it out then amp it, look into something called CleanSweap from JBL. Excellent product and gives you a nice flat curve from any headunit to send to your amps.

For us Gen 2 drivers, keeping the stock headunit is even more important with the Bluetooth and buttons on the steering wheel and all that.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

How would you even swap the headunit in the Gen 2? It all looks pretty much non-removable.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

SynMoo posted:

^ Boost leak maybe? Check your hoses and vac lines.
Will do.

quote:

The stock headunit is OK, but if you want level it out then amp it, look into something called CleanSweap from JBL. Excellent product and gives you a nice flat curve from any headunit to send to your amps.
I'm glad you brought this up. I actually got a CleanSweep too, but came to believe after the order had shipped that it wasn't necessary in my case. People say the head unit outputs a signal that doesn't need that kind of adjusting because all the voodoo EQ fuckery happens in the Bose amp. I'm not sure I truly grok what that means, but since I have the thing anyway, I guess I'll use it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Autism Sundae posted:

How would you even swap the headunit in the Gen 2? It all looks pretty much non-removable.

It's actually quite easy.

How well will your stuff hook up to the Bose system? I know that some of them use different impedance subs or something.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Got some of the weathertech digital fit floormates for Christmas, and they are pretty awesome. My only problem is that the passenger side front mat has no hook or retaining system so it tends to get pushed up into the footwell when you get in. Any ideas to secure it?

Edit: If you replace the 2nd gen headunit does it jack up the buttons and stuff? If you replace the first gen you lose the little LCD screen above it with the temp/etc.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Drill holes for the hooks!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

There is actually a spot that looks like the carpet is partially cutout for a retaining hook like the driver side but I don't know if you can buy a hook that slots in there. I may just have to drill something in there.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You need to go to Japan to buy the JDM hooks. Ganbare!

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Strange. Gen2 has hooks on both sides.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

SynMoo posted:

Strange. Gen2 has hooks on both sides.

About the only thing that I like about the gen2 to be honest. The weathertech mats don't have the hole in them anyways so I'll need to figure that out too.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anyone have a decent write up for a boost gauge install how-to? I was thinking the dside vent but I've never done an install for that.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.
As someone backs into my car this morning at an apparently more than significant speed to dent in the left side of my bumper... I guess it's good news that it's them that is telling me but really? I don't know if I've ever backed out of a spot fast enough I could cause damage... :(

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If you have any questions on the insurance side let me know. Sorry to hear about it.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Soooo, I ended up buying that MS6 that I posted earlier. I am about 1200 miles into it, and love a lot about the car. I also see that there are some things that you will just have to deal with on it.
There are a few things that need to be fixed. I think one clip is broken/missing that holds the front bumper, a fog light is out, there are a couple rock chips on the hood, and a couple of door dings that I can get figured out with a paintless dent repair job. I have a close friend whose family owns a business that does a lot of the touch up work for a few of the larger dealerships in the area and said he can get the car looking back to new for not a lot of :tenbux: which will be cool.

I have concerns about my second gear though. I think that the syncros are going bad. My car is just out of the manufacturer warranty by about 4 months. I have the normal "when the car is cold, second gear takes a fair amount of time to get into", but sometimes, like in parking lots cruising at a normal speed, or slowing down into a corner into a residential area it will just pop out of gear and go into neutral. The bastard of the situation is that it didn't happen at all during the test drive to me or my wife. I am hoping it is not the clutch, but I don't think that having it be the syncros is a much better situation either. There is a warranty through the dealership I got it from, so I will have them look at it when they get my license plates.

Overall, the car is awesome. I love the feeling of forced induction, the AWD has been nice in the snow of Utah as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Make as much stink as possible about the trans. It popping out of gear isn't indicative of a clutch issue.