Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

BobbyDrake posted:

Also, does anyone else dwell about things that they've done wrong? i don't mean things that you've done, say, today, but things you screwed the pooch on years ago, that frankly, don't even matter anymore? That's part of the reason I can't sleep at night, is that when I go to bed, I spend HOURS thinking about poo poo I screwed up in the past. I mean, poo poo I did when I was 12. I'm 32 years old. I'm really making an effort to move past this problem, but I can't help but obsess about mistakes I've made. Anyone else have that problem?

Oooh yeah. It's like your mind just wont shut up. Go see a psychologist who knows about Cognitive Behavioral therapy. It teaches you to see when you're obsessing and how to deal with it. Of course, you also need to be medicated because when your medication is correct, it's actually possible to move on with your life.

It's really common for people with ADHD to beat themselves up, mostly because after years of being a screw up, it's hard to change how you see yourself. I constantly have little mini anxiety attacks when I'm driving thinking of past screw ups. It's not healthy, plain and simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
I just took my first dose a couple minutes ago, y'all :ohdear: I think a couple of you said you take Wellbutrin too. I take the SR variety and it does curb my appetite a bit (not terribly, like.. 1700 calories a day begins to be a pain to get down). Is Adderall going to curb it anymore? I only ate a little block of cheese before I took it. I've been having trouble getting food down my mouth hole lately anyways.

I have two pre-14 y/o memories. One playing spider on the swings with my mom that runs through my brain like a Lifetime Movie flashback and being chased to school by my moms stalker exboyfriend

:stare:

edit: what was the first thing you noticed yourself doing (out of character) after taking your first dose of adderall. Maybe its too soon, but I just caught myself smiling for no reason. I don't particularly smile, ever, and if I do its usually a smirk and then I go back to my.. neutral face. I feel calm. I'm getting teeth-grindy though? is that normal? I used to do Ecstasy a number of years back and you would grind your teeth to poo poo. This is like a 1% severity of that. I can feel a tightness in my jaw.

edit II: teeth grinding is apparently a side effect. I can't obviously shove a binky in my mouth at any given time. Opinions?

:catdrugs:

Edit III: I still love to edit. For anyone who hasn't read Delivered From Distraction and is asking "Do you guys do ___", check it out and read chapter 4. Theres 128 questions worth of "do you go on tangents easily?" "Did you read these questions and go 'Wow! Its like he knows me!!'?" If its not in the Ebook that Qu posted, I can scan it, since it happened to come across my desk while I was at work.

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 31, 2010

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

BobbyDrake posted:

Also, does anyone else dwell about things that they've done wrong? i don't mean things that you've done, say, today, but things you screwed the pooch on years ago, that frankly, don't even matter anymore? That's part of the reason I can't sleep at night, is that when I go to bed, I spend HOURS thinking about poo poo I screwed up in the past. I mean, poo poo I did when I was 12. I'm 32 years old. I'm really making an effort to move past this problem, but I can't help but obsess about mistakes I've made. Anyone else have that problem?

I brought this up to my psychiatrist and she said the word for this is rumination. I used to do this constantly but it went away for the most part after I got some antidepressants.

Aculard posted:

:aaa: I hate that I can't remember the names of the places I've lived or what grades I were in while living in each town. I would love to remember poo poo that wasn't absolutely horrible for a change too.

I have the opposite problem. I remember loving everything except things I want to remember for the immediate future. Things that are absolutely unimportant are the things I will remember. I remember the name of nearly every school I went to as I grew up, I remember the faces of my teachers (not the names for most of them), and I remember other stupid poo poo about that. I remember that my 6th grade teacher smelled of tobacco because he smoked pipes at home. I remember that the burning sensation you get in your muscles while exercising is an anaerobic fermentation process producing lactic acid. I remember being in third grade and having a stupid poetry assignment, and that I wrote some non-rhyming thing about preserving snow in a freezer to make a snowman in the summer, and another classmate wrote about Saddam Hussein.

I can picture just about everything as if it was yesterday, if I have something to prompt my memory. My problem is that I cannot intentionally memorize things by rote, for things like tests and whatnot, and I cannot remember to do things that I plan to do. I can't even remember my work schedule most of the time. If only the things I needed to do had already happened I would be able to remember to do them.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

extraneousXTs posted:

Some disabled people misunderstand FMLA/ADA protections (see it as a break rules for free card) and how it can be applied to their personal case but it comes down to whatever you work out within the laws' framework (if your employer thinks one day/X hours of excused absence a month for medical appointments is a reasonable thing then so be it, etc.)

Those are all good points, thanks.

One of the advantages of the field I work in is that it really doesn't have a set time to come in, so as long as I get there by 11am, all is good. So I just schedule the appointments early on. And no, I don't intend to use it as a 'break rules for free' card, though I have seen others who have.

I have an Orientation Meeting with the HR person (who is nice) on my first day, I may also ask her about ADA stuff in regards to the ADHD/CAPD stuff. I also have an appointment with my Psych soon, so if he needs to write something for them, he can.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
:siren: Trip Report :siren:

TL;DR: :stare: The Pills Are Magic.

Mother of Mary this is wonderful. I took my first pill at 10:30 and my second at 3:00. At 2:30 I went to target to return a gift and I spent the next two hours in the store. I walked around, looked at stuff, read labels, stopped to think if I liked it enough to buy it, touched fabrics, looked at clothes. I don't think I've ever not just ran in and out of a store, grabbing whatever worked. I didn't spend every dime I had on me either, I think it was like ~$35 worth of stuff I actually needed. It was just so.. calm. It was a little unnerving when I'd think about what'd I'd usually do in a store and what I was currently doing, then I'd just shrug it off and go back to shopping. I don't think I've ever shrugged off anything. I didn't even pay attention to the time while I was there and I'm an avid clock watcher. I don't think I checked my phone except for once when it dinged that I had gotten an email.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
While I don't believe I actually had ADD myself, a disinterest in school work and no respect for authority caused my parents to take me to a therapist who said I did. I want to clarify, I'm a yellow-bellied pussy who never broke any serious laws, never did any kind of rebellious activities, just had a sharp tongue and a "you're not the boss of me" attitude.

For eight years I was put on more and more ADD meds by this quack in increasingly larger doses. By year six even my Mom was concerned about the size of the doses. And I sort of became ADHD by way of becoming a minor speed freak.

:words: By year two, I was talking so fast that people were getting mad at me and telling me to slow down. Even the teacher joined in calling me "motormouth."

:rant: By year six, I was often conversing faster than I really had things to converse about. I began instinctively, even trying to suppress it, using the phrase "etcetera, etcetera, etcetera" in my verbal speech to cover for the fact that I talked myself down a path I had no conclusion for, or simply ran out of something to say, or forgot what the point was.

:supaburn: By year eight, I was halfway neurotic and hiding in office closets and bathroom stalls for an hour at a time in order to avoid attending classes. Today, I can not fully explain this behaviour. Other students were telling me that they simply heard every third word of my speech, and filled the other 2/3rds in their head to figure out what I was talking to them about.

I started seeing a second therapist at the school's request. I remember describing that information going through my head felt like the CNBC ticker: back in the 90s, CNBC had a Dow and Nasdaq ticker that moved at different speeds, making it difficult to follow both at once. That resembled a lot of how my brain seemed to run.

The school eventually asked to take me off the drugs, and in less than six months, students were complimenting me on talking at a normal pace and saying they could hold regular conversations with me like they could anybody else.

In the senior year of High School, I met another kid who had more or less the same experience with the same drugs from the same quack.

So in conclusion, be careful if you're diagnosed with ADHD and don't have it. And for the people here who have to live with it as their typical function, I empathize with you. It's pretty awful.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jan 1, 2011

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
I know I'm probably getting annoying with my posting. Day three is the same as day one. Over the last 2 days I've been on/off cleaning my house. Why? Because it needs to be cleaned. Not major stuff, just vacuuming, putting the dishes away, making my bed, every single day. I can't ignore messes anymore.

I've even had multiple people (who don't know I started this medicine) say I'm behaving completely differently. I seem more put together. I actually invited my aunt out shopping yesterday. I've never enjoyed shopping, let alone with other people before. Anyone notice their animals becoming more receptive? My two cats are all over me lately, probably because I actually sit down for more than 2 minutes without getting up to pace.

I feel like one giant roadblock in my life has finally been broken down and I can tackle everything else now.

:unsmith:

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Angry Diplomat posted:

I seriously considered taking a double-dose this morning, but I figured that popping 60mg of amphetamines without consulting a doctor was potentially not the best choice.

I dunno, I've gotten in the bad habit of double dosing a 40mg XR. I read a bit of a thread for people abusing adhd medication elsewhere on the forums and some people are taking like...240mg for recreational purposes.

People are crazy hahah.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

...what?

People, don't you think it is IMPORTANT to consult your drat doc on these matters? If your dose isn't cutting it anymore, shouldn't he or she be informed about this and actually in co-operation with him/her try something else? Like take a break from the meds or whatever.

At the least tell your doc what you are doing, so they are AWARE of it. It's tougher for them to help you if you just go your own way, as they have no idea what you're doing.

:v: "Doc, my current dosage isn't working anymore, I need your advice"
:science: "...I see. Well I suppose we could go from 20 to 30"
:v: "I'm already over that"
:stare: "..."

Stay safe, guys. :ohdear:

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

2508084 posted:

I know I'm probably getting annoying with my posting. Day three is the same as day one. Over the last 2 days I've been on/off cleaning my house. Why? Because it needs to be cleaned. Not major stuff, just vacuuming, putting the dishes away, making my bed, every single day. I can't ignore messes anymore.

I've even had multiple people (who don't know I started this medicine) say I'm behaving completely differently. I seem more put together. I actually invited my aunt out shopping yesterday. I've never enjoyed shopping, let alone with other people before. Anyone notice their animals becoming more receptive? My two cats are all over me lately, probably because I actually sit down for more than 2 minutes without getting up to pace.

I feel like one giant roadblock in my life has finally been broken down and I can tackle everything else now.

:unsmith:

It's all good, post all you want. It's a pretty big thing to go through, and I know I'd rather have you posting on here and getting our input than being confused and overwhelmed. That being said, a lot of this obsession with cleaning will go away in a week. You'll still be able to actually focus and clean, but once your body gets used to the speed, you calm down a lot.

True dat, Mindblast. You're paying your psychiatrist to help you, if you aren't telling them everything, you're only loving yourself over. And if someone is taking 240mg for 'fun', you're no longer just an 'innocent' recreational user, you have to be a meth addict.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Effexxor posted:

a lot of this obsession with cleaning will go away in a week. You'll still be able to actually focus and clean, but once your body gets used to the speed, you calm down a lot.

Its not an obsession with cleaning, my place is just really dirty. I don't clean for hours on end or anything, I just do the dishes as appropriate, wipe down the stove after cooking, normal people type of cleaning :)

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Yeah, definitely call your doc if the current dosage isn't working anymore. Even if you leave a message with the nurse or receptionist. Because eventually, you may run out of pills, and be completely out while waiting for the next refill, and then consequently be in a world of hurt.

SD: Saw your next post. Awesome with the doctor thing, and apologies if this felt like a pileon.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 4, 2011

extraneousXTs
May 4, 2004

Aculard posted:

I dunno, I've gotten in the bad habit of double dosing a 40mg XR. I read a bit of a thread for people abusing adhd medication elsewhere on the forums and some people are taking like...240mg for recreational purposes.

PeopleDruggies are crazy hahah.

XR releases differently in your system than IR versions (kinda the entire point), so you're not really dosing yourself with the equiv of 80mg XR but rather have two XR tablets dissolving in their own wacky peak and spike rate at the same time giving you even more rollercoaster stupid fun and I cannot imagine what that means for building a resistance to the drug you need to function. Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, just holy poo poo :psyduck: See your loving doctor already.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Mindblast posted:

People, don't you think it is IMPORTANT to consult your drat doc on these matters? If your dose isn't cutting it anymore, shouldn't he or she be informed about this and actually in co-operation with him/her try something else?

No, I am a person of such staggering, phenomenal stupidity that I never even considered that. I also sincerely believed that nothing negative could arise from uninformed self-medication. :v:

Yes, obviously I am consulting my doctor! I have an appointment made already and am sticking with the lovely, overpriced, ineffectual dosage I'm on until I can talk with him.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Qu Appelle posted:

Those are all good points, thanks.

One of the advantages of the field I work in is that it really doesn't have a set time to come in, so as long as I get there by 11am, all is good. So I just schedule the appointments early on. And no, I don't intend to use it as a 'break rules for free' card, though I have seen others who have. .

drat you are lucky! That flexibility is perfect for someone with ADHD. I hope you've taken your boss aside to tell him your poo poo. That's such a rough issue because you don't want like special treatment that'll alienate you from your co-workers and poo poo. It's rough enough without being loving singled out.

That poo poo is tough for me. It's really rough for me to get along with people. it turns out I'm not a sociopath with ADD, but I have ADD and schizoid personality disorder. My psych recommended I go to social skills training. That is loving embarrassing as HELL.

Man, I'm embarrassed to have even posted a few times in this thread.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

I wouldn't feel embarrassed about posting in this thread at all - I consider it a bit of a 'safe space' for us to talk about any and all ADHD issues. :glomp:

And I haven't had a chance to talk with anyone yet; I start on Wednesday. I'll talk to the HR person then. And with attendance, it may be a little more strict then originally envisioned; in the Employment Handbook, it says that Core Hours are 9am to 3pm. So basically, I need to be there by 9am. However, it won't be a situation where if I'm not in my seat and working by 9:01 am, I get written up (which I have had with past jobs). I just can't waltz in at noon and work until 9pm as my 'working shift'. Which I can live with.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
I have a couple other issues with the ADD, but I think a regimented system like "You have to be here at X!" is going to do me well. Starting next week, I have to be up at 5:30AM to get to the gym then work by 8:30. Work until 1:30, bus for an hour, get to class at 2:50 then bus home at 5. That gives me four hours of spare time per day before I'm in bed. Thats four days a week + Saturdays I have to be up at 6AM to be at work for an 8 hour shift.

The "no leeway" sort of schedule is actually making me feel calmer about the next couple months. :) Don't feel embarrassed about talking about problems either. If no one talked, nothing would get fixed.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Yo ADD thread. I'm 20 years old now. And ever since about age 14 I've been pretty confident that I must have ADD. School was a special kind of hell. In elementary school I couldn't handwrite very well, I had consistently terrible handwriting, so my parents got me checked out by a professional child psych a few times. She diagnosed me with dysgraphia. It's basically a very mild miscommunication between the left/right brain and my coordination, which pretty explicitly results in funny handwriting, I have met other people with Dysgraphia, and their hand writing is almost exactly like mine. I digress!

Ever since I can remember I've had to cope or die with my inability to pay attention in class. My teachers always considered me bright as hell, and I was charming, so I got away with a lot of poo poo as long as I turned in my work semi-regularly. I was learning to program of my own initiative in 6th grade and could type like a demon, but I couldn't listen, I couldn't focus or really train my attention on anything that was anything less than inherently interesting, which was rarely school related.

Reading through this thread is like staring in a mirror, and I've also read the first half of a book called "Driven to Distraction" which is a collection of case studies of adults and children with ADD, I empathized and related with every single person's struggles. I just feel like I lucked out and was very emotionally stable and also personally driven through school, while also clever enough to bullshit my way through all my classes.

I would tell my parents about my concerns every now and then, like how for the last week I had found myself absolutely unable to even hear what the teachers were saying at some points. Staring right at them, screaming in my head "why can't I hear you, you are talking, there is sound, but something is flipped, I CANT HEAR YOU gently caress YOU BRAAAAIN". I'd just pretend to listen, doodle a lot (coincidentally I got pretty good at drawing!), or just pretend to "follow along" with the class in the book but just be reading ahead or reading whatever the gently caress looked interesting.

But after elementary school my dad didn't have a job really and we were pretty broke all the time. I'd bring it up over and over but it was just "yeah we'll look at it sometime" but it never came around, and I was aware we were having money problems so I imagine it was just the lack of insurance/pocket money to throw at a psych who will just give me a prescription for meds we wont be able to afford + therapy we wont be able to afford.

I've done an okay job at coping so far, but some of the things Qu Appelle brought up rung true with some stress I've been having lately with work. (before you ask: no I don't make nearly enough money to even think about affording a psych/therapy/specific visit about this) I do a loving drat good job for what I'm given. But lately the responsibilities are numerous, I feel myself slipping, and my boss is an conservative old guy in his late 60's, and I have no real protections without a diagnosis.

tldr + closing:
Basically I'm broke and not sure how to address what I can't see as anything but ADD from my perspective. I'm thinking of re-enrolling at the community college and getting financial aid, which might get me student health services, but I think you have to take a certain amount of classes to qualify for the aid, and I'm paranoid that if I take the necessary amount of classes to qualify, I'll be unable to balance the coursework in time for my ADD bullshit to sort itself out and it will just blow up in my face.

I could write paragraphs upon paragraphs that describe my inability to; focus, do things I "want" to get done, pay attention and really hear when people are talking to me with my full "attention", my amazing concentration and devotion when I get in the mood to work on something I'm passionate about, but I think you all know it already.

I'm lost and confused :( and have lots of :words: for you.

edit:

Doesn't help that the friends I'd trust most with these kinds of concerns explicitly don't believe ADD is real and have told me so on multiple occasions. I've tried to explain to them the basic psych principles behind human behavior and how you can't just will-power your way out of your patterns and internal systems. But in the end I kind of went along with the doubt that ADD might not be real and I just need to man up. It's reaching 'disorder' status in my life though, everything is a mess in one way or another and I can't get a grip or catch a break, and nothing I'm doing it consistently making it better.

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 4, 2011

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Hi! Welcome to the thread!

First of all, I'm making the assumption that you're in the US. Please correct me if you're not. Here's some ideas off the top of my head:

You mentioned that you were in school last week - are you still in school, or was that the end of the term? (Or were you talking about an episode in the past?) If you're in school now, (or even last week), see if they have some sort of clinic to visit. The other option might be a Disabled Student Services division.

If you're not in school, or they don't have a clinic, there should be low-income clinics to see a GP at. It may not be the best solution, but the GP may be able to diagnose and treat it, or know of low-cost Psych clinics that you may be able to get in contact with. Same with universities, with teaching students.

One third option could be the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation in your state. As it seems that you have an untreated disability that interferes with your work, and it's really in the best interest for you to keep working, they may be able to help you with resources for that. When I had a muscle condition affect my eyes (and thus my ability to drive), I got plugged into DVR, and they gave me a bunch of eye exams, free of charge.

One last option I could think of is to see if there's a branch of CHADD in the area; contact them and they may have resources for you to check out. Good luck!

Oh, and your friends who don't believe that ADHD exists? Probably not a true set of friends. Perhaps I'm old and cranky, but I have no use for non-supportive people like that in my life.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

2508084 posted:

edit II: teeth grinding is apparently a side effect. I can't obviously shove a binky in my mouth at any given time. Opinions?

:catdrugs:

Altoids or other breath mints. Or gum, though I hate gum. I take breath mints when I feel this effect come on with my :catdrugs:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Qu Appelle posted:

You mentioned that you were in school last week - are you still in school, or was that the end of the term?

End of term, I have some financial reasons for not being in school right this second (didn't qualify for any aid the last semester I took for tax/dependency reasons, can't waive those old fees, have to give the school like $350 I don't have before I can take classes again and have my financial aids mean anything etc, and use the clinic)

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
This is going to sound melodramatic, but I am so excited right now.

I've read through the thread and I've seen a ton of parallels. It seems like almost everything said has applied to me.

I've spent so long wondering wtf was wrong with me. I'm going to try to get myself to a doctor, asap.

Now I'm all wired up and can't sleep!

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Haerc posted:

Now I'm all wired up and can't sleep!

Drink a pot of coffee :buddy:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

On that note: to any other coffee addicts in this thread, if you've been drinking cheap, lovely, or (Christ forbid) instant coffee, stop. Go to the store and buy a tin of good-quality coffee. I switched from horrible instant coffee to a blend that I actually enjoy drinking, and I've had way less trouble with headaches and indigestion ever since. Since I feel better, I can think more clearly as well.

Maybe it's some kind of crazy placebo bullshit, but god drat, the difference is remarkable. I still sleep like poo poo and get irritable every morning, but at least I can concentrate a little better.

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

extraneousXTs posted:

XR releases differently in your system than IR versions (kinda the entire point), so you're not really dosing yourself with the equiv of 80mg XR but rather have two XR tablets dissolving in their own wacky peak and spike rate at the same time giving you even more rollercoaster stupid fun and I cannot imagine what that means for building a resistance to the drug you need to function. Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, just holy poo poo :psyduck: See your loving doctor already.

You're forgetting that the last time I did that the doctor decided to put me on ritalin, then get angry at me for not liking the ritalin and take me off everything while calling me a drug addict :v:

I genuinely do not feel the adderall XR works for me but I can only get refills and try to beg the walk in clinic doctors for a slightly higher dose.

That is pretty interesting about the XR though. Also I'm only taking 20mg a day and sometimes 40mg, not 80mg. I tried 60mg once and that was just not something I am going to do ever again.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

On that note: to any other coffee addicts in this thread, if you've been drinking cheap, lovely, or (Christ forbid) instant coffee, stop. Go to the store and buy a tin of good-quality coffee. I switched from horrible instant coffee to a blend that I actually enjoy drinking, and I've had way less trouble with headaches and indigestion ever since. Since I feel better, I can think more clearly as well.

Maybe it's some kind of crazy placebo bullshit, but god drat, the difference is remarkable. I still sleep like poo poo and get irritable every morning, but at least I can concentrate a little better.

Nope, not at all.

Better yet, brew it with a Cold Brew method. You get this highly caffeinated sludge you can dilute (or not :black101: ) without all the horrible acid chewing up your stomach.

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Qu Appelle posted:

Nope, not at all.

Better yet, brew it with a Cold Brew method. You get this highly caffeinated sludge you can dilute (or not :black101: ) without all the horrible acid chewing up your stomach.

I am going to have to look into this because I love drinking hot chocolate/coffee mix with a bit of milk and am so drat tired of gross stomach acid.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I am really sorry if I offended anyone, that is really not my intend. Getting addicted to anything can be tough to deal with, and if it happened with something you took to help you out that idea alone makes it a tad worse somehow.

Especially since finding the right ADHD meds is a EUREKA moment for many people, letting it devolve into a situation worse than their starting point is just a terrible thought. :(

Angry Diplomat posted:

No, I am a person of such staggering, phenomenal stupidity that I never even considered that. I also sincerely believed that nothing negative could arise from uninformed self-medication. :v:

Yes, obviously I am consulting my doctor!

I really wasn't questioning your intelligence, sorry if I came across that way. This forum can usually be read by non-members, so I thought it wouldn't harm to note it down just in case. On my quest to learn as much as possible about the different types of meds, one of the many things I googled was "amphetamines with x", x being things like painkillers, coffee etc.

...you wouldn't believe the sheer amount of crazy. Tons and tons of posts of uninformed people asking about the risk of all sorts of suicidal combinations with their final post being ":downswords: Derp derp I'm gonna do it anywaaaaaaaaay"

Aculard posted:

You're forgetting that the last time I did that the doctor decided to put me on ritalin, then get angry at me for not liking the ritalin and take me off everything while calling me a drug addict :v:

I genuinely do not feel the adderall XR works for me but I can only get refills and try to beg the walk in clinic doctors for a slightly higher dose.

That is pretty interesting about the XR though. Also I'm only taking 20mg a day and sometimes 40mg, not 80mg. I tried 60mg once and that was just not something I am going to do ever again.

First of all, that is one crap situation. It explains a lot really.

Is there nothing that can be done against this? Maybe a different doctor. You know you're not an addict and they would suspect you are, so there isn't a trust relationship and how the hell is that beneficial? Or taking breaks from the meds even for a tad to reset your resistance?

Or alternatively, ask your doc if it's okay to take breaks from the med so they work better when you do take them. Wouldn't that show that you're here for the treatment and not the drug, by wanting better results through pauses instead of taking more?

And again, sorry if I made anyone pop a vein. I need to work on how I word things. :saddowns:

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Mindblast posted:

And again, sorry if I made anyone pop a vein. I need to work on how I word things. :saddowns:

Some doctors just don't want to hear it. It took me two years with the same psychiatrist to get prescribed stimulants. Two years seeing him bi-monthly. Then again, this program is really hosed up and about to be shut down by the government for a number of felonies so YMMV.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Brain scans show children with ADHD have faulty off-switch for mind-wandering:

quote:

Brain scans of children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) have shown for the first time why people affected by the condition sometimes have such difficulty in concentrating. The study, funded by the Wellcome Trust, may explain why parents often say that their child can maintain concentration when they are doing something that interests them, but struggles with boring tasks.

Using a 'Whac-a-Mole' style game, researchers from the Motivation, Inhibition and Development in ADHD Study (MIDAS) group at the University of Nottingham found evidence that children with ADHD require either much greater incentives – or their usual stimulant medication – to focus on a task. When the incentive was low, the children with ADHD failed to "switch off" brain regions involved in mind-wandering. When the incentive was high, however, or they were taking their medication, their brain activity was indistinguishable from a typically-developing non-ADHD child.

ADHD is the most common mental health disorder in childhood, affecting around one in 50 children in the UK. Children with ADHD are excessively restless, impulsive and distractible, and experience difficulties at home and in school. Although no cure exists for the condition, symptoms can be reduced by medication and/or behavioural therapy. The drug methylphenidate (more often known by the brand name Ritalin) is commonly used to treat the condition.

Previous studies have shown that children with ADHD have difficulty in 'switching-off' the default mode network (DMN) in their brains. This network is usually active when we are doing nothing, giving rise to spontaneous thoughts or 'daydreams', but is suppressed when we are focused on the task before us. In children with ADHD, however, it is thought that the DMN may be insufficiently suppressed on 'boring' tasks that require focused attention.

The MIDAS group researchers compared brain scans of eighteen children with ADHD, aged between nine and fifteen years old, against scans of a similar group of children without the condition as both groups took part in a task designed to test how well they were able to control their behaviour. The children with ADHD were tested when they were taking their methylphenidate and when they were off their medication. The findings are published in the Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry.

Whilst lying in a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scanner, which can be used to measure activity in the brain, the children played a computer game in which green aliens were randomly interspersed with less frequent black aliens, each appearing for a short interval. Their task was to 'catch' as many green aliens as possible, while avoiding catching black aliens. For each slow or missed response, they would lose one point; they would gain one point for each timely response.

To study the effect of incentives, the reward for avoiding catching the black alien was then increased to five points, with a five-point penalty incurred for catching the wrong alien.

By studying the brain scans, the researchers were able to show that typically developing children switched off their DMN network whenever they saw an item requiring their attention. However, unless the incentive was high, or they had taken their medication, the children with ADHD would fail to switch off the DMN and would perform poorly. This effect of incentives was not seen in children without ADHD – activity in their DMN was switched off by items requiring their attention regardless of the incentive on offer.

Professor Chris Hollis, who led the study, says: "The results are exciting because for the first time we are beginning to understand how in children with ADHD incentives and stimulant medication work in a similar way to alter patterns of brain activity and enable them to concentrate and focus better. It also explains why in children with ADHD their performance is often so variable and inconsistent, depending as it does on their interest in a particular task."

Dr Martin Batty, co-author of the study, adds: "Using brain imaging, we have been able to see inside the children's heads and observe what it is about ADHD that is stopping them concentrating. Most people are able to control their 'daydreaming' state and focus on the task at hand. This is not the case with children with ADHD. If a task is not sufficiently interesting, they cannot switch off their background brain activity and they are easily distracted. Making a task more interesting – or providing methylphenidate – turns down the volume and allows them to concentrate."

Dr Elizabeth Liddle, first author of the study, says that these findings help explain one of the interesting characteristics of ADHD – that children with the condition appear able to control themselves much better when motivated to do so.

"The common complaint about children with ADHD is that 'he can concentrate and control himself fine when he wants to', so some people just think the child is being naughty when he misbehaves," says Dr Liddle. "We have shown that this may be a very real difficulty for them. The off-switch for their 'internal world' seems to need a greater incentive to function properly and allow them to attend to their task."

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I like how that basically boils down to some scientists finding out that children with ADD are incapable of concentrating on anything that doesn't interest them, a fact that has been widely known for quite some time. :v: I'm not coming down on the researchers, though; it's really important to establish an empirically sound body of knowledge in any subject, and this is no exception. Hopefully this will contribute to a better understanding of the disorder, and perhaps a reduction in the ignorance and misinformation that usually surround it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Angry Diplomat posted:

I like how that basically boils down to some scientists finding out that children with ADD are incapable of concentrating on anything that doesn't interest them, a fact that has been widely known for quite some time.

Agreed, but what's important here is that they can see how exactly that plays out in the brain.

Pilot to Gunner
Aug 21, 2009

That's what you get, you get fork stabbed.

Pilot to Gunner fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 13, 2018

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Pilot to Gunner posted:

Heyyy it sounds like your shrink is hesitant to prescribe meds and I also noticed that you post in the low carb thread lately. Just a word of caution that both stimulant medications and low carbing will make you lose weight at an extremely rapid pace initially and seeing a sudden, drastic drop in weight the first month might lead to your psychiatrist stopping your prescription. This happened to my roommate (except she went vegan, not low carb) and she wasn't allowed to resume a medication regiment until she regained some weight and didn't lose more than X number of pounds a month. Something to consider if your doctor is conservative with prescriptions and unfamiliar with your diet.

Edit- Not saying to stop either, just that you might want to make sure your doctor knows that you are changing your diet at the same time :)

Urgh this loving poo poo right here. I just bought some more weights and an actual bar to work out at home and I'm eating so little I'm nearly passing out from doing a few 70-80lb dead lifts. Benchpressing? No problem, put that loving weight on there until my arms collapse (not long at 60-70lbs). Try to do anything else? I hope you like shaking around and feeling dizzy for an hour! This is why it's so frustrating being on the extended release. By the time it starts wearing off I'm asleep and ate maybe a banana and 6 dumplings for the whole day.

short version: whine whine bitch bitch

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Pilot to Gunner posted:

Heyyy it sounds like your shrink is hesitant to prescribe meds and I also noticed that you post in the low carb thread lately. Just a word of caution that both stimulant medications and low carbing will make you lose weight at an extremely rapid pace initially and seeing a sudden, drastic drop in weight the first month might lead to your psychiatrist stopping your prescription. This happened to my roommate (except she went vegan, not low carb) and she wasn't allowed to resume a medication regiment until she regained some weight and didn't lose more than X number of pounds a month. Something to consider if your doctor is conservative with prescriptions and unfamiliar with your diet.

Edit- Not saying to stop either, just that you might want to make sure your doctor knows that you are changing your diet at the same time :)

My psych knows I'm on an exercise plan to get down to a healthy weight. I still force the calories down my throat through protein shakes ensuring that I hit 1700/day so I won't just randomly drop 25lbs :) That would be nice, but also unsafe and unhealthy.

Thank you for the concern though, I hadn't even thought of it. I've been low carb for a while too. Thats how the first 20lbs came off. :D

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Remember me mentioning that I was starting a new job, and that I should talk to HR about possible ADHD accommodations right when I start?

We no longer have a permanent HR person. Her last day was yesterday. On my first day.

:geno:

And the substitute HR person? Went on this great little whinge on how she 'cured' her son's hyperactivity with organic food! (And this was not prompted by any ADHD talk by me, she just really REALLY likes the organic grocery store across the street from our office park).

:geno: :geno: :geno:

Now, I'm a crunchy granola with hippie moments who loves organic food, hugging trees, and generally saving the Earth. However, I also love my motherfucking :catdrugs: - which fortunately seem to be doing wonders with this new position.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 7, 2011

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
I'd definitely wait for a new HR person.

In other news, my cuntbitch of a therapist (not the psychiatrist I was talking about earlier) used a couple loaded questions on me today. "Do you feel like the adderall makes you go faster? Stay more awake?"

No. It makes me normal. I can do things, concentrate on a book, control my impulses. Everyone at work is still commenting on how together and 'collected' I am now. :)

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

2508084 posted:

I'd definitely wait for a new HR person.

Oh, definitely. The current one can't figure out how I'm to get work badge, or even if I need one :wtc: . I'm not talking to her about ADA stuff unless I seriously have to.

I'm waiting until someone else comes in before broaching these topics. Fortunately, the work environment is a lot more relaxed than the last one, and also a lot more organized. And I'll get to go really deep into one project, instead of having to pay attention to a squillion of them at once. So already it's better.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
whoa you guys are trying to be vegan and take prescription stims? 1700 calories a day?

I have a fast metabolism, and I rock at least 4000 calories a day. Anything less than like 2500 and I feel like poo poo and can't concentrate on anything.

Seriously you need to eat or you wont be able to think!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

cloudstrife2993 posted:

whoa you guys are trying to be vegan and take prescription stims? 1700 calories a day?

I have a fast metabolism, and I rock at least 4000 calories a day. Anything less than like 2500 and I feel like poo poo and can't concentrate on anything.

Seriously you need to eat or you wont be able to think!

If I eat anymore than 1700 a day I balloon up into a gross sphere resembling a human being.

poo poo sucks a lot right now. I'm running into financial difficulty and my husband is basically taking the stance that if I can't make rent and the extra money to cover bills (at least 800$ this month) then I'm getting kicked out. Oh, and I can't write under his name anymore because he might not get an extra 2k in student loans for september from the government :downs: It's just argh. I don't even know what to say other than I wish he'd understand that "just try harder" doesn't apply. I just want a doctor to help me fill out the disability paperwork and help me with my medication. Even if I started to get disability I would be sooo tempted to leave him because it's just so frustrating to be with him. Everytime I don't make money or I feel sick/depressed/sleep for 20 hours he gets all lovely and gives me the silent treatment.

Sorry for the E/N rant but I'm honestly at a loss. I've already lived on welfare before, couchsurfed, spent time in a homeless shelter and did sex work for money to keep myself afloat but at this point I just want to give up.