Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

What about putting in a basement? I mean, it wouldn't cost all that much to dig out the ground, and the concrete is pretty cheap, all things considered. Then you could put your toilet and shower in there for at least a semblance of privacy. Plus a little extra storage couldn't hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Leaving out the no permit thing and the shitter in the kitchen thing, why do you want to have a tiny miniature house right next to what I assume is a regular house?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

If you leave the basement out of the equation, then you can move it later.

Which may or may not be necessary once "The Man" finds out about it.

Keebler
Aug 21, 2000
Yeah, I would at least consider maybe moving the shower and toilet to a separate outdoor structure. In addition to the issues with the toilet, you're going to turn that place into a sauna unless you take cold showers.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Slung Blade posted:

I think its a shared (or hopefully co-operative) living arrangement so the OP wants to be able to live with the cool awesome people, but you know not actually live with them.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Slung Blade posted:

considering he's pouring a slab-on-grade, and it's not engineered to be picked up and moved (it would need serious cross-bracing), no, you can't move it later... or, at least - you *shouldn't* :)

regarding a basement - the cost goes beyond just concrete. you need proper drainage around the footings, not to mention waterproofing, insulation, etc. and if you have a high water table you probably want an engineer involved - hydrostatic pressure is a real bitch

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Keebler posted:

Yeah, I would at least consider maybe moving the shower and toilet to a separate outdoor structure.

come on, there's nothing quick like taking a stinky dump and wiping your rear end while your beloved is making dinner (not to mention having the smell mix with the cooking aromas)

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Well one of the upsides of spending a bunch of money to construct your own prison cell is that you'll eventually be forced to demolish it which by that time I imagine will be quite a relief.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
Even RVs keep the shitter in a separate room. The walls don't have to be thick, but I'd strongly advise that there be walls, along with some sort of window or vent fan. In fact, use a RV bathroom as a starting point in your design, they're made to be super small.

Also, I'd consider a couch-bed or murphy bed instead of the loft. What if you hurt your leg and can't climb the ladder? Plus, you then get to use the loft/attic as storage, which you have a severe lack of. Where are you hanging your clothes?

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Panzerschwein posted:

Also, I'd consider a couch-bed or murphy bed instead of the loft. What if you hurt your leg and can't climb the ladder? Plus, you then get to use the loft/attic as storage, which you have a severe lack of. Where are you hanging your clothes?

A Murphy Bed also has a significant cool-factor associated with it, if you use a faux-bookcase facade.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
The key description of that sketch was "rough", it's by no means comprehensive or final. The bathroom will be walled in. Storage has not been drawn in.

Because there is not enough setback to the property lines and it is below the minimum square footage, a habitable structure would not be permitted by the city. Greywater and composting toilets would also not be permitted. I'm just leaving it at that and as advised, removed mention and not discussing it on the blog.

Composting toilets are odorless when managed properly. Most commercial models have heaters which evaporate water (too much moisture=stink) and active exhausts vented to the outside

Basement isn't feasible because of the high water table and the expense and complication. Digging this fairly shallow trench was hard enough I don't even want to imagine what hand digging a basement would be like (no access for machinery). Basements seem extremely uncommon in temperate climates. Makes sense though if you already have to dig down 4' to below the frost line

I personally prefer the sleeping loft. I don't like the idea of reorienting the space everyday. In the case I'm injured (who thinks like this?!) I can sleep on the couch or an air mattress.

dwoloz fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 12, 2011

Scarboy
Jan 31, 2001

Good Luck!
That project reminds of the 182 square foot apartment this guy designed. http://trendland.net/2010/09/13/steve-sauers-182-square-foot-apartment/

He layered the hell of out of the place to get the most space possible.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also, don't forget this awesome tiny apartment: http://www.smartplanet.com/technology/blog/science-scope/gary-changs-small-apartment-becomes-24-rooms-video/1399/

Face Of Bear
Oct 29, 2004
When building small, look to the Japanese.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh1NAJtebXU

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Still kind of curious about the "why" and "what about later, when you have to tear it down" parts of the whole deal

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Well, as for the later bit, at least you'll only need one garbage truck to haul it away.

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

I'm ready for the zombie invasion, are you?

Wayne Gretzky posted:

Still kind of curious about the "why" and "what about later, when you have to tear it down" parts of the whole deal

Itty bitty house + full size trebuchet == someone else's problem.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

I live in a small house and one thing I have never ever thought is God drat I Wish I Had a Different, other, Even Smaller rear end house to poo poo and Cook in

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I'd never want to live in one of those, but building it just to say I could would be fun. It could also be used temporarilly when your wife's on the rag or what have you.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
You should really start your own thread as it's not only quite interesting but controversial as well :)

Ignore the :goonsay: and take away from the truly helpful posts and you should come out ahead.

punkr0csux
May 1, 2008
You could also try to build some the of furniture here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAa6bOWB8qY

El Bano
Mar 30, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

Installed an over-the-range microwave. Overall it was painless aside from the top mounting holes being slightly off on the supplied template. $99 at Home Depot, good enough for me.

I just did the same thing and I think it's a requirement that all templates be off by half a centimeter or so. The only major issue I ran into was the fact that I had to cut the cabinet previously above the stove in half so that the microwave would fit.

SLE
Apr 10, 2005
is not here
Hello all! First time posting here so I'm not sure(I kind of am) if this is where I should be placing this so I'll try and let's see what happens~

Recently a brother of my friend went to college and left a ton of clothes behind which their family started selling and I got to get some stuff for free(:woop:)

There was some never-worn PVC/pleather brown jacket he left there that fits me kinda small and is thin but hey looks like something I could totally try to customize since it's very plain.

Thing is, a button already fell off because it kinda ripped and seems flimsy. My girl knows how to sow and knit and dye and has a bunch of things she can do to it and I have some awesome patches and racing stripes I would like to add but I'm just wondering if I'm going to ruin it in the process. Seems like leather dye would be a waste since it's not real leather.

Anyone else know how to work this material? All I've read are people just ruining the material since it seems cheap and at this point we're just thinking of saying gently caress it and going for it and coloring it black and trying different areas for different ways of coloring(read about people using sharpies/spray paint/leather dye) and just doing everything we want to it and if it doesn't work out oh well we got it free for project use. But I don't want to mess this up since it never gets that cold here so a real leather thick jacket is out of the question, plus my buddy wants to see how it turns out.

(Found the jacket model picture guess it's from Dillards. Here's a pic)

Click here for the full 639x776 image.

Fake Edit: Sorry for bringing sowing/fashion stuff into this big manly thread of building and powertool projects, or if I'm doing this whole "hey my project!" thing wrong without actually having started on it, but I don't want it to go to waste and want it to turn out rad and show it off because I could really see this turning awesome.

SLE fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 15, 2011

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I think you'll get a better response/advice in here

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2701891

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008
I spent most of the weekend on my latest project; an ammunition counter like the ones on the pulse rifles in Aliens. It's not quite finished yet and still has a few bugs, but it counts down like it should (if you go slow) and loads a preset ammunition count (most of the time). I need to wait for some more parts to come in now.

Boring boring details:

On the top breadboard going from left to right we have; two BCD rotary switches for setting the value the counter starts at ("ammunition count"), two CD74HC192E BCD up/down decade counters, two CD4511BE BCD to 7 segment decoders, and two 7 segment displays. Power is provided by two AA batteries (for now).

On the lower breadboard the button all the way on the left decrements the counter by one, the middle button resets everything to zero, and the button all the way on the right loads the starting number from the two rotary switches.

In practice theory the decrement button would be actuated by the movement of the firearm's bolt / slide, the reset button would be actuated when the magazine is removed, and the load button would be actuated when a new magazine is inserted. Also the two rotary switches would remain accessible to enable different ammunition amounts to be selected. Obviously something more robust would be needed for real firearms; I'll look into that.

The future:

After I get all the bugs worked out I'd like to try and make the whole package smaller, probably by mounting everything on some perfboard. Once it's small enough I can then attach it to an airsoft gun and figure out where to place all the switches. Also I think there's some contact bounce on the decrement button, so some alternative actuation method might have to be found (Hall sensor and a small magnet maybe). Finally I would like to look into saving battery power; modulating the displays would probably help a lot, and I think the CD4511BE decoders have that function built in.

DethMarine21 fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 19, 2013

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
So do you own an airsoft MG-42?

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
I straightline ripped a bunch of scrap oak the other night at 5/8" thick to test build a couple vlam longboards.

I used mostly tiger stripe pieces in this one and glued it to piece of birch plywood.
It might not bet the most advanced and stable thing when finished but it's going to look kickin rad.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

coltron4040 posted:

It might not bet the most advanced and stable thing when finished but it's going to look kickin rad.
What will you be using them for?

Are you concerned about the oak expanding and contracting while glued to the plywood? Seems like it would rip itself apart.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

wormil posted:

What will you be using them for?

Are you concerned about the oak expanding and contracting while glued to the plywood? Seems like it would rip itself apart.

I really don't know if they will get much use anytime soon, unless I move to warmer climates. We got 4 inches of snow the other day.

I was really just wondering if it was even possible at all. It might be a exercise if futility and not be a useable design. It has a camber and a concave built into it and that is going to put a lot of stress on the glue joints and so wood glue might not be strong enough.
I might fiber glass it once I get the design cut, but other then that I really just needed a project to keep my self busy from the massive amounts of boredom I have been suffering lately.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Ah, Google tells me a long board is a skateboard. As a woodworker I was taking it literally.

Pvt. Benedetto
Jul 1, 2007

Bikes!

Scarboy posted:

That project reminds of the 182 square foot apartment this guy designed. http://trendland.net/2010/09/13/steve-sauers-182-square-foot-apartment/

He layered the hell of out of the place to get the most space possible.

Does anyone know what that gaping while hole/tube is in the last photograph on the page? I'm ridiculously curious.

mcrandello
Mar 30, 2001

Pvt. Benedetto posted:

Does anyone know what that gaping while hole/tube is in the last photograph on the page? I'm ridiculously curious.

That white hole in the ground under the yellowish floor panel by the bikes? I think that's the bathtub.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

I got bored tonight and decided rebuild my ipod stereo. I had taken it apart hoping I would be able to retrofit it into a old am tube radio I have sitting around, but it turned out that was not feasible.

I used some of my scrap oak and went to work with some simple lamination and this is what happened by the end of the night.
The Ghetto Oak Ipod box was born.

Excuse the glue lines and pin nail holes. I don't have a planer here and just built it with out any plans.
Whoops.

More longboard pics to come in the next week or so.

Ampersand-e
Feb 25, 2007

Cinders and ashes bitch!
Yes Im fucking cross!
Use some burlap as a grill over the speakers.

McBeth
Jul 11, 2006
Odeipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
A kind of project. I got the goddamn ugliest dreamcatcher for Christmas. As seen here. My brother picked it out and told me he knew I was into art. There was no tag with company name to return to a van by the side of the road or perhaps make an exchange.

I turned it into my shrine to geeky. I stole the design off the internets and made little Tardises out of small dominoes. Now I am not so ashamed.

The good thing about it before the makeover was dragging it around to my friends to see their reactions of either disgust or barely disguised disgust.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Beetle DeLorean?

It's either awesome, or blasphemy I can't decide.

McBeth
Jul 11, 2006
Odeipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.

spankmeister posted:

Beetle DeLorean?

It's either awesome, or blasphemy I can't decide.

It's a Delorean crashing into the Tardis. I think I smooshed it but I was probably thinking I would run out of room. I saw Chris Hardwick (Nerdist) wearing it on the Craig Ferg show. Ok I am going to redo the Tardis, you can't go from howling wolf to just anything.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
It's a T-shirt design from shirt.woot.com. You could buy the actual shirt, cut it out, and put it over the dream catcher. (If the shirt design is not too big.)

The wolves were way more awesome, but you already ruined them.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
So I am also posting this in the metalwork thread, but I figure that it incorporates a few elements that could be appreciated here, so I will post it here as well.

I made this a few weeks ago for one of my clients who is into nautical antiques and the like. I got the basic concept from google and pretty much made it my own from there. It is a whaling harpoon that is about 6' tall. The handle is made from pine that I attacked with a hatchet to shape it and make it look used. I also browned it a bit with an air-acetylene torch to give it some color. The rope handle is some kind of hemp substitute but still a natural fiber and the wrappings are jute twine. All in all I think it turned out well, and my client was VERY pleased. Now I have to forge 2 hooks for him to hang it above his fireplace. :cheers:

Click here for the full 1151x1533 image.

Click here for the full 1152x1534 image.

Click here for the full 1152x1535 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
An update on one of my projects, the vintage cinema projector. About 2 weeks ago I got an urge to finish this, or at least have it operational. So I pulled it out of storage and got to work. The first thing I did was clean all the mouse poo poo out of it, storage conditions were less than favourable. Then I wired the red LED and cleaned and adjusted the slit lens. Then I glued the solar cell in position. In two days I have done more with this machine than in the 4 years i've owned it. So now the sound is basically done, I just have to clean up that wiring. Next thing is to mount a halogen lamp, or similar bright white light source in the lamphouse. That big box thing on the ground.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaQT1234m28