Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Throatwarbler posted:

Does it have 2.73 gears?

The 2.73 ratio is standard, 3.31 is optional. Since it was a canceled order it may have the 3.31 gears, but I doubt it; if it was just a normal dealer car I'd seriously doubt it. I bet 3.31 equipped v6 Mustangs are pretty rare, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

frozenphil posted:

The 2.73 ratio is standard, 3.31 is optional. Since it was a canceled order it may have the 3.31 gears, but I doubt it; if it was just a normal dealer car I'd seriously doubt it. I bet 3.31 equipped v6 Mustangs are pretty rare, actually.

3.31 is standard equipment for the Canadian market, like I posted earlier in the thread, although now that I check ford.ca, they only list it as standard for the manual, so its possible that the automatic might be different. Strange that they don't say either way.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Throatwarbler posted:

3.31 is standard equipment for the Canadian market, like I posted earlier in the thread, although now that I check ford.ca, they only list it as standard for the manual, so its possible that the automatic might be different. Strange that they don't say either way.

It revs ~2100 @ 120km/h IIRC, does that help?

e: Yeah, seems it's the 3.31

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 12, 2011

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

sliderule posted:

e: Yeah, seems it's the 3.31

Is it? :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

the 2.73 is standard on the value leader, the 3.31 is standard with the pony package.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Powershift posted:

the 2.73 is standard on the value leader, the 3.31 is standard with the pony package.

I don't keep up with the girl engine so much. :smug:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Powershift posted:

I think 3.31 is standard on all all V6 except the value leader, you don't need the pony package. I guess the value leader was something they brought out later - I don't remember it being there when the Mustang launched. Ford's PDF must have been made before the VL came out, so it shows 3.31 as standard across the board.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

2.73 is a stupid gear ratio for a sports car with 300+hp. Even in an automatic.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The only reason 2.73 exists is so Ford can market a 31mpg Mustang. Which I think is probably not stupid at all.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
I just pulled the trigger on the 06.

This is what it looks like:

Let me tell you about how I paid cash for it.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

Powershift posted:

Yep, my 07 pony package has 3.31 (verified by the label on the diff).

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Things were much smoother today, despite (or perhaps as a result of) the southern Ontario snow "storm". I had to start at 1 a.m., which gave me an opportunity to learn the car's limits and behaviours on empty streets. Hill assist mode was a big plus for keeping things moving smoothly. It has a nasty rumble when it decides to sit near 1000RPM, and while it's not entirely unpleasant, it can be grating. Hill assist all but eliminated under-revving.

I liked the traction available despite an empty trunk, and the tuning of AdvanceTrac ESC, which provided a useful amount of yaw before setting me rolling straight without much counter or excessive oversteer. I couldn't stand the ABS in my last car, but it felt essential to the Mustang, and it performs well. It was unobtrusive and reliable. The car is surprisingly nimble and well-balanced overall.

It felt very safe in the snow, was predictable and didn't squirm or require near-constant correction like the SX4. Despite terrible conditions, including one slightly fast glancing entry into a low snowplow wake (much like the one that spun the Suzuki), it was a point and shoot affair, the line rarely deviating from my aim. Much less involving than piloting with the front-biased part-time AWD (without TC/ESC), and much more comfortable and composed.

It's an excellent winter vehicle. I wouldn't do it if I didn't have underground parking and a power washer, because I would hate to see this car decay. They didn't seem to lay as much salt this time around, but maybe they're just using the liquid stuff.

Boiler
Dec 23, 2004
Shut up phone
Another picture of my '07 GT

8/365 - "Em" by Craig F, on Flickr

I love giving it a bath and taking a photo somewhere. Makes me smile every time.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

A.o.D. posted:

I just pulled the trigger on the 06.

This is what it looks like:

Let me tell you about how I paid cash for it.

Feels good, doesn't it? I paid cash for the GT500, so I know the feeling.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
When you guys say paid cash, do you mean small bills? Or a bank check?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
A briefcase full of paper, I hope.

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God
A duffel bag full of small, unmarked, non-sequential bills

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Well, I offered $100 bills, but the banks around here don't actually carry that kind of cash, so I had to use a cashier's check. I actually bought the wife's '10 Routan in cash that same day. THe bank teller looked at me funny when I asked for $90k in cashier's checks...

Edit: It's also weird thad A.o.D.'s '06 GT doesn't have a spoiler. I don't think I've ever seen one around here without one. A V6 sure, but not a GT.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Spoiler delete was a no cost option on the GT, so I'm sure it's fairly unusual. For what it's worth, I've seen several, but never in bright red.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Spoiler delete is an option on most mustangs. Most people don't go for it, but were I to order a new mustang, I would insist upon that. In fact, this car is very near my ideal purchase. The only things wrong with it are that it isn't a '12 Boss, and it's red. Other than that it has no graphics, no cosmetic body kits, is a hardtop, v8, manual transmission, and leather interior.

And when I say cash, I mean paid in full with a stainless steel lined briefcase during a tense standoff in an abandoned warehouse in the wrong side of town.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

I like the spoiler on the pre-2010 models, but the 2010+ spoiler just looks weird. The little ducktail the 2010+ come with without the spoiler looks much better in my opinion.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

frozenphil posted:

I like the spoiler on the pre-2010 models, but the 2010+ spoiler just looks weird. The little ducktail the 2010+ come with without the spoiler looks much better in my opinion.

I wish they had a spoiler more like the 03/04 Cobra spoiler. I don't know why, but that style spoiler just looks awesome to me.

I've never liked Mustangs whatsoever, but I'm really thinking that when I rotate back to the states in 3yrs I'm going to end up with one.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

iwentdoodie posted:

I wish they had a spoiler more like the 03/04 Cobra spoiler. I don't know why, but that style spoiler just looks awesome to me.

You'll probably like the factory spoiler then.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Welp here I am again with another issue (really starting to think trading the Jeep for this thing was a bad idea) on the way home from work today she decided that 2nd gear wasnt her friend anymore. Constantly grinds and wants to pop out of gear unless i hold it in there good an hard until it engages which I have been trying not to do so I dont bend the shift fork and gently caress poo poo up more. Theres been no indication of an issue at all leading up to this it just happened all of a sudden. Called around and everyone basically said my second gear is shot and its not going to be a cheap fix.

Im really getting sick of this drat thing at this point. Anyone want to buy an 01 GT with apparently no second gear?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

KickStand posted:

Welp here I am again with another issue (really starting to think trading the Jeep for this thing was a bad idea) on the way home from work today she decided that 2nd gear wasnt her friend anymore. Constantly grinds and wants to pop out of gear unless i hold it in there good an hard until it engages which I have been trying not to do so I dont bend the shift fork and gently caress poo poo up more. Theres been no indication of an issue at all leading up to this it just happened all of a sudden. Called around and everyone basically said my second gear is shot and its not going to be a cheap fix.

Im really getting sick of this drat thing at this point. Anyone want to buy an 01 GT with apparently no second gear?

Dollars to doughnuts its a synchro issue. They tend to go bad in those transmissions.

:smug: Automatic supremacy! :smug:

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm still not completely sold on the automatic, TBH. I would expect it to excel in smoothness, but that wasn't the case for me today on dry roads.

The 1-2 shift wasn't smooth with the 6R60 while driving economically. Despite no change in throttle application, there is a power surge during the shift, and then it would return to low acceleration. Moderate acceleration / later shifts are buttery. I've seen similar complaints on lovely internet forums, and the discussion there centers around the adaptive nature of the transmission taking thousands of miles to give up the behaviour.

I see a spate of complaints about the parent ZF 6HP26 having similar 1-2/launching unsmoothness. I could understand the Standby Control causing issues from a standstill, but I don't know what could be making the 1-2 harsh. What's the consensus on this transmission? I would expect better refinement out of something thrown into 7 series and Jags. I'm not convinced the ride would be smoother than a manual transmission as it stands.

Zeroboy
Feb 21, 2001
That sucks, I had the 2nd and 3rd gear synchros replaced under dealership warranty shortly after I bought my 01 GT. When the car was cold it would grind 2nd really badly... I believe that the Tremec 3650 is whats in my car, how many miles are you at? I'm around 83k right now, it was fixed at about 78k, I've also had to replace the fuel neck because mine completely rusted through and started throwing check engine lights because of the massive evap leak that resulted. Otherwise I like it, just needs a supercharger.

Oh poo poo, 10 years of being a newbie. Its like a badge of honor.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

To what extent is the MT-82 transmission (gently caress your automatics!) compatible with the 4.6L engine? Would it be a straight swap, an extensive modification job, or somewhere in between?

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
76k on it right now. It has the t-3650 in it

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

KickStand posted:

76k on it right now. It has the t-3650 in it

I've got a t3650 with 127k on it. It runs fine, but I can feel... something, in 2nd gear. It's nothing definite, and I'm not really worried right now, but it's there, and it wasn't until I read up on that transmission just now that I even had an idea to be worried about it.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I hope you guys are taking care of these cars. When they get down to $5,000 used I will want to buy one.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

I hope you guys are taking care of these cars. When they get down to $5,000 used I will want to buy one.

Only a couple more years. :v:

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

To what extent is the MT-82 transmission (gently caress your automatics!) compatible with the 4.6L engine? Would it be a straight swap, an extensive modification job, or somewhere in between?

If your going to put another manual in an S197, use a tremec 6060, you can buy it as a bolt in kit.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

sw0cb posted:

If your going to put another manual in an S197, use a tremec 6060, you can buy it as a bolt in kit.

I've seen murmers of other guys on some less than awesome Mustang forums swapping the MT-82 for the 6060 because it seems as though the consensus is that the MT-82 won't ever be able to handle the horsepower that some guys are already starting to make even without blowers.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

sw0cb posted:

If??? I hope I never drive another autocraptic in my life.

One of the things I like about the Getrag is how smooth it shifts. It feels really nice, which is why I asked.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 15, 2011

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

If??? I hope I never drive another autocraptic in my life.

Change you user name, jerk! :mad:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Mustangs are for cruising and picking up mostly guys, but sometimes ugly girls. No need to add shifting interfering with the mullet maintenance.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

what a long strange thread its been

Elephanthead posted:

Mustangs are for cruising and picking up mostly guys, but sometimes ugly girls. No need to add shifting interfering with the mullet maintenance.

Wow, how could you?

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Elephanthead posted:

Seems like someone confused the Mustang with the Camaro again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moostang
Jan 2, 2011

I purchased this 93 on ebay several years back. She was in decent condition but needed some tlc.

Last year I installed a performance aftermarket suspension, 4 wheel disc upgrade which also upgraded it from 4 lug to 5 lug, and put on the 5 star chrome Saleen wheels since it already had the Saleen spoiler, both of which are better than the GT versions imo.

The kits were pretty easy to install and were mostly bolt-on with very few modifications required.