Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

SlightlyMadman posted:

I've been working on the same basic RPG idea for ages now, but I've got another incarnation of an apocalypse survival roguelike together:

Click here for the full 1280x688 image.

I decided to finally say "screw it" and go with ASCII because it seems like I usually give up on a project around the time I try to get the art looking just right. I still may end up getting some tiles together for it, but this at least looks good enough to me until I can finish up the game.

The idea is basically that you need to wander around scavenging supplies and staying alive. There are zombies of course, but they're not the most dangerous thing out there. It uses roguelike perma-death (and death comes very very easily), but the trick is that you can keep playing as a survivor you've rescued, so you have strong motivation to keep them alive.

Ideally, I'd like that sort of succession mechanic to mean that you can keep a game going through many generations of survivors, watching humanity slowly dwindle away in its last days.

Are you using libTCOD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Staggy posted:

That's a really cool idea. I'm not sure how generous you're going to be with finding more survivors, but I can totally see the atmosphere getting more and more tense as the number of people left slowly dwindles. Eventually it's just the two of you, and when something goes wrong at the worst possible moment you're left wandering, totally alone.

It also opens the door to cinematic "Go on without me!"/"I'll hold them off!" moments.

Yeah, that's exactly the mood I'm going for. Also the possibility of having to make tough calls like deciding if it makes more sense to kill and eat your last surviving companion, or commit suicide so they can eat you.

Hubis posted:

Are you using libTCOD?

Of course.

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

holy hell

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Tumblr reblog graph. An arrow from A to B means that B reblogged the post from A, OP at the top. Written in Haskell, using HXT to scrape Tumblr and Data.GraphViz to make the actual graphs.

Since Tumblr doesn't display all the reblogs at once, but instead requires the browser to send an XmlHttpRequest every 50 notes or so, I'm going to have to get the URL out of the javascript, send a request, then recurse if I want more than the last 50. I'm also going to write a web interface, again using Haskell. Why? Just for the hell of it.

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!
I've been slowly (still) working on my XBox game, which means writing a bunch of standalone demos to work out various game components. I've recently gone back to my tree growing demo and added the ability to harvest branches as a resource. I think it turned out pretty awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1h-DFGHPes

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I made a particle engine :neckbeard:

(It's terribly inefficient, sucks in every possible way etc., but I haven't programmed in a while and I just wanted to see if I could make one!)
It's really fun to play with! Also, it has a pretty friendly GUI so I even got my friends to test it for me. Next step: images instead of points!

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 14, 2011

NateTheGreat
Jul 6, 2010
I'm working on an extension for Chrome that highlights trending twitter topics on any webpage and allows you to view recent tweets about them in real time by hovering over them. Tweets will appear in a small window next to your mouse, but that part isn't finished yet. Here's what I have so far:

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

NateTheGreat posted:

I'm working on an extension for Chrome that highlights trending twitter topics on any webpage and allows you to view recent tweets about them in real time by hovering over them. Tweets will appear in a small window next to your mouse, but that part isn't finished yet. Here's what I have so far:

That's a really good idea, and sounds pretty well executed. Let us know when you're finished!

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

NateTheGreat posted:

view recent tweets about them in real time by hovering over them

From a usability standpoint, I'd suggest thinking about some kind of positive action instead of simply using onHover. Think about those lovely ads that garbagey sites uses where you get a giant popup when you're unfortunate enough to accidentally pass the cursor over a word that someone has paid for.

In your own screenshot, look how the stacked Queensland Brisbane Brisbane forms a wall that cuts diagonally through 75% of the text column. I bet that after the novelty wears off, even you will be performing pointer gymnastics to avoid triggering popups -- that's a lot of mental overhead.

NateTheGreat
Jul 6, 2010

mdxi posted:

From a usability standpoint, I'd suggest thinking about some kind of positive action instead of simply using onHover. Think about those lovely ads that garbagey sites uses where you get a giant popup when you're unfortunate enough to accidentally pass the cursor over a word that someone has paid for.

In your own screenshot, look how the stacked Queensland Brisbane Brisbane forms a wall that cuts diagonally through 75% of the text column. I bet that after the novelty wears off, even you will be performing pointer gymnastics to avoid triggering popups -- that's a lot of mental overhead.

Yes, this is true. I have started to realize how annoying it may be so I'm thinking of putting in a hotkey to activate it or something similar.

Jonnty posted:

That's a really good idea, and sounds pretty well executed. Let us know when you're finished!

Thanks! I definitely will, here's what it looks like so far:

Edit:

Release! https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/nkngckjdkcbickcfoeeclpncbhfpjehp?hl=en

NateTheGreat fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 17, 2011

DoctorScurvy
Nov 11, 2005
More of a passing curiosity, really
A game that rewards users for performing real-life physical and mental exercises, to help the battle against obesity and excessive sitting health issues. Currently online, about 980 users. From conception to current: about 7 days.

http://www.motivationrpg.com

It's programmed in PHP and mySQL (+javascript, css, html etc). A lot of people are using it to randomize their workouts, so I'm seeing about making a thread to discuss its direction and development in Watch and Woot.

Nerf Herder
Sep 2, 2006

Scruffy-Looking
Been working on this with a guy I work with.

"ClickHop is a Google Chrome Extension that allows people to browse the web together. You can create a channel and everyone that visits that channel will share the mouse. You can also choose to be the leader of your channel and take everyone else along for the ride as you click, scroll, and move from page to page. It will work for 2 people browsing together or a few thousand people browsing together."

as of right now it requires a chrome extension.

http://clickhop.me/

Install the plugin and join the "awful" channel to try it out or create your own channel.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Click here for the full 1481x1002 image.

Fooling around with a kinect at the lab. Finally got point clouds to work right, apparently OpenNI conveniently gives you depth values in millimeters as opposed to the inverse depth that OpenKinect returns, which had me scratching my head for a couple of days.

Next up, gestures!

Surface
May 5, 2007
<3 boomstick

Nerf Herder posted:

"ClickHop is a Google Chrome Extension that allows people to browse the web together. You can create a channel and everyone that visits that channel will share the mouse. You can also choose to be the leader of your channel and take everyone else along for the ride as you click, scroll, and move from page to page. It will work for 2 people browsing together or a few thousand people browsing together."

Install the plugin and join the "awful" channel to try it out or create your own channel.

Hey this is cool. I have thought about making something similar- I am surprised at the lack of intuitive co-web-browsing tools currently out there.

Anyone using the awful channel?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

DoctorScurvy posted:

A game that rewards users for performing real-life physical and mental exercises, to help the battle against obesity and excessive sitting health issues. Currently online, about 980 users. From conception to current: about 7 days.

http://www.motivationrpg.com

It's programmed in PHP and mySQL (+javascript, css, html etc). A lot of people are using it to randomize their workouts, so I'm seeing about making a thread to discuss its direction and development in Watch and Woot.

You should hook up with that Swole guy for co-op advertising or something.

Also, you gotta show us the sweet sweet level 60+ content.

NateTheGreat
Jul 6, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

You should hook up with that Swole guy for co-op advertising or something.

Also, you gotta show us the sweet sweet level 60+ content.

LFM spotters Gold's Gym 10 man raid pst

NateTheGreat
Jul 6, 2010
I updated my Chrome extension with a new feature, see tweets for anything!

You can download it from here

firehawk
May 23, 2005

Oookkeeee!
This is Komposter, a small modular "virtual analog" synth and sequencer I've been working on. It's mainly geared towards generating music from really tiny executables like 4K and 64K demoscene intros but can just as well be used for generating analog-like sounds. The previous version was downright user-hostile, so I made this to enable actual musicians to compose tunes for our intros.

(images hosted on my own server)

For comparison, the old one looked like this (greets to C64-guys :))

Anyway, if you want to hear an example song, here is a small tune I made for a 4K intro. The song and the code that plays it compress into about 1500 bytes total.

It currently runs only on MacOS (10.5+, Intel CPU) and can be downloaded here. Despite the beta status, it's relatively stable although lacks some planned features like MIDI-support. The package also includes full x86 assembly source code for the player.

I have a Debian/Ubuntu Linux build as well but it has some OpenGL problems (at least on Intel GMA) so the GUI looks like crap. If you feel adventurous and want to give it a try, drop me a message and I'll send you the Linux binaries.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
firehawk: That's really slick! I'm definitely going to have to play around with this.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Awesome - sounds great given the obvious compromises one has to make with such extreme size requirements! I'm loving all the cool audio tech stuff being created these days and, well, demo-scene work will always have a welcome place in my heart and headphones. :tipshat:

I'd love to have a play but I should really be avoiding distractions and making progress on my own sound apps. *heads into the studio not to reappear until dawn*

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm learning OpenGL for a class, and our first assignment is the wonderfully vague "draw something cool with OpenGL". I decided to make a fairly simple viewer for Shuttle Radar Topography Mission data (right now, it only handles 3-arcsecond resolution data, but I might improve it in the future). I guess it's not much to look at, but I'm fairly proud of it anyway.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
I've been working on an open-source, free cloud password editor similar to LastPass. My editor encrypts (AES-256 + salt + some security mode that definitely isn't ECB) / hashes (SHA-256 * 1000 + salt) your passwords / master password in JavaScript so it (and your passwords) are never transmitted unencrypted and the server can never decrypt your data. I still use SSL in case you are scared about someone other than people who hack my server / me from finding your hashed password. The web interface all works now but is a bit clunky. Next I'm going to work on some refinements (groups, password generator) before moving on to making an Android app for it. Here are some screenshots:

Login. Typing in a new username gets you a new account.

Main screen. You can add/edit/delete individual passwords here.

Options menu, allowing export/import/deletion of your account (immediately irrevocable).

Exported CSV (don't really know how to get JavaScript to generate a file that you can choose where to save: restrictions are pretty tight).

Technologies used:
Google AppEngine
jQuery
jQuery UI
Stanford JavaScript Crypto Library

Let me know what you think! I was tired of moving around my master password file (encrypted with GPG) and didn't find LastPass until I had already started building this... might as well make it free, since I'm not paying hosting :) (thanks Google!).

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I've always been interested in procedurally generated images, and after seeing this thread I started doodling with it.

Click here for the full 512x512 image.

I have been using code like this to texture some heightmaps, but even after adapting it to work with a generic number of layers, it still kinda sucks (ie it's not easy to split the height map into unequal sized layers, etc).

Anyone have some good example code for doing this kinda stuff? My google-fu is very weak :(

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

firehawk posted:

This is Komposter, a small modular "virtual analog" synth and sequencer I've been working on. It's mainly geared towards generating music from really tiny executables like 4K and 64K demoscene intros but can just as well be used for generating analog-like sounds. The previous version was downright user-hostile, so I made this to enable actual musicians to compose tunes for our intros.

drat!

that's awesome

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

firehawk posted:

The package also includes full x86 assembly source code for the player.

I have a Debian/Ubuntu Linux build as well but it has some OpenGL problems (at least on Intel GMA) so the GUI looks like crap. If you feel adventurous and want to give it a try, drop me a message and I'll send you the Linux binaries.

Very cool, I like the old-school GUI. Did you use an existing library for it, or write your own widget lib, or just hardcode everything?

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

I'm nearing completion on this project, just a little debugging and it should be finished in a couple months.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Kamelona posted:

I'm nearing completion on this project, just a little debugging and it should be finished in a couple months.

In the same vein, I made this game:

:effort:

Though, to be fair, the main point was to see if there's been any changes to the basic API between direct3d 10 and 11.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Kamelona posted:

If you need help, I know how to implement 'd'

TheSpook
Aug 21, 2007
Spooky!

ClosedBSD posted:

If you need help, I know how to implement 'd'

How did you manage to rotate 'p' . . .?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

TheSpook posted:

How did you manage to rotate 'p' . . .?

His implementation just flipped 'b' around

TheSpook
Aug 21, 2007
Spooky!

Biowarfare posted:

His implementation just flipped 'b' around

Linear algebra is tough.

firehawk
May 23, 2005

Oookkeeee!

Bob Morales posted:

Very cool, I like the old-school GUI. Did you use an existing library for it, or write your own widget lib, or just hardcode everything?
Thanks! I looked at some existing widget libraries but none seemed really suitable for the first page with the draggable modules so I did my own. It's not really a library, though - just some functions for drawing the widgets and nothing else. The mouse clicks are picked up manually by each of the four pages using hardcoded coordinates in some quite ugly callback functions.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

DoctorScurvy posted:

This is really cool :kiddo:

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

I was in a team of 4 for the latest Global Game Jam over the weekend. We made a nifty little game about fighting to save yourself from extinction.

You can download it here if you want to play:
http://www.globalgamejam.org/2011/press-3-breed

quote:

You are the last plant left after the apocalypse and are being besieged by an army of mechanical insects. The fern in the middle of the screen represents your current energy. The more plants you have breeded the faster your energy regenerates, and the larger your fern the more energy you have. Use the cursor to illuminate the defense mound so you can see attacking enemies.

Press 1 while mousing over a target to shoot an aoe spore cloud
Press 2 while mousing over a target to shoot a thorn
Press 3 to breed a new plant!!

Plants will glow red when on low health. The game is over when all your plants die. Each glowing orb on the fern represents 10 energy that you have stored.

We wanted a minimal interface, so it's all expressed via in game elements (apart from the score).

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

Strumpy posted:

I was in a team of 4 for the latest Global Game Jam over the weekend. We made a nifty little game about fighting to save yourself from extinction.

You can download it here if you want to play:
http://www.globalgamejam.org/2011/press-3-breed

We wanted a minimal interface, so it's all expressed via in game elements (apart from the score).

Watched the video, that looks pretty sweet!

dustgun
Jun 20, 2004

And then the doorbell would ring and the next santa would come

iOS xbmc remote that I started as a weekend project. Not sure if I want to follow through and finish it yet.

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

I pretty much finished the level/scripting editor for Monsterland...

Click here for the full 964x732 image.

monsterland fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 8, 2011

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

monsterland posted:

I pretty much finished the level/scripting editor for Monsterland...

Click here for the full 964x732 image.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm a tad bit disappointed that your editor wasn't done entirely in the same style as the game :D

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

Initially, it was. You could see the realtime lighting running and shimmering portals. But it was written for DOS, and in Windows it was easier to write one from scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe

Nerf Herder posted:

Wow that's really cool! However, it started twitching and flickering like crazy on our company's site (seems to be constantly refreshing). Keep at it though, this is perfect for doing web demos.