Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Looking forward heaps to that. Let's Go was a stellar track. Hopefully He doesn't gently caress it up with his own stuff cause his mashup is uniquely smooth and oh so polished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
definitely pumped for it. i think MM is better than e603, SMB, and luda but not as good as GT.

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

Just came to post that Night Ripper is pretty terrible. All Day and Feed the Animals are 1000x better than Night Ripper. I'm a huge Girl Talk fan, and Night Ripper was the first physical CD i've purchased in years after hearing some of All Day and that being the only Girl Talk cd they had at the HMV i entered on a whim. I regret that purchase, but Girl Talk is awesome and those other two cd's are great stuff.

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer
I came back to see if peoples opinions of All Day had changed, the initial reviews I think were pretty harsh overall. I think after quite a few listens I really love it and I probably give it more listens these days than Feed the Animals. He really does have it together than anyone else. I find when I try to venture out into other artists stuff I'm just ultimately disappointed with the production values and usually give up.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

pigz posted:

I came back to see if peoples opinions of All Day had changed, the initial reviews I think were pretty harsh overall. I think after quite a few listens I really love it and I probably give it more listens these days than Feed the Animals. He really does have it together than anyone else. I find when I try to venture out into other artists stuff I'm just ultimately disappointed with the production values and usually give up.

...huh? Most of the reviews I read when it came out were fawning declarations of his continued success, save a Tiny Mix Tapes here and or a PopMatters there that I agreed with. To date Metacritic has it at a seventy-goddamn-six, with a long string of 80-somethings. Harsh? Really?

Also I don't get the rest of your statement and how it connects to production values, or why you'd expect equal production values from initial debut albums to late-in-career ones after they've been established as artists, or how people seem hellbent on equating professional production with quality of music, but that's my problem.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I really don't like the 1st track of All Day but from the 2nd track through about 2/3rds of the way through is good. It certainly has some excellent moments but a lot of it is pretty forgettable too.

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

gohuskies posted:

I really don't like the 1st track of All Day but from the 2nd track through about 2/3rds of the way through is good. It certainly has some excellent moments but a lot of it is pretty forgettable too.

I accidentally downloaded All Day onto iTunes without the first track.

I preferred it that way.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
The reviews in general weren't so harsh but this thread kind of was. But I'd like to think it's because most of this thread has heard more of this type of music than the average reviewer who probably hasn't heard half of these random "guy on the internet" sort of artists.

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich
I'm amazed I hadn't thought to check out MilkMan until just now. This is amazing. I can't wait for his latest release to drop. "Let's Go" is awesome.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Circle of Fifths is without a question worth the money.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
His new one is probably going to be great but with a backhanded slap in the face that afterward he's going to stop doing mashup and make that uninteresting dance music instead :(

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.

Gaspar Lewis posted:

Reading all the positive All Day reviews and clueless press-kit John Oswald/Plunderphonics name-drops has me in a lovely mood so if you haven't already you need to listen to Raiding the 20th Century before I break your face. Which I assume is most of you. It might be six years dated but it's still the best audio history of reappropriation I think anyone could ask for. Between this and the strides made since (yes this in some small way includes Night Ripper), anyone who legitimately thinks anything Greg Gillis does anymore is "transformative" needs to jam this through their earhole and then either wise up or maybe die or something else unpleasant.

Tracklist/credits and a link-through to my link are here.

Now this thread can vanish into nothingness again.

This is absolutely brilliant. MY. GOD.

This is so well-done that I suddenly feel very different about GirlTalk, Ludachrist, E603, etc - they seem very under-developed. This is perfectly executed. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Don Danger
Dec 31, 2004

jeff8472 posted:

Not nearly as ADD as Girl Talk, but Kleptones "Night at the Hip Hopera" and "24 Hours" are awesome. The first is all using Queen music, with lots of different songs mixed in. The second is more eclectic. Also try to find some of Party Ben's Sixx Mixx's. They are half hour mixes with tons of different mashups from other artists.

Kleptones rock so so SO much.
I find the albums a lot more enjoyable and danceable than Girl Talk, I love them both, but I can't get enough of the Kleptones.

Also, their albums used to be free at the website, I think they're still there for free.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Gaspar Lewis posted:

Reading all the positive All Day reviews and clueless press-kit John Oswald/Plunderphonics name-drops has me in a lovely mood so if you haven't already you need to listen to Raiding the 20th Century before I break your face. Which I assume is most of you. It might be six years dated but it's still the best audio history of reappropriation I think anyone could ask for. Between this and the strides made since (yes this in some small way includes Night Ripper), anyone who legitimately thinks anything Greg Gillis does anymore is "transformative" needs to jam this through their earhole and then either wise up or maybe die or something else unpleasant.

Tracklist/credits and a link-through to my link are here.

Now this thread can vanish into nothingness again.

The mash-ups in this are great but what is with all this talking? Like 1/2 of this record seems like it is homeboy talking about the history of electronic music, mash-ups, and music piracy. Sorry mash-up dude but I am trying to listen to music, not a lecture. I get that it is supposed to be a "words and music" thing but I would much prefer a "just music" version.

Edit: Annnnd upon closer inspection it seems a "just music" version exists, right next down the list. Thank you DJ Food! This is good.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 19, 2011

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
:psyduck:

Listen to the full version, man. The point of it all is to be a history of sampling.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
New interview with Super Mash Bros. They always seem like such chill dudes.
http://wegotthiscovered.com/2011/01/19/interview-with-super-mash-bros/

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Lakitu7 posted:

New interview with Super Mash Bros. They always seem like such chill dudes.
http://wegotthiscovered.com/2011/01/19/interview-with-super-mash-bros/

Interview is rad, also introduced me to the white panda

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Yeah I'm liking his/their stuff too, though it's not the girltalk style.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Trap Star posted:

Just came to post that Night Ripper is pretty terrible. All Day and Feed the Animals are 1000x better than Night Ripper. I'm a huge Girl Talk fan, and Night Ripper was the first physical CD i've purchased in years after hearing some of All Day and that being the only Girl Talk cd they had at the HMV i entered on a whim. I regret that purchase, but Girl Talk is awesome and those other two cd's are great stuff.

Imagine my surprise when I came in to post the exact opposite of this and found your post. I've spent the morning listening to all three of those albums in reverse order, and while I definitely like All Day, I think Feed the Animals is still far and above a better album, and listening to Night Ripper I was surprised because I had forgotten how amazing it really is.

On a side note, I'm halfway through Talk is Cheap by Ludachrist and it's also amazing, so thank you to everyone in the thread that recommended it!

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
After listening to more of The White Panda, they do belong in this thread. If you enjoy the other music posted here, you will probably like it. I've been really enjoying these all day.

First album:
http://www.thewhitepanda.com/the-white-panda-mixtape-versus/
http://www.whitepandadownloads.com/Versus%20(The%20White%20Panda%20Mixtape).zip

Second album:
http://thewhitepanda.bandcamp.com/
You can enter $0.00 if you want to.

Other tracks:
http://www.thewhitepanda.com/download-center/

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, the interview was great because it introduced me to The White Panda. They have quite a bit of great tracks :)

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
fyi, Milkman's cd new will be out tomorrow 9am PST

SassyCommander
Apr 23, 2009

Geno posted:

fyi, Milkman's cd new will be out tomorrow 9am PST

I feel like the count down timer has been resetting back to 00.01.00.00 at 00.00.00.00 then counting down to zero again for about 6 or so hours now...

e; iv'e been holding my dick in anticipation.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
restart back to an hour after it went to 00:00:00 :/

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Geno posted:

restart back to an hour after it went to 00:00:00 :/

Looks like it is out now.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
just listened through it once.

i like it so far. noticed lots of samples that were used in GT's All Day but i'm not too surprised with samples being used over and over. it's a lot more upbeat especially compared to All Day.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Nice; I'm looking forward to this when I get home from work.
Also note that he's gone ahead and made Circle of Fifths free now too, so anyone who didn't want to pay for it can now listen to it too and have two new Milkman albums today.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Doesn't look like anyone has posted the link yet, so here it is. Lactose and THC was excellent so I am excitedly waiting for the download to finish.

Edit: It's very good

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 25, 2011

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

My name is Gato/I have metal joints/Beat me up/And earn fifteen silver points!
Let's Go won't unrar for me, says it's corrupted. Anyone else having the same problem?

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Holy hell Algorithms loving owns owns owns. Waaay better than Girl Talk.

SassyCommander
Apr 23, 2009
Only 2 tracks into Algorithms and i'm already thoroughly impressed in a groovy manner.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

This poo poo kicks arse, gently caress the haters.
Happy AustraliaAlgorithms Release Day!

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
In the 6h track, Another One, around 2:16, what's the sample that BoB sings over?

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

Geno posted:

In the 6h track, Another One, around 2:16, what's the sample that BoB sings over?

Another Day In Paradise, by Phil Collins, yo

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

icicle bob posted:

Another Day In Paradise, by Phil Collins, yo

That part was tight as hell.

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

I liked the part where a dude and his mates rapped about their dicks.

Also, it was about time we heard Throw Some Ds again. I needed it.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
Love the bit in Here We Go Again where he the Barry Manilow sample that Daft Punk used, but actually goes on to use the whole thing.

Really hope he doesn't give up mashups, having that lovely Breaking Free song come on at the end is a total downer.

SassyCommander
Apr 23, 2009

Rhgr posted:

Love the bit in Here We Go Again where he the Barry Manilow sample that Daft Punk used, but actually goes on to use the whole thing.

Really hope he doesn't give up mashups, having that lovely Breaking Free song come on at the end is a total downer.

Hampered even further by the even shittier remix. Does the final in the trilogy mean that he's done making mashups? I'm going to go ahead and assume yes, but i'm still hopeful that he will release more at some point, when he realises that he was a far more popular mashup artist than electro artist.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Abortion is yummy. posted:

Could you point me in the direction of these cutups? I know it's not exactly on topic, but that's really interesting to me, and Google did me no favors.

Reaching back a little over a month to answer this, but since you'll never find it with that spelling, he was referring to the text cut-ups of William S. Burroughs and Brion Gysin.

Also, to whomever linked that Mashed in Plastic mix, thanks. That was quite interesting.
What do people think of themed mash-up albums, like Bootwerk or Block-Rockin' Boots? (bastard pop tribs to Kraftwerk and Chemical Brothers, respectively) Are they a cop-out to replace originality, or does the narrower focus tend to cut down on the amount of lovely failed mixes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
anybody here heard of "Mashup-Germany" ? just heard of him through a comment on Reddit and he seems to release singles kinda like DJ Earworm.

http://www.mashup-germany.com/