Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Exercu posted:

I'm starting to get the feeling that the guy is basically doing it to make Ippo fight as seriously as possible without holding back whatsoever, so Ippo can finally see how loving stupid it is for him to still have the Japanese title, when he can beat the poo poo out of nearly everyone without a problem and move on.

Regarding his 'weakness', it probably is that Ippo is completely unable to avoid taking blows. Any match Ippo ever has fought involves Ippo taking just as many punches as he dishes out. Though, on the other hand, Ippo is basically unbreakable, and if Kojima really is a 'hard puncher', then Ippo should have this one in the bag, and everyone ought to know that. I'm thinking his real weakness is something like Miyata's special counter, the one where he basically just knocked Randy Boy Jr. out temporarily, because it avoids Ippo's two main strengths. First of all, as the one using it is an outboxer, he can attempt keeping away from Ippo, second of all, it completely bypasses Ippo's ridiculous durability. I just can't see how Kojima would attempt something like that.

Bringing up every person hes fought and everything, I think we might FINALLY move to the world stage after this.

But probably not :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Twobits posted:

I liked how mori seemed to make fun of himself and admit the problem of dragging on the story there

I preferred the way he made fun of Ippo's inability to gently caress Kumi

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I preferred the way he made fun of Ippo's inability to gently caress Kumi

Ya know, I'd prefer if instead of being self aware he would just fix the loving problems.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
Off topic, but I was watching an old Manny Pacquiao fight and I realized it was in Korakuen Hall. Then I was all :smith: because Japanese burning spirit did not triumph.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Chapter 922

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

frabba posted:

Off topic, but I was watching an old Manny Pacquiao fight and I realized it was in Korakuen Hall. Then I was all :smith: because Japanese burning spirit did not triumph.

No this was actually a good thing because Pac owns.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

In my mind the dude he was fighting was Aoki or something.

Kave
Dec 29, 2008

Fancy sweater vests for all!
So basically Kojima's trump card is that he knows Ippo's pattern and based on that will know what punch should come next to be able to hit him with a full body blow?

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Chapter 923

Frabba
May 30, 2008

yay, aoki's gonna poo poo himself!

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Morikawa, blueballing readers even when there's no fight.

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 24, 2011

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
It's going to be something dumb, just like the hercules beetle thing. But it's ok, because Takamura time is a good time.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ippo is gonna take that guy's super-prepared punch, no-sell it due to his training, and probably put him in the hospital. Lessons are learned about tenacity, Ippo gets introspective, nothing happens in the manga as usual.

Or Ippo literally ends up killing the dude in the ring because the guy fucks up his supposedly "life or death" punch that Morikawa can't stop hyping. That would be a pretty amazing/original plot twist, so yeah not happening.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Fabricated posted:

Ippo is gonna take that guy's super-prepared punch, no-sell it due to his training, and probably put him in the hospital. Lessons are learned about tenacity, Ippo gets introspective, nothing happens in the manga as usual.

Or Ippo literally ends up killing the dude in the ring because the guy fucks up his supposedly "life or death" punch that Morikawa can't stop hyping. That would be a pretty amazing/original plot twist, so yeah not happening.

Ippo beats the guy so badly his unborn child is spontaneously aborted :(

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Ippo beats the guy so badly his unborn child is spontaneously aborted :(

And then his wife enters a boxing career in order to get revenge, making her way into the featherweight division as a pioneer female boxer, punching the poo poo out of all the other male boxers. She eventually earns a title match with Ippo and the two have a serious bout. Unfortunately, Ippo doesn't care, and beats her down, physically crippling her for the rest of her life and mentally crippling her by showing her she doesn't have the ability to avenge her deceased child and beaten husband.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
But he still can't touch Kumi!

lolhate
Jun 1, 2009
I think Morikawa is trying to create substantial development for Ippo before he goes onto the World Stage. He's probably trying to stress the importance for Ippo to be crazy strong before he gets demolished by even stronger guys, and show how tough the world stage for boxing is, although he might be overdoing it a bit with Ippo's extreme training.

P.S. On that note, it's sad that this thread has so little activity, given how great the manga is, so I created an IRC channel, #hajimenoippo on irc.esper.net. It's kind of sparse right now, but if people start idling in there, I'm pretty sure conversation will pick up.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Man, haven't we already had enough of the 'world is tough' poo poo? I just want Ippo to start wrecking people.

lolhate
Jun 1, 2009

Hortism posted:

Man, haven't we already had enough of the 'world is tough' poo poo? I just want Ippo to start wrecking people.

Eh, who knows, he may do that in the very next chapter. Hopefully, this will be his last fight before moving on to the world. Ahahaha, yeah right.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
It seems like it might be implying that Ippo is overworking himself again. I guess you never know. At least there'll be more Takamura soon.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I like how they keep talking about veteran boxers being so amazing when Ippo's current career is longer or equal to some of the greatest boxers in history.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
New chapter http://mangastream.com/read/hajime_no_ippo/92505845/1

Welp, there goes any chance of Ippo finishing this completely one sided. Stupid Chekov's gun.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

tazman posted:

New chapter http://mangastream.com/read/hajime_no_ippo/92505845/1

Welp, there goes any chance of Ippo finishing this completely one sided. Stupid Chekov's gun.
~Takamura~ ~my~ ~hero~

prrrrrrrrrrt

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
If I was the featherweight champion of Japan, I probably wouldnt keep my belt in a box in my room in a closet, hidden away from everyone.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

I have a bad feeling about this. Please don't be another Woli fight, where Ippo barely holds, this time because of what Takamura says, and pulls off some bullshit victory.

Fight like a champion, man!

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
kumi on the cover: aaaahhhh what the gently caress happened to my hands they are tiny

why does the anatomy in this manga bother me so much. why?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ANIME AKBAR posted:

kumi on the cover: aaaahhhh what the gently caress happened to my hands they are tiny

why does the anatomy in this manga bother me so much. why?

That's not Kumi, that's the reporter, I think. (She's missing her glasses and those hands *do* suck)

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Chapter 925

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
While the whole "I'm gonna fight like the challenger :D" thing was incredibly disappointing, teasing us with seeing Ippo snapping in a fight has piqued my interest

tazman fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 14, 2011

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I tried to get into this manga during the Woli arc.

Now I'm trying with this arc.

My main stumbling block so far is the fact that nothing ever loving happens. Maybe I just need to get used to the pacing of this better.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Nilbop posted:

My main stumbling block so far is the fact that nothing ever loving happens. Maybe I just need to get used to the pacing of this better.

This manga is one of those manga's where it's best to read it in large chunks. If you haven't read the earlier parts read through them first. then you will eventually get back up to speed.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Nilbop posted:

Why are you trying to get into it during it's awful awful decline.

Go start from the beginning.

Seriously, there's no reason to jump into this series now unless you already like it.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

So when was the other time Ippo got angry?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mr. Deathy posted:

So when was the other time Ippo got angry?
I think Gedo and whoever the counter-dude that crashed his motorcycle like a retard both infuriated Ippo at some point, because they didn't respect the sport.

Edit: duh, I didn't read the new chapter. Of course they mentioned those. I think Ippo was upset before the fight with Hammer Nao? poo poo I don't remember. Probably one of his 2 billion filler fights. Seeing "IPPO SMASH" mode would be interesting if done right; I mean he loving punches peoples' souls out when he's half-dead at the end of all his fights.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 15, 2011

Qmc
Feb 15, 2011
The cancelled spar against Randy Boy Jr.

Big L
Oct 30, 2005

Fedora Emelianenko
Could this chapter be foreshadowing that Ippo will snap and actually kill his opponent with his fury-fueled punches?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Big L posted:

Could this chapter be foreshadowing that Ippo will snap and actually kill his opponent with his fury-fueled punches?
No. He'll barely win like always.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Gah this is so frustrating its sooo slow

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
My god we're all such battered wives. We complain about this poo poo every week but we'll keep coming back for more because we LOVE HIM SO MUCH and he DIDN'T ALWAYS USE TO BE THIS WAY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
It's kind of funny advice to get from Takamura, considering he's only had a few fights that lasted longer than a round and likely only respects Eagle out of everyone he's fought.