Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

alucinor posted:

Seriously, do not get a rabbit. If I had known then what I know now, I would not have gotten them either. If you want a pet that wants to be petted and cuddled, a cat is your best bet. If you think you can't get a cat because you can't get an animal which mostly lives outside of a cage, you can't get a rabbit either, and your best bet in that case would be a pair of rats.

I respect alucinor a lot but I'm going to have to disagree here. All of the rabbit's I've worked with, with the exception of abused ones, have been very snuggly when handled properly. My two love attention, in fact if I don't give them enough they come to the base of the stairs begging to be taken up to my bed and snuggled at night. The one area where I feel the rumors are true is destruction capabilities. I've lost so many renters deposits thanks to my two and only at 5 and 6 years old have they calmed down to the point I can trust them with wood furniture or carpet.

Ender was always a love but Portia did well with forced socialization. In my personal opinion, rabbits need forced socialization before they really open up. Mine were taught never to struggle when held or bite, and they're both really good about it. It's possible I got freaks of nature, but I did get mine when they were 8 months and about a year old respectively and I work as a behavioral analyst with children so I do know my ABC's so to speak.

If anyone is interested I can take video of my interactions with my two to see how I handle them. I'm not an expert but I did volunteer for shelters for a long time and I've had great success with mine being really lovely pets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
Lola has been having a temper tantrum all week. I think it's because my cat got into her cage twice- both times I was at my desk and she was already in by the time I caught her.

Anyways, she's totally abandoned her litter box skills, she's been pooping and peeing all over the house. She's doing the same dribbly thing she did last time this happened, as well as big pees. She had gotten good enough to earn bedroom privileges, but she totally lost them by hopping up 3 times and trying to pee immediately. She's not peeing around her cage, but she is leaving poops all over it. Does anyone have any advice for how to deal with her until she calms back down?

I don't want to totally restrict her out time, but she has gone from 99% litterbox trained for pee and 80% for poops to like 40%. And I ran out of the Urine Destroyer stuff I've become so dependent on. :(

I'm planning on calling the vet tomorrow about her spay as we just got the money together.

Also, where is all this urine coming from? I think she's sneaking extra water and veggies when I'm not looking.

Glasgow
Nov 7, 2009

Must you betray me with a kiss?
Rabbits in general do not like to be picked up. They may be lovey and accept being petted, but you can't just snuggle them whenever like a cat. Guinea pigs hate that poo poo to their cores.

Rats like being held/petted/babied, eat less, need less space, don't shed, and only live 5 years. Rats are amazing lovey fucks and I seriously recommend a rat.

Anywho. There's a hoarder in the San Diego area with 35-50 rabbits on the property. Animal control is coming to seize them in two days. A few fosters and rescues have been able to take some, and we have the injured ones so they don't end up in a pound facing certain death, but there are a hell of a lot more left who need homes/foster.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

My sister's rabbit is grunting at everything and its rather confusing. When she was over here he would grunt through the fence at my bun. When he was caged here he would run around the cage grunting and shaking the cage. When he was free he would run circles around me grunting. Now he is doing binkies around my sister while grunting. I have no idea if this is normal or if its his only expression or what. Its weird having a noisy bunny around.

I think I asked this earlier but, is there a chance in the future we can trust the two rabbits to be let free to roam at the same time if they only meet sporadically? Mr. Bun has shown absolutely zero interest or reaction and my sister's just grunts.

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

your reviews aren't that good

CampingCarl posted:

circles around me grunting

Yeah, that is probably honking from the sound of things and it means he wants to make sweet bunny love to you. Is your sister's rabbit fixed?

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Love the thread, I've had a house bunny on and off for the last 15 years here in New Zealand. Here's a recent photo with my house bunny Momo having chased my cat up on a stack of bricks in the back yard.

He's always been the boss of the house ever since he arrived, but we love him even if he can be a little bossy.

squirt the daisies
Apr 26, 2009

Immortal Wombat? That game is for pantywaists!

Bunway Airlines posted:

If anyone is interested I can take video of my interactions with my two to see how I handle them. I'm not an expert but I did volunteer for shelters for a long time and I've had great success with mine being really lovely pets.

I'd love to see a video :)

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Bunway Airlines posted:

I respect alucinor a lot but I'm going to have to disagree here. All of the rabbit's I've worked with, with the exception of abused ones, have been very snuggly when handled properly.

And I respect your disagreement, and I will definitely admit that I come from a unique perspective which may not hold true for everyone in the multiverse. :):respek::3: But I make this broad generalization, because, in general, generalizations are true. Most rabbits make bad pets for most people. There are plenty of good rabbits, and plenty of good rabbit owners, but I still believe they are the exception rather than the rule.

The bolded statement in your comment is the root of the problem, I think. Excluding rescuers and shelter workers and PI, how many people really know how to handle their rabbits properly? Especially first time pet owners? Especially kids, or someone who specifically wants an animal JUST to pet and cuddle with?

Maybe it puts it more clearly in perspective to know that I'm not even speaking based on bad experiences with my hoard of unadoptable rabbits. Even though all my rabbits were rejected for being bitey, unfriendly, destructive, etc, none of those behaviors are evidenced anymore. If you just met them without knowing their history, you'd certainly say they are friendly and affectionate. But that has more to do with my skill as an owner rather than their personalities.

squirt the daisies posted:

I'd love to see a video :)

Here's a couple of very long, very boring videos of rabbits walking around and occasionally throwing themselves into the air. The times they try to come behind the camera are the times they are trying to get petted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGlJNE9JM7M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AskHJxsOytw

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I figured I should update. I'm sure you all remember Cinnabun, the bunny I found abandoned in her cage in the woods with a wound on her shoulder? She found a home. :) She was staying with my friend, a fellow shelter volunteer, while I visited home for Christmas. Unfortunately her dog DESPERATELY wanted to get the bunny and was having a meltdown, so much to her sadness she couldn't keep her. But she had been working with me to find Cinnabun a home and she did. So now the once abandoned and wounded bunny has a loving home. :3:

Edit: I also wanted to add to the above discussions. Cinnabon was a very sweet and lovey bunny that wanted attention and petting a lot. You cannot snuggle a cat whenever you please, sometimes they are NOT in the mood. Ask my cats. :colbert:

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 18, 2011

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

All pets are different; you get cuddly rabbits, cats, and dogs, and you have the opposite in about equal amounts. If you want a cuddly pet, go look for one rather than going by species!

That said, I personally would like a nice, sanitary, hygienic animal. So anything with a litterbox or that knows to come back inside after I let them poop in the yard would be nice. :shobon:

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I hadn't mentioned yet how the trip to the vet went, did I? Well after some expensive photos it was concluded that Billy has a chronic bowel condition, like scar tissue from a huge infection he had before. :( I'm gonna guess this was from the time that lovely vet almost killed him with the wrong antibiotics. So basically he's always going to have problems with constipation and gas and all that. And it's made his stool and pee a lot more sour, which also explains why he's not eating those cecals, they just smell nasty. For him as well as me.

What this means is that I'm always going to have to watch his pooping/eating habits and forcefeed him some drops whenever I might think he's getting uncomfortable. Sure it sucks for him to have this, but at least I'm not one of "those" rabbit owners who would keep him in a little outside hutch and only feed him carrots and stale bread or something retarded like that. I'm gonna make sure he's okay.

alucinor posted:

The bolded statement in your comment is the root of the problem, I think. Excluding rescuers and shelter workers and PI, how many people really know how to handle their rabbits properly? Especially first time pet owners? Especially kids, or someone who specifically wants an animal JUST to pet and cuddle with?

I've had a co-worker claim that I spoil my rabbit by giving him greens to eat. This from the same guy who threw his rabbit outside to fend on its own (and probably die in a day) after it took one bite out of his curtains.

You know, because they belong in the wild :downs:

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

DS at Night posted:

I hadn't mentioned yet how the trip to the vet went, did I? Well after some expensive photos it was concluded that Billy has a chronic bowel condition, like scar tissue from a huge infection he had before. :( I'm gonna guess this was from the time that lovely vet almost killed him with the wrong antibiotics. So basically he's always going to have problems with constipation and gas and all that. And it's made his stool and pee a lot more sour, which also explains why he's not eating those cecals, they just smell nasty. For him as well as me.

What this means is that I'm always going to have to watch his pooping/eating habits and forcefeed him some drops whenever I might think he's getting uncomfortable. Sure it sucks for him to have this, but at least I'm not one of "those" rabbit owners who would keep him in a little outside hutch and only feed him carrots and stale bread or something retarded like that. I'm gonna make sure he's okay.

Paterson has chronic tummy problems. I'm used to watching him.... especially checking the litter box after he's been sitting in it for a while. He likes to zone out while sitting in it but I get concerned that he's constipated. It takes a bit of adjusting to be on the constant look out but once you get the hang of it it's no big thang.

Are you allowed to give him papaya enzyme tablets? Those work wonders with Paterson who used to have GI Stasis scares every few weeks (if not more often) Good luck!!

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

DS at Night posted:

I've had a co-worker claim that I spoil my rabbit by giving him greens to eat.

My mom says I spoil my bunny because I buy a $30 box of timothy hay when "you can go to the farm and find a bale of hay for two bucks". Sure mom, I remember what the hay we made used to contain, and I doubt Debs will want to eat parts of squashed snakes or random prickly weeds. Even the horses wouldn't eat that. This is the same mom who will give Debbie extra pellets and tons of fruit and treats when I go on vacation. So, who's truly spoiling the rabbit?

Also, regarding the debate of proper handling, even the most well intentioned owner can end up with a rabbit who just doesn't respond as well to socializing and handling. Murphy was was most lovable rabbit I've ever had. He was pretty much his own rabbit though. He didn't want to be touched unless he initiated it, and even then everything was on his own terms. I had him from a very young age and spent hours with him daily etc etc, but he was like a grumpy old man who was just nosy about everything that went on around him while not getting involved in the activities himself. So, educated owner or not, a rabbit should never be on top of the list of animals to get to cuddle with.

Glasgow
Nov 7, 2009

On of my bunnies is very sweet and likes people. She doesn't want to be petted, but likes to be brushed. And while she *may* sit on you if she feels like it, if you try picking her up OH GOD WHY AREN'T MY FEET ON THE FLOOR WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON I'M BEING EATEN BY A BIRD.

Another problem with limited space being an issue; rabbits live muuuuch happier in groups. A lot of animals do. I would really suggest at least two.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!
Bowser was a super friendly, snuggly bunny who came running when you called her and never turned down a good petting session.

She was still a rabbit.

Meaning she left poop everywhere, hay dust in even more places, and a trail of destruction in her wake. She wasn't even particularly destructive, as far as bunnies go, but she sure enjoyed books, wall corners, and carpet!

Basically, it goes like this: I have 3 cats. One of them loves to snuggle all the time. One of them rarely likes to snuggle. The other likes to snuggle as long as she starts it. None of them have eaten my walls.

I've had 3 rabbits. 2 of them were snuggly. All 3 of them caused major damage to my belongings and home at some point.

Personalities change from animal to animal in every species, but rabbits by their very nature are difficult. I don't regret Bowser or the foster bunnies, but there's a reason I haven't gotten another.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

My rabbits personalities go like this:

Bitsy: I call her my little Devil Baby. She will destroy anything that she knows is of value to me. She will demand attention but not give a clue about what kind of attention she wants which ends up with her getting pissed off and being more destructive. Sometimes you can catch up to her while petting her and snuggle. There's even kissies involved sometimes but that will go in a few seconds. Very timid but outgoing. Also very moody. Heart can be won back with a treat. In fact, she would sell her soul for a treat.

Paterson: Misunderstood gentle giant. Who knows what he wants? Who knows if he's smart or retarded? Very moody and will shun for up to a week with no hope of even winning him over. Loves being petted on HIS terms but will NOT snuggle. Gets angry if his space is disturbed. Definitely a special needs pet who cannot be separated from Bitsy. Likes men more than women and bonds with them stronger and faster. Meaning, he loves my boyfriend who he has known for a year more than he loves me and I've had him for four. WFT Toushie?

I love them. I don't regret getting them. I will not get another rabbit ever though.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
I think you guys summed up some good points in the last two comments. I plan on having rabbits for the rest of my life, my next goal when these two pass away is to get a herd of huge rabbits (Flemish Giants, New Zealand's, etc) that will take over :3: My husband is allergic to everything else except birds so dogs and cats are out. Plus, I don't really dogs very much, but I love cats and agree that their personalities can be all over the place.

I love that rabbits are little angry fuckers who grunt and stomp.

I love that they do that hilarious digging motion on blankets and then get mad because they're not actually getting anywhere.

I love that Portia will DEMAND petting but only on the blue blanket in the corner with her butt at a 45 degree angle to the wall. She's the epitome of the :colbert: smilie.

I can post up a video when I get a chance. I will warn you now and then that I am not an "expert" and one always has to be careful handling rabbits due to their relatively fragile backs and necks.

Glasgow
Nov 7, 2009

I never think to ask except when they're doing it, so I'll ask now: What are the boys doing when they use their front paws to push things between their back paws? It's a digging motion, sorta. They do it with veggies and toys, pushing stuff between their back feet, hopping over it, and turning around and doing it again. Over and over. Are they trying to bury, or are they just retarded? (I know they're retarded, but does this mean anything?)

SiCk
Jul 4, 2003

My name's SiCk, and I'm the Biggest Idiot Ever!

Glasgow posted:

I never think to ask except when they're doing it, so I'll ask now: What are the boys doing when they use their front paws to push things between their back paws? It's a digging motion, sorta. They do it with veggies and toys, pushing stuff between their back feet, hopping over it, and turning around and doing it again. Over and over. Are they trying to bury, or are they just retarded? (I know they're retarded, but does this mean anything?)

Itchy feet perhaps? :/

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Glasgow posted:

Billy does this a lot when he's got access to a blanket. I think it's called bunching. Imagine them digging like that in their burrow in the wild, it would be a good way of getting all the loose dirt out. That's my theory. Either that or I remember being told about this somewhere earlier in this thread.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
Lola's getting spayed next Friday!

We had tried her with a different type of litter around the same time she decided she loved peeing on floors, so I switched her back to Yesterday's News yesterday. I also went out and bought more Urine Destroyer- that stuff is so loving amazing. I moved the couch yesterday and discovered that she had *covered* the floor underneath it with marking in the week and a half or so since I last cleaned under it. It was honestly shocking. I bought a ton of the urine destroyer stuff and a spray bottle. About a half liter later the floor looks like nothing ever happened. Woo!

Anyways, she's had a terrible last couple of days. They've been replacing our tub, so her cage keeps getting moved (they had to tear out drywall in her room) and there's loud noises everywhere. I'm really hoping she'll chill out between getting her favorite litter back and getting spayed. I decided to leave her cage moved out of the office, since I can see her a lot more when she's in the living room, I'm hoping that I or my fiance will be able to catch if the cat tries to invade again.

Also, I bought her some Oxbow orchard grass to try and some alfalfa hay as a supplement. Last time I tried to get her growing bunny pellets (Oxbow's alfalfa based ones) the store was sold out, I worry that she's not getting enough calories from the timothy pellets- she's the perfect body composition, but she eats a ton of pellets every day. I'm just giving her a small handful now, and I'll cut it down after she's spayed. She still has unlimited timothy hay in the cage. Do you guys think that'll be alright, or should I give her less alfalfa? She's 5 months old now, roughly.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
She can continue to have the alfalfa hay in addition to the timothy till she's about a year old (Clicky). I typically don't feed alfalfa pellets after 6 months, as long as they are getting some alfalfa hay. But, for many people it's easier to feed straight alfalfa pellets plus straight timothy hay; than two types of hay plus one or two types of pellets, so choose whatever combo works best for you and her.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

alucinor posted:

She can continue to have the alfalfa hay in addition to the timothy till she's about a year old (Clicky). I typically don't feed alfalfa pellets after 6 months, as long as they are getting some alfalfa hay. But, for many people it's easier to feed straight alfalfa pellets plus straight timothy hay; than two types of hay plus one or two types of pellets, so choose whatever combo works best for you and her.

Thanks! I was mostly concerned because my vet wanted her on restricted food as soon as she's spayed. She said Lola would get fat otherwise. She didn't, however, advise me as to which type of pellet to feed. I'll ask when I pick Lola up on Friday I guess.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I need some advice on transporting a rabbit. I'm most likely moving from New York to California in the next month, and since I'll need my car there I'm going to be driving accross country (in as little time as possible). My rabbit, Douglas, has traveled by car a few times but never for more than a few hours, and he doesn't particularly seem to enjoy the experience. I'm worried that a ~4 day trip in a car is just going to be too much for him. I don't really have anyone here who can take care of him and obviously I'd prefer to have him come with me (cause come on it's a house bunny). Does anyone have experience with this? I feel that I'm a pretty responsible rabbit owner, and if it's in his best interest to just give him to the ASPCA or something (which is actually who I adopted him from) I'd do it.... but that's really a last resort. Is there anything that can make travel by car easier on rabbits?

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
He should be fine. I transported a whole herd on a 3 day trip in a blinding snowstorm. I'm pretty sure I've posted advice about this somewhere upthread, but it boils down to:

1. Don't transport him in a cage. Get a hard-sided carrier; I prefer the ones with an open top like this - this medium size is better than the smaller one because you can add a small cat pan and have half the carrier be a pan containing a minuscule amount of litter, and half be towels. If he's too big for that, get a larger carrier and do without the pan. He doesn't need any toys or bowls or anything else in there; the less in there, the more room he'll have and the less opportunity to harm himself.
2. Leave a towel over the carrier so he's not freaking out about ever bridge that passes over like a giant hawk. Use towels on the floor of the carrier, not litter or newspaper, so he has good footing and doesn't make too much of a mess all over your car. Bring a pile of clean towels and a big trash bag for soiled towels so you can swap them out them every night with little effort.
3. If the temperature will be above 60 degrees outside, DO NOT leave him in the car unattended. Even at that temperature, on a sunny day it can get too hot and overheat him. If it's hotter than that anywhere on your route, you can't leave him in a totally closed up car even for 5 minutes while you pee. If it'll be snowy and bitterly cold, be sure your car is warmed up or wrap the carrier in layers of towels to hold heat in.
4. Fill the carrier with a nest of hay so he has something to eat without you worrying about pellets spilling everywhere. Give pellets at night. Take extra hay and make sure it's somewhere safe, like the front seat. (Friend of mine threw her 50lb box of Oxbow in the back of her truck, and it blew out on the interstate somewhere in BF-Ohio. She had to call me to locate the nearest Oxbow retailer for her.)
5. Give a small amount of wet veggies (damp lettuce or parsley, bell pepper, maybe cuke or apple or melon) every couple hours so he doesn't dehydrate. You can cut them up in advance and put them in tupperwares or ziploc baggies and they should be OK by the end of the drive as long as you can keep them sorta cool. Give the water bowl/bottle at night.
6. Plan out your route ahead of time and locate 24-hour rabbit-savvy emergency vets located no more every 8 hours along your path. This is the hardest part because it requires you to actually compile a list and then call and double-check that they can all see rabbits. This is also the part that most people skimp on, and invariably end up regretting it if they need it. Maybe it's easier for those accustomed to reliance on smart phones, but I wouldn't want to be frantically googling while driving if my rabbit was prostrate and I had no idea if the nearest rabbit e-vet would be 4 hours away or 12.
7. If you reach your hotel room and he doesn't explore/eat/drink/poop, go to the e-vet. At the very least they can give him some fluids if there's nothing obviously wrong.
8. Take some simethecone ("Little Tummies") with you just in case he gets bloated. That will help for the time it takes you to reach the next vet.
9. When you get to your destination, place the cage in a quiet room and let him adjust for a couple of days before being bombarded with new rooms/smells/people/etc.

Edit: Also, don't blast the radio; that tends to agitate them after a while. If you can, put him in the back and adjust the radio so it only uses the front speakers, or vice-versa.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I have two dwarf mixes. Actually, I think they're both part mini rex, is that the same thing? I intended to get big rabbits, because that was what I grew up with, but the shelter really only had dwarves at the time (seriously!), and these were the two animals that weren't afraid of my hands.

Pepper is three pounds of pure kick rear end. She frightens the cats. She's not really a tazmanian devil about things, but damnit, she WILL have her way. Camille's way more happy go lucky.

I will say that they're both chilling WAY the gently caress out on destroying things, because they're approaching two years old, and that seems to be the time when they stop biting through every cable on the floor. I can even leave my cell phone to charge on the floor, and it won't be subject to savage bunny attack.

Also,

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Bean posted:

Also,

When I show this to my wife, she'll say "SHUT. UP." and make this face :monocle: OR she'll groan out "Oooooooooh myyyy gawwwwwwwwwwwd, they'resocute!"

My wife really really REALLY wants to get another bunny to try to bond to Cilantro. The only thing stopping me is that Cilantro, bless her heart, has no incisors and therefore can't chew on poo poo, which makes my bunny-proofing way easier than it should be. I'm afraid having a second bun would lead to chaos.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

pseudonordic posted:

When I show this to my wife, she'll say "SHUT. UP." and make this face :monocle: OR she'll groan out "Oooooooooh myyyy gawwwwwwwwwwwd, they'resocute!"

My wife really really REALLY wants to get another bunny to try to bond to Cilantro. The only thing stopping me is that Cilantro, bless her heart, has no incisors and therefore can't chew on poo poo, which makes my bunny-proofing way easier than it should be. I'm afraid having a second bun would lead to chaos.

Aww it's not as hard as it seems. I'm sure that you would all be happy with a bonded pair. I love that I can be away from them and not feel super guilty. It's also really fun to watch them interact.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
Okay, so now that bathroom renovation is completed Lola has been moved back into the office. I've decided she needs to have zero contact with the cat for the forseeable future, since the peeing thing was getting utterly out of hand. She's doing better with the smaller space, more familiar cage placement, and lack of cats- she's still marking but not nearly as much. And she's actually going in her litter box again!

Last night she was being adorable all night. She was running around binkying while I was reading, then she let me pet her for a really long time- she would start to get up, then sort of flop her chin forward and go back to half-sleep. Right before bedtime she decided she wanted the ottoman to give her babies, and started running around the ottoman (with a blanket and my feet) in tight circles, grunting all the while.

She's getting spayed tomorrow morning!

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

dopaMEAN posted:

Okay, so now that bathroom renovation is completed Lola has been moved back into the office. I've decided she needs to have zero contact with the cat for the forseeable future, since the peeing thing was getting utterly out of hand. She's doing better with the smaller space, more familiar cage placement, and lack of cats- she's still marking but not nearly as much. And she's actually going in her litter box again!

Last night she was being adorable all night. She was running around binkying while I was reading, then she let me pet her for a really long time- she would start to get up, then sort of flop her chin forward and go back to half-sleep. Right before bedtime she decided she wanted the ottoman to give her babies, and started running around the ottoman (with a blanket and my feet) in tight circles, grunting all the while.

She's getting spayed tomorrow morning!

That's really going to help the marking also, but I'm sure you know that.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

Bunway Airlines posted:

That's really going to help the marking also, but I'm sure you know that.

If it doesn't, I know one rabbit that will be made into a delicious stew.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
Rabbits are fantastically unique little creatures, just not what people expect. They look so much cuter than they act. Annie is a destruction machine, but is MUCH more affectionate than Ben will ever be, but he barely chews on books. I like having buns because I can leave them hay and water and stay out all night, which was NOT the case when I lived with dogs for a while. It's the small things you'll get from bunnies, today Ben licked my fingers as a way of saying hi through the cage, that's huge, even though it seems really minuscule.

By the way, definitely get a buddy for Cilantro, rabbits are meant to be with other rabbits. You'll enjoy watching them so much. Just try not to get ones that play between dominant/co-dominant/submissive for a year. Annie and Ben had a few rough patches due to them being odd. They haven't fought in over 2 years, but I'm still not sure who's in charge...

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
My wife spilled her Chik-Fil-A lemonade on the carpet today and Cilantro just about had a poo poo fit. She's licking this new magically delicious spot on the carpet between fits of growling and lunging at my wife while she was patting the wet carpet to soak up the lemonade. "No this is my delicious carpet, get your own!"

Good times.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
Lola's doing well! She was pretty quiet last night, but she did eat a bunch of alfalfa and drink between when she got home and when I went to bed. This morning she was sluggish and sore looking. I gave her some meloxicam (which she is willing to take from me!) and within about an hour she was moving around and eating way more. After she was perked up she ate all of her veggies from the night before and started hopping and digging in her towel.

Should I be doing anything specific other than keeping an eye on her? The vet said to restrict her movement for 5-7 days, without any play time. I don't think her cage is big enough to go 5 days without any exercise time, what did you guys do? I haven't checked her sutures yet because I haven't had the heart to make her stand up- I'll do it after her afternoon painkiller dose I guess.

Glasgow
Nov 7, 2009

dopaMEAN posted:

Lola's doing well! She was pretty quiet last night, but she did eat a bunch of alfalfa and drink between when she got home and when I went to bed. This morning she was sluggish and sore looking. I gave her some meloxicam (which she is willing to take from me!) and within about an hour she was moving around and eating way more. After she was perked up she ate all of her veggies from the night before and started hopping and digging in her towel.

Should I be doing anything specific other than keeping an eye on her? The vet said to restrict her movement for 5-7 days, without any play time. I don't think her cage is big enough to go 5 days without any exercise time, what did you guys do? I haven't checked her sutures yet because I haven't had the heart to make her stand up- I'll do it after her afternoon painkiller dose I guess.

She'll be in enough pain or doped up enough that she probably won't want to run around for a few days. Just make sure her area is clean and yeah, I wouldn't try to pick her up or let her run around, sorry. Hopefully the sutures are the internal dissolving kind, or she might try to chew them, at which point she'll need a cone. otherwise, she'll probably lick the hell out of the area, this is normal.

Unrelated bitching:
Muta and Arthas are not making any progress. They're no longer aggressive, and occasionally sniff at each other through their pens now, but they *will not* groom each other. Their bonding sessions have reach a weird stalemate where both of them put their heads down but neither will groom. I've smeared banana into their foreheads in an attempt to facilitate licking, but that just seems to make them panicky, "Oh god, I smell delicious banana but MUST NOT LICK." It's frustrating. I'm just gonna keep up twice daily sessions until someone breaks.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Glasgow posted:

She'll be in enough pain or doped up enough that she probably won't want to run around for a few days. Just make sure her area is clean and yeah, I wouldn't try to pick her up or let her run around, sorry. Hopefully the sutures are the internal dissolving kind, or she might try to chew them, at which point she'll need a cone. otherwise, she'll probably lick the hell out of the area, this is normal.

Unrelated bitching:
Muta and Arthas are not making any progress. They're no longer aggressive, and occasionally sniff at each other through their pens now, but they *will not* groom each other. Their bonding sessions have reach a weird stalemate where both of them put their heads down but neither will groom. I've smeared banana into their foreheads in an attempt to facilitate licking, but that just seems to make them panicky, "Oh god, I smell delicious banana but MUST NOT LICK." It's frustrating. I'm just gonna keep up twice daily sessions until someone breaks.

My two did that for so long - and then Portia would get mad because no one was grooming her and bite Ender. We finally moved and that's what solved the issue, of course that's not an option for most. Car rides really helped with them, they actually went everywhere in a car for a few days and finally started grooming each other. Sorry they're being buttheads :(

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Glasgow posted:

Unrelated bitching:

You know what finally got Pepper to groom Camille? I had accidentally splashed some baytrill on Camille's head.

Peanut butter would be an alternative that you wouldn't need a prescription for.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Bunway Airlines posted:

My two did that for so long - and then Portia would get mad because no one was grooming her and bite Ender. We finally moved and that's what solved the issue, of course that's not an option for most. Car rides really helped with them, they actually went everywhere in a car for a few days and finally started grooming each other. Sorry they're being buttheads :(

I tried banana smeared on the foreheads too. Paterson just doesn't seem to understand grooming. He's getting better now though and will groom her just cuz :3:

Glasgow
Nov 7, 2009

Well, Muta chewed though zipties and a baby gate last night to get into Arthas' pen and sit by him. He didn't take this well, and proceeded to attempt to kick her rear end. I got in there before anybody got injured. At what point do I just accept that he doesn't like her?

In not-bitching news: A local family had their house burn down early this morning. They got one cat out, who panicked and bolted, but they know he's alive and hope he comes home, the other they later found alive in the wreckage of the garage. Both dogs died. A firefighter in the house somehow managed to catch their panicked bunny and bring him out unharmed, but he wouldn't eat or poop all day. The family can't afford to take him to a vet right now, obviously, so came in to the rescue today hoping we might have GI stasis meds. Some customers and volunteers gave them hay, carefresh, a litterbox, a carrier, an ex-pen, and some papaya. We put the bunny in a pen with some hay and gave him a belly rub to see if we could loosen him up. We watched him eat a bit and hop around, and prayed for him to poop. The family took their donated stuff out to the car and myself and one of the directors stood watch and finally...what's that? A poop! We open the door and cheer "He pooped!" The family starts to cry and hug everyone in the building. Best poop ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Glasgow posted:

In not-bitching news: A local family had their house burn down early this morning. They got one cat out, who panicked and bolted, but they know he's alive and hope he comes home, the other they later found alive in the wreckage of the garage. Both dogs died. A firefighter in the house somehow managed to catch their panicked bunny and bring him out unharmed, but he wouldn't eat or poop all day. The family can't afford to take him to a vet right now, obviously, so came in to the rescue today hoping we might have GI stasis meds. Some customers and volunteers gave them hay, carefresh, a litterbox, a carrier, an ex-pen, and some papaya. We put the bunny in a pen with some hay and gave him a belly rub to see if we could loosen him up. We watched him eat a bit and hop around, and prayed for him to poop. The family took their donated stuff out to the car and myself and one of the directors stood watch and finally...what's that? A poop! We open the door and cheer "He pooped!" The family starts to cry and hug everyone in the building. Best poop ever.

Jesus. Congrats on the poop!

...check your smoke detector batteries, guys :ohdear: