Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

philkop posted:

You can ride an SV650 on dirt. Probably posting this for the 10th time in this thread, but I knew a guy living in the backwoods of NH who just stuck bar risers and dual-purpose (giant trailie style) tyres on his SV and rode it around on unsurfaced roads at quite a pace.

Not saying it could handle "proper" off roading, but it can do most of what you'd be comfy doing on a "big" trailie like an XR650, XT660 etc.

So if you want to tour around on it and take a few dirt road diversions, it will actually work fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Ok now that I am finally moving and wont be able to bring my car with me, the urge to get a bike is very very strong.

Thinking bout these puppies:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/mcy/2146028765.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/2139430264.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/2137894847.html

I really just want something simple for scooting around town... but not a scooter.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

BlueBayou posted:

Ok now that I am finally moving and wont be able to bring my car with me, the urge to get a bike is very very strong.

Thinking bout these puppies:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/mcy/2146028765.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/2139430264.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/2137894847.html

I really just want something simple for scooting around town... but not a scooter.

Honestly, you're better off with something that's not ancient and clapped out.

Of the two ads that still show up, the CL175 "scrambler" is the better choice for what you want to do. The powerplant is supposed to be well designed and robust. However, you're looking at a single leading shoe, 6v electrics and an engine approaching its 40th birthday.

e: does the CL version even have electric start? The CB and CD should have, but not sure about the scrambler.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

Saga posted:

Honestly, you're better off with something that's not ancient and clapped out.

Of the two ads that still show up, the CL175 "scrambler" is the better choice for what you want to do. The powerplant is supposed to be well designed and robust. However, you're looking at a single leading shoe, 6v electrics and an engine approaching its 40th birthday.

e: does the CL version even have electric start? The CB and CD should have, but not sure about the scrambler.

Really im looking for something under 3k with a vintage feel to it. i really like the way the mid 70s CBs look. But maybe I am asking for too much

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I am looking at orders to Clearwater Florida for next year so I'm considering getting a commuter/streetbike to supplement my BMW R100GS. I'm planning on living a good 45-60 minutes from work so I'll need something comfortable that also fits the weekend flogging bill. My only experience with street bikes is feeling out a CBR600 in a showroom and it felt great. The other option is something familiar to me in a BMW R100RS. Coming from a dual sport background I'll need some carrying capacity in the form of soft bags. Will the CBR fill this role or is there something better? Beginner track days are a consideration too. I'm gonna come right out and say that an SV650 is right out for now too since I have been spoiled on newer bikes and they just plain don't appeal to me. I guess a good price range is around 5-7k for now. A Triumph speed triple or anything close has been calling me for a while too.

:supaburn: Away!

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

N183CS posted:

I am looking at orders to Clearwater Florida for next year so I'm considering getting a commuter/streetbike to supplement my BMW R100GS. I'm planning on living a good 45-60 minutes from work so I'll need something comfortable that also fits the weekend flogging bill. My only experience with street bikes is feeling out a CBR600 in a showroom and it felt great. The other option is something familiar to me in a BMW R100RS. Coming from a dual sport background I'll need some carrying capacity in the form of soft bags. Will the CBR fill this role or is there something better? Beginner track days are a consideration too. I'm gonna come right out and say that an SV650 is right out for now too since I have been spoiled on newer bikes and they just plain don't appeal to me. I guess a good price range is around 5-7k for now. A Triumph speed triple or anything close has been calling me for a while too.

:supaburn: Away!

Well, if you like the old GS, why not an R1200S or R1200ST (if you can find one)? If you find an ST, it will probably come with panniers.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
This is all gonna come down to personal comfort. A dedicated Supersport is going to be the best for trackdays, but something like a Z1000 might be better for commuting. Do you want naked or faired?

Comedy option: Aprilia Futura.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I'd prefer faired. My worry is that if I get a new-ish BMW it is gonna be a maintenance hog and/or I won't want to ride the GS any more. R1200S' are sexy though.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
There is a 2005 Ninja 250 near me with 8700 miles on CL for $1500. The only issue they mention is that it needs a new battery. Could this be a symptom of a bigger electrical problem that gets mentioned around here? To quote the text " I have an 05 kawasaki ninja 250 with 8716 miles on it. adult owned and well taken care of with routine oil changes. needs a new battery and i have title in hand. it was my first bike and i loved it but i upgraded. call or text"

Any thoughts?

And to those wondering why I'm looking at $1500 instead of $4000, my bonus wasn't nearly as good as it should have been..oh well.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Sounds like a good deal. Even if the charging system is toast it wouldn't be too expensive to fix it, figure you'd be ready to roll for under 2k. Also, check that the tires aren't too old or anything, that the chain and sprockets are in good shape, and that it had the valve adjustment done at 6k. If any of that stuff needs addressing, bargain him down!

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Awesome sounds great. I'm gonna send him an email and check it out. Thanks

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/2166252383.html

Doesnt have a price listed... i have no idea how much a bike like this usually runs. It's more or less exactly what i want... except maybe the fact that its running the original tires

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You know it's a two-stroke, right?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

BlueBayou posted:

Doesnt have a price listed... i have no idea how much a bike like this usually runs. It's more or less exactly what i want... except maybe the fact that its running the original tires

Original tyres??? How do you mean? I doubt it, given the age of the bike and the fact that they haven't more or less completely decomposed.

On the original bore size and rebuilt 1k ago - unless the PO forgot the oil, it should run forever.

Does anyone see an oil tank in those pictures? Because premix is a bit of a PITA on a commuter.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlueBayou posted:

I saw it before it got flagged. Don't buy an RD350 as your second bike. It's just not a good idea, they've got a really harsh powerband. Nice bikes though.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Ok, how bout something like this:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/mcy/2163596160.html

I'm chomping at the bit to get a new bike, but also willing to wait for the right one.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Buy a 250, mod it with a headlight. Seriously. You don't want the headache of an old machine with unavailable parts etc.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

Z3n posted:

Buy a 250, mod it with a headlight. Seriously. You don't want the headache of an old machine with unavailable parts etc.

ffffiiinnneeeee

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlueBayou posted:

ffffiiinnneeeee

:ohdear:

I know it feels like a cop out but it'll seriously be the best. You don't want to be trying to figure out exactly how to tickle the carbs on a 125 to get it to start while kicking the poo poo out of it.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

Z3n posted:

I know it feels like a cop out but it'll seriously be the best. You don't want to be trying to figure out exactly how to tickle the carbs on a 125 to get it to start while kicking the poo poo out of it.

ninjas are just so boring. But it is probably for the best. I already know how to do a lot of the wrenching. i have some spare parts. but so boring

so boring

I want a sexy vintage bike.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Vintage bikes look so cool and work so lovely. I've been there. If you are good at wrenching and have tools and don't mind working on it a lot, that's one thing, but otherwise I would stick with 80s+ bikes in good condition. And stay away from two-strokes, sweet jesus.

I will say that I have a fondness for kicking bikes over.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

So you mean the sorts of issues she had with her last 250?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
If you aren't retarded I don't think an RD350 is the worst second bike in the world by any stretch. I would note that my RD350 has about a 50 mile range at best and seems to get about 20mpg. Also you really don't want to buy a bike that has sat for a long time then someone has just gotten it running. Apparently that's bad for the bottom end and you'll end up losing the trans seal pretty quickly.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

So you mean the sorts of issues she had with her last 250?

I'm trying to save myself some phone calls and save her some time wrenching here! :xd: At least the 250 issues were generally fixable and had decent parts availability.

And n8r your RD runs like poo poo if you're only getting 50 miles out of it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

He can't see you through the smoke, hear you through the noise, or read that through the ignore.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

Z3n posted:

I'm trying to save myself some phone calls and save her some time wrenching here! :xd: At least the 250 issues were generally fixable and had decent parts availability.

And n8r your RD runs like poo poo if you're only getting 50 miles out of it.

I actually have a friend here at Cal who rebuilds CBs, so he'd have gotten the majority of the calls.

And yeaaahhh my 250 did have all sorts of issues. Though it turns out one of the biggest issues I had stemmed from the fact that I was low on gas..... sssoooooooo, that's fun.

Im going to look out for ninjas. The problem is that I am always so skeptical. I feel like they go from beginner to beginner who just drive the crap out of them with very little maintenance.

On the bright side, now I have a proper indoor space to store the bike, so no more getting knocked over by douchebags who hit and run my poor helpless bike.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Normally I wouldn't reply to z3n but I was forced to read his post because Bluebayou insisted on quoting him.

My RD is pretty modified with porting/expanion chambers/wiseco pistons/modified carbs. I also ride exclusively around town and pretty short trips on it so that affects it. That being said:

quote:

Figure about 26 miles to the gallon if you were loose with the loud handle.
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/flashback/122_9609_yamaha_rd350/index.html

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=453255
I never could get gas mileage from the thing though seemed to always be 18 to 22 mpg when all my friends on 4t's was in the 40's to 50mpg.

I probably get 20-25mpg if I was really forced to swear on the holy bible. I've never really done any long cruises where I could get a good idea of what the MPG would be for highway traveling.

I would guess on a good day with a stock RD in proper tune would get 30mpg at best. Then you have to throw in the premix cost as well. Whatever it's a toy and I definitely don't care about the mpg.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

He can't see you through the smoke, hear you through the noise, or read that through the ignore.

I just love giving him poo poo cause I know he'll reply, despite "having me on ignore". :xd:

BlueBayou posted:

I actually have a friend here at Cal who rebuilds CBs, so he'd have gotten the majority of the calls.

And yeaaahhh my 250 did have all sorts of issues. Though it turns out one of the biggest issues I had stemmed from the fact that I was low on gas..... sssoooooooo, that's fun.

Im going to look out for ninjas. The problem is that I am always so skeptical. I feel like they go from beginner to beginner who just drive the crap out of them with very little maintenance.

On the bright side, now I have a proper indoor space to store the bike, so no more getting knocked over by douchebags who hit and run my poor helpless bike.

250s do see a lot of abuse but the beauty of the bike is most people "outgrow" them before they see more than about 10k and as long as the oil gets changed the bikes will still go the distance.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I got 27k on mine before it died, so they can go at least that far :rimshot:

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

I just love giving him poo poo cause I know he'll reply, despite "having me on ignore".

Stop posting man, I have you on ignore for a reason! :nyd:

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
How silly would it be to buy like a Honda 70 trail? Assuming they are street legal. My dad used to have one and they are adorbs.

nvm they are TINY

I passed two Thruxtons on the way to class this morning. So sexy. ssiiigghhh

BlueBayou fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 19, 2011

Rinn
Apr 11, 2007
Too Slow!
College Slice
I'm looking to buy my second motorcycle pretty soon, I've been riding a Honda Rebel 250 for the last year and a half and it's not cutting it anymore, especially since I live in LA and taking that thing on the 405 is awful going uphill in and out of the valley.

I want to get a sportbike in the 600cc range, like the Ninja650r or the CBR600RR. I was considering a Ducati but I don't like how the Monster looks, I like the Streetfighter but I think that would be too much power for me and out of my price range. Any other recommendation or thoughts would be really helpful, this will be my first sportsbike and I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

Rinn fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 21, 2011

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Rinn posted:

I'm looking to buy my second motorcycle pretty soon, I've been riding a Honda Rebel 250 for the last year and a half and it's not cutting it anymore, especially since I live in LA and taking that thing on the 405 is awful going uphill in and out of the valley.

I want to get a sportbike in the 600cc range, like the Ninja650r or the CBR600RR. I was considering a Ducati but I don't like how the Monster looks, I like the Streetfighter but I think that would be too much power for me and out of my price range. Any other recommendation or thoughts would be really helpful, this will be my first sportsbike and I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

The ER6f / Ninja650r isn't a sports bike, which is handy, given that you've been riding a 250 Rebel.

Finish (or rather how well it survives) is pretty awful on them, but as you're in LA, it's not going to see much salt. They are, however, very fuel efficient, make more than adequate power for freeway use, but have a fairly restrained power to weight ratio, so they would be a good choice for a step up from the Rebel. Also, comfy.

If you want a Duke, used 750 or 900 supersports from the second half of the 90s (or the short-lived successors) can be good buys for a moderately powerful bike with good handling. They're much slower steering than modern stuff though - there's a certain knack to riding them - and you would want one in very good condition with a fully documented service history.

e: other bikes in that category - Yamaha FZ6R, Kawsaki's own Versys (many would say a better bike than the 650R) and the ER6n (naked version of the 650R); used Honda 599; Suzuki SV650 or Gladius.

Saga fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 21, 2011

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Saga posted:

The ER6f / Ninja650r isn't a sports bike, which is handy, given that you've been riding a 250 Rebel.

Seconding this, do not get a CBR600RR as your second bike, it will kill you.

I feel like a broken record sometimes, but if you're set on a four-cylinder bike, have a look at Suzuki GSF650 and GSX650F, you should be able to find them really cheap because "LOL Suckzuki" etc.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

because "LOL Suckzuki" etc.

I think we should club together and buy Silver a Paso 750 on condition that he has to record his experiences in a thread.

No food pictures though.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Not saying that you should necessarily get a CBR600RR if you're cross-shopping them with Ninja 650Rs, but I think a 600cc sportbike is acceptable for a second bike and a year and a half or riding, depending on the rider. I've ridden for a year and a half (but owned four bikes) and have already done trackdays, cross-country touring, and just generally put a poo poo-ton of miles down, so it depends entirely on the rider.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Rinn posted:

SV650? Reliable, quick, cheap, plentiful.

The thing about 600s is that they are geared so stupid tall for street riding that you can never really use the power until you're reaching illegal speeds. When it comes to middleweight streetbikes, you want a twin or a triple, not an I4.

The sad thing is a ninja 250 would be a big step up from the rebel..

Rinn
Apr 11, 2007
Too Slow!
College Slice
I assumed sport because that's what Kawasaki groups the Ninja under, what would the cbr be comparable to? The ninja zx-6r? Yeah that's really not a bike I'd be comfortable getting, something comparable to the Ninja 650R is what I'm looking for. I don't really like the aesthetics of the Versys, but I might look at the sv650.

This bike will probably never be in a climate anywhere near snow so I'm not worried about salt damage.

Rinn fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 21, 2011

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, the CBR600RR is comparable to the ZX-6R. Currently, Honda doesn't have anything in the US comparable to the Ninja 650R. I'm not even sure if they have anything elsewhere. Z3n listed everything comparable to the Ninja 650 with the exception of the Suzuki V-Strom 650 (which is more of a competitor to the Versys, but still worth noting). The smaller Ducati Monsters are also similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, the CBR600RR is comparable to the ZX-6R. Currently, Honda doesn't have anything in the US comparable to the Ninja 650R. I'm not even sure if they have anything elsewhere. Z3n listed everything comparable to the Ninja 650 with the exception of the Suzuki V-Strom 650 (which is more of a competitor to the Versys, but still worth noting). The smaller Ducati Monsters are also similar.

Honda had the CB500 and now has the CBF600. It makes a bit more power than the ER, but the delivery isn't sportsbike (nor are the looks, unfortunately!). Also confusingly not the same as the CB600F (aka Hornet aka "599").

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Honda/Honda-CBF600-2008-current/