Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Kafka Esq. fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Koine posted:

As a matter of curiosity, why? My experiences with sales managers has been that they never stick around in the same job for much longer than a year. Makes them seem like they have wanderlust, searching around for some kind of perfect job.

Edit: maybe I'm underrating where an MBA would place me, as those guys aren't really the boss of anything so much as glorified inside sales people.

Well, for reference I'm talking about the higher end B2B positions (you know, real careers). This is just anecdotal, but we had a number of them come and guest lecture during sales and marketing classes, and most had been with their respective companies for a long time and were among the better paid employees, usually getting as much or more than senior management when all bonuses were factored in (off the top of my head I remember the North American sales manager for AT&T, the head of sales for P&G who talked almost entirely about Wal-Mart, and the head of overseas sales for Dell).

If you don't like sales then disregard of course, but your post made me think that you both liked and had some aptitude for sales; that plus your experience coupled with a quality MBA is a pretty marketable skill set that could put you in line to work in one of those departments above.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
http://www.leveragedsellout.com

I just stumbled on this blog. It's a refreshingly hilarious take on being young and in finance.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I tend to get pie-in-the-sky optimistic at times, so I'm going to put this out here in case I need a big wet dose of reality.

I was originally going to apply to business school early in 2011/2012 cycle, but I'm considering sending out a few in round 3 of the current cycle. I'm stuck in a job that looks fantastic on paper but pays absolute poo poo. Word came down that I'm getting moved to salary and that there's a company-wide pay freeze. I get a fair bit of overtime so it amounts to a ~10% pay cut in a job that's already paying ~30-50% below regional market pay ($41k vs. $55-65k) - so it seems like a good time to GTFO to me.

Here's what I have going for me:
- 4.5 years of work experience as a tech writer and systems analyst (software/healthcare IT industry), with experience in mentoring, project management, and product development.
- 4 years of solid volunteering experience, again with some leadership roles.
- 700V / 770Q GRE
- Excellent recommendations, including the recently-retired CEO of my previous employer (who's a wildly successful entrepreneur and thinks I'm the bees' knees).

Here's what I have going against me:
- No GMAT scores, and not enough time to study and take it for this cycle.
- 2.8 GPA from a no-name undergrad... in English. Most of the damage was done in a single semester when I should have formally withdrawn. I did very well later on, including As in my hard science courses. I was an English/Physics dual major until Katrina hosed me over.
- Not a minority. Have a :dong:.

I was thinking of applying to some combination of Duke, UVa, and Michigan, as they seem to be slightly less selective but still well-regarded, and they accept the GRE. Do I have a shot, or am I flushing $450 down the toilet?

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
I would wait... Round 3 is extremely selective in top schools- at that point they've only got a few seats to fill, and a pretty good idea of who they need to round out the class (e.g. they might be looking only for someone with clean-tech VC experience in China or something random like that). I would feel much better taking the GMAT, working really hard on your applications, and submitting in Round 1 for the next year.

The undergrad record should not be too much of an issue. It will be noticed, so I would make a point of talking about it in the application (in a positive way, e.g. you struggled until you found a career you were passionate about, and exhibited tons of growth since then).

Regarding the recommendations - it's best if they are very personal and describe specific anecdotes or experiences that illustrate your qualities (e.g., "this one time our project was falling behind, and Morris stepped up and set new goals for the team that brought everyone together). Those seem to go over better than recommendations that just consist of a list of adjectives ("he's so smart, hardworking," etc etc).

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
So kahn academy did all the problems for the gmat review 11th edition but not the 12th. Am I safe to assume there should be little to no difference in content? Meaning, would I be missing out on anything by getting the 11th edition and not the 12th since there are video tutorials for the 11th but not the 12th?

Edit: Also how do you guys feel about University of San Francisco's MBA program? Im going to graduate in June with a BA in econ and I am looking at their "career advantage" program which is geared towards people with little work experience or those who had just graduated.

madkapitolist fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 18, 2011

xdimitrix
Nov 21, 2003
D.B. Cooper

madkapitolist posted:

Edit: Also how do you guys feel about University of San Francisco's MBA program? Im going to graduate in June with a BA in econ and I am looking at their "career advantage" program which is geared towards people with little work experience or those who had just graduated.

Don't do it. You will waste 2 years and tons of money going to a less than stellar mba program. Once you get out with no work experience, you will have extreme difficulty finding a job. You will still only be qualified for entry level jobs at entry level pay. And you will have shot your wad, unable to do an MBA program at the traditional time where it might actually boost your pay enough to be worth it.

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

Ravage the land as never before, total destruction from mountain to shore!

xdimitrix posted:

Don't do it. You will waste 2 years and tons of money going to a less than stellar mba program. Once you get out with no work experience, you will have extreme difficulty finding a job. You will still only be qualified for entry level jobs at entry level pay. And you will have shot your wad, unable to do an MBA program at the traditional time where it might actually boost your pay enough to be worth it.

This, this, and this for anyone who is graduating with their BS/BA and thinking about an MBA immediately after school. Do not do it. The MBA is not a JD. You will only get use out of it if you have real work experience and a career that can be boosted.

Irish Thunder
Apr 20, 2006

What are the credentials of a "Tech MBA?" For example: http://www.mtu.edu/business/mba/online/

Would this hold up well? I can't see this being too reputable vs. a real MBA. Also, do employers look down on Weekend/Weeknight MBA's vs. Full Time MBAs?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

Ravage the land as never before, total destruction from mountain to shore!

Koine posted:

In my situation, I'll have seven years work experience in sales, but at a smallish family store, with nowhere to go upward. Should I consider it then? I don't want to put off my future much longer than I have already.

I mean, I have a certain amount of contacts in the appliance industry but it's not exactly where I want my future to be, and it's not exactly the best industry to be in right now either.

Gotcha. In that situation, going for an MBA immediately after the BA is fine.

That said, where do you want to take your career? That will better answer the question of whether it's worth doing an MBA now, or starting on the new career path.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

edit: nvmd.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Koine posted:

Where do I want my career to go? Sustainable development in particular. MBAs without borders, or selling more energy efficient technology, that sort of thing. I've already had my taste of it in appliances, now I want to do it large scale.

That's a great reason to go for an MBA.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Koine posted:

I hope so. I just hope having a history degree with a B average isn't going to weigh too heavily against getting into a school like that.

Just push the sustainable development line really hard. Schools are into that right now, and if I looked around my MBA class of 50 students I'd say 20 are marketing and 20 are finance with the other 10 being 'econ/real estate/operations' and one guy in sustainability. Make yourself stand out and your grades and major won't have as big an impact. Oh but do try and do well on the GMATs, the one sustainability guy in my program got a 710 so I'm sure that helped him a tad.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
I'm an older college grad (B.S. in Finance) in my early 40's thinking about getting my MBA from a state college. My objective is to move up the ranks into senior management in the technology area. I have 14 years experience in software development, and I currently have a management title, but basically do mid-developer type programming work with no staff, working for an international company. My salary is right under $120K. I don't see any opportunities to move up in my company.

Would it benefit me to quit work and spend two years getting my MBA? I don't think my company will be supportive of assisting me with my education, and I'm not crazy about doing night school.

For conservative estimates, I assume tuition for the 2-year program would cost around $40K, and my living expenses for 2 years around $60K (mortgage, health insurance, food, etc.). I've got a lot more than $100K saved (even more than my 401K), and would be swing-trading in equities while in school (very short-term focused). In 2 years I would be set back $120K but come out with an MBA.

Is this a good idea, or should I continue on my existing job? I live well with my current salary but would like to make myself more able to move up the management ranks. If we have another economic downturn I don't think I could get a job with the same salary for what I currently do.

I have pretty good study skills and work well in teams so I know I could handle the academic environment again. Just not sure of the opportunity cost at my age.

Mövenpick
Aug 15, 2004
vanilla eis

nnnotime posted:

I'm an older college grad (B.S. in Finance) in my early 40's thinking about getting my MBA from a state college. My objective is to move up the ranks into senior management in the technology area. I have 14 years experience in software development, and I currently have a management title, but basically do mid-developer type programming work with no staff, working for an international company. My salary is right under $120K. I don't see any opportunities to move up in my company.

Would it benefit me to quit work and spend two years getting my MBA? I don't think my company will be supportive of assisting me with my education, and I'm not crazy about doing night school.

For conservative estimates, I assume tuition for the 2-year program would cost around $40K, and my living expenses for 2 years around $60K (mortgage, health insurance, food, etc.). I've got a lot more than $100K saved (even more than my 401K), and would be swing-trading in equities while in school (very short-term focused). In 2 years I would be set back $120K but come out with an MBA.

Is this a good idea, or should I continue on my existing job? I live well with my current salary but would like to make myself more able to move up the management ranks. If we have another economic downturn I don't think I could get a job with the same salary for what I currently do.

I have pretty good study skills and work well in teams so I know I could handle the academic environment again. Just not sure of the opportunity cost at my age.

I think an Executive MBA or 1 year program would be more suited for you. They're typically geared to more senior professionals looking to move up without the 2-year time commitment.

Info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Business_Administration#Basic_types_of_MBA_programs
& Rankings
http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/03/emba_rank.htm

Not sure where you're located but do you plan on staying with your current company, changing careers, or moving to another firm but at a higher position? Think about what you want to do after your MBA and that should guide you toward the type of program that's right for you.

Mövenpick fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 25, 2011

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Mövenpick posted:

I think an Executive MBA or 1 year program would be more suited for you. They're typically geared to more senior professionals looking to move up without the 2-year time commitment.

Info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Business_Administration#Basic_types_of_MBA_programs
& Rankings
http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/03/emba_rank.htm

Not sure where you're located but do you plan on staying with your current company, changing careers, or moving to another firm but up?
Thanks for the info.

I'd like to move to another firm that could provide better management opportunities. I don't plan on changing careers, though I could easily change industries.

I've known people who did an Executive MBA but they had sponsorship of their current employer and stayed with their company.

If I just quit my job and went for the MBA, would the 2-year MBA be seen more favorable than a 1-year Executive MBA? I don't mind doing 2 years if that seems more valuable. Plus, I don't mind the extra study time.

T0MSERV0
Jul 24, 2007

You shouldn't expect to defeat him, he is designed to be a war machine.

nnnotime posted:

Executive MBA?

Actually, this brings up a question that I've been wondering about : how well are executive MBAs received vs regular ones? The company I work for, for example, will pay tuition for a part time MBA, but won't pay anything for an executive MBA, implying that it doesn't think the EMBA's worth much. Is that a normal viewpoint? Would it be worth it for someone who had a regular MBA to go back and get the executive one as well (after the customary extra experience/company level/etc.)?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

T0MSERV0 posted:

Actually, this brings up a question that I've been wondering about : how well are executive MBAs received vs regular ones? The company I work for, for example, will pay tuition for a part time MBA, but won't pay anything for an executive MBA, implying that it doesn't think the EMBA's worth much. Is that a normal viewpoint? Would it be worth it for someone who had a regular MBA to go back and get the executive one as well (after the customary extra experience/company level/etc.)?
I would guess the primary reason is that EMBAs are much more expensive. On a possibly unrelated note, you tend to have more limited course offerings because they're usually weekend-only. This is from faculty's perspective.

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
EMBAs are usually intended for mid-career executives, not people with just a couple years of work experience. Companies do pay for them, but mainly for seasoned managers who are being groomed for promotion to senior positions. This is a different situation than a company-sponsored regular MBA, which typically is undertaken much earlier in the career track and serves a different purpose.

There is no point in getting an EMBA after a regular MBA. The EMBA course content is usually a subset of what you learn in a full-time MBA. EMBAs are more expensive because the target audience is less sensitive to price.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

T0MSERV0 posted:

It's the opposite at my company (mid sized defense contractor). Getting a part time MBA only requires the approval of your immediate manager. Going for an Executive MBA requires approval from a VP (so 4 levels above where most people are at rather than 1) due to the extra cost and time commitment. At the local state school for a Part Time MBA you are looking at about 27k over 3 years or so. For the EMBA program it's more like 50k over a 18 months with at least one multi-week trip abroad.

Basically anybody who isn't a screw up can go for a part time MBA, but for an EMBA you have to be on the short list of employees that are expected to become Directors or VPs within a few years.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 30, 2011

dodatron
Dec 19, 2004

lambda equals h times c over E, bitches
I'm in the middle of a 1 year MBA program in Canada, and am looking for something to set me apart from the others in my class. I've got a physics / math undergrad degree, and worked as a project manager for a real estate consultant for a few years.

I'm contemplating focusing on management consulting / change management or finance / economics, and am having a hard time deciding on what designation to work for while I'm here.

I think my background (math based) would fit well in finance, I'm just worried about making such a big change in my career path. Does anyone have experience with the CMC (certified mgmt consultant), CFA, or PRM designations?

bandaid
Jan 13, 2008
I am 24 years old, and have a BA in Psychology. Somehow in the almost 2 years out of college, I now own a profitable transportation company. People have told me that I can get into almost any MBA program, because one I accept, I am a student/graduate who went on to open a X million a year company, blah, blah,...

Is this true? Should I look into this? Is this a good idea, or potential waste of a ton of money? If all hell doesn't fall apart, I could work for myself for a long time, and not get the benefits of a higher salary because of the program, but then again, MBA > no MBA.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

bandaid posted:

I am 24 years old, and have a BA in Psychology. Somehow in the almost 2 years out of college, I now own a profitable transportation company. People have told me that I can get into almost any MBA program, because one I accept, I am a student/graduate who went on to open a X million a year company, blah, blah,...

Is this true? Should I look into this? Is this a good idea, or potential waste of a ton of money? If all hell doesn't fall apart, I could work for myself for a long time, and not get the benefits of a higher salary because of the program, but then again, MBA > no MBA.

I know a couple of folks with similar biographies. There were two in my program who had started their own companies, both were able to keep running the business while in school (I don't know if this would apply to you). They both did MBAs to get the skill set and apply it to their companies, both were pretty happy with the decision as far as I know.

Another one was a guy who opened a very successful cookie shop while an undergrad; he sold it after a couple of years and basically funded his MBA with the sale as he didn't want to make cookies for the rest of his life.

As far as your application goes, starting the company is a really nice thing to have but it won't compensate if you're applying to a good program with a 2.5 GPA or a 500 GMAT or something. On the other hand, there honestly isn't a whole lot of difference in the quality of theinformation taught between great, good, and average programs, so if you're going to school with the intent of adding an MBA skillset to help you run your business, you could largely disregard school rankings as going to a top school won't matter much to you.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

bandaid posted:

Not a waste of money at all. The MBA will completely open your eyes to the various disciplines available to improve just about any business, more so your own. You'll learn how to use your data to tell you a story (business statistics), how to get advertising to increase profit (marketing), how to streamline your processes (operations management), and different ways to grow your business through capital expenditures (finance). To name a few.

A good chunk of the early material is going to come real easy for you since you already have solid working experience.

bandaid
Jan 13, 2008
Thanks for the information, I will definitely look into it. It would have to be night classes at what I think is a good school. I had a bad GPA the first year, but great GPA the other 3 years as an undergrad, and a pretty impressive resume. Just have to figure out what the GMAT is all about. The only thing that worries me, is that I already have a ton of loans, and shouldn't be taking any more student loans out. Although, MBA means 2.5 years, no interest...

Thanks!

EmptyGenius
Jul 9, 2007

dodatron posted:

I think my background (math based) would fit well in finance, I'm just worried about making such a big change in my career path. Does anyone have experience with the CMC (certified mgmt consultant), CFA, or PRM designations?

I've passed level 2 of the CFA and can probably answer most of your questions about it. I would only consider it if you are serious about getting into investment management, quantitative finance analysis, or securities research, etc. That said, the designation is highly appreciated in the industry, and can certainly help you get interviews.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Well, a friend of mine just got accepted into MIT's MBA program (after being rejected from Harvard ha ha ha!)

If anyone has a question you'd like to pass on, I'll be happy to do so.

One thing I think EVERYONE would be interested to hear is that apparently they didn't even contact his references. What he did was, he looked up the questions they ask reference-givers on Google, drafted the replies for his reference-givers, sent them the stuff he typed, and they read it over, made whatever edits they wanted, then submitted them to the school. When he told his givers that he got in, it was as much of a pleasant surprise to them as they hadn't received any contact from MIT at all!

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Agent Escalus posted:

Well, a friend of mine just got accepted into MIT's MBA program (after being rejected from Harvard ha ha ha!)

If anyone has a question you'd like to pass on, I'll be happy to do so.

One thing I think EVERYONE would be interested to hear is that apparently they didn't even contact his references. What he did was, he looked up the questions they ask reference-givers on Google, drafted the replies for his reference-givers, sent them the stuff he typed, and they read it over, made whatever edits they wanted, then submitted them to the school. When he told his givers that he got in, it was as much of a pleasant surprise to them as they hadn't received any contact from MIT at all!

I'd be interested to know where he went to undergrad and what he did in between graduating and getting accepted.

brainguy
Jan 25, 2007

Why be Toolsy when you can be Gumby
Does anyone have any advice for the quantitative section of the GMAT? I have been studying for this drat thing for awhile now & keep managing a 490 on practice exams because I am horrible at the quant section. I'm not stupid by any means but I don't remember a lot of this garbage & I really struggle at it. I have a strong desire to do well (well enough) on this thing but it is getting amazingly frustrating. I generally have the right idea on most problems but get stuck at some point so I don't really know what to do.

DrunkenDiablo
Nov 13, 2006
Carbombs!!
First figure out what the wrong answers are. I found that when I really got stuck sometimes I would just plug the answers in and see what was right. I think its very much a "process" test and not "are you excellent at math" test.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

brainguy posted:

Does anyone have any advice for the quantitative section of the GMAT? I have been studying for this drat thing for awhile now & keep managing a 490 on practice exams because I am horrible at the quant section. I'm not stupid by any means but I don't remember a lot of this garbage & I really struggle at it. I have a strong desire to do well (well enough) on this thing but it is getting amazingly frustrating. I generally have the right idea on most problems but get stuck at some point so I don't really know what to do.

Make sure you're practicing arithmetic. The problems are really pretty easy, especially if you're not scoring in the upper echelons, it is the arithmetic that can be tricky as hell as none of us do it anymore.

Also, slow down and read the entire problem carefully. I always found I took less time to do a problem if I spent the time to read it carefully the first time, which is something I'm not really prone to doing.

Fiesty Francis
Apr 7, 2005

At least if I'd studied literature I might be able to spell `feisty'

dodatron posted:

I'm in the middle of a 1 year MBA program in Canada, and am looking for something to set me apart from the others in my class. I've got a physics / math undergrad degree, and worked as a project manager for a real estate consultant for a few years.

I'm contemplating focusing on management consulting / change management or finance / economics, and am having a hard time deciding on what designation to work for while I'm here.

I've completed the 3 levels of the CFA. I didn't find the program that difficult, but I studied my rear end off for it. Given the relatively low pass rates, it seems most people underestimate the effort required.

If you enjoyed your math background, you might also look in to becoming an actuary.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I took a practice GMAT the other day and holy gently caress is it going to be a lot more studying than I had anticipated to do well on this thing. I took the CPA exam and passed with flying colors so I was hoping that the GMAT would have to do with...you know...business questions, not 9th grade geometry logic problems. The verbal doesn't look so bad but I haven't dealt with factoring or geometry or anything since high school, and then poorly.

Plus my girlfriend got a 780 on hers (after studying 7 months) and of course I must beat her score

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
I've been doing the practice problems for a while, and yeah the quantitative problems suck rear end. GMAC really loves those "Machine A and Machine B" problems, also "Train A and Train B" and "Worker A and Worker B" and arhlgharhgh

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Cyrezar posted:

I was hoping that the GMAT would have to do with...you know...business questions, not 9th grade geometry logic problems. The verbal doesn't look so bad but I haven't dealt with factoring or geometry or anything since high school, and then poorly.

Yup. One of my friends walked in with no studying and got a 790 (High School math teacher)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I'm relatively fresh out of college and making six figures in a technical field. It's increasingly clear to me that I'll hit a career/salary ceiling unless I switch to the business side of things.

How difficult is it to get into a top MBA school? And what do people think of the international programs like INSEAD and Said? I went to a top-3 US school for my undergrad major and have very good numbers. Very international work experiences. But my gut tells me it must be nigh impossible to get into places like Harvard or Stanford.