Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
So, I'm thinking of renting this game and then later buying it, if I think it's fun or not(most likely) but, what DLC should I buy from the gate? barring Undead Nightmare, because I'd like that after I'm done the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Brace posted:

So, I'm thinking of renting this game and then later buying it, if I think it's fun or not(most likely) but, what DLC should I buy from the gate? barring Undead Nightmare, because I'd like that after I'm done the game.

I got everything but the Legends & Killers pack, because that's all PvP and I'm just no good at that.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

downfall posted:

I'm on Xbox, so I'm not sure about PS3. There are quite a few people who are just really good...

I forgot about Deadeye, I never use it. Always end up dying while I'm trying to find a little green orb or get killed before I have a chance to use it. And I can never find anyone playing hardcore PvP so I just play a lot of casual like a big dumb babby.

Found out the hard way, repeatedly, how easy it is to get killed even while behind cover. I used that to my advantage against some top-of-the-leaderboard prick one time by shooting his one exposed hand till he died, that felt pretty good. Other than that I have a real straightforward approach and try not to intentionally abuse the game mechanics, so gently caress anyone who systematically does.

Someone mentioned a "lag switch" during a game once, and whatever that is it seemed to have the side effect of making the match take forever to load.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
anyone playing hardcore notic those native american dudes who wrekc shop?

Nawa nikwanak or something Naxa, these two cats are just ill.

Also some NT clan terrorizes in my experience.

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW

downfall posted:

As far as hacks and actual mods - I don't know anything about them, and I can't find any solid info on Google or anything. I've played against people that I assume would have to be using something (like that wall hanging guy). There are guys who abuse weird glitches in the game itself - like being able to roll multiple times in a row (there's usually a delay), or roll one way and then immediately back the other. These are the guys who are mostly at the top of the leaderboards.

I wish there was a hack/mod for changing player models. The criminals in the outfitter really pale in comparison to the bandits wearing those cool heavy dusters.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

No homo posted:

I wish there was a hack/mod for changing player models. The criminals in the outfitter really pale in comparison to the bandits wearing those cool heavy dusters.

This is gonna sound weird, but after long sessions in the middle of the main story I often felt a pressing urge to take a shower and get a close shave; just from looking at Marston's matted hair and sweaty/muddy clothes for hours. Also the rooms and beds he sleeps in. Meeting Seth didn't help things either.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Underflow posted:

This is gonna sound weird, but after long sessions in the middle of the main story I often felt a pressing urge to take a shower and get a close shave; just from looking at Marston's matted hair and sweaty/muddy clothes for hours. Also the rooms and beds he sleeps in. Meeting Seth didn't help things either.
Marston's Treasure Hunter outfit gives me that feeling too. He just looks like he smells awful and he looks really uncomfortable. I also got that "need a shower and a shave" feeling while watching the HBO series, Deadwood.

At least the room in Blackwater is pretty nice, clean, and doesn't have any holes in the wall or ceiling.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
So I haven't picked up this game since about late November when I finished off UN. Have there been any announcements about future expansions?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
So, I bought Undead Nightmare on a whim, having finished AC:Brotherhood and hankering for some more gameplay, and it's reminded me how much I loved John over Jack (Just in case). Please God tell me there's now a way to stay with him forever...

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Shockeh posted:

So, I bought Undead Nightmare on a whim, having finished AC:Brotherhood and hankering for some more gameplay, and it's reminded me how much I loved John over Jack (Just in case). Please God tell me there's now a way to stay with him forever...

You haven't finished undead nightmare yet.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Finally beat the storyline and final stranger mission in the base game. Really wish there was more to do after The Final Enemy that Shall Be Destroyed, but I liked how it ended, regardless.

Final mission spoiler: Is Ross standing in the crowd that guns down John, or is he unkillable until you find him as Jack?

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

No homo posted:

Pray for a PC version, but it looks like that won't happen with R* anymore. They seem uninterested in the concept and who can blame them after the GTAIV fiasco.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Cheezymadman posted:

Final mission spoiler: Is Ross standing in the crowd that guns down John, or is he unkillable until you find him as Jack?

He's standing in the crowd, invulnerable. He was the first person I targeted in Dead Eye, and it does absolutely nothing.

Barnabas
Jun 24, 2006
Touch it. Go ahead. You know you want to.
Got this for Christmas and just started it and... good god, is Bonnie going to start calling me and asking me to hang out? It feels exactly like GTA4 with horses, and I hated GTA4.

I was completely confused and disoriented and bored by the ridiculous cut scenes after an hour and gave up. But now I see that it's gotten nothing but praise and stellar reviews. What the gently caress?

Does Roman, I mean Bonnie, ever shut up? Do wild animals ever act like wild animals? Does walking into a bank in broad daylight always result in people shooting at me? Am I doing something wrong?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Barnabas posted:

Got this for Christmas and just started it and... good god, is Bonnie going to start calling me and asking me to hang out? It feels exactly like GTA4 with horses, and I hated GTA4.

I was completely confused and disoriented and bored by the ridiculous cut scenes after an hour and gave up. But now I see that it's gotten nothing but praise and stellar reviews. What the gently caress?

Does Roman, I mean Bonnie, ever shut up? Do wild animals ever act like wild animals? Does walking into a bank in broad daylight always result in people shooting at me? Am I doing something wrong?

Its a Rockstar game, and the structure of it is almost exactly like GTA. So yea, if you hated GTA, you may not like it.

True its gotten a lot of praise, but so did GTA4 and you say you hated that. So maybe you should stop going by what games get the most praise.

Barnabas
Jun 24, 2006
But then how will I know what to like?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Barnabas posted:

But then how will I know what to like?

Well to use this situation as an example, you say you hated GTA4. Watching a few videos on Youtube or reading a few reviews would be enough to tell you that this game is enough like GTA4 that it probably isn't for you. Go with your own past experience over what the consensus is.

It just seems like it was a high risk purchase for someone with your stated gaming preferences. Maybe it should have been a rental instead.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

RDR is enough unlike GTA4 that I actually enjoyed it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You should probably just go back to playing Peggle (not that there is anything wrong with this) if you don't get and or like RDR.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

Yeah I was pretty ambivalent about GTA4 and RDR is absolutely my favorite contemporary game. Although New Vegas definitely gives it a run for it's money.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Same here. It's enough like GTA4 to draw comparisons, but enough different to have its own set of pros and cons. More pros than cons, IMO.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
There's pretty much no way that whatever the next GTA is won't have the myriad of improvements to the formula that came from Red Dead Redemption, The Ballad of Gay Tony, and The Lost and Damned.

Barnabas
Jun 24, 2006
See, that's what I was hoping for: it's similar to GTA, but not exactly the same. So I tried it some more. Still not a huge fan, but I might mess around it with some more.

And, as I said, it was a Christmas gift, I didn't run out and drop $60 on a game I knew nothing about. But someone else did, so I feel an obligation to not completely hate it.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

ElwoodCuse posted:

There's pretty much no way that whatever the next GTA is won't have the myriad of improvements to the formula that came from Red Dead Redemption, The Ballad of Gay Tony, and The Lost and Damned.

I was somewhat disappointed with GTA IV, but I feel I should note that RDR is a much better game. The physics aren't wonky, there's a lot of stuff to do besides the missions, and the unlockables are really fun to do. Multiplayer is a little wacky, but the game mechanics of RDR aren't as awful as the original GTA IV. It's also much more fun given the setting.

Not to mention the controller setup is miles above the 360 setup for GTA IV.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Barnabas posted:

:frogout:

Just kidding. It has a similar feel to GTA4, as far as gameplay. But as far as story, environment, and characters, it's quite different (and in my opinion better.) If you don't like it, you shouldn't just trudge through a game you hate... Just trade it in at Gamestop or eBay that poo poo.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Barnabas posted:

Yes, Bonnie shuts the hell up. You have to trudge through about half a dozen missions for her and then you really don't have to deal with her much more. If you don't like Bonnie I don't really blame you, but she is essentially the tutorial level. At least do her missions until you get the lasso.

Or if you can't wait that long, play freestyle for a while, get used to the controls and kill random people. Encounter and survive a cougar attack or two (or don't). If you can't stand the freeplay, sell the game because it really only is more of the same from that point, and I doubt that the flower picking simulation portion of the game will really draw you in.

You are being shot at when entering a bank most likely because you have a weapon drawn. That or you are going into the "restricted" area (through a gated door perhaps?).

Unless you are referring to a strange glitch where a wolf is riding on top of a horse the animals always act like animals, which is to say dicks. Animals fall into two categories: Prey - run away from you. Predator - Try to kill you. This is what animals act like.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

I finished the game and got 100% completion simultaneously tonight. Is it normal for Jack's mouth not to move when he speaks?

I guess I'll start up Undead Nightmare tomorrow.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Yo if I grab the DLC disk, all my challenges and outfits and whatever from my other save data will carry over, right?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

SaviourX posted:

Yo if I grab the DLC disk, all my challenges and outfits and whatever from my other save data will carry over, right?

Actually, it's treated as a new game. There's no need for money, you have a few outfits from the original game anyway, and weapons are found again but they're very little use for most of them since a bullet from a Cattleman and a LeMat kill zombies exactly the same way. The only real difference is how many bullets you can use before you reload.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Good to know, but I thought all the DLCs were included, thus the retail version.

But I guess social club saves your mp data and all achievements, etc wouldn't matter anyway.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Didn't see this posted yet, so:

quote:

XP Meter
360: 41.73%
PS3: 44.77%

The Red Dead Redemption Rockstar XP Challenge has officially begun, ladies and gentlemen. Grizzled veterans and greenhorns alike in Red Dead Redemption multiplayer on Xbox LIVE and PlayStation Network will be on equal footing as the entire online population works starting today to unlock special avatar rewards for their respective platforms. In lieu of the originally announced "Skin It to Win It" and "I Shot the Sherriff" Challenges to unlock these avatars, the test will now be for players on each console to harness their collective XP earning skills online and get that thermometer up from zero to 100%.

Here's how to do your part. Boot up your platform of choice and jump into any Red Dead Redemption multiplayer session. From Free Roam to Grab the Bag - whatever your pleasure. Enjoy your multiplayer game as you normally would and when your session ends, all of the XP that you accumulate will be automatically added to your platform's XP grand total.

I always wondered when they were going to release those challenges for the avatar awards. Kind of a lame way to do it, but at least they didn't just sweep it under the rug.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Philip J Fry posted:

Didn't see this posted yet, so:

I always wondered when they were going to release those challenges for the avatar awards. Kind of a lame way to do it, but at least they didn't just sweep it under the rug.

Hope this means folks without a gold account aren't poo poo out of luck.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

He's standing in the crowd, invulnerable. He was the first person I targeted in Dead Eye, and it does absolutely nothing.

I don't know why people say this. Neither Fordham nor Ross are in the crowd, it's just a bunch of generic Agents. That's part of the symbolism of it - Ross doesn't even care enough about John to be at his execution personally.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Slantedfloors posted:

I don't know why people say this. Neither Fordham nor Ross are in the crowd, it's just a bunch of generic Agents. That's part of the symbolism of it - Ross doesn't even care enough about John to be at his execution personally.

He is literally at the scene in the cutscene directly after this happens.

TheRealGunde
Aug 13, 2007

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Not to mention the controller setup is miles above the 360 setup for GTA IV.
What? It's almost completely the same.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

I can only think of two major control changes between this and GTA4. The first is a radial weapon menu, which is awesome. The second is moving Accelerate to A (and deceleration to RB), and moving shooting to the left and right triggers while in vehicles (Shooting in GTA4 from a vehicle used the bumpers). This made sense in RDR mainly due to the fact the horses are designed to hold pace while you're aiming. Liberty City has far more hazards while driving than the Wild West, so I don't think that'll cross over to GTA. Also, you'd have to do some fantastic finger stretching to hold A to keep your car moving and aim with the right thumbstick.

Hell, even Saints Row had a cruise control option and all I end up doing with that is running into a wall continually while doing drive-bys.

Unrelated: gently caress all walkthroughs, when looking for cougars go the the mountain north of Bonnie's ranch. There's a small valley along the wall leading into a snow covered dead end on one side. That valley is cougartown, and the game will stop spawning cougars anywhere else during that hunter challenge just to spite you. I know from experience, as I trawled stillwater for 5 hours, changed to that valley and finished in 20 minutes. Then cougars showed up in stillwater when I was looking for Gordo. :argh:

Evil Badman fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jan 25, 2011

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Evil Badman posted:

I can only think of two major control changes between this and GTA4. The first is a radial weapon menu, which is awesome. The second is moving Accelerate to A (and deceleration to RB), and moving shooting to the left and right triggers while in vehicles (Shooting in GTA4 from a vehicle used the bumpers). This made sense in RDR mainly due to the fact the horses are designed to hold pace while you're aiming. Liberty City has far more hazards while driving than the Wild West, so I don't think that'll cross over to GTA. Also, you'd have to do some fantastic finger stretching to hold A to keep your car moving and aim with the right thumbstick.

Hell, even Saints Row had a cruise control option and all I end up doing with that is running into a wall continually while doing drive-bys.

RDR also improved over GTA4's horrible helicopter controls and bland realistic car physics by not having helicopters or cars.

Also by virtue of not having cars, they couldn't structure every mission around chasing an invulnerable car until it stopped being invulnerable and then shooting it until it exploded.

RDR also had mid-mission checkpoints, so you didn't have to repeatedly spend minutes traveling from one end of the map to the other, listening to one of two variants of recorded dialog, and then failing the mission upon arrival.

Regenerating health made it less likely for you to fail the mission in the first place. (Saints Row 2 solved that problem differently, by letting you carry health items.)

While Liberty City is a barren empty wasteland, everywhere you go in RDR there is something to do thanks to ambient world events and the various challenges.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Just loaded the True Grit OST onto my Xbox, have taken to turning off RDR's (fantastic) soundtrack and playing that during my online multiplayer travels. Adds a totally different vibe to the whole thing. This game has such a great sense of presence and tension, even in multi-player.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Finally got my Double Bagger achievement last night. :clint:

Also - I think I figured out what was wrong with the Chupacabra spawning. I hadn't done any of the Undead Treasure Hunter stuff (not even the first map), so I went off and did all five levels of that. After that the Chupacabra spawned on my first ride through Mexico, then the Unicorn right after that. So it may not spawn if you haven't done some or all of the Treasure Hunter path.

Also the only thing more annoying than Jack's stupid phrases when you're galloping are Zombie Marston's horrible growling noises. Jeet christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Forgive my ignorance, but how exactly does voice chat work in RDR? I understand that posse members can hear one another, and that you can hear one another when nearby. Can you hear the conversations of other posses? Is there a way to make chat completely private?

• Locked thread