Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

anachrodragon posted:

Look at her toeeeezies!! Eeeee!

noelcat posted:

My corgi must be strange. When we had just him, he had very little interest in food and treats -

When we first got Corwin, he was like that with the food the breeder sent with him. He didn't seem to care much for it. When we started him on Evo, he discovered the joy of food and now his day revolves around mealtimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah Taziki is self sustainable with her eating, we just have a bowl attached to her crate that she pecks at. Definitely not the typical, eat-the-world, Corgi. Though it's amusing when we hear her scarfing down a bowl at 4:00am.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

I realize Asa is a vall not a corgi, but yeah, she...she would likely eat me if I keeled over and died. And be happy about it, hahah. Seriously, the worst pig in the world. All day, every day, foodfoodfood?foodfoodfood?doyouhavefoodwheresthefood?
On the other hand, it does make it easy to train her somedays, since she is so bloody food motivated.

Taxidermy
Jan 17, 2011
This has totally worried me as i never realised how much of a fatty he is (compared to the corgis on here). God drat if my vet had mentioned i would of been on it earlier. Were going to the pet store tomorrow to see if we can pick up anthing better for food wise for him.

I thought he was a unique greedy corgi! But yeah ive never had a dog that was so drat food mad. When he was a puppy my partner ordered a pizza and left it on the coffee table in the box, merlin decided he wanted some and some how pushed his face through the box side and ate half of it. So now everytime he sees a pizza box he goes nuts and whines.

Hes also has taken to lately the bowl moving and whining, pretending hes never been fed.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Coincidentally after talking about eating habits I snagged a picture of Taziki's setup while she decided to eat today at 7:00am:

That bowl will just sit there filled for the majority of the day while she plays around though.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

Wonder Bra posted:

Look at her toeeeezies!! Eeeee!

Apparently she has the most "freckles" out of all the pups from her litter. So damned cute. The only frustrating thing about her toes is that some of her nails are black, and it's really hard to tell how much to trim them. We had thought to let the vet or a groomer trim them, but everyone who's tried has managed to nick her skin, so now she hates nail trimming. I think we're going to need to work on desensitizing her to a dremmel, right now she hates the noise though. I think it reminds her of vacuum cleaners.

Taxidermy posted:

This has totally worried me as i never realised how much of a fatty he is (compared to the corgis on here). God drat if my vet had mentioned i would of been on it earlier. Were going to the pet store tomorrow to see if we can pick up anthing better for food wise for him.

I thought he was a unique greedy corgi! But yeah ive never had a dog that was so drat food mad. When he was a puppy my partner ordered a pizza and left it on the coffee table in the box, merlin decided he wanted some and some how pushed his face through the box side and ate half of it. So now everytime he sees a pizza box he goes nuts and whines.

Hes also has taken to lately the bowl moving and whining, pretending hes never been fed.

Tell me about it. We had house guests around Thanksgiving, and I suspect them of sneaking our pets people-food. My husband and I have always been really strict about never feeding the pets food scraps from our plates, but after our guests left, suddenly all of the animals are begging for food while we eat, and are trying to get into what we're eating. :argh:

I would start by cutting down the food amount slightly, and increase the exercise slightly. You could also make him work for his food. Hide kibble around the house, or in a treat toy like this or this.

Taxidermy
Jan 17, 2011
Hes actually got the busy buddy and he loves it so ill dig it out because i have been restricting treats over the last few months, so i might try using his food inside it as the biscuits are small enough.

Yeh well be walking him more and making his portions smaller, ive started running lately so ill take him with me.

lu lu lu
Jul 27, 2007
I've got some apples

Taxidermy posted:

Hes actually got the busy buddy and he loves it so ill dig it out because i have been restricting treats over the last few months, so i might try using his food inside it as the biscuits are small enough.

Yeh well be walking him more and making his portions smaller, ive started running lately so ill take him with me.

If Gus can do it so can he!

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007

ApexAftermath posted:

I cannot get over how much she look like our Macie. Macie is a corgi/spaniel mix. About the only difference is she has big floppy ears instead of ones that point straight up. The coloring is almost identical.

One of ours likes to push her bowl around when she thinks she needs more food. It's insanely cute.

The black and white markings come from the UK working dog tradition of breeding corgis into the border collie line in order to keep the gene pool varied (I would assume corgi breeders do the same with collies) and often nowadays to get smooth coated collies. Farmers prefer them but pet owners want the cute fluffy ones, problem is that two rough coated collies can't produce a smooth and with them becoming KC registered it has become a real problem.
They tend to take on the corgi size so with collies you need to add in some alsatian mix to get the size up.

If your corgi or border collie is black and white with spots ("freckles") up and down the legs and on the face then they will come from Tip's line. He was a phenomenal North Yorkshire herder iirc he was about in the late 50s early 60s but googling "tip" is a bit futile.

This is my working border collie pup, she is 1/8th corgi, the light is bad but she is from tip's line (you can see some of the spots on her paws)

If you have a merle corgi (Miss Indy's corgi is a merle) then you should know that again it has border collie in it, a lot of collie pet breeders will tell you they are rare, this isn't true. Farmers deliberately don't breed merles because they can have some health issues, blindness as they grow older is a big one.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Medusula posted:

If you have a merle corgi (Miss Indy's corgi is a merle) then you should know that again it has border collie in it, a lot of collie pet breeders will tell you they are rare, this isn't true. Farmers deliberately don't breed merles because they can have some health issues, blindness as they grow older is a big one.

Whaaaat, I doubt that. Merle coating comes in many different breeds-- doxies, Aussies, ACDs come to mind first. And merles don't have health problems unless they are a double merle (offspring of two merle parents).

BTW if you all have not seen "The King's Speech" you really should. If not for the awesome story but the many Pemmies. :love:

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007
I stand corrected on that point, mMy corgi experience is limited to knowing which to breed into our lines for hearding. Although it should be noted that with collies and the KC I'm afraid it's getting to the stage where you are rolling the dice on any Merle now :(

Question, what differences are there between the UK and american Corgis?

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

While I have no doubt that working dog lines can have a lot of breeds mixed in for herding purposes, it's my understanding that Cardigans (the ones that come in black, blue merle, ect...) are a pretty old breed in and of themselves. I kind of doubt that they all have border collie mixed in. These colors are common in many types of dogs, not just BCs and Cardigan corgis, so who knows where the coloration originally came from...

Amusingly, a number of people have told me that my dog is obviously a dachshund/border collie cross, and looked at me skeptically when I tell them she's not.

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 23, 2011

flavaaDAAAAAVE
Jun 2, 2008
And adult corgi showed up at the pound and I'm seriously considering throwing down a deposit for him. A couple of questions though. I had a coworker with daschunds and she mentioned that short dogs shouldn't jump up on beds because it's bad for them. Is the same true for apartments? I'll be an apt dweller for the foreseeable future. I'm also planning a move to Chicago in about a year's time. How exactly does a 3 foot dog pee and poop in 4 feet of snow?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

1) DO IT! Corgis seem rare in adoption from what I've seen. At least this area. As long as you're ready to take care of it and give it the attention it needs.

2) Yes doing high jumps for a Corgi isn't encouraged, as it could bring back/hip problems with it. Thought I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, "apartments" doesn't seem like an applicable term.

Are you worried about flights of stairs? While they certainly don't help anything they shouldn't be that much of a bother, and you should train the dog to takes its time with the stairs so he's safe. Now how does a 3 foot dog pee and poop in 4 feet of snow? Well my Corgi loves it. She pounces through snow piles and has been known to poop on the side of a hill here and there.

Are you going to be moving by yourself? Are you going to be able to work out a schedule where someone can take the dog out during lunch time?

flavaaDAAAAAVE
Jun 2, 2008

The Dave posted:

1) DO IT! Corgis seem rare in adoption from what I've seen. At least this area. As long as you're ready to take care of it and give it the attention it needs.

2) Yes doing high jumps for a Corgi isn't encouraged, as it could bring back/hip problems with it. Thought I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, "apartments" doesn't seem like an applicable term.

Are you worried about flights of stairs? While they certainly don't help anything they shouldn't be that much of a bother, and you should train the dog to takes its time with the stairs so he's safe. Now how does a 3 foot dog pee and poop in 4 feet of snow? Well my Corgi loves it. She pounces through snow piles and has been known to poop on the side of a hill here and there.

Are you going to be moving by yourself? Are you going to be able to work out a schedule where someone can take the dog out during lunch time?

Yea I meant to say something about stairs. That'd be one hell of a jump otherwise. I don't know what my situation will be up there. Right now I live next to work so I go home for lunches. I guess I hadn't considered the small bladder issue.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004
Gizmo went to PetSmart today to get his hurr did.

The wife thinks the caption should read, "Hello, ladies."

I say we're just a pair of oversized glasses away from having our own little Charles Nelson Reilly.

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

Dei gratia regina fidei defensor
What do you get done on a corgi coat? I haven't ever taken mine in except for a nail trim. His hair seems to maintain itself - no length problems, etc. I bathe him once a month or when he gets into something nasty, but that's it.

hennypenny
Dec 16, 2005

life is just butterscotch and dreams

flavaaDAAAAAVE posted:

And adult corgi showed up at the pound and I'm seriously considering throwing down a deposit for him. A couple of questions though. I had a coworker with daschunds and she mentioned that short dogs shouldn't jump up on beds because it's bad for them. Is the same true for apartments? I'll be an apt dweller for the foreseeable future. I'm also planning a move to Chicago in about a year's time. How exactly does a 3 foot dog pee and poop in 4 feet of snow?

YESSS! Do it! And then post pictures. My corgi mix Dasha came from the pound. She's the best. Here she is, on the right:

Obviously, her left half is the corgi half. :eng101:

I'm pretty sure she's got some basset hound in her as well, which gives her adorably crooked feet and makes her lazy. I used to live on the third floor of an apartment building and she did fine with the stairs, so I wouldn't worry about that. She also loves snow, and loves it even more when it's taller than she is.

If you have a three foot corgi, though, I'd like to see that. Three feet tall is a big dog.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Butters is kind of scared of other dogs.

(this is a Pit Bull/Corgi mix actually, at least according to his owner there)

Even other puppies.

But is OK with me :3:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Miss Indy posted:

BTW if you all have not seen "The King's Speech" you really should. If not for the awesome story but the many Pemmies.

I completely missed an entire scene because they were so distractingly adorable.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

noelcat posted:

What do you get done on a corgi coat? I haven't ever taken mine in except for a nail trim. His hair seems to maintain itself - no length problems, etc. I bathe him once a month or when he gets into something nasty, but that's it.
We don't really get him trimmed at all. Every once in a while he gets a spa day - shampoo, nail trim/grind, shave of his undercarriage, and a good Furminating.

flavaaDAAAAAVE
Jun 2, 2008

hennypenny posted:

YESSS! Do it! And then post pictures.

I went to the pound today to do an initial visit with him. His name is copper and he's a deep reddish brown color. Unfortunately the volunteer wouldn't let me get in the kennel with him because he started growling and barking when I started in. I don't think he's aggressive, just scared. With all the other dogs going nuts barking he was basically shut down until I tried to go in his kennel. I'm going back on saturday to try again.

I was wrong about his age - he's 8 months old. My main draw to corgis is their rep for being calm. Are ones that young generally calm or should I keep looking for an older dog?

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

flavaaDAAAAAVE posted:

I was wrong about his age - he's 8 months old. My main draw to corgis is their rep for being calm. Are ones that young generally calm or should I keep looking for an older dog?

Is he a cardigan? I've heard they're calmer, but my impression of pems is that they're pretty high energy, at least through the first few years. They are herding dogs, after all. But no, an 8 month old puppy won't be calm, generally. It really depends on the individual dog, though.

hennypenny
Dec 16, 2005

life is just butterscotch and dreams

flavaaDAAAAAVE posted:

I went to the pound today to do an initial visit with him. His name is copper and he's a deep reddish brown color. Unfortunately the volunteer wouldn't let me get in the kennel with him because he started growling and barking when I started in. I don't think he's aggressive, just scared. With all the other dogs going nuts barking he was basically shut down until I tried to go in his kennel. I'm going back on saturday to try again.

Puppies in general are very active. Eight months is a good age, though: still enough of a puppy to enjoy the cuteness but close enough to adulthood that you don't have to put up with puppyhood for too long.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
everyone should buy a dogfort lobster corgi shirt :)
all proceeds go towards corgi aid

http://www.dogfortdogs.com/dfd/index.html

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

flavaaDAAAAAVE posted:

I have a Chicago-Corgi right now, and my answer to your question would be that she picks and chooses her snow drifts very carefully. We had to pull her out of a big one the other day because she went in to pee and then sank down to her head and just sat there dunking her head in and out of the snow in frustration. In the winter in Chicago the sidewalks have a perpetual inch of snow on them that for some reason my dog seems to love even more than grass, and she's happy to pee there when she wouldn't give them a second glance in the summer. Your dog will most definitely be fine.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
According to my girlfriend, Butters has been having some problems with chewing stuff up when left home alone. He ate through her laptop charger last week and today I guess he ripped up a cord for her DVD player. How can she correct this problem outside of her knee-jerk response of "never leave him out when gone"? Though honestly, she's gone for a good chunk of time during the day (grad school :argh:) and that may be for the best; I want her to try and teach the dog not to chew however.

EDIT: To rephrase that, is there anything she can do on top of/instead of simply crating him when she's away?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 28, 2011

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think the only option if no one is in the house is spray everything he can chew with a bitter spray. I have no idea how well they work but I almost bot some for Taziki when she was teething.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

C-Euro posted:

According to my girlfriend, Butters has been having some problems with chewing stuff up when left home alone. He ate through her laptop charger last week and today I guess he ripped up a cord for her DVD player. How can she correct this problem outside of her knee-jerk response of "never leave him out when gone"? Though honestly, she's gone for a good chunk of time during the day (grad school :argh:) and that may be for the best; I want her to try and teach the dog not to chew however.

Why can't she crate him when she's away? Or if she won't crate him for some reason, how about an exercise pen or some other way of removing him from inappropriate objects? You can't ask a corgi not to be bored when left alone. Remember, they are herding dogs that want a job to do, and if you're not directing them they will find a project for themselves.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

anachrodragon posted:

Why can't she crate him when she's away? Or if she won't crate him for some reason, how about an exercise pen or some other way of removing him from inappropriate objects? You can't ask a corgi not to be bored when left alone. Remember, they are herding dogs that want a job to do, and if you're not directing them they will find a project for themselves.

Oh she can crate him when she's gone, I was just wondering if there's anything she can do to dissuade him from chewing stuff up.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

C-Euro posted:

Oh she can crate him when she's gone, I was just wondering if there's anything she can do to dissuade him from chewing stuff up.

How old is he now? Is he done teething? If not, there's not much she can do to dissuade him aside from presenting him with more appropriate and appealing things to chew-- raw lamb bones, rope or socks soaked in chicken broth and froze, pressed rawhide, kongs with peanut butter, etc. We try to redirect Corwin, and we have a noise we make "ah-ah!" when he's not supposed to do something (or "oops!") and he seems to understand that pretty well.

He loves his crate, though, and putting him in there with some toys never seems to bother him that much.

Lanthanum
Oct 19, 2008

I wish I had a robot husband. That would be baller as fuck.

C-Euro posted:

EDIT: To rephrase that, is there anything she can do on top of/instead of simply crating him when she's away?

I have something like this (http://www.petexpertise.com/dog-toys/treatstik-treat-dispensing-toy.html) for my dog, I dont give her breakfast but put all the food in there, and so she chews and bits of food come out. This encourages her to develop an addiction to chew on that toy, and reinforces it by rewarding her with the food.

Hope this helps!

Drake Lake
Aug 7, 2003

I'm a respected community leader! A shining pillar of moral strength!

Captain Foxy posted:

Ohhh man Corwin is a bundle of :3:, seriously.

I have something to contribute to the thread! My latest foster is a Pem/Chi mix according to the oh-so-lovely BYB who dropped him off at a Fremont shelter ( :rolleyes: ) and he may be going to a new home tomorrow so I have to take the opportunity to post pics now.

He's pretty derpy most of the time and I enjoy his weird little white toes. :3:

...Huh. Well I guess that answers my question of "what would happen if they bred?"

(Which they won't, don't you worry)

HeyMrDeadMan
Mar 10, 2007

is a swell guy

C-Euro posted:

The bitter spray that you can buy fixed about 90% of my dog's chewing. Unfortunately even that didn't stop them from chewing on cords (3 PSP chargers, 2 iPhone chargers, 1 ethernet cable). Eventually I just got a small basket to keep all my cables in and the dogs don't go near it.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
my dogs dont chew random things. they like to eat poop, but they wont chew tables, cords, etc.. My dog DID unplug my router once though

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YrAILSxbq0

Anyone else running out to get a tetherball pole now? :)

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

Sorry for the double post but just had to tell a little story about Frank's first night in our new house.

I let him out to go do his business, like we always did at the other house, in our new back yard. It's fully fenced in so he ran around found a nice little place to pee and found it.

A few seconds later he's getting ready to do his little corgi hop back to the door and then quickly goes into growl mode and takes off for the fence. I'm hollering at him to come back to the door (it was about 11 PM so I didn't want him going into full bark so loud the neighbors hate us EARLY in the process) and no dice.

What did he find? A skunk. A baby freaking skunk. I poo poo you not, we had just given him a bath three hours earlier! My wife and I have lived in this area our whole lives and have only seen 1 live skunk ever - and it was one that was deglanded and on a leash (Keeper Portland weird, yo)

So Frank got sprayed, we were lucky that he's a shorty because MOST of the skunk spray went over him and ended up just covering the yard - but nevertheless the wife and I were busy mixing up a mixture of house hold stuff the vet recommended and giving him his second, third and fourth baths until 12:15 last night so the little stinker could come inside. The poor look on his face was terrrrrible. He had not idea what he did to deserve essentially four baths in one day! At least Frank's adventures in the backyard can only go UP from here!

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Have any of the Washington Corgoons been to Ewetopia before? It's in Roy, which is a bit of a drive for the Seattlites (finally, an advantage of living in Tacoma!), but my friend who takes her BC there every few months says the drive is completely worth it. They've got a fenced dog park and agility equipment while you wait for your lesson, and they offer both sheep and ducks.

Just curious what kind of experience it would be for a corgi rather than a border collie. I know they have extremely different herding styles and backgrounds.

lu lu lu
Jul 27, 2007
I've got some apples

ButWhatIf posted:

Have any of the Washington Corgoons been to Ewetopia before? It's in Roy, which is a bit of a drive for the Seattlites (finally, an advantage of living in Tacoma!), but my friend who takes her BC there every few months says the drive is completely worth it. They've got a fenced dog park and agility equipment while you wait for your lesson, and they offer both sheep and ducks.

Just curious what kind of experience it would be for a corgi rather than a border collie. I know they have extremely different herding styles and backgrounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7ymTGzeRGw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o08CXBDxhew

That was the first and only time herding non-dogs for the both of them. There was a Pembroke there when we went who had a bit of experience and he seemed to be doing a bang up job. You should go. It was a lot of fun, for both us and the dogs. If/when we go back, we'll try and get there a bit earlier so we can get them into the ring twice. There were a few people there who were doing that, and it really makes sense since they seem to get overloaded after about ten minutes, at least at first.

As for herding styles, I think it's really funny because their behavior in those video's is really indicative of their personalities. Snaps is way more driven and peppy, whereas Pip is more laid back and not as focused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

ButWhatIf posted:

I'm really wanting to go but I've heard horror stories of the trainers there beating dogs with the herding canes. Just make sure they know not to touch your dog unless it's actively like.. ripping a sheep apart or something.

• Locked thread