Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

How about a street triple if he's considering other nakeds? Might be out of price range though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Those are a bit more powerful than the 650 twin bikes. If he's willing to get that much, it also opens things like the FZ6 and previously mentioned Honda 599.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Those are a bit more powerful than the 650 twin bikes. If he's willing to get that much, it also opens things like the FZ6 and previously mentioned Honda 599.

To me it's in a different class from a 599 or an FZ6. Aside from the extra power, the power delivery is far fiercer. I can imagine an inexperienced rider commuting on a hornet/599, never taking it above 6,000 rpm and never feeling intimidated. Whereas the triple is pretty full-on from anywhere in the midrange on up. And on the R version it's very rear end-up head down for a naked bike.

NWDub
Feb 2, 2010
I'm looking at purchasing my first bike. I've spent a lot of time around bikes but I've never actually ridden one myself. I've done a number of automotive racing things and I have no desire to ride like a maniac.

That being said, I'm looking at the normal bikes:

gs500
ex500/500r/ninja500
sv650 (it's sooo small)

etc.

I'm 6'2" and anywhere from 175-200 and decently muscular. I'd really like to be able to ride 2up with my girlfriend on the back.

That being said, most of my riding is highway riding. I like distance riding and maybe someday do some ironbutt stuff. my ex's stepfather had all the iron butt trophys, he was a nutjob, but he really got me into it.

So I've also been looking at:

v-star 650/1100
royal star 1300
etc

They're all about the same price so I'd rather just get the bigger bike.

Recently I found a few kawasaki concours for less than the cruisers. so is it really that bad to get a 90hp liter touring bike? I'm not looking to do anything stupid I just want a stable highway bike that has some passing speed and can hold 100mph for a while without having issues. I figure the next step up would be a fjr1300 down the line.

Thanks

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I'm looking into getting my first bike and I've found a few ads on CL that have piqued my interest.

I'd be a first time rider, can't afford much. I'm about 6'4 250lbs. and I've never physically sat on a bike to see what fits (no one I know actually has bikes, and I'm not financially at the point where I'd want to go to a showroom because I know I'd walk out with a bunch of debt). All my friends that were riders always rode sport bikes and that's not me.

What do you guys think of these two ads:

http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/mcy/2169530625.html

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcd/2174862205.html

Any ideas? Thanks.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
An EX500 will meet all of your requirements. It's cheap, tough, is fine with highway cruising (although not blisteringly fast), very fuel efficient and unlikely to depreciate hugely, even with a few scratches.

Cruisers are a pain at highway speeds - the riding position of your average cruiser is all wrong for it and they have no wind protection, even assuming that they're capable of 100mph, which not all of them will be.

Full-size cruisers are also heavy, unwieldy, have limited amounts of traction and limited stopping power. The c of g is too low and wheelbase too long on most of them, even if they have decent brakes - think of a single-seater with stupidly hard front springs and lousy tyres...the front will lock very quickly.

As for a concours, buying a heavy, full-sized tourer and expecting things to go OK would be like learning to drive in a Unimog. In Manhattan.

NWDub posted:

I'm looking at purchasing my first bike. I've spent a lot of time around bikes but I've never actually ridden one myself. I've done a number of automotive racing things and I have no desire to ride like a maniac.

That being said, I'm looking at the normal bikes:

gs500
ex500/500r/ninja500
sv650 (it's sooo small)

etc.

I'm 6'2" and anywhere from 175-200 and decently muscular. I'd really like to be able to ride 2up with my girlfriend on the back.

That being said, most of my riding is highway riding.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Generally accurate but cruisers outstop sportbikes when you use both brakes as they have the advantage of longer wheelbase and lower cog. But you must use both brakes to stop them quickly. Cruisers can lock both tires on progressive application, sportbikes endo before they'll lock up the front.

I'd say go with an ex500 or an ex250. The rebel 250 is kinda a shitpile and makes half the hp of a ninja 250, making freeway trips a chore.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
I'm in the market for a second bike, stepping up from my gz250. I want an all-rounder, and the Kawi Versys is at the top of my list.

Neither dealership near me will let some 20 year old kid test ride their bike, though :( Does anyone have first-hand experience with them? I've done my best to sift through ADVrider (uuuugh) and they have positive reviews. I see a lot of people ragging on the aesthetics, but I actually kind of like the buggy cyclops headlights.

I'm worried about growing bored of it, like I have my 250. Any chance of that happening? I don't want to go blazing down the highway at 120, but my gz250 barely carries my fat rear end 55. Can I take the versys to Alaska and back if I wanted to? Can I enjoy commuting to and from school?

NWDub
Feb 2, 2010

Saga posted:

An EX500 will meet all of your requirements. It's cheap, tough, is fine with highway cruising (although not blisteringly fast), very fuel efficient and unlikely to depreciate hugely, even with a few scratches.

Cruisers are a pain at highway speeds - the riding position of your average cruiser is all wrong for it and they have no wind protection, even assuming that they're capable of 100mph, which not all of them will be.

Full-size cruisers are also heavy, unwieldy, have limited amounts of traction and limited stopping power. The c of g is too low and wheelbase too long on most of them, even if they have decent brakes - think of a single-seater with stupidly hard front springs and lousy tyres...the front will lock very quickly.

As for a concours, buying a heavy, full-sized tourer and expecting things to go OK would be like learning to drive in a Unimog. In Manhattan.

I worry about riding 2up on a 500 on the highway for multiple hours.

My girlfriend isn't huge but she isn't tiny so I'm a little sketchy about that.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

NWDub posted:

Consider the ninja 650r, or a Suzuki SV650, both have plenty of power, Ninja and 2nd Gen also are fuel injected which is a nice plus, they'll likely cost a little more than the Ninja 500 but I think it'd be worth the difference.

Also hmm i'm REALLY tempted actually to sell one of my bikes and pick up an RC51 or 954rr, HELP.

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356110

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357533

I could probably talk down the Rc51 to at least 3000$

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

NWDub posted:

SV650 is really the best option for what you're talking about (or the Ninja 650R for some fairings). This forum is heavily biased towards naked streetbikes, sportbikes, and dual sports, so you won't find a ton of people recommending cruisers. The weight of a bike has very little to do with how "stable" it is at highway speeds. Wind will buffet you around whether you're on a 300 pound bike or a 700 pound bike - the aerodynamics matter a lot more. My suggestion is to get a decent all-rounder like an SV and then after riding for a bit, decide what you want. Almost nobody really understands what they want in a motorcycle until they've put some miles down.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

infraboy posted:

Consider the ninja 650r, or a Suzuki SV650, both have plenty of power, Ninja and 2nd Gen also are fuel injected which is a nice plus, they'll likely cost a little more than the Ninja 500 but I think it'd be worth the difference.

Also hmm i'm REALLY tempted actually to sell one of my bikes and pick up an RC51 or 954rr, HELP.

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356110

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357533

I could probably talk down the Rc51 to at least 3000$

The 954 is a much better deal and a much faster bike. Salvage title, I'd want closer to 2k for the RC.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Hmmm yes the 954 is also about half as much to insure as the RC51 for some reason on my progressive policy.

NWDub
Feb 2, 2010

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

SV650 is really the best option for what you're talking about (or the Ninja 650R for some fairings). This forum is heavily biased towards naked streetbikes, sportbikes, and dual sports, so you won't find a ton of people recommending cruisers. The weight of a bike has very little to do with how "stable" it is at highway speeds. Wind will buffet you around whether you're on a 300 pound bike or a 700 pound bike - the aerodynamics matter a lot more. My suggestion is to get a decent all-rounder like an SV and then after riding for a bit, decide what you want. Almost nobody really understands what they want in a motorcycle until they've put some miles down.

word.

I can find 750r for the same price as 650r. is that too much hp?

Thanks guys

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

NWDub posted:

word.

Thanks guys

The 80s chassis in the EX500 gets a pass because of the ~55hp engine and friendly manners. The GPX750R, not so much.

Also, the SV is going to be newer and less likely to have strange mechanical and electrical gremlins.

StealthToaster
Dec 30, 2010

by Ozma

NWDub posted:

word.

Thanks guys

There's no such thing as too much horsepower, there's only bad throttle administration.

The 750 will be just as fine as the 650, provided that you respect it. I would worry way more, if you chose what I did as a starter 27 years ago.

A port-lifted GT750 2-smoke with a port job, Figarolli 3-1 and Yoshimora pistons fed by 45mm Mikunis and the resulting insane power-band (totally dead below 5000 RPM and a loving tiger up to 8000) probably wasn't the wisest choice. I survived though. Barely ;)

If you plan to ride 2up much, I would get the 750. Both bikes will have enough power, and none of them will outright kill you. The 750 will be the most pleasant ride with a passenger though - lower rpm and plenty of torque.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd still recommend the SV650 or the ER650n. They'll hold their value better, twin is better than 4 for around town, and they're lower HP and more modern, with better suspension, brakes, and chassis.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Miss Fats posted:

I'd be a first time rider, can't afford much. I'm about 6'4 250lbs. and I've never physically sat on a bike to see what fits...

http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/mcy/2169530625.html

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcd/2174862205.html

Any ideas? Thanks.

Quoting this again because my dad thinks a rebel is too small for me. Anyone?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd agree with him. Find at least a ninja 250 (twice the hp of a rebel 250) or a gs500/ex500.

Standards are gonna be more forgiving of height as your knees won't interfere with the handlebars like they will on a bike with forward controls. Drop by a dealership and sit on a bunch of bikes and then report back.

Also check out www.cycle-ergos.com.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

250cc may not be too small for you, but the Rebel in particularly will probably be too small of a bike. I saw guys in my MSF around your height who had to sit on the passenger seat to avoid hitting the bars with their knees. The Ninja 250 is the de facto starter bike so you can't go wrong there, and there's also the Suzuki TU250 if you want something more akin to a cruiser or a standard.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

I will be buying a new bike by the time riding season begins again here. I need full on advice for this. This is my 2nd season, and will be my 2nd bike. My first, '83 Honda Shadow 500 was great to learn on, but now I need something better.

I want a sport bike, but not a gas tank holding lean forward omg wheeling kind of bike. I test rode an SV650 last year, and that seemed to be pushing it a little in the leaning forward department. But it's still on my list of prospective bikes. I definitely would love to give it another try. 5 minutes around the block was such a tease.

What I have seen, and would love, is a BMW R1200R. My only issue with getting one is price. The only BMW bike dealer around here has none for sale currently, and they just don't exist on craigslist. Perhaps by the spring they'll have some. I'm already financing a newer car, so I dunno what will happen if I try and finance one. Though, I should have a few thousand to spend soon (hello tax returns).

So what else is there to look at? SV650/1000 / Versys / R1200R are really the only bikes I'm aware of that would meet my street yet sporty bike need. The Buell Lightning or Triumph Triple Speed look great, but finding one doesn't appear to be easy.

From what I can tell, I want 1. Upright seating 2. naked and 3. possibly something around a 1000cc. Am I looking at the right kind of bikes?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

What's your price range?

3k limit?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
FZ1, Honda 919, and maybe the ZRX?

pending price that is.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

Yeah I'd say 3k is a good amount that I could pay cash with if I found something used somewhere. I am going to try and finance. But I know bikes are considered "luxury" items to a finance company so they may not enjoy my not the greatest credit plus already financing something.

The FZ1, 919 and ZRX at first glance look good, and I've never even heard of them, so thank you. It's more things to look out for around here.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Fz1 might be a bit out of the price range, along with the ZRX, i've seen some 919s for around 3k though.

Theres the Fz6, the older triumph speed fours, Suzuki Bandit 1200S, theres also the standard SV650, it sounds like you sat on the S model. Kawasaki ZR-7/S, Honda 599 Hornet, or heck try an F4i, they're surprisingly comfortable and nice all rounders.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Z1000 is a good choice too.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

If you were looking at BMWs the F800R just came around, also Ktm super duke. Personally ducati monsters are the ultimate naked sexyness for me, see if there are any used in your area. Although you might want some risers, ducati is synonymous with "torture rack" for some people :v:

Edit: Are you set on 3k or looking to finance. If latter then my first two suggestions are out..

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Binge posted:

So what else is there to look at? SV650/1000 / Versys / R1200R are really the only bikes I'm aware of that would meet my street yet sporty bike need. The Buell Lightning or Triumph Triple Speed look great, but finding one doesn't appear to be easy.

From what I can tell, I want 1. Upright seating 2. naked and 3. possibly something around a 1000cc. Am I looking at the right kind of bikes?

I wouldn't trust Buells - I've personally seen two exploding gearboxes.

The Versys is supposed to be an awesome bike, I don't think you could go wrong getting one for your purposes.

If you like the R1200R, the 1150R and 1100R are really very close in chassis terms. You're talking less weight and more power for the 1200, but if you picked up a mint 1100 for a good price, it's still a great general-purpose street bike. Also, the earlier F800 should be within your budget.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Russian Bear posted:

If you were looking at BMWs the F800R just came around,
I kind of doubt a $12000 bike is really in his budget.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

Saga posted:

I wouldn't trust Buells - I've personally seen two exploding gearboxes.

The Versys is supposed to be an awesome bike, I don't think you could go wrong getting one for your purposes.

If you like the R1200R, the 1150R and 1100R are really very close in chassis terms. You're talking less weight and more power for the 1200, but if you picked up a mint 1100 for a good price, it's still a great general-purpose street bike. Also, the earlier F800 should be within your budget.

I sat on a Versys in a showroom, and it seemed comfortable. Test riding a bike is like pulling teeth. Getting a test ride with sv650 took like an hour of signing forms, and waiting for the manager to finally find someone to ride next to me.

I know it's vague, but I really don't know how financing a bike will work out. A few years ago I was in credit hell, but I've recovered nicely. I'm just pessimistic that they're going to give me another loan for a motorcycle, even though I can perfectly afford it. (which begs the question on why I haven't been saving more for this, but that's another isssue!) Last year I got a 23k car financed at a decent rate, so I don't know.

I just saw some pics of the F800, and it looks gorgeous. But as stated, 12k is outside of my budget. I think my first action, is to take a day off of work in the next couple weeks and just go to the BMW dealership and see what they can get me. I'm pretty excited about a BMW bike, and I didn't realize they had 1100's.

But thanks for all the reply's. I feel so overwhelmed when I'm looking into this stuff on the internet, it's nice to just hear other peoples opinions.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
I wouldn't leap into financing anything if I were you. You can get a very nice, capable bike without spending the earth.

I would have thought you could get hold of an R1100R in nice condition for $3,000, though I'm sure it depends where you are. If you want to know what it rides like, test an R1200R and imagine the same bike but with a few less horsepower and a bit more weight. They're good on fuel, and you can probably find one that comes with hard luggage and a highway screen if you do a bit of hunting.

Binge posted:

I sat on a Versys in a showroom, and it seemed comfortable. Test riding a bike is like pulling teeth. Getting a test ride with sv650 took like an hour of signing forms, and waiting for the manager to finally find someone to ride next to me.

I know it's vague, but I really don't know how financing a bike will work out. A few years ago I was in credit hell, but I've recovered nicely. I'm just pessimistic that they're going to give me another loan for a motorcycle, even though I can perfectly afford it. (which begs the question on why I haven't been saving more for this, but that's another isssue!) Last year I got a 23k car financed at a decent rate, so I don't know.

I just saw some pics of the F800, and it looks gorgeous. But as stated, 12k is outside of my budget. I think my first action, is to take a day off of work in the next couple weeks and just go to the BMW dealership and see what they can get me. I'm pretty excited about a BMW bike, and I didn't realize they had 1100's.

But thanks for all the reply's. I feel so overwhelmed when I'm looking into this stuff on the internet, it's nice to just hear other peoples opinions.

BigRedCat
May 23, 2003
I'm a unique snowflake, just like everyone else.
With spring on the horizon(ha ha) I've started thinking a lot what kind of bike I want. This would be my first bike and I think I know kinda what I want. I'm looking for something sportyish, but I'm open minded to other things. My girlfriend grew up riding with her father, so I know she will be riding too at some point. I would like to be able to do some longer trips on it at some point(500ish miles would get me back home). Lastly I want something that would be reasonable for a beginner.

Right now I'm looking at the Ninja 650 and the SV650. Any other suggestions that I should be considering?

Also before it is suggested, I am taking the MSF.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

For the sake of your g/f, I'd consider the GS500 and the Ninja 250/500 as well. That way when she decides to take up riding, you can just pass your beginner bike on to her. Once she knows what she wants, you sell the beginner bike and buy another bike for her. The 250 would be a better beginner bike for a complete newb with no previous riding experience, and it'll handle the highways fine.

Plus they'll be cheaper, you basically want to minimize your investment on beginner bikes because the chances of you selling your first bike are super high, and that minimizes the losses you'll take from depreciation and mileage. There are very few people out there who still own the bike they started on.

I also highly recommend you hop on a bicycle for awhile before the MSF, if you haven't ridden one recently.

Good luck!

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 26, 2011

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

For the sake of your g/f, I'd consider the GS500 and the Ninja 250/500 as well. That way when she decides to take up riding, you can just pass your beginner bike on to her. Once she knows what she wants, you sell the beginner bike and buy another bike for her. The 250 would be a better beginner bike for a complete newb with no previous riding experience, and it'll handle the highways fine.

Plus they'll be cheaper, you basically want to minimize your investment on beginner bikes because the chances of you selling your first bike are super high, and that minimizes the losses you'll take from depreciation and mileage. There's very few people out there who still own the bike they started on.

I also highly recommend you hop on a bicycle for awhile before the MSF, if you haven't ridden one recently.

Good luck!

The other great thing about "beginner bikes" like the Ninja 250 and EX500 is that people will EXPECT them to come with a few scrapes from being dropped in carparks, at traffic lights etc. up and down the state. That's all sort of priced in when you buy and sell them.

Pick something else and anything you bend, break or scrape will cause you rear end-pain when you come to sell it.

Art Vandelay
Mar 21, 2003
I'm yet another bike newbie, and I was looking at buying a Ninja 500 off a friend for about $3k. I've read enough here to know that the 500 is accepted as a good middle of the road starter bike.

But, I don't think I'm really a sport bike kind of guy. Just not really my style. I've always wanted a BMW, and I figured that after a year or two with the Ninja I would be looking to get into one of those. However, I now have the opportunity to buy a well-maintained 2002 BMW R1150RT with 7k miles for $5k.

The FP in this thread has a rule of thumb that anything over 70 hp isn't great as a first bike, but with the BMW weighing in at 600 lbs, perhaps it's 95 hp isn't overkill? Any thoughts on the '02 R1150RT as a first bike?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's a big, heavy bike. A light bike is much better for a first bike. In a year, a $5000 R1150RT isn't going to be that great a deal, I don't think. Hell, looking at listings near me, it's probably only a decent deal today.

And oh man there's an R1100S for sale.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Art Vandelay posted:

I'm yet another bike newbie, and I was looking at buying a Ninja 500 off a friend for about $3k. I've read enough here to know that the 500 is accepted as a good middle of the road starter bike.

But, I don't think I'm really a sport bike kind of guy. Just not really my style. I've always wanted a BMW, and I figured that after a year or two with the Ninja I would be looking to get into one of those. However, I now have the opportunity to buy a well-maintained 2002 BMW R1150RT with 7k miles for $5k.

The FP in this thread has a rule of thumb that anything over 70 hp isn't great as a first bike, but with the BMW weighing in at 600 lbs, perhaps it's 95 hp isn't overkill? Any thoughts on the '02 R1150RT as a first bike?

In CO that bike would sell for quite a bit higher but I don't know about your local market. An RT isn't kinda heavy it's REALLY heavy and covered in very expensive plastic. If you want a touring bike for a first bike get a Concours they're cheap reliable, and still great bikes. Or if you want a bit more luxery a Triumph Trophy 1200 can be found for about 3K now a days and that's a great value for that bike. You'll still likely drop it and scuff the plastics but the price dosen't have as far to fall from such a drop. BMW buyers are anal old men for the most part and only want to buy cherry bikes with every maintenance record sorted by date in an accordion folder something that's gotten some abuse from a first time rider is going to lose a lot of value.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
A 9 year old touring bike with 7k miles? How depressing.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Art Vandelay posted:

That's not a good starter bike due to weight and power.

3k seems a little steep for a ninja 500, unless it's in perfect shape, and you really don't want a perfect shape anything for your first bike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Considering now that theres the Ninja 650r, the prices for the ninja 500 should have really tanked, I wouldn't pay much more than 2200$ for one these days, 3k can buy you a used 650r or an SV650.