Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I don't really like this Milkman guy. Album seems to be really same-y, using a lot of samples just to use samples, without really letting any stand out. I'm only halfway through Algorithms, though, so it has a chance of winning me over.

e: whoever mentioned that he relies on a lot of the same samples as Girl Talk is extremely right.

e2: haha, and a completely failed attempt at 'rap song over kitschy background' with the Torn sample in Right Now.

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

E-603 announced a new album is coming in March via Facebook. Can't wait.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

flatluigi posted:

I don't really like this Milkman guy. Album seems to be really same-y, using a lot of samples just to use samples, without really letting any stand out. I'm only halfway through Algorithms, though, so it has a chance of winning me over.

e: whoever mentioned that he relies on a lot of the same samples as Girl Talk is extremely right.

e2: haha, and a completely failed attempt at 'rap song over kitschy background' with the Torn sample in Right Now.

I kind of like that all the mash-up guys draw from the same pool of samples. I think it is interesting to see what E-603 does with "I love having sex but I'd rather get some head" versus what Super Mash Bros does with it, versus what Milkman does with it. And personally, I thought Algorithms was better than All Day. All Day has a couple really great moments, but I felt Algorithms was consistently better.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

flatluigi posted:

This is why I liked that Kids and Explosions cd so much. It actually shows you can do something completely different and don't need to follow the same poo poo formula that it seems the rest of them are falling into doing now.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
The guys from Bootie USA released their "best of 2010" sometime recently: http://bootiemashup.com/bestofbootie2010/

Downloading now... (it's free)

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

It was released a month ago how could I have missed it :saddowns: Thanks for posting it.

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.

Alfajor posted:

The guys from Bootie USA released their "best of 2010" sometime recently: http://bootiemashup.com/bestofbootie2010/

This is the best loving mashup. Ever.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Alfajor posted:

REALLY love this. Thanks for posting.

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007
I'm trying to figure out which song a sample in Bangfest is from, around 6:50 - 7:05... Not the vocal part but the part under... Does anyone know?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I want to go to Bootie SF so bad. I almost was able to go to the NYE show but I remembered to late to get tickets.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Tongsy posted:

I'm trying to figure out which song a sample in Bangfest is from, around 6:50 - 7:05... Not the vocal part but the part under... Does anyone know?

Does It Offend You, Yeah? - We Are Rockstars
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf_Rv0hCF6I

If you like that sort of "hard" electronics sound, I would also recommend you check out Add N to (X) as well. They were my first guess and I went through all of those searching for it for you before remembering that it was DIOYY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSNu4TZIkls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGGWrJp4JHA

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007

Lakitu7 posted:

Does It Offend You, Yeah? - We Are Rockstars
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf_Rv0hCF6I

If you like that sort of "hard" electronics sound, I would also recommend you check out Add N to (X) as well. They were my first guess and I went through all of those searching for it for you before remembering that it was DIOYY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSNu4TZIkls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGGWrJp4JHA

Sweet, that was it!
I'll check the others out too

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

It hasn't been said nearly enough in this thread, or in life in general: Everyone needs to see Girl Talk at least once in their life. I saw him for the fifth time last night in Richmond, VA, and drat if it wasn't one of the best times I've seen him.

Does anyone know what the process is to get on stage these days is? It used to be just "Rush the stage!" but now I think you have to get in line before the show, or something?

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

SgtScruffy posted:

now I think you have to get in line before the show, or something?

this sounds really stupid. kind of like paying more than $5 to watch someone gently caress around with a laptop for an hour.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I really like Girl Talk, but the footage that I've seen of him on Youtube, it looks like he just plays his mp3s and checks his email. Is he really mixing/making things up when he does a live show?

I'd actually really like to go to one of his shows, but from what I saw when I looked, the ticket prices were ridiculously expensive in Chicago.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Juanito posted:

I really like Girl Talk, but the footage that I've seen of him on Youtube, it looks like he just plays his mp3s and checks his email. Is he really mixing/making things up when he does a live show?

Yeah, the idea of paying 20+ bucks to see a guy gently caress with his laptop understandably doesn't sound that great, but yes, he actually does mix new poo poo live, so it's not like he just goes to iTunes and plays his own songs. He basically has all the samples he would want to use laid out in a sequencer (Ableton Live if I'm not mistaken), and then he just triggers/loops them as he pleases. The end result is that you'll recognize a lot of beats and whatnot from his records but mix and matched in different ways, with new stuff thrown in. When I saw him the other night he played 'I Believe In A Thing Called Love' and I nearly lost it.

At the show I went to he had two laptops set up, but as far as I saw he only ever one. Could the other be just a backup in case one fails?

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

SgtScruffy posted:

It hasn't been said nearly enough in this thread, or in life in general: Everyone needs to see Girl Talk at least once in their life.

I agree with this completely. Saw him last Thursday in Raleigh and it was one of the best times I've had in a long time. The concept sounds lame (just some guy pressing buttons on a laptop) but once you get in the crowd and the lights shut off, you forget about all that. Plus it doesn't hurt that Gregg himself is quiet a performer. He interacts with the crowd the whole time and leaves everyone soaked in sweat and/or beer.
By the end of the concert, I felt I had gotten my 25 bucks worth of entertainment. I loved every minute of the show and walked away completely exhausted and sweaty. What more can you ask for?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Got the girlfriend tickets to see Girl Talk on Feb 8th for Christmas. We broke up last weekend. I think she got the tickets in the divorce. :smith:

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Wow, Milkman rules. I just removed the last two tracks and will never think about them again.

I'm going through his first two albums now, too. Thanks, thread!

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

The Berzerker posted:

Wow, Milkman rules. I just removed the last two tracks and will never think about them again.

i'm glad i'm not the only one who did this.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
I download Milkman's Algorithms album. I didn't really like the first mixes that I heard but from Love Struck on, I really liked it. (Disregarding the final two tracks).

Downloading his other 2 albums.

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

Algorithms was alright. I didn't mind the final song/s but there weren't really any "holy poo poo awesome" moments.

I did listen to it a few times because I've run out of new mixes. Oh for a good 90 minute set of something. :(

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I suspect you kids will poo poo your jorts when you hear Circle of Fifths.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So out of these last few releases that we have gotten, which do you feel is the best out of them?
I'd have to say the new Ludachrist album is hands down the best.

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Nam Taf posted:

I suspect you kids will poo poo your jorts when you hear Circle of Fifths.

yeah for real, from the streamer on his site i wasn't really sure what to think but after hearing the whole thing it really is great.

Harminoff posted:

So out of these last few releases that we have gotten, which do you feel is the best out of them?

I'd agree with that though it seems that the new Ludachrist used a few too many of the same samples they'd already used on Bangfest. Talk is Cheap really was great, though I honestly feel that Bangfest is still vastly superior. Of the recent batch I'd have to say that Algorithms was definitely the best. Someone said earlier in the thread that Milkman doesn't make certain aspects of songs pop out or something to that effect but I think that's what I like a bit more about his mixing techniques than others, it makes it easier to not hate a song when Lady Gaga or something equally terrible comes on.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
I really am enjoying Milkman's albums. Good stuff.

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich
I'm so bad at identifying tracks for these things. I wish that more artists had dedicated track-by-track listing sites like girl talk. I've looked around about as much as I can but haven't been able to find anything. Am I missing something?

I think it'd be a sweet little project if we could get a few people together to work on a site like that.

lowphat_strawberry
Jul 31, 2009

Harminoff posted:

I'm gonna go right out and say it, but it has to go to Girl Talk's All Day. I wasn't too thrilled about it at first, but after listening to it countless times, I've fallen in love. Something about it feels so much more polished than everything else.

Also, for all those who care, DJ Whoquestion recently released his latest album. He uses samples that I haven't heard before, and there's originality in his stuff. Here's the link for all who care: http://www.mediafire.com/?t0i1vvi3danmns1

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

YET ANOTHER FAG posted:

Someone said earlier in the thread that Milkman doesn't make certain aspects of songs pop out or something to that effect but I think that's what I like a bit more about his mixing techniques than others, it makes it easier to not hate a song when Lady Gaga or something equally terrible comes on.

The best example of this is Controversy off Circle of Fifths. It is just one really smooth track - the base line stays smooth throughout it and the changes just seamlessly blend in to one another, more so than any other artist. I think his changes are the smoothest of anyone's out there and that's what gives his a much more mellow, 'whole of picture' approach rather than individual samples standing out. Let's Go, off Algorithms, was the same.

Also, I'm totes digging the Best of Bootie. I don't normally like the longer, 2-or-3-songs-to-a-track mashup but this is good.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Feb 2, 2011

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

lowphat_strawberry posted:

I'm gonna go right out and say it, but it has to go to Girl Talk's All Day. I wasn't too thrilled about it at first, but after listening to it countless times, I've fallen in love. Something about it feels so much more polished than everything else.

Also, for all those who care, DJ Whoquestion recently released his latest album. He uses samples that I haven't heard before, and there's originality in his stuff. Here's the link for all who care: http://www.mediafire.com/?t0i1vvi3danmns1
I liked DJ Whoquestion, interesting sampling.

SassyCommander
Apr 23, 2009
Ludachrist takes it for me. They were all good releases but i enjoyed Talk is cheap the most. 'Sweet dreams' mixed in with 'bitches and money' makes me lose my poo poo everytime.

Best of booty and DJ Whoquestion's mix are both very enjoyable.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

I give my vote to Milkman's Algorithms. I've listened to it the most of all the recent releases but maybe this will change when E-603's album is released :3:

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

gently caress SNEEP posted:

I give my vote to Milkman's Algorithms. I've listened to it the most of all the recent releases but maybe this will change when E-603's album is released :3:

Ditto. i still listen to GT's All Day but i think it's not close to FTA or NR. i think Ludachrist's album is OK; it uses some good samples but i can never get used to the glitchiness/ADD parts of it.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Anyone have a link to the tanner4105 albums? I lost them and can't seem to find a valid link anywhere.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I've been going through the DJ Whoquestion material and really enjoying it. If you go through his posts on his facebook most of the links to albums are still valid and there's a lot of good stuff here.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
Here is an earlier album from his Facebook page, I really like what I've heard so far.

DJ Whoquestion - Big Big Trouble
http://www.mediafire.com/?zzdqqznaw02

edit- drat, I really like this album. not crazy about all of the tracks, but this is overall good stuff.

Juanito fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 5, 2011

check
Jan 23, 2006

Papyrus Domination to the FACE!
This is probably my favourite album he's done but overall he's pretty solid and releases pretty polished stuff.

DJ Whoquestion - Hot Plate
http://www.mediafire.com/?qzmyowvlt5j

Harminoff posted:

Anyone have a link to the tanner4105 albums? I lost them and can't seem to find a valid link anywhere.

Only one I have is Tanmania of the 4105 Galaxy
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1364134/tanner4105%20-%20Tanmania%20of%20the%204105%20Galaxy.rar

check fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 5, 2011

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
hopping on the DJ Whoquestion bandwagon. haven't really checked out "Big Big Trouble" but i'm liking "Loaded" a lot. he needs to release a full album stat

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Here's a link to DJ Whoquestion - Hot Plate
http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/9/15/219303/DJ%20Whoquestion%20-%20Hot%20Plate.zip

It's his other GT-styled album. I also got Fight at the Opera and A DJ Whoqeuestion Christmas and they're interesting theme albums but they're the 2-3-song style mashups so less "this thread". I couldn't find a working link for his older-than-that material but it's also not the multisong style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Harminoff posted:

Tanmania of the 4105 Galaxy
The Disney EP
Bad Apollo

Ignore my stupid naming conventions.