Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Christian Mingle
Sep 11, 2005

2508084 posted:

So, I think I'm freaking out my therapist.

:v: So anything interesting happen this week?
:what: Not really, I went to work, school, the gym, the usual
:v: Oh? Hows school?
:what: good, classes are fine. I didn't do well on one test, but that was test anxiety. I can sit down and study now, so I'm not worried about this semester or getting overwhelmed.
:v: Oh.. so that.. what are you taking.. adderall? Thats helping then?
:what: Yeah.
:v: Well, any problems at work?
:what: We're busy, but no problems
:v: Oh.. alright so hows your mood, have you been upset lately?
:what: Not really, I just go to school, work, go to the gym and do homework.
:v: Have you eaten out lately? I know you love to go out to eat.
:what: Not really, trying to save some money now. Just in case something happens and I need some cash on hand.
:v: ...... oh... well....

The whole 20 minute (supposed to be 60) session could be summed up with "oh.." She honestly seemed a little bothered.

:lol: I had almost this exact same conversation with my therapist the other day.

Also, I had an appointment with my psychiatrist this week. I asked if I could slightly increase my dose of Vyvanse. Surprise, surprise, of course he refused. Because I could (gasp!) plateau on it at any minute! And just asking about slightly increasing my dose raises red flags that I may be a junkie!

I'm on 30mg, by the way.

Christian Mingle fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

2508084 posted:

I've never had a job give me health insurance. If I can't afford to pay for my pills, I just get to stop taking them. Gotta love them lithium withdrawls when you've been taking 2100/day for 3 months. :v: I work for the government and I don't get health insurance, "maybe in a couple years." :toot:

That just sucks. I feel for you. And I've definitely been in that situation before. :glomp:

Theomanic
Nov 7, 2010

Tastes like despair.
I was diagnosed with Adult ADHD (or ADD?) a couple months ago. I'm finding it... hard to believe. I can sit and read three books straight, barely coming up for air. I read fast (I'm told) at about 60-70 pages an hour, up to 100 if the book is very basic or I'm really into it. I don't know if that has some effect on it.

In school I did okay - I was in the gifted program, but except random courses that I cared about (in which I would get 90-100) I usually got low 60s just cuz I didn't do the work. It was just boring so I didn't even try. It's not like I would sit at my desk and be distracted by every shiny thing. I hung out with my friends, played on the computer, whatever.

I do frequently get random trains of thought that lead me in weird directions and are very distracting. And when I get my head set on something, I HAVE to deal with it because I can't think about anything else. Like right now I should be studying for a midterm tomorrow and first I was posting in some other forum and now this! Chee. I'm even interested in this course. However, since I've gone back to university, I've been doing pretty well... 80's in everything (four courses so far) and the school I go to is pretty tough.

So I don't know. I don't FEEL like I have ADHD, I feel like I'm just lazy and don't want to do things which are boring.

Secondly, my doc has put me on various meds and my reactions have been weird. He gave me some Ritalin but then said I should try some dailies due to my reaction to Ritalin. First he tried Vyvanse, and by the second day I was nearly hysterical with anxiety. I stopped after three days. Then I tried Concerta and it was just as bad. I woke my boyfriend up at 3am because I became certain the veins on my palm were freakishly huge and I had some sort of blood disease..? Yeah, I stopped that one after four days. These are not normal behaviours for me (though I am prone to anxiety, not to that degree).

Now I'm just taking the Ritalin, which my doc sez works for only four hours. I take it very rarely, just before I need to study, like now! The first time I took it (10mg), I got unbearably sleepy and took a three hour nap. Then I cut down to 5mg and pretty much didn't notice any benefit, so I went back to 10mg. I notice I have an easier time focusing (aka making myself do boring stuff), but not THAT much easier. I took it an hour ago and I'm here instead of with my face in the books, after all. Also, I still get very sleepy every time I have it at the 10mg dose. If I lay down right now, I'm pretty sure I would fall right to sleep (and I wasn't tired before, get enough sleep last night, etc). Everywhere I read people say Ritalin gives them energy!

I've discussed this with my doctor but each time he suggests a new daily drug (like Concerta and Vyvanse). I don't want to have him make me try another one! The two I've tried so far made me miserable. Do you think (I promise I will not sue) that I should try upping my dose of Ritalin to 15mg or 20mg? Or is this sleepy thing something that will not go away?

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

Theomanic posted:

I was diagnosed with Adult ADHD (or ADD?) a couple months ago. I'm finding it... hard to believe. I can sit and read three books straight, barely coming up for air. I read fast (I'm told) at about 60-70 pages an hour, up to 100 if the book is very basic or I'm really into it. I don't know if that has some effect on it.

In school I did okay - I was in the gifted program, but except random courses that I cared about (in which I would get 90-100) I usually got low 60s just cuz I didn't do the work. It was just boring so I didn't even try. It's not like I would sit at my desk and be distracted by every shiny thing. I hung out with my friends, played on the computer, whatever.

I do frequently get random trains of thought that lead me in weird directions and are very distracting. And when I get my head set on something, I HAVE to deal with it because I can't think about anything else. Like right now I should be studying for a midterm tomorrow and first I was posting in some other forum and now this! Chee. I'm even interested in this course. However, since I've gone back to university, I've been doing pretty well... 80's in everything (four courses so far) and the school I go to is pretty tough.

So I don't know. I don't FEEL like I have ADHD, I feel like I'm just lazy and don't want to do things which are boring.

Wow I could have written this, even the part about going back to school. I did really well in college a few years ago, but then the second I lost interest in the idea of going to school, I dropped all my classes and dropped out. My therapist thinks I might have ADHD, but I can't take any meds right now because I'm still breastfeeding.

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh
I'm freaking since I miscalculated my budget wrong and gave away $140 almost 2 weeks ago to cover my friend's vet bill for his cat. She had cancer and needed to be euth'd and he couldn't get his mother (the actual owner) to cover the bill. Now I'm like, $400 in the hole. Goddammit, come back from your volunteer trip doctor *shakes fist* Also, why was I stupid enough to rely on freelance writing for a job when I have language skill problems! </e/n style rant>

Also, has anyone else found they do really weird things to calm themselves down? I'm spending my night writing out the same budget crunching, grocery lists, things that need to be done etc in a notebook over and over again. Exact same thing, just over and over. Copying everything calms me down I guess, regardless of what I'm writing.

Aculard fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 25, 2011

LurkLurkLurkLurk
Jun 10, 2009
I have the worst ADHD ever. I quit school in roughly 7th grade because I had a corporal release punishment form signed by my parents and everytime I didn't do my work I got my rear end beat with this huge wooden paddle by our football coach, but I still wouldn't do it because I still couldn't focus, so they beat my rear end until I couldn't even sit down in a desk proper.

I also have horrible anxiety and treatment resistant depression that go hand in hand with my adhd, but it ain't nothing weed can't fix

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Aculard posted:

Also, has anyone else found they do really weird things to calm themselves down? I'm spending my night writing out the same budget crunching, grocery lists, things that need to be done etc in a notebook over and over again. Exact same thing, just over and over. Copying everything calms me down I guess, regardless of what I'm writing.

Similar, I analyze my budget, class schedules and walk around the grocery store when I'm upset or anxious.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

LurkLurkLurkLurk posted:

I have the worst ADHD ever. I quit school in roughly 7th grade because I had a corporal release punishment form signed by my parents and everytime I didn't do my work I got my rear end beat with this huge wooden paddle by our football coach, but I still wouldn't do it because I still couldn't focus, so they beat my rear end until I couldn't even sit down in a desk proper.

I also have horrible anxiety and treatment resistant depression that go hand in hand with my adhd, but it ain't nothing weed can't fix

Corporal punishment is bullshit. There is no amount of beating that will make someone with ADHD focus, in fact, it makes a person with ADHD just give up. I'm sorry that had to happen.

That being said, weed sure helps, but therapy works best. At least for the anxiety.

LurkLurkLurkLurk
Jun 10, 2009

Effexxor posted:

Corporal punishment is bullshit. There is no amount of beating that will make someone with ADHD focus, in fact, it makes a person with ADHD just give up. I'm sorry that had to happen.

That being said, weed sure helps, but therapy works best. At least for the anxiety.

I'm actually starting therapy today, hopefully can get on adderall.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
edit: depressed re-reading this :(

jenny jones fan fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 29, 2011

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh
Milky, sounds like you have it bad. I might switch to strattera or something next time I see my doc because I'm experiencing the same sort of thing.

So, my e/n related post for the week is that I didn't earn "enough" money, so my husband and I will have to sit down tonight and discuss who's moving where and I'll be going on welfare. I hope he doesn't act like a dick, he's the only person with a car who can take me to the town next to us to seem y doc for disability application filling out...whatever it is... :smith:

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Aculard posted:

Milky, sounds like you have it bad. I might switch to strattera or something next time I see my doc because I'm experiencing the same sort of thing.

Adderall helped me with getting boring poo poo done or feeling "excited" to do stuff, but I think it was more of a high than anything else. After being on it for a year I loving hated the stuff and felt like it was just like drinking 6 cups of coffee than actually doing anything.

Straterra, I knew was for me, as soon as I heard it takes a few weeks to kick in. This told me it was a long-term solution and not a quick "high" like I got from Adderall. I really recommend people try it first. Though I do miss how much weight I was losing on that Adderall.

Ask your husband to be patient. My lady was very frustrated at first (she thought I wasn't trying to get help) but she stuck by me and it all paid off. I know it sucks right now but with the right medication, it will get better.

jenny jones fan fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 26, 2011

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Milky_Sauce posted:

It’s loving crazy. For the first time in my life I hung out with my girlfriend at a nightclub (something I was vehemently against) until 4 in the loving morning! I used to go to bed at 9PM on a Saturday because I didn’t feel like doing anything. With my ADHD, I had the non-stop feeling of “needing to get away from wherever the hell I am right the gently caress now” no matter what I was doing. I’d be at a friend’s wedding and have to sit in my car for half an hour for no loving reason. Not any type of social anxiety, just for no loving reason!

I do this and I think its terribly obnoxious. I used to walk around downtown and go buy stuff or visit bars and stuff for the hell of it because I never wanted to sit still and then would leave wherever I was at just as quickly. It was a constant feeling of "I don't wanna be here, I wonder what else I can do".

quote:

It even caused really weird poo poo to go on in my mind, like priorities (this was something I couldn't control even though I wanted to). Let’s say I have a midterm paper due, and I promised I’d fix someone’s broken Xbox 360. I’d start fixing the broken Xbox 360 even though the midterm is due way sooner. But if the broken Xbox was due sooner, I would have started the paper sooner. :wtf:

There’s some things I actually miss about my ADHD. I’ll never forget the time I built a website by sitting on my laptop for, quite honestly, 33 hours straight only to sleep and take a piss. Those days are over. I miss the day I read the entire “Last Words” by George Carlin in 6 hours (I didn’t close the book once). The funny and strange thing is that even with my ADHD, I went to college (started at age 24) and got straight A’s for 90+ credits. Now that my ADHD is gone, I took a break. Kinda strange, huh? My doctor says ADHD causes a sort of “hyperfocus” so it explains why I can sometimes not read a single paragraph and other times read a 400 page book in one sitting. It has a unique charm, but holy poo poo I would not want it back if my life depended on it (and it kind of did).

Hyperfocus was cool if I could control it, but most times it would lead to to me randomly pulling out old computer hardware, installing OpenBSD or slackware on it and configuring software I'd never touched before on a whim, and then noticing 8 hours had passed. Of course, I'd end up wiping the system the next day since I really didn't need to do whatever I had just done.

This has also led to a bunch of mostly-complete websites and code that I'll start working on for long hours until the hyperfocus wears off, at which point it gets zipped up and dropped off somewhere on my external hard drive, never to be worked on again.

Maybe now that I'm medicated I should take a look at that old stuff.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

ClosedBSD posted:

I do this and I think its terribly obnoxious. I used to walk around downtown and go buy stuff or visit bars and stuff for the hell of it because I never wanted to sit still and then would leave wherever I was at just as quickly. It was a constant feeling of "I don't wanna be here, I wonder what else I can do".

haha, yeah. I remember apologizing to a friend that that I left his bachelor party like 5 times throughout the night for no apparent reason. It was in a club in a hotel, so I literally just left and explored the hotel and its different ice machines and soda machines :wtf:

It's so easy to think ADHD is depression because with ADHD (at least in my case) you don't feel much like leaving the house because, quite frankly, why would you? Anywhere you go is going to be miserable. Might as well stay at home and re-label your entire Sega Saturn collection instead!

ClosedBSD posted:

Hyperfocus was cool if I could control it, but most times it would lead to to me randomly pulling out old computer hardware, installing OpenBSD or slackware on it and configuring software I'd never touched before on a whim, and then noticing 8 hours had passed. Of course, I'd end up wiping the system the next day since I really didn't need to do whatever I had just done.

This has also led to a bunch of mostly-complete websites and code that I'll start working on for long hours until the hyperfocus wears off, at which point it gets zipped up and dropped off somewhere on my external hard drive, never to be worked on again.

Maybe now that I'm medicated I should take a look at that old stuff.

That's why I am so happy I found this new doctor. She can't prescribe me medicine (I have another doctor for that) so she only tries to help me figure stuff out. She explained to me how much sense it makes that I love computers especially reinstalling software and stuff. I used to, all kidding aside, wipe the OS on my smartphone, reflash it, and reinstall all the software about 3-4 times a week. Since on Straterra I have not done it once. And if I had to do it, I'd be pissed, not happy.

I'm also finding it really easy to say no to people now, especially in regards to helping them build a website or fix their computer. I usually say I am too busy where I used to say "yes! give it to me!" any chance I got. My doctor said this was a combined thing where the ADHD causes me to blurt out answers (like "yes I'll do it!") and also my body's need to do work like that to stimulate myself.

Untreated ADHD was said to be a major cause of Kurt Cobain's depression, apparently. It's really loving weird it contributed to so much to me, but it did. I asked my mother if there were any signs of ADHD when I was a child (because at the time, I was still convinced it was environmental; ie: I watched a lot of TV), and she said looking back, there were signs of it when I was an infant. My parents special ordered me a toy that advertised that it could not be broken. Apparently I was breaking every single toy I got; but I was not smashing it into the wall or anything. No, I was meticulously taking it apart. Exactly the way up until recently I would take apart brand new electronics or computers. Anyway, she gets this "unbreakable" toy for me. It was this farmhouse that had little animals on tracks that you move around but they could not be physically removed. She said I figured out that if you take out the farmhouse in the middle, you could then slide the animals off the track and up out of the farmhouse. I managed to open up and take apart the unbreakable toy.

loving crazy poo poo, man. And just like you, I built about 15 different websites and none of them are complete.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

I'm just obsessed with crosswords. I work a phone job and am allowed to read or do crosswords and it has seriously become like crack. I fly through crossword books and I'm never more focused as when there's a puzzle that's making my mind just shut up for a little bit. My co workers tease me about it, but since I've been doing it for a while, it's become a past time to time how long it takes me. (Small ones are ten minutes, Monday crosswords are 30 min, NY Times Crossword can go for hours and still never get finished.) It's kind of funny what people with ADHD do to calm themselves down, from computers to exercise to crosswords.

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head
This thread is interesting, and I really wanted to read beyond the first page, but I couldn't pay attention well enough.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

mike grace jones posted:

I wasn't diagnosed until a few months ago (I'm 24). You are very lucky to have gotten treatment at 15. I managed to hold a 3.0 GPA through high school and a top college without doing reading, or any work on time, or even buying books through all of college, but every day I resent that I was able to be a "functional ADD," because as soon as I left the womb of academia the real world hit HARD. I never understood how to manage basic little mundane life tasks or even find an occupation that interested me because EVERYTHING was interested at first and then suddenly not at all. When I think about what I could have accomplished by now if I had been treated throughout my middle and high school years...it's all very depressing. Be happy for the time you've had.

I'm in this boat, I am 26 and just found out. I have failed out of college and went from job to job, and racked up tons of debt, and had so many arguments with my wife that could have been avoided. It really sucks that no one ever cared enough to notice before. I am still on the first page of the thread but I had to reply.

Reading some stuff about ADD and I find the "ADD is a gift" bullshit insulting. It has ruined my life for 26 years, it's not a loving gift.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I cannot for the life of me remember to schedule the appointments I need to make so that I can proceed with a diagnosis ffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuck

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Wartime Consigliere posted:

Reading some stuff about ADD and I find the "ADD is a gift" bullshit insulting. It has ruined my life for 26 years, it's not a loving gift.

Seriously.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Truth.

I feel like I have my life in some semblance of order now. But, in the back of my head, I have that nagging thought *what if I had gotten diagnosed earlier*? I could have taken the Programming classes I wanted to take 10 years ago, and be in a much different place than I am now. (Fun fact! I first started studying programming in 2000, with C++, before I dropped out because I started a new job, and then had some serious health issues come up. Not a typo. Literally 10 years later, I've decided to resume my studies with C#, and am so glad I did. Completely and totally challenging, but also fun. And something I couldn't do without my beloved :catdrugs: )

Now I'm going to calm myself down by looking at my pretty computer wallpaper of Diego Forlan, and take a small walk.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
adhd is a gift if you're surfing, or skiing, or riding a motorcycle at high speeds.

it only sucks when you need to conform to "normal" life.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

cloudstrife2993 posted:

adhd is a gift if you're surfing, or skiing, or riding a motorcycle at high speeds.

It's also a gift when you really get wrapped up in a project for work. Because hey - that 'normal' life is sometimes necessary when you have to do bizarre, off-the-wall things like pay rent or buy food.

It's not a gift when you have to sit through interminable meetings or worry about the dress code. But hey - at least I don't have to wear high heels like the women in Marketing have to. Being a geek girl rules :colbert:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I think we can all agree here that the world would be a better place if we didn't have to buy food or pay rent :)

This is also called being homeless :(

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

Don't get me wrong, if I hadn't been put onto medication I probably would have committed suicide by now. But does my ADHD give me good qualities? Yeah, it does. My mind moves so fast that I pick up on random little poo poo that most people don't. And since my job involves fundraising to 30 totally different non profits, I have to remember a lot of stuff about each campaign so that I sound like I actually know what I'm doing. And thanks to my ADHD, I'm able to remember all of these minute details about our campaigns that most people forget about. The fact that I'm so impulsive also makes me talk to people I wouldn't normally because I don't really have that moment of 'Hm, well should I?'. My mind also looks at things differently, so I'm able to come up with these totally different ideas and am a pretty awesome partner in brainstorming. People with ADHD are more empathic, so I understand people to a whole new extent.

And yeah, I flunked out of college. My finances are a wreck. I've been meaning to fix the cracked side mirror on my car for 2 years now but I just never get around to it. ADHD sucks a lot of the time. But that's me. My confidence and over focus are qualities that my fiance loves. And since I can't change the fact that I have ADHD, I play to my strengths and find ways to minimize my weaknesses. And frankly? I really appreciate the ways that ADHD makes me a better person.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

I didn't mean that it was a gift, hell I've done so much work in my spare time that hasn't gotten finished that I feel like a lot of my life was a waste of time.

I just thought the weird, occasional monthly hyperfocus spells were bizarre.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

cloudstrife2993 posted:

What's funny is that I was thinking about when should I and when shouldn't I take my meds if I'm prescribed any.

I realized my mind works a lot faster than my peers, but at the expense of attention to detail. When I'm hauling rear end in a car or on a bike, I can process lots of sensory stuff since none of it is particular detail intensive. So on weekends where I have a bike race or just want to exercise, I figure I won't take meds those days.

But on work days, totally gonna medicate. Is that how you all use your meds? Use them to help focus on work days and run wild on fun days?

Ffffuck I just realized I forgot when I scheduled my appointment with my GP to get this all rolling. Better call their office...

EDIT: Hahaha - the office just called to remind me of my appointment. Thank God for doctors that do that!

Dolemite fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 28, 2011

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Sep 18, 2012

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Dolemite posted:

What's funny is that I was thinking about when should I and when shouldn't I take my meds if I'm prescribed any.

I realized my mind works a lot faster than my peers, but at the expense of attention to detail. When I'm hauling rear end in a car or on a bike, I can process lots of sensory stuff since none of it is particular detail intensive. So on weekends where I have a bike race or just want to exercise, I figure I won't take meds those days.

But on work days, totally gonna medicate. Is that how you all use your meds? Use them to help focus on work days and run wild on fun days?

Ffffuck I just realized I forgot when I scheduled my appointment with my GP to get this all rolling. Better call their office...

EDIT: Hahaha - the office just called to remind me of my appointment. Thank God for doctors that do that!

More or less. Sometimes if I really want to push myself I'll take my meds when I'm going mountain biking so that I keep pushing myself past the point where I'd usually get bored, but yeah most of the time I just go med free on the days when I'm doing fun stuff. Even when I'm on my meds and doing fun stuff, my ADHD can shine through and help me process info quickly.

I've noticed that when I'm driving around town I can notice things such as nails on the approaching roadway (even on the freeway). That is pretty loving cool!

edit

I highly suggest to all of you here that you try picking up an "extreme" (though you need not do it in an extreme fashion) sport such as mountain biking or snowboarding/downhill skiing. ADHDers seem to have a natural knack for these and it really helps to be good at something without having to try super hard and be medicated. It's a real confidence booster and it shows you that you're not just a total fuckup.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 28, 2011

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

Hamburglar posted:

There's some people who can have ADHD and not get depression with it, though. Those people might benefit from it. Personally, I don't know how the hell people can benefit from needing some sort of mental stimulation 24 hours a day, but I bet some do. I'm guessing the depression that comes with ADHD is from being frustrated with yourself.

That's why Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is so useful. It trains your mind to stop hating yourself, and to stop constantly putting yourself down. I say this a lot in this thread, but if you want to feel as good as you can about your ADHD, get onto medication, wait till your dosage is nice and stable, and see a cognitive behavioral therapist. That way you take care of the big nasty symptoms of ADHD, and then can deal with the mental aftermath from years of never feeling good enough. It also is the best way to deal with anxiety, in my experience.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Effexxor posted:

That's why Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is so useful.

And expensive. I dream of the day I get health care and then my 12 month waiting period is up because I'm already sick. I call my therapist and therapist, but she's not. Shes a 'Marriage and Family Counselor.' She's also an idiot.

Apparently my job has "mental health days" where if something happens, they'll send me to someone to ~talk it out.~ But first you have to go through HR who decides if its worth a mental health day, a person with no psychiatric training what so ever. Its a nice gesture :unsmith:

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

2508084 posted:

And expensive. I dream of the day I get health care and then my 12 month waiting period is up because I'm already sick. I call my therapist and therapist, but she's not. Shes a 'Marriage and Family Counselor.' She's also an idiot.

Apparently my job has "mental health days" where if something happens, they'll send me to someone to ~talk it out.~ But first you have to go through HR who decides if its worth a mental health day, a person with no psychiatric training what so ever. Its a nice gesture :unsmith:

Man, gently caress the crappy mental health care system in this country. In my state, if you have any kinds of mental health care issues and you're unlucky enough to live in the western part of the state, you have to drive at least 3 hours to get so a psychologist/psychiatrist/therapist. It's bull.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Dolemite posted:

Yeah, I verify that docs call to remind me of stuff. Because I need that.

With my meds, I take them during my work week (Mon - Fri), but then take the weekends completely off of them. I started doing that because the Dex would kill my appetite to the point where I'd get fatigued. Because I'd just literally not eat anything all day. The weekends would be where I 're-fed' myself. Luckily, my appetite balanced out and I have one again, but I still take the weekends off. My new job is weird and I'm constantly absorbing new info, so it's good to have some time off to just chill and let it all sink in to my head.

(And the rationing is helping while I straighten out the health insurance snafu I'm in :argh: . At least I'm milking the old insurance for all it's worth; this month it's mostly paying for refills on my meds, prescription sunglasses, and a crown for a bad tooth :colbert: )

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 29, 2011

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
yeah the best reason for taking weekends off (aside from mental health) is that you'll then have a few week's worth of medication saved up for the inevitable insurance snafu. Like just recently, my insurance decided they would only cover my meds if I ordered them from their mail order partner pharmacy. Which is fine, except it took over two weeks from placing the order to getting my meds.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
Well, I'm getting my prescription for Straterra today. This will mark the first time I've been on ADD meds in eight years. I've been taking Tenex, but that was more of a blood pressure med that I had hope would alleviate my ADD. Several months on it and it's no good except as a blood pressure medication.

Anything I need to know about it weird side effects or otherwise? I know it takes about a month to kick in, so I'm hoping this a good long term solution. I've never been on a non-stimulant ADHD med before (again, not counting Tenex).

EDIT: OK! Thanks to some insurance hoops, I will not be starting it today after all. Hopefully, it will be in a few days. Still would like any input.

volts5000 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 31, 2011

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Sep 18, 2012

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
Oh man. Oh MAN. :smithicide:

I meant to get down to the pharmacy this weekend, but it never happened. I tried to go on Sunday, but they were closed. I had to white knuckle it all day without any adderall and I felt like hell. Not like, withdrawal hell, mood-hell. I was, quite literally, right back where I was before I started it. I felt awful, all the terrible thoughts were back in the forefront of all my thoughts, I just wanted to go home, lie down and die. Not a harm to self or others, not planning on committing or attempting suicide, etc. Finally after class (oh, class was fun) I took the bus down to the pharmacy and got my ~happy drugs~. It didn't help that I forgot to take my Wellbutrin since I didn't have any adderall to take. Wellb has a half life, but gah, today was awful.

Fortunately, I had enough money for the medicine and its sitting on my counter till tomorrow. I knew it made a huge difference, but jesus, if I ever lose this I think I'll go straight insane.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

2508084 posted:

Oh man. Oh MAN. :smithicide:

I meant to get down to the pharmacy this weekend, but it never happened. I tried to go on Sunday, but they were closed. I had to white knuckle it all day without any adderall and I felt like hell. Not like, withdrawal hell, mood-hell. I was, quite literally, right back where I was before I started it. I felt awful, all the terrible thoughts were back in the forefront of all my thoughts, I just wanted to go home, lie down and die. Not a harm to self or others, not planning on committing or attempting suicide, etc. Finally after class (oh, class was fun) I took the bus down to the pharmacy and got my ~happy drugs~. It didn't help that I forgot to take my Wellbutrin since I didn't have any adderall to take. Wellb has a half life, but gah, today was awful.

:glomp: You are not alone. It might actually be the Adderall.

Adderall does the exact same thing to me. 5mg XR, when it wears off, makes me weepy and grumpy at the entire world, and weird, ruminating thoughts go through my head for hours. (Like, I'll get seriously SERIOUSLY angry at that random dweeb who defriended me from LJ 5 years ago. :psyduck: ) 10 MG XR, when it wears off, puts me on the Express Train to Suicidal Ideationville.

It's one of the reasons that I switched to Dexedrine IR. I get the attention span, but without the grumpiness when it wears off. (It does have its own special side effects, but none that I would deem a major problem for me.)

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Qu Appelle posted:

:glomp: You are not alone. It might actually be the Adderall.

My therapists attitude makes me constantly want to scream ITS NOT METH WITHDRAWAL I'M NOT SMOKING MY PILLS or whatever the hell she thinks I'm going to do with them whenever I describe something that might sound remotely like I'm addicted. God does that even make sense? She really, really wanted me to be an alcoholic for 2 years, to the point where she forced me into AA threatening to put me back on the streets if I didn't go. She finally gave up on that a couple months ago now that she doesn't quite have the stronghold on my housing like she used to. Anyhow.

I know its the Adderall, because what you described is how I know I'm late taking it. I get irritable and I start thinking awful poo poo. I think I'll just go to bed early, get up early, take my pills and try to cram in my homework before it's due at 2pm because nothing is getting done tonight.. because nothing got done today.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Hamburglar posted:

I noticed no side effects at all. You might be a little frustrated that it won't work right away (stimulants work immediately) but to me, that was a good thing. I didn't want something that wore off. Give it time, and remember that if you aren't happy after a month, they might need to adjust your dosage.

No side effects here except lack of depression and anxiety :)

I don't think stimulants were ever effective for me. I was on Ritalin in middle school, Adderall in high school, and Concerta in college. I don't remember feeling any different. I don't remember any changing habits or people saying, "Wow! You seem more on the ball!" Nothing! I think I need something with a slow burn. I'm definitely ready for it. I was supposed to clean the kitchen tonight. Here's how I went about it:

-Unpacked groceries from tonight
-Unloaded dishwasher (while going back and forth playing DJ on my computer)
-Gave my puppy some attention
-Loaded dirty dishes from the sink to the dishwasher
-Worked on my face in the makeup mirror
-Picked up and loaded dirty dishes from around the house
-Cleaned off the dust accumulation from bathroom vent (it's been bugging me for weeks)
-Picked up trash in the kitchen
-Answer emails from work
-Read funny websites
-Take out trash

Only been at it since around 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Tomorrow's my first visit to the GP to get a referral to a specialist. :ohdear:

I'm nervous, I hope I don't get brushed off! I hope the doc takes me seriously and refers me to the specialist. I just don't know how I'll be able to handle it if the doc tells me to get lost.