Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

If you haven't already tried it, when you set up your mailbox on the N8 hit "decline" on the ToS page and it'll just act as a straight IMAP/POP client rather than going through OVI. The email app suddenly becomes a lot more responsive and a lot less buggy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Deal alert:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3380588

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Not sure if this is the right forum topic post for this but its as close as I can find.

I Purchased a Nokia 6700 Slide today and I managed to get a thumbprint on the screen before I could put a screen protector on, no big deal I though ill just clean it off.

I *very* carefully cleaned it with a fine/clean microfibre cloth and the screen now seems marked as a result. I had read many reviews and none had mentioned that if you (figuratively) so much as look at the screen wrong it gets marked and demoing the phone in the shop for an hour did not give me any such concerns ether.

So I am a pretty disappointed/puzzled. Does anyone here have this phone or prehaps another recant mid/high end Nokia Slider/Candybar and can offer some feedback/comments ?

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!
I have an N97 that gains scratches when wiped clean with dilute rubbing alcohol and microfiber. Very unfortunate since the touch screen needs cleaning regularly. Sounds like Nokia used the same material on the 6700!

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Is anyone here useing WiFi with no issues on a N8(set to wireless N with WPA2) with a Netgear DGN2000 router, ether with most recant offical firmware or the last version of DGTeam firmware ?

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!
Are you experiencing issues with wifi?

I have a WRT54G with Tomato. Occasionally the wifi craps out on my N8. The workaround is to manually disconnect and reconnect the wifi.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

Septimus posted:

Are you experiencing issues with wifi?

I have a WRT54G with Tomato. Occasionally the wifi craps out on my N8. The workaround is to manually disconnect and reconnect the wifi.

Well the N8 and the Moto Defy are pretty much the last phones on my list for consideration and the Defy reportedly has Wifi compatibility issues so...

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Goodbye e71. I will use you when I'm overseas unless I root my new mytouch 4g.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Nokia Reader was just released in beta labs, and it's actually pretty good.

In other news, still no 1.1 firmware release date from Nokia.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

So, like a dumbass, I buy back into Symbian. :saddowns:

I really, really loving miss the Nexus S software, but the thing felt like a cheap toy, and I'm going on a trip soon and the camera in the Nexus S was simply awful. No better, maybe even worse, than my old N82. It also helps that I was able to sell it up here in Canada at a profit and then buy the N8 $250 cheaper from Newegg.ca.

Stockholm syndrome. :smith:

So as it is I already hosed up my N8. It stopped booting (I have absolutely no idea why, honest to god) so I did a master reset, aaaand as a google suggests this was a bad idea. So no Ovi Store for me anymore. (yes I have reinstalled QT, I get "PIPS Installer" errors) Nokia Care told me to wait for a firmware update to see if it fixes it, or send it in and they'll reflash everything. Of course they also told me that the firmware update would come in January. Oh how I remember these promises of firmware updates from my N82 days. :argh:

The next major problem is a lack of Japanese character support in the .ttf files bundled on NAM N8s. Why the hell they do this is beyond me. It's trivial to place fonts in E:\resource\fonts and get the N8 to render Japanese characters, but finding a font that works as well on the screen as the default S^3 is a pain in the rear end.

As a final note: thank god for Opera. It may be buggy, it may crash from time to time, yet somehow it's still infinitely better than the piece of poo poo browser Nokia still ships.

God, it's mindboggling, why the gently caress did I do this.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 31, 2011

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

LiquidRain posted:

So, like a dumbass, I buy back into Symbian. :saddowns:

I really, really loving miss the Nexus S software, but the thing felt like a cheap toy, and I'm going on a trip soon and the camera in the Nexus S was simply awful. No better, maybe even worse, than my old N82. It also helps that I was able to sell it up here in Canada at a profit and then buy the N8 $250 cheaper from Newegg.ca.

Stockholm syndrome. :smith:

So as it is I already hosed up my N8. It stopped booting (I have absolutely no idea why, honest to god) so I did a master reset, aaaand as a google suggests this was a bad idea. So no Ovi Store for me anymore. (yes I have reinstalled QT, I get "PIPS Installer" errors) Nokia Care told me to wait for a firmware update to see if it fixes it, or send it in and they'll reflash everything. Of course they also told me that the firmware update would come in January. Oh how I remember these promises of firmware updates from my N82 days. :argh:

The next major problem is a lack of Japanese character support in the .ttf files bundled on NAM N8s. Why the hell they do this is beyond me. It's trivial to place fonts in E:\resource\fonts and get the N8 to render Japanese characters, but finding a font that works as well on the screen as the default S^3 is a pain in the rear end.

As a final note: thank god for Opera. It may be buggy, it may crash from time to time, yet somehow it's still infinitely better than the piece of poo poo browser Nokia still ships.

God, it's mindboggling, why the gently caress did I do this.
I hope you forgive me if I bask in your pain for a bit, but this brings me back to my S60 days. I think that the only advantage that the symbian phones have is that they have a good camera built into them. There is literally no other advantage to going with one - every other aspect of the hardware and software (and support) is a throwback to 5 years ago.

If the Nexus S is anything like the other Galaxy S phones, they all felt plasticky and cheap. HTC and Moto make phones that feel a bit more substantial.

I hope your firmware comes and saves your phone, but sadly, I don't think it will. I just saw a report that in Q4 2010, Android finally overtook symbian in worldwide sales. Nokia's ineptitude to keep their OS relevant is going to take huge bites out of their rear end until they're relegated back to making only dumbphones.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Civil posted:

I hope you forgive me if I bask in your pain for a bit...
I have it coming. :)

quote:

I think that the only advantage that the symbian phones have is that they have a good camera built into them.
Battery life is another thing. My N8 gets 3 days to a charge. Again, handy when travelling to know that the device will be there and ready when I need it. Rumours have it that battery life will improve with the next firmware update, but that brings us back to the issue of firmware updates. :)

quote:

If the Nexus S is anything like the other Galaxy S phones, they all felt plasticky and cheap. HTC and Moto make phones that feel a bit more substantial.
I have a friend with a Nexus One and I definitely prefer the feel of that device. If I had to select another Android device it'd be the T-Mo G2, but I'll keep my thoughts on the matter to that length since this is the Nokia thread. Short version: nothing meets my hardware needs and desires like the N8 in Androidland at the moment.

quote:

I hope your firmware comes and saves your phone, but sadly, I don't think it will.
My hopes are pinned, frankly, squarely on Opera to keep updating their browser until an ideal Android phone comes along. I have no confidence in Nokia outside of Ovi Maps and the camera, and both of those work well enough on my phone that they don't need updating.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 31, 2011

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Civil posted:

I hope you forgive me if I bask in your pain for a bit, but this brings me back to my S60 days. I think that the only advantage that the symbian phones have is that they have a good camera built into them. There is literally no other advantage to going with one - every other aspect of the hardware and software (and support) is a throwback to 5 years ago.

That's pretty much where I am with the N86 at the moment!! Of course, it was unsupported almost right out of the box, but somehow the firmware updates they've actually managed to release (the last one coming up on a year ago) have only broken the phone more

I had to uninstall all nonessential services, including ovi maps, just to keep the OS from popping an "out of memory" error every five seconds. Might have something to do with the phone packing roughly the same amount of ram as my old TI-83+ (at least the calculator let me garbagecollect when it got overloaded)

But you're right, it does take great photos. A shame nothing I've shot in the past month shows up in the gallery, seemingly because it decided to replace everything from 2011 with random photos from 2009 :unsmigghh:

Gerudo Rivera fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 31, 2011

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
With all due respect, Nokia only have good photo because it uses Hugh sensor. While the N8 has a very good phone camera, its nowhere as good as other 1/1.7 inch sensor digicams.

You can easier find a $100 used camera that has better noise reduction, color reproduction and image quality than the N8. The trick is you have to look for sensors in the 1/1.6-1/1.7" range.

For example, the Fujifilm f100fd, one of the best low light camera in its time, f50fd, Panasonic LX2 LX3 can all be had for south of hundred bucks. Canon actually doesn't make digicam of this class (large sensor short zoom range compact) until recently with the 90 and the 95. But Fujifilm was the best when it was making its own super ccd sensor.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

whatever7 posted:

With all due respect, Nokia only have good photo because it uses Hugh sensor. While the N8 has a very good phone camera, its nowhere as good as other 1/1.7 inch sensor digicams.

You can easier find a $100 used camera that has better noise reduction, color reproduction and image quality than the N8. The trick is you have to look for sensors in the 1/1.6-1/1.7" range.

For example, the Fujifilm f100fd, one of the best low light camera in its time, f50fd, Panasonic LX2 LX3 can all be had for south of hundred bucks. Canon actually doesn't make digicam of this class (large sensor short zoom range compact) until recently with the 90 and the 95. But Fujifilm was the best when it was making its own super ccd sensor.

But none of those have phones attached to them, do they.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gerudo Rivera posted:

But none of those have phones attached to them, do they.

Those Nokia phones are freaking thick.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

whatever7 posted:

Those Nokia phones are freaking thick.
I had, and loved, my f31fd and remember that the f50 was not much of an upgrade. (same sensor size, more megapixels, not much better image quality) Of course, I covet the series more for their use of CCD sensors than CMOS sensors, because that means kissing rolling shutter goodbye. I'll echo the same sentiments above, though. It's not attached to a phone. The N8's camera is good enough that I can say the N8's camera is good enough. It's not a bad thing to have to resort to using my N8, it's not a step down into "good for 800x600 Facebook and that's it" photography like every other phone photo & video sample I've seen. The N8 also has unbelievably high quality microphones in it and uses them very well while recording video, and that was the real star of the show for me. I simply love how the N8 captures audio. Pair it with more-than-competent 720p video capturing and I'm a very happy camper in that department.

My N8 is modestly sized. Sure it's no Nexus S or iPhone 4, but I see a lot of other people with condoms on their slimmer phones that make them just as thick or thicker than the N8. More to the point, I don't care. The N8 is not larger than my pocket like a 4-or-more-inches model. It's also not as thick as a brick, despite feeling as solid as one, and that's another reason why I went back. The N8 simply feels fantastic to hold in your hand, more so than any other touch screen phone I've held.

(provided you don't need to hit that menu button at the bottom) :ninja:

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 1, 2011

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
My e71 has been everything I've wanted in a phone and more. My favorite is downloading podcasts off the air and never having to plug it in except to charge. There's only one thing I'd really like from my e71 and that's a program that would allow me to turn it into a wireless keyboard for my pc. I already have a Microsoft Mouse and can use the on screen keyboard alright with windows 7 but the ultimate combo would be the ability to just enter in text from my phone like a keyboard. Do any other phones do this? If so, which ones? The program would need to work through wifi or bluetooth. I don't think I have infrared for my computer even though I know my phone has it.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Android has several apps that let you use the phone as a keyboard and mouse via wifi, if that's what you're asking.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Or you could buy something like this:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=55441&vpn=900319&manufacture=VISIONTEK&promoid=1285

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
i guess i just thought it would be reasonable for a nokia product to be able to do something the more expensive technnology could do. I've been thinking about getting a wireless keyboard but i'd rather just pay five or ten dollars american for a program that keeps me from having more gadgets, but it sounds like it was never developed and probably won't be.

SamuraiPaul fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 4, 2011

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I've seen keyboard apps like that on Maemo, but not Symbian.
This Salling script might work:
http://www.salling.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6921

stevridie
Mar 29, 2007
Get me a dooberry, Quick you fool....
Today sees the release of the Nokia N8 PR1.1 firmware.

Availability seems to be dependent on location.
Unfortunately not in the UK yet :(

Details here:
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/12559_PR_11_firmware__now_available_.php

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

stevridie posted:

Today sees the release of the Nokia N8 PR1.1 firmware.

Availability seems to be dependent on location.
Unfortunately not in the UK yet :(

Details here:
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/12559_PR_11_firmware__now_available_.php

Nor Canada :saddowns:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

WorldWarWonderful posted:

Nor Canada :saddowns:
Haha a North American Symbian phone getting updates? Cute.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Haha a North American Symbian phone getting updates? Cute.

Nokia does not need to pander to the North American media for world domination. :colbert:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
It looks like Stephen Elop is all out of chewing gum:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/08/nokia-ceo-stephen-elop-rallies-troops-in-brutally-honest-burnin/

And I wonder how AAS will spin it? Frankly, though I have fully (and happily) migrated to iOS, I'd love nothing more than to see Elop turn the ship around.

HPL fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 9, 2011

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

HPL posted:

It looks like Stephen Elop is all out of chewing gum:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/08/nokia-ceo-stephen-elop-rallies-troops-in-brutally-honest-burnin/

And I wonder how AAS will spin it? Frankly, though I have fully (and happily) migrated to iOS, I'd love nothing more than to see Elop turn the ship around.

I doubt that it's real, even though he probably should send out a memo like that.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

DuckConference posted:

I doubt that it's real, even though he probably should send out a memo like that.

It's real. I thought Nokia was going to make some 'partnership' announcement on Thursday. If they're smart, they'll announce they're jumping on the WP7/Android bus, but they'll probably blindly forge ahead with their plan of terrific cameras grafted to outdated phones.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

DuckConference posted:

I think the brilliance of it is that he points out how the low end of the industry is now under threat. Until now, Nokia has been resting on its laurels safe in the knowledge that they'll still sell more cheap phones than anyone else regardless of what happens at the high and mid end. He's saying that there's nowhere left to run so wake the gently caress up.

JSW2
Apr 26, 2008
I've got a question for anyone who may have bought an unlocked, unbranded North American N8. I know that Nokia's not good at providing input language support, but I want to make sure that this version of the N8 supports viewing Cyrillic characters in email, text messages, and the like without messing around with new firmwares and/or language packs.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
3/4 of the characters on the wikipedia page for Cyrillic shows up as boxes

JSW2
Apr 26, 2008

Dr Tran posted:

3/4 of the characters on the wikipedia page for Cyrillic shows up as boxes

Well, that's disappointing. My E71 shows all the ones I need for Russian. You still get lots of little boxes on the wikipedia page for the Russian alphabet?

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

JSW2 posted:

Well, that's disappointing. My E71 shows all the ones I need for Russian. You still get lots of little boxes on the wikipedia page for the Russian alphabet?

About half of them for me. Nokia has (surprise surprise) taken a step backwards and made language support worse for S^3. It doesn't affect me at all, but I know a few users who want / need language support and are coming off older S60 devices, and it just isn't there.

JSW2
Apr 26, 2008

WorldWarWonderful posted:

About half of them for me. Nokia has (surprise surprise) taken a step backwards and made language support worse for S^3. It doesn't affect me at all, but I know a few users who want / need language support and are coming off older S60 devices, and it just isn't there.

Thanks guys. I need a new unlocked phone and was hoping to snag the N8, but I need to be able to read Russian and the Russian N8 isn't worth the $250 premium over the American one. Shame too, I really wanted to have Ovi Maps and that camera.

Jesus Christ Nokia, what happened to this "Connecting People" thing?

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

JSW2 posted:

Jesus Christ Nokia, what happened to this "Connecting People" thing?

You have to have the right product code for that :downs:

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I've also called Nokia Support to see if they even have language packs, or anything remotely similar. They said "no" and that they won't solve the problem. Just kept repeating that "language support is based on the region you bought the phone in."

JSW2
Apr 26, 2008

LiquidRain posted:

I've also called Nokia Support to see if they even have language packs, or anything remotely similar. They said "no" and that they won't solve the problem. Just kept repeating that "language support is based on the region you bought the phone in."

Really? Despite "Send it in to add a new language pack" being the official line of their support forum?

Stuff like this makes me wonder why I have any good will towards this company at all. loving ridiculous.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I have no good will towards Nokia. I know why I bought my N8 and I know when I'm getting rid of it.

Your best bet to get international language support is to try and convince someone from the region you'd like to copy the fonts off their Z: and send them to you. I tried pleading on Howard Forums for someone with a HK phone to do this, but I had no luck in getting a response. If you do get your hands on the .ttf files, you can just drop them in E:\resource\fonts on your N8 (hook up your N8 in mass memory USB mode or you don't get write access) as the following:

nosnr60.ttf
nssb60.ttf
nstsb60.ttf
S60ZDIGI.ttf

And you're good to go. You can use any unicode TTF font file in there, actually. Just rename anything from your Windows/Mac to those 4 files. Be warned, though, that the majority of TTFs you'll find take up a lot more screen space than the S^3 font. Also be warned that the S60v5 font is different than S^3 and that, while it works and will render int'l fonts, looks ugly when rendered on S^3.

[edit] And if you're that obsessed with getting int'l fonts without Nokia's help, you can try flashing your N8 to a different region's firmware without changing the product code, grabbing the .ttf files, then flashing back. This is risky business and may or may not cost you your Ovi Store access like a hard reset would. Oh, and the Nokia font is proprietary/copyrighted/possibly trademarked, so you won't be finding it if you're thinking about the Symbian open source repository. And the (Droid Sans font family from Google won't work either since all the int'l symbols are embedded in a "DroidBackup.ttf" that's separate from the primary DroidSans.ttf, and Symbian simply won't do anything with it.

[edit2] If you live in a Euro region or any region with actual, physical Nokia care centres, you can try visiting. I don't though, so fun times!

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I don't know if its suitable for Symbian but the Segoe UI (the default Vista/Windows 7 UI font) looks pretty good on Android.

There is a Zune version too (Zegoe) might also be worth a look

• Locked thread