Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavaaDAAAAAVE
Jun 2, 2008

Phone posted:

You can't drive on the ice. Just a fact. Mine was totaled out by insurance last week, and I was supposed to go get an alignment today but had to cancel since everything was a sheet of ice. The car is easy to drive as long as you have decent and appropriate tires. It does decently enough in snow with the all-seasons that I have, but the thing weighs nothing and that has it's penalties in the snow.

Since you're in the area, call up Long Road Racing (NE Raleigh) or Sports and Compacts (next to the Fairgrounds) for a PPI. LRR is the real deal when it comes to a shop, though right now they're going from Daytona to Sebring for testing in the Rolex series.

Definitely will. Thanks for the advice.

destructo posted:

You're not looking hard enough. There's a manual 2001 with 48k miles with clean title and a rollbar in CA for $4800.

Very true. I found a few low mileage ones under 6k after I got to my home computer. They've gimped my access at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Pro tip for anyone breaking down their 10+ year old engine soon: Get a god drat heat gun and roast the hell out of anything rubber you have to disconnect until it's basically melting off the connector, because otherwise it will all just crumble away. I've sent like 10 hoses to vacuum hose heaven.

Gonna be done in a few days though :woop: will it run? who knows! but maybe I can stop driving this other car that has the same power of the miata but weighs twice as much.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Mazda outdid themselves with the NC airbox. The latches are ridiculously hard to release. They are also sharp enough to slice and dice when they pop loose. Unlatched, you have just enough clearance to wiggle the old filter out and jam the new one in. If you're lucky you won't shred the filter or your fingers in the process.

They try to be helpful and put orientation labeling on the filter itself. Helpful except for the part where 'Front' = 'Front of the engine' not 'Front of the car'. Thankfully 'Up' is still 'Up'. Get the orientation wrong and the box won't latch together. Get it right and there's still a good chance it won't latch back together on your first 3 tries.

:supaburn:

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Can someone double check my timing?

(This pic is a bit off due to the angle. It looks correct to me IRL)

Looks alright?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is that one tooth too many between the timing marks on the top of each gear? I could have sworn I had 19 teeth on the belt between the marks, and I'm getting 20.

Also, looks like an early NB with the crank trigger wheel and no VVT. That crank trigger wheel will physically fit both ways but thanks to the 2mm dish, it only works one way. Make sure it's on right or you'll get no spark.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I count 19 belt teeth between the marks at the top of the sprockets.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
It's a 96-97. Crank wheel for OBD-II misfire detection and a CAS on the back.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I think there is indeed an extra tooth between the marks, I need to go run to the garage and double check. The deflection seems to be right on, so one of the cams needs to be rotated inwards... but they both look like they are properly positioned, so I am a little confused.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Okay I adjusted it to this:

But the marks on the block look a little bit off. Maybe I didn't tension it enough? What am I doing wrong now? Seems like I can either have the 19 teeth or have it be properly aligned?

Actually now that I look at it, seems like I can just rotate the exhaust cam a little and it will line up fine. Yeah?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You're lined up. Just make sure that nothing has slipped on the crank.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
My 2001 Miata is very shaky (like the famous 65mph shimmy) at speeds above 65 mph. It used to be stable until 80 mph, but then I got the tires rotated and it started to shake above 75, then I got a puncture repaired and it got worse.

I checked the lug nuts and they seem to be on tight, what else can I check?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Mark Larson posted:

My 2001 Miata is very shaky (like the famous 65mph shimmy) at speeds above 65 mph. It used to be stable until 80 mph, but then I got the tires rotated and it started to shake above 75, then I got a puncture repaired and it got worse.

I'd start first with the the stereo.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Mark Larson posted:

Check your canooter valve and subwoofer bearings. If its not that, its probably either a tire balance problem or in need of a wheel alignment.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Piano posted:

Can someone double check my timing?

(This pic is a bit off due to the angle. It looks correct to me IRL)

Looks alright?

This is not TDC, it's 10*BTDC. The counterclockwise mark needs to line up with the TDC mark, not the 10 mark. The two marks are for setting timing, not the timing belt - the OEM mark for that is behind the balancer mounting plate on the oil pump itself.

Once you rotate the motor 10deg forward, you may find that both of the cam gears are off by a tooth.

It's already been mentioned, but 20 teeth is incorrect. You need 19 teeth and the motor exactly at TDC, and then both of the marks on the timing plate will line up.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Savington posted:

This is not TDC, it's 10*BTDC. The counterclockwise mark needs to line up with the TDC mark, not the 10 mark. The two marks are for setting timing, not the timing belt - the OEM mark for that is behind the balancer mounting plate on the oil pump itself.

Once you rotate the motor 10deg forward, you may find that both of the cam gears are off by a tooth.

It's already been mentioned, but 20 teeth is incorrect. You need 19 teeth and the motor exactly at TDC, and then both of the marks on the timing plate will line up.

Yeah I actually noticed that with the middle TB cover off, you can just look down at the crank gear itself. I ended up using that as a reference.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Sad miata :(

Got rear-ended on the highway because a guy wasn't paying attention to the emergency vehicle on the shoulder and slowing traffic ahead.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Brain Issues posted:

Got rear-ended on the highway because a guy wasn't paying attention to the emergency vehicle on the shoulder and slowing traffic ahead.

Oh nooo!

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Brain Issues posted:

MAZDA CURSEEEE gently caress YOUUUU

OH MY GOD, I JUST GOT INTO ANOTHER ACCIDENT
TWO IN TWO DAYS

This time I was coming home from work going straight through an intersection when the light turned yellow, I didnt have enough room to stop so I went through, a car coming from the opposite direction ran the yellow turning left and we collided. My car is totaled I'm pretty sure. It was too dark for pictures maybe tomorrow I can go to the body shop and get pictures.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sup crashed NB buddy.

gently caress, I forgot to call the shop today to find out if mine is done yet.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

IOwnCalculus posted:

Sup crashed NB buddy.

gently caress, I forgot to call the shop today to find out if mine is done yet.
:hfive:

I'm reallyyyy pissed.

Because these are two different accidents with two different insurance companies it will likely not be considered enough damage to total it.

I really don't want to drive this car after it is repaired, I feel it has sustained way too much damage.

What should I doooo?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If you get it fixed at a reputable shop, you should not have a problem. Sell it to me for $1500 after it is fixed if you don't want it. Paint it black please.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I wonder if it could be double totaled. That would be pretty sweet.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Edit: double post whoops

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 26, 2011

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

FatCow posted:

I wonder if it could be double totaled. That would be pretty sweet.
If that was the case, it'd turn the worst two days of my live into the best thing that ever happened to me.

Elephanthead posted:

If you get it fixed at a reputable shop, you should not have a problem. Sell it to me for $1500 after it is fixed if you don't want it. Paint it black please.

I wouldn't sell this car to anyone that I liked. Both airbags blew and it took a great deal of damage.

Just got the body shop estimate from the second crash. Its definitely going to be totaled. They estimated just over $10,000 to repair only the damage to the front, the back damage was estimated at $2,000 already. Bringing it to a total of ~$12,000 to get my miata back in the condition that it was in. Blue book value private party in good condition was only $7500.

What should I buy now? :D

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 26, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Brain Issues posted:

What should I buy now? :D

A brighter coloured Miata.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
A nicer Miata.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Half of an Elise.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Pontiac Solstice GXP.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Those tires were like brand new too :(

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Looks like a great candidate to be turned into a track car. Is the upper frame rail still straight?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Lyesh posted:

Half of an Elise.

ComradeFlynn's Elise. :v:

According to the body shop mine is getting a full respray sometime in the next few days. Should make it easier to sell :)

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Buy a nice NA and turbo it.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Well poo poo now I'm scared to drive mine until springtime.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Piano posted:

Well poo poo now I'm scared to drive mine until springtime.

Neither accident was my fault and weather was not a cause of either accident. It was pure negligence on the other drivers both times. Don't be scurred.

FatCow posted:

Looks like a great candidate to be turned into a track car. Is the upper frame rail still straight?

No its not straight at all.

Edit:

By the way, the car that hit me was a Buick Rendezvous (their big ugly suv) and I was going about 35-40MPH, kind of a testament to the safety of the Miata if anything. Or maybe a testament to how lovely the Buick Rendezvous is?

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 27, 2011

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Every time I get on craiglist and do a blanket search for 'miata' auto parts, there's always a dozen listings for 18" rims. Miata specific.

Craiglist :pwn:

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Piano posted:

Every time I get on craiglist and do a blanket search for 'miata' auto parts, there's always a dozen listings for 18" rims. Miata specific.

Craiglist :pwn:

Pretty easy, just always include a "-rimz" or "-honda" etc.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
gently caress Jiffy Lube in their stupid faces.

I have never paid someone to change my oil before. Since I haven't bought a jack or stands yet I figured hey why not? So I brought in the OEM filter I bought a month ago. The guy that checked me in said it would be no problem. Well they put in a Mileguard, which is apparently a rebranded Fram and left mine on the passenger seat. Well guess I have 3000 miles to get a set of stands and a decent jack. Harbor freight is going to love me.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Turns out the miata is pleasantly capable in the snow. I'm in the middle of this fuckoff snowstorm in Oklahoma and I had to drive home last night in it. traction was sparse but overall is was very controllable. There were a few times I was glad I was pretty much the only car on the road though.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

We got hit with the snowpacolypse here in the midwest. My girlfriend's dad asked me, "your car is rwd right?" my response was, "in this weather, its fun wheel drive :smug:" I can't wait to snow rally to the store tomorrow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ape
Jul 20, 2009

:drac: