Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

ephex posted:

So I'm walking around atm with an AirCast splint and sometimes crutches.
In around six weeks I'm allowed to start sensible running, hopefully I'll be able to do my 8km runs soon since I already feel fat and bloated :D

And this was my story :D

You're crazy.

Played on Wednesday, got 35 minutes after waiting the first half in a torrential downpour with horizontal wind. First touch was a header that hit the post which was annoying as gently caress, but I did manage an assist and to annoy the opposite centre back so much he tried to punch me in the cock. :) good times.

Really need to practising on my left foot though, had a chance on it that was right at the keeper.

Won 8-0, with 6 goals when I was on the pitch :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Christ I feel sorry for some of you lads. I'm a fairly wee lad, although well built, and I tend to throw myself into challenges to a ridiculous degree for indoor football games and the worst I ever come out with is a few layers of skin off my knees.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

Ramagamma posted:

Christ I feel sorry for some of you lads. I'm a fairly wee lad, although well built, and I tend to throw myself into challenges to a ridiculous degree for indoor football games and the worst I ever come out with is a few layers of skin off my knees.

lucky dog, I've had a rough string of injuries these past few years, 2010 was the worst for me. Out of the whole year I was healthy for no more than 5 months, with 2 bad ankle sprains like ephex posted, surgery on my previously broken foot, 2 torn hamstrings, and a torn tricep (that didn't keep me out of action.) I'm healthy again now but I'm taking time off. I'm trying to fight my way back to fitness since I've put on 35lbs during all this injury time. It's gotta come off before I think about playing again since, being total poo poo on the ball, all I had going for me was my fitness.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

ibroxmassive posted:

You're crazy.
ㅣhe tried to punch me in the cock.

which brings up the point, u guys wear crotch guards when u play? Do pros wear them?

Teh Jawesome
Apr 8, 2004
Hot!: Free title from Coupons!
No.

I've never heard of anyone who does, either.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Teh Jawesome posted:

No.

I've never heard of anyone who does, either.

this. I'd imagine it would chafe like crazy

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
The keeper on my indoor squad wears them. I think he's nuts (ho ho).

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I didn't wear a cup when I played lacrosse, of course I'm not wearing one to play football.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

GravityDaemon posted:

The keeper on my indoor squad wears them. I think he's nuts (ho ho).

As an indoor keeper, I could not wear a cup (even though I wear gloves+knee pads+elbow pads). So loving awkward. I take a solid nut-shot once a season or so [insert quip about 'miniscule target' here :v:], so it's a tradeoff between being crippled for five minutes once a season or having constant chafing and irritation.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Having taken the ball square in the nuts yesterday when playing indoor, I can advocate the use of cups while playing.

(Just kidding, it would probably be horrible running with one, but loving hell I hate when that happens).

It was annoying too because I was on a high after blocking 3 or 4 shots/passes in fairly quick succession, then one guy on the other team goes to take a shot, I charge it down and then suddenly wish I'd turned my back toward it.

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!
i'm going into the town where i got a knife aimed at my during a brawl last time i played in it. i'm a little nervous, but i love playing :x

do any of you soccer players go to SJSU here in California??

and for the goalkeepers: how do you keep your shinguards in place? what gear do you use?

CAMiasm fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 6, 2011

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I don't use a cup - you don't tend to get hit often enough to make it worth it, and it won't permanently damage anything if it does.

I use shinpads that have full ankle protectors, both when I play in goal and when I play as a winger. I know a lot of people prefer smaller ones, but the extra protection is really nice, and helps hold them in place. Doesn't seem to effect my speed at all either.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Cups? Get away, those have no place in a mans game, except for maybe Cricket.

I don't think any of the people we play with even use shin pads. Apart from one lad who specifically uses them because of my often clumsy challenges.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

CAMiasm posted:

and for the goalkeepers: how do you keep your shinguards in place? what gear do you use?
socks? :confused: or just get a pair with straps or the sock kind?

Also not wearing shin guards is a little dumb, I don't wear them all the time, but if it's a serious match I would. I've clashed shins with people enough that it's worth it. They're actually required in leagues here or in any competitions I've played in

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Really starting to hate this dickhead manager we have. I'm the club treasurer, I've been absent for 1 single game all season, and yet I get 30 minutes off the bench every other week. I could understand it if I was bad, because to be fair just having a staff role shouldn't guarantee you a place regardless of ability, but I have literally earned man of the match twice now on two rare occasions I started (even put forward by the manager himself) and I was back on the bench the next week.

If we have any new players it's always me that misses out so he can try them out, even though we have 40 players on the club books now and don't need to recruit. Everybody in the team hates him and there are a bunch of good local players who have played before that have said they will come back the day the manager leaves. Yet he's still here.

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!
i've tried a few different kinds of setups:

-full shinguards with ankle support
-"blades" with the little elastic tube thing they came with to hold them in place.
-blades without the elastic tube but halfway inside a regular pair of socks with a pair of soccer socks pulled over with tape around the bottom but not the top.

i find the last one to be best, but i still have the problem of the sock coming down. taping above the shinguard doesn't hold them in place any better. the guy at my local soccer shop told me to try using electrical tape instead of athletic tape.

not wearing shinguards is not an option. the leagues i'm in require all players to be wearing them. i like to wear them even if they're not required. the extra protection gives me confidence to be aggressive.

i was particularly glad i was wearing shinguards after a play that happened today. it was a 50/50 high bouncing ball. i ran out and jumped to grab the ball with my leg leading the way for protection. i hit the guy in the face with my shinguard/knee and he went down. i think he had a concussion by the looks of it, but i didn't get the chance to chat with him after the game. i felt bad :|

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E66HF0GSak

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like its going to be back to good old weekly football for me this year. This is a good thing because I love to play and becuase it'll help me lose weight. Its a bad thing becuase despite the fact I think my fitness has been improving, when it comes to running about a pitch for an hour I don't have the stamina a 25 year old male should have.

Great that its going to be an every week kind of thing though. At least the liverpool socks and new trainers I bought last week will get put too good use.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

You're not allowed to play in the league if you haven't got shinpads, and it's something they're really strict on. Got some Adidas ones on offer from Sportsworld that have the ankle support, because gently caress getting kicked in the ankle.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Its now almost three weeks after my injury and I can already walk again without crutches. I feel p good at the moment, yesterday I even walked a bit without the AirCast, feels good!

My foot is still a bit swollen, though. Perhaps I overdid it the last couple of days with the walking around, but gently caress sitting at home all day every day.

If the healing process continues at this level, i expect myself back on the pitch in another three weeks at the latest. Gotta start walking longer distances in a week or so, then sensible running.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

ephex posted:

Its now almost three weeks after my injury and I can already walk again without crutches. I feel p good at the moment, yesterday I even walked a bit without the AirCast, feels good!

My foot is still a bit swollen, though. Perhaps I overdid it the last couple of days with the walking around, but gently caress sitting at home all day every day.

If the healing process continues at this level, i expect myself back on the pitch in another three weeks at the latest. Gotta start walking longer distances in a week or so, then sensible running.

Six weeks from injury-->pitch for that kind of injury seems pretty incredible - don't gently caress it up again!

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

ibroxmassive posted:

You're not allowed to play in the league if you haven't got shinpads, and it's something they're really strict on. Got some Adidas ones on offer from Sportsworld that have the ankle support, because gently caress getting kicked in the ankle.

I don't understand how people can play with the ankle supports. It seems to limit my mobility, plus I'd rather trap/control/pass with a bare ankle than a support.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Ungratek posted:

I don't understand how people can play with the ankle supports. It seems to limit my mobility, plus I'd rather trap/control/pass with a bare ankle than a support.

It's just a thicker bit of sock and the two bits of plastic covering the ankle bone that sits on the side, so it never touches the ball. Never had any problems with mobility in it either, you can twist your foot around in it just as much.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Already about two and a half months out with a ruptured Achilles and can pretty much expect not to play for the rest of this year. What a lovely loving injury.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

ibroxmassive posted:

It's just a thicker bit of sock and the two bits of plastic covering the ankle bone that sits on the side, so it never touches the ball. Never had any problems with mobility in it either, you can twist your foot around in it just as much.

To each his own I guess. I play with Youth Small shinpads and just deal with the various knocks/bruises because I prefer to have as little as possible on my legs as possible. Don't even bother in my indoor league because they're not mandated.

Unrelated, but does anyone have recommendations on turfs? Going to the shop this weekend to get a pair but don't know where to start

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Ewar Woowar posted:

Already about two and a half months out with a ruptured Achilles and can pretty much expect not to play for the rest of this year. What a lovely loving injury.

poo poo man :( You getting the weird pogo-stick crutch?

Ungratek posted:

Unrelated, but does anyone have recommendations on turfs? Going to the shop this weekend to get a pair but don't know where to start

Plastic blades over studs every time. so much better to run in. After that, whatever feels good.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Unfortunately the place that runs my league doesn't let us do that anymore, which is why I'm now stuck buying shoes just for fieldturf

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

ibroxmassive posted:

poo poo man :( You getting the weird pogo-stick crutch?

Plaster for the first two weeks. Then moon boot for a month and now heal raises in shoes for a month. Then a whole lot of physio I guess. Happened in our last game of the season too :(

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Went out tonight to play some ultimate. Now my feet are loving killing me (new cleats - have a giant blister on my heel as well) and I have to play indoor tomorrow. Any magic tricks for getting the lead out of my legs?

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Ungratek posted:

To each his own I guess. I play with Youth Small shinpads and just deal with the various knocks/bruises because I prefer to have as little as possible on my legs as possible. Don't even bother in my indoor league because they're not mandated.

I wear full size shin pads with a solid outer shell and ankle guards. I don't even notice them when I'm playing but I certainly feel the knocks if I don't wear them. It's definitely a strange thing how some people wear nothing but tiny slip in ones and others swear by full ankle guards, the works.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Alctel posted:

Six weeks from injury-->pitch for that kind of injury seems pretty incredible - don't gently caress it up again!

Nah I'm taking it slow, but I really got top-notch treatment and I have always healed quickly. But I won't play football before i can run my usual distance without any problems.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Its a bit unbalanced the old shin-guard issue. I suppose it depends on who you play with though. My games are always indoors, and its a fairly rough floor we play on. Its not really encouraged to fly into tackles or be overly aggressive, I mean its a kickabout with mates at the end of the day. I've got a reputation for making dicey challenges but thats less me being a oval office like Kevin Muscat and more be being a clumsy lughead like Titus Bramble.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Thel posted:

Went out tonight to play some ultimate. Now my feet are loving killing me (new cleats - have a giant blister on my heel as well) and I have to play indoor tomorrow. Any magic tricks for getting the lead out of my legs?

Keep running? I started playing Ultimate once a week and football twice a week and my fitness started skyrocketing, it owned

Short-term - I can't really think of anything

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Thel posted:

Blister trick: Put a Bandaid over the blister and cut a hole where the blister actually is. The boot will rub against the bandaid, but since there is no bandaid against the blister, will not touch the blister.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ungratek posted:

To each his own I guess. I play with Youth Small shinpads and just deal with the various knocks/bruises because I prefer to have as little as possible on my legs as possible.

Me too, gently caress shinguards. I wouldn't wear them if I could get away with it.

bruinfix
Sep 6, 2003

My current soccer cleats are starting to hurt my feet and I am looking to get some new ones. Anyone have recommendations on some fairly cheap but good cleats? The ground we play on ranges from almost complete mud to hard dirt depending on when the last time they decide to water it. To add the to the discussion about shin guards, I don't mind playing with them, but I am not a big fan of the shin guard inserts unless I am wearing a thick pair of socks.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
2nd game-week in a row tonight. I'll really struggle to hit 5 goals like last week but hey. I've adapted from constantly sitting back in defence into being something of a midfield playmaker. I can be a right wizard with the ball, its just a pity I can't really run for extended periods.

I may even feel comfortable enough wearing my new Juventus top thats about half a size too small.

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!
the problem with shin guards for me as a keeper is that they always get dislodged from dives/going to ground etc. sometimes i can just pull my sock back up and that'll be good enough but doing that shreds the latex on my very expensive gloves.

:mad:

i watch some pro matches, and it's like their shinguards/socks never move!

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I can't stand my team. We lose 5-4 because they just doing what was working: threading me down a channel and then finding the far post run. All of a sudden with 15 minutes left, everyone decides their going to dribble out the back and we just start leaking goals. Not to mention they have no stamina and can't understand how I can play full game. It's indoor, there isn't a great deal of running, especially if you don't just aimlessly drift out of position then have to panic back into a good shape. They're completely tactically naive and have no footballing brain, and most admit it.

So why won't they just follow simple instructions (ie right winger don't track back so we have an out ball). You think that player would relish the no running and constant service...

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Played my first match of the new season tonight. I played indoor last term and this time it was outdoor... oof. So much more running.

Whiffed an easy shot at the start of the second half. But redeemed myself by scoring the equalizer with about a minute left in the match. Aw hellz yeah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

I played my first match after a extremely long winter break saturday, and we picked up right where we left off: losing hopelessly. I did play as a right midfielder instead of right back for a while and that went very well. I like when there's some space to run into. I could do the same from right back if I wanted to, but that would require us to keep possession for more than 5 seconds.