Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Ray and Shirley posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but how exactly does voice chat work in RDR? I understand that posse members can hear one another, and that you can hear one another when nearby. Can you hear the conversations of other posses? Is there a way to make chat completely private?

XBox Party Chat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Level 10 sharpshooter can suck my dick, any tips? I end up killing rather than disarming.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Pound_Coin posted:

Level 10 sharpshooter can suck my dick, any tips? I end up killing rather than disarming.

Use Dead Eye. It doesn't count as a reload and it won't break your streak.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Note to game developers: making quests depend on random events is terrible, never do it.

I shall find you Death and Chupacabra!

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Pound_Coin posted:

There are two ways I've seen that challenge done.

Make sure you're using the Evans (since it holds 22 rounds) and that you have some chewing tobacco or moonshine in your inventory. Even if the gun runs empty in Deadeye, that reload doesn't seem to matter for the challenge.

The easiest way to do that challenge is to use the Gaptooth Breach hideout, specifically the mine section as it's narrow enough that you can't get surrounded. Start off by killing all the gang members outside the mine, and then equip your rifle and head inside.

Once in the mine, use Deadeye to target the guns of the gang members, and fire one shot at each weapon. Occasionally, the gang members will pick up the fallen weapon again, and disarming them the second time also counts towards the total number you need.

You can also do the challenge by going into a saloon, hiding behind the bar, pissing everyone off, and then shooting the guns from their hands. This nethod is quicker, but is a bit easier to die attempting.

Videotendo
Jan 5, 2011

Button Masher
I really have nothing against Rockstar giving a game a first act instead of going in media res and jumping straight to the "good" parts before establishing why I should give a poo poo. GTA4/RDR use their few first missions to basically familiarize the player with the controls, concept, and characters of the game. It slowly builds up the world and then eventually digs its hook into you when the action begins. It's nothing but typical, but typical rarely appeals to me these days.

Also, I'm the only on the planet that enjoyed taking people out so I could learn more about them. :(

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

Note to game developers: making quests depend on random events is terrible, never do it.

I shall find you Death and Chupacabra!

Death you'll get automatically once you finish the game, the Chupacabra won't spawn until you've gotten all of the other things like it (getting all 4 horses, all the treasure hunter stuff, all the sharpshooter and hunter stuff).

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

Death you'll get automatically once you finish the game, the Chupacabra won't spawn until you've gotten all of the other things like it (getting all 4 horses, all the treasure hunter stuff, all the sharpshooter and hunter stuff).

Being given Death isn't sufficient for the Four Horseman challenge.

edit: Rather, being given Death doesn't skip you from Rank 3 to Rank 5.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

You actually only need to do the Undead Hunter challenges and I think the Horses challenges. I never bothered with the treasure hunting or sharpshooting and still ganked the Chupacapbra and found the Unicorn.

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.
I never 'broke' Death, and ended up just getting him after beating the game. It counted towards the Four Horsemen Rank.

Vizrt fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 30, 2011

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Just killed the Chupacabra.

Now I only have rank 4 and rank 5 of the Four Horseman challenge.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Has anyone seen the Chupacabra a second time? There is a stat for "Chpacabras Killed", implying that they can spawn, but I'm at 100% and played hours and still haven't seen another one.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Welp, after several hours (literally) of riding around aimlessly, I finally completed Four Horses of the Apocalypse rank 4 by find and breaking .... Famine.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

Welp, after several hours (literally) of riding around aimlessly, I finally completed Four Horses of the Apocalypse rank 4 by find and breaking .... Famine.

You know all of them but Death spawn in certain, specific places, right?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I thought I was looking for Death, not Famine.

tickytack
May 30, 2009

Repent Repent Repent Repent
Christ, I finally got around to trying out the multiplayer last night. Do any goons want to posse up and wreck poo poo on some bitches, or did I totally miss the boat on this?

gamertag = marcustrickus

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Herbert Moon got my dumb newbie rear end killed a few hours ago trying to lasso a goddamn thief from stealing his ten bucks.

gently caress you, jerk. Willing to pull a gun on a man cheating Poker.

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
I may be bad, but I feel good.
Haha. That nun that asks you for a monetary donation to help the church just walked up to me after I massacred everyone within a mile of Armadillo while wearing the Bandanna. She came walking up to me talking about how she's heard of my good deeds as I was stooped over and looting a pile of corpses :v: She asks me if I can spare some money so they can buy food, so I donate about $85 to her. She gratefully accepts my donation....And then promptly shrieks at the top of her lungs and goes running off into the wilderness screaming "MURDERER! AHHHH!

I can't help but feel like I just got conned. By a nun :raise:

Spitshine fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 5, 2011

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I ran into the dumb sick girl out in the wilderness and after I gave her some medicine, she still was just sitting out there. When I noticed nobody was watching, I hogtied the bitch and dropped her off in Armadillo. Jesus helps those who help themselves!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Spitshine posted:

Haha. That nun that asks you for a monetary donation to help the church just walked up to me after I massacred everyone within a mile of Armadillo while wearing the Bandanna. She came walking up to me talking about how she's heard of my good deeds as I was stooped over and looting a pile of corpses :v: She asks me if I can spare some money so they can buy food, so I donate about $85 to her. She gratefully accepts my donation....And then promptly shrieks at the top of her lungs and goes running off into the wilderness screaming "MURDERER! AHHHH!

I can't help but feel like I just got conned. By a nun :raise:

The first time that happened to me, I felt bad and let the nun live.

The second time that happened, I accidentally capped the nun in the face with a shotgun blast. Her habit looked like a cop to me.

The third time? Hogtied her and threw her off a cliff.

And nowadays I just cap her in the face.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Herbert Moon kept me up an extra hour last week in a poker game only worth $25, being the only player left with horseshit playing AI. I took his money and shot him in the face.

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
Now that the XP challenge is over and the avatar awards are unlocked, how do I go about actually getting them? They're still showing up as locked in the avatar editor, is there a new challenge to do, or something else?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

PhattWebb posted:

Now that the XP challenge is over and the avatar awards are unlocked, how do I go about actually getting them? They're still showing up as locked in the avatar editor, is there a new challenge to do, or something else?

I got mine as soon as I switched to single player this morning.

And I finally got my Quick and the Everyone Else achievement, and I got it legitimately, without boosting. gently caress. Yeah. :clint:

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.

Peas and Rice posted:

I got mine as soon as I switched to single player this morning.

And I finally got my Quick and the Everyone Else achievement, and I got it legitimately, without boosting. gently caress. Yeah. :clint:

Thanks, I figured that since it was multiplayer XP that it would unlock in a multiplayer session.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

PhattWebb posted:

You literally have to go into single player and save your game.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Crappy Jack posted:

You literally have to go into single player and save your game.

Edit: Never mind, I am retarded. It's some other award that I haven't unlocked yet.

Hellburger99 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 8, 2011

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've just got to west elizabeth and the professor guy is even worse than west dickens. Delving into undead nightmare it was hilariously rewarding to see him get eaten by Natas.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Fire posted:

I've just got to west elizabeth and the professor guy is even worse than west dickens. Delving into undead nightmare it was hilariously rewarding to see him get eaten by Natas.

Both of those guys are every Rockstar quest giving side character ever. They're loud, annoying, flustered, neurotic, ignorant, and they say offensive things that put the protagonist in an awkward position. But, for some reason he needs them and has to tag along on their horrible little adventures. This formula is really tired and it's just annoying at this point. You can't even reunite with your kidnapped wife and child* without being berated and yelled at.

* Near end-game spoilers.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Haha, cougars are the best. I'm riding along when a man screams for help, he's being chased by wolves. So I kill some wolves and the others run away.

"Thanks mister! I thought I was goner for su-" /GETS MAULED BY A COUGAR AS I RIDE AWAY.

A couple nights ago I saw Undead Nightmare was on sale, so I bought some points and got the DLC. But I didn't let it completely download because I wanted to watch netflix or something at the time. I'm pretty sure I let it finish downloading some other time in the last few nights, and now when I go to my active downloads it's saying I don't have any. Fine. But I when I open the game and choose Undead it just takes me to a screen to download content. And on that screen it's showing Undead Nightmare as paid for. How do I get to this damned thing? I don't even want to play it yet (haven't finished the main game), I just want to confirm I got what I paid for.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

You might be able to delete the files off the hard disk in the disk manager.

Of course you might lose your save games and it might not even work. v:shobon:v

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

So I'm screwing around after beating the game. I hear a woman scream, and I turn to see she's being chased by wolves. I race my horse towards her and shoot as many wolves as I can, but one gets in a bite on the woman before I can shoot him. I shoot the wolf as he's on top of her and run over to check on her. But it's too late, she's dead. This is sad, but why let her money go to waste? I take a look around to make sure no one will see me or judge me, and then I loot her body. (post-endgame spoilers) Jack then says, as he's looting the corpse of the dead woman he was too slow to save, "I wanted to be a writer." Now I'm sad. :(

Seriously, though, just recently finished this game, and it's great. All the little things that pop up that have nothing to do with the main story quests just add so much to the game. I made the mistake of fast traveling a lot when I started playing, so I will have to play it again and ride everywhere. Whoever said each journey is like it's own little game is right. Great game, very involved. Created a very believable world.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

jackpot posted:

A couple nights ago I saw Undead Nightmare was on sale, so I bought some points and got the DLC. But I didn't let it completely download because I wanted to watch netflix or something at the time. I'm pretty sure I let it finish downloading some other time in the last few nights, and now when I go to my active downloads it's saying I don't have any. Fine. But I when I open the game and choose Undead it just takes me to a screen to download content. And on that screen it's showing Undead Nightmare as paid for. How do I get to this damned thing? I don't even want to play it yet (haven't finished the main game), I just want to confirm I got what I paid for.

On the dashboard, under My Xbox, go into your profile, and look for Download History. Find the item in the download history, select it, Download Again.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

jackpot posted:

You don't go to DLC in the menu, you just choose Single Player and it gives you the option to start UN.

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Seymour Buttz posted:

Both of those guys are every Rockstar quest giving side character ever. They're loud, annoying, flustered, neurotic, ignorant, and they say offensive things that put the protagonist in an awkward position. But, for some reason he needs them and has to tag along on their horrible little adventures. This formula is really tired and it's just annoying at this point. You can't even reunite with your kidnapped wife and child* without being berated and yelled at.

* Near end-game spoilers.

I'm not complaining or anything. I think he's funny.

One thing I have noticed though is this game takes a turn for the :smith: in general once you reach Mexico. The first part of the game feels like an old western where the bad guys are evil and the good guys are knights, then you get to mexico and the best you can root for is a shallow, womanizing rear end in a top hat who will almost certainly become the dictator he is fighting against. And it just goes downhill from there.

Again, not complaining, just observing

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Fire posted:

I'm not complaining or anything. I think he's funny.

One thing I have noticed though is this game takes a turn for the :smith: in general once you reach Mexico. The first part of the game feels like an old western where the bad guys are evil and the good guys are knights, then you get to mexico and the best you can root for is a shallow, womanizing rear end in a top hat who will almost certainly become the dictator he is fighting against. And it just goes downhill from there.

Again, not complaining, just observing

Yeah, someone once said in this thread that the New Austin segment is tonally like classic american westerns, Mexico is like spaghetti westerns, and West Elizabeth is like the more modern westerns.

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Oh god The last mission :cry: What's more, with the last stranger mission, is the irony that Jack has become what his father was, which was exactly what his father and mother were trying to keep him from becoming, a murderer.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

tickytack posted:

Christ, I finally got around to trying out the multiplayer last night. Do any goons want to posse up and wreck poo poo on some bitches, or did I totally miss the boat on this?

gamertag = marcustrickus

Hell yeah, I feel like I'm the only one who plays anymore.

GT: MasterMandrel

I'll shoot you a message tomorrow

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Bloodcider posted:

Yeah, someone once said in this thread that the New Austin segment is tonally like classic american westerns, Mexico is like spaghetti westerns, and West Elizabeth is like the more modern westerns.

You know, that's extremely accurate. I like the game even more now.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

I was just about to post the same thing. Odd though, I never really took a shine to spaghetti westerns but I absolutely adore Mexico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

thrawn527 posted:

The best part is the musical cues all match to the three genre types as well. The music in the first third is very similar to old school westerns (High Noon, John Wayne stuff), the second third is much more Spaghetti, and the final third is much more like the music from Unforgiven.

It's not so much obvious in game because the cues flow so seamlessly, but if you listen to the Theme from Red Dead Redemption on the soundtrack you can hear them very distinctly (because they play the Theme in the three styles.)

• Locked thread