Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

Battle Cattle posted:

New RE760s. Again. Maybe this time they'll last longer than 11,000 miles?
Blaugh what?! I sure hope my 760s last longer than that :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

IOwnCalculus posted:

YOU BOUGHT THE WRONG COLOR YOU FOOL

Aside from that horrible mistake (the correct answer is red, though if they had made the MS3 in that yellow you rarely see on a standard 3, it would be acceptable as well), enjoy the torque steer.

You're wrong, and I'll give you 3 reasons:

1. CM Blue is nicely subtle and doesn't attract undue attention from the police at radar speed traps. That same subtlety applies to the sleeper status if you have to outpull a fartcanned Ricer.

2. That color is exclusive to the MS3. No need to look for the deeper wing, bigger exhaust tip or 19" boat anchors to identify your speedy bretheren.

3. It's the color I bought, therefore it is better.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Kynetx posted:

3. It's the color I bought, therefore it is better.

Whatever helps you sleep at night :smug:

Also, unless you're going to eliminate the wing, wheels, exhaust, and front/rear bumpers, the car is not exactly subtle in any color.

Alternate response: They all look the same torque-steered into a tree.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Kynetx posted:

2. That color is exclusive to the MS3. No need to look for the deeper wing, bigger exhaust tip or 19" boat anchors to identify your speedy bretheren.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't initially, but I don't know if it made it onto any 3 hatches.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Threw a P0401 tonight :argh:

Cleared it, let's see if it comes back. A small part of me wants to believe it has to do with some of the poo poo truckstop fuel I had to use on my trip to LA last weekend but it's probably just plain clogged at 75k.

If it comes back, I'll get some fresh coolant and a replacement throttle body and do them all in one shot.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 10, 2011

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
So back in August or September, I installed the Cobb SRI, and in January their turbo inlet.

Now I'm getting the bug for an AccessPort. Has anyone on here used one? My car is my daily driver and I baby it. I have a few quick jaunts here and there and drive like a jackass every so often, but its far from a race car. What would you guys recommend? Hold off or just go for it? I'm nearing 32,500 miles, so if I do go for it I'll most likely wait until 36k for warranty to go out.

Being that the SRI and TI are my only mods, is there a better recommended one at this time? I'd like a DP at some point, but I fear turbo issues with it and the install. I've never done one and don't want to put my car out of commission any longer than need be because I stripped my tinfoil-threaded O2 sensors.. Not to mention the "just in case" mod that goes with the DP - the fuel pump. And plugs. And (potential) tune.

I know RMM is another option but I'm torn on which to choose. I don't know if I like CP-E or not and SU's mount apparently falls apart after so long.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If you drive it like a jackass every so often, I'd really recommend the RMM. The TRZ dogbone mount is solid and won't ever break.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Sublime Process posted:

So back in August or September, I installed the Cobb SRI, and in January their turbo inlet.

Now I'm getting the bug for an AccessPort.
Any thoughts or opinions?

I wouldn't mod any further without a fuel pump. I'm willing to bet you're already stressing its limits with those mods on a cold day at lower RPMs. Mazda really designed these engines near the peak of the capability of the HPFP.

To give you an idea, the 2.0T from VW/Audi uses the same pump essentially, yet the engine is designed to run 63 hp less.

You really don't want that pump to fail. Yes, when the pressure drops the ECU pulls back the power to keep things from exploding, but if the pump were to fail completely while under boost you'd be in trouble.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I'd second the RMM and Fuel Pump. In general I think the RMM is a better first mod than an intake. Driving and shifting with a better mount feels so much more solid than the stock one.

I have the 80 duro AWR RMM, and I think there's even a 94 durometer one now.

Battle Cattle
Aug 13, 2003

MOO.
As I suspected, my turbo is eating itself. New one next week under warranty! Why is the TSB only for pre-09 cars? Its not like Mazda unfucked the PCV/turbo in the intervening year...

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

How much black smoke were you seeing?

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
What the gently caress is this poo poo: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f433/cs-hpfp-making-71839/

Why is it that every time I try to search a Mazda forum, I come upon broken attachments, broken links, and deleted poo poo, without any hope of ever deciphering the meaning of the original post? Actually, that's not all I find; sometimes I locate posts by confused people like me asking what the gently caress and they're all glibly told "search is your friend." Jerks.

Anyone happen to know where a NORMAL PERSON might find information about this supposed upcoming "CS HPFP"? I assume the CS means Corksport, but knowing that didn't help my search any.

I bought the PTP high-pressure fuel pump internals, but now that I have them here I hear stories about how they fail and nobody should use them. Now I'm not sure what to do. Maybe if I simply take care (as anyone should, always) and follow installation and break-in routine correctly it won't be an issue.

Anyone in AI already replaced or modified their HPFP?

Frosty- fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 10, 2011

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Make sure you assemble it in a clean room. A single spec of dust is your enemy here and could cause the HPFP to grenade.

I know Corksport has one on the horizon and CP-e has one, but they're impossible to get. The CP-e has some absurd lifetime warranty. They want people to be comfortable putting them on their cars.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It is my humble opinion that the Mazdaspeed forum culture might possibly be the single worst of any car on the internet. It's fragmented as all hell, and negatively so - it seems like all of them purposely obscure / gently caress up / ban people for links to other forums, like SA does with Imageshack. Yet the community isn't actually that large, so instead of one really good forum, we end up with fragments of a small community spewing utter garbage and "USE SEARCH FAG0T" in at least three or four different forums.

It's not even like Miata forum culture where at least the different forums have different audiences, or the Ranger forum culture where the main reason for fragmentation is there are so loving many Ranger owners out there.

It's just poo poo.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Frosty- posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f433/cs-hpfp-making-71839/

Why is it that every time I try to search a Mazda forum, I come upon broken attachments, broken links, and deleted poo poo, without any hope of ever deciphering the meaning of the original post? Actually, that's not all I find; sometimes I locate posts by confused people like me asking what the gently caress and they're all glibly told "search is your friend." Jerks.

Anyone happen to know where a NORMAL PERSON might find information about this supposed upcoming "CS HPFP"? I assume the CS means Corksport, but knowing that didn't help my search any.

I bought the PTP high-pressure fuel pump internals, but now that I have them here I hear stories about how they fail and nobody should use them. Now I'm not sure what to do. Maybe if I simply take care (as anyone should, always) and follow installation and break-in routine correctly it won't be an issue.

Anyone in AI already replaced or modified their HPFP?

It seems like the majority of the Mazda specific forums are pretty horrible. What's the deal with that particular thread? Why was everything deleted/removed/people banned?

air- posted:

I'd second the RMM and Fuel Pump. In general I think the RMM is a better first mod than an intake. Driving and shifting with a better mount feels so much more solid than the stock one.

I'm still waiting on the title for my MS3 from the PO's bank, but the previous owner told me he installed insert into the stock motor mount to stiffen it, but he didn't want to replace the mount entirely. After doing a quick search, it looks like he bought the Corksport rear motor mount insert, but I haven't tried looking in the engine bay to confirm this.

Am I safe for now, or should I think about eventually installing an aftermarket RMM?

I haven't been able to arrive at a conclusion on oil catch cans. Are any of you guys running one? Do you think it's a good idea? (Bonus points if you've seen the inside of your intake or intercooler before/after and can confirm if it actually does any good.)

Edit: \/\/\/\/\/\/\/ Mazdaspeedforums might be one of those forums where it's a bannable offense to: link to other forums; link to vendors that aren't sponsors. :stare:

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 10, 2011

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

MetaJew posted:

What's the deal with that particular thread? Why was everything deleted/removed/people banned?
You got me, I stumbled onto it after it had been mangled. I think it was probably just a link, though.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

air- posted:

94? Yeesh, would you still have teeth in after idle? Unless my thoughts and knowledge on RMM duro is way off; I thought 60 was a typical street use mount?

Also, wouldn't putting a stiffer RMM on cause more stress on side mounts? Anyone confirm this - with torn side mounts or whatever?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
So is this thread just for Mazdaspeed folk or can us naturally aspirated chums get in on it too?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Sublime Process posted:

94? Yeesh, would you still have teeth in after idle? Unless my thoughts and knowledge on RMM duro is way off; I thought 60 was a typical street use mount?

Also, wouldn't putting a stiffer RMM on cause more stress on side mounts? Anyone confirm this - with torn side mounts or whatever?

I'm not sure what durometer the TRZ RMM is, but it's really stiff. The vibrations aren't bad at all, I torqued mine to 80 ft/lbs with some red loctite. Now, if you have the AC on and are totally off the gas in 6th gear and the car starts to slow, it will vibrate a bit.

Battle Cattle
Aug 13, 2003

MOO.

SynMoo posted:

How much black smoke were you seeing?
I think its more the white smoke than the black. When I would leave it to idle for more than a couple minutes, I would see thin white smoke out of the exhaust. I live in a humid climate so I was not certain if it was just water vapor or actual smoke. The PCV was replaced under warranty a couple months ago, I took it in for an oil change today and said "smoking again" and 2 hours later I got the "we ordered a new turbo" call.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

kefkafloyd posted:

So is this thread just for Mazdaspeed folk or can us naturally aspirated chums get in on it too?

I have a regular 3 but I mostly just post worthless inane rambling. :)

As for the forums, I followed them quite heavily for a while back when I had my Protege and didn't really know about cars at all, but since coming here / getting a stock 3, I haven't really kept up. Now it seems to me like the forums are all crap or just plain dead.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I just bought a 2011 MZ3 S Sport hatchback two weeks ago in gunmetal blue. It's quite a change from my previous car, which was a red Firebird.

Most of the Mazda forums are pretty stupid, though Mazda3Revolution at least has all of their how to/mod guides in one convenient place without a lot of broken links. Thinking about putting the LED light strips in the hatch area - compared to the puny stock bulb it's amazing how bright you can get it.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
What do you guys think about changing the plugs - on a maintenance standpoint. I've just hit 32,500 miles and I've always changed plugs around every 30k. (Granted I never bought a new car before either, so..)

Any thoughts?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'd say you're doing it early. The manual states every 75k. I guess if you wanted to be more proactive, you could replace them at 60k. 30k is overkill.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think it's 60k on the turbos?

Either way, I did mine at 60k. It's an easy enough job, just takes a little time to pull the intercooler off. Now that I've had the intercooler off at least twice, it's pretty easy to do the job. Just make sure you actually get all of the hoses cinched down properly. The spring hose clamps on the bypass valve probably won't survive being removed and reinstalled, so be prepared to put new clamps on (or you'll lose boost HARD at ~3500RPM).

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

ffffffff my shifter is all jacked up in my 08.5 Speed. Pushing down to get into reverse takes a ton of effort, and to bring it back up to the forward gears I have to yank upwards instead of it popping back up. From looking it up it seems like dealers just replace the whole shifter. I have a short shift plate but don't see how that can be related, seems like an issue with the shifter itself. Bleh.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

opengl128 posted:

ffffffff my shifter is all jacked up in my 08.5 Speed. Pushing down to get into reverse takes a ton of effort, and to bring it back up to the forward gears I have to yank upwards instead of it popping back up. From looking it up it seems like dealers just replace the whole shifter. I have a short shift plate but don't see how that can be related, seems like an issue with the shifter itself. Bleh.

Now is the time to buy a whole new shifter!

http://protegegarage.com/1675-product-1675.html

Go forth and post updates so I know if I want to buy one. ;)

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Bovine Delight posted:

Now is the time to buy a whole new shifter!

http://protegegarage.com/1675-product-1675.html

Go forth and post updates so I know if I want to buy one. ;)

Nah I'm still under warranty, and I'm really happy with the short shift plate already.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

On the way to the dealer things got....a little worse:

Now I'm rocking a Hyundai Accent while they wait for my new shifter to arrive.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

They didn't question or hassle you about the SSP?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Guess who's getting a new turbo? :dance:

The car's really getting a lot of attention lately... I have a set of Kumho SPT's on the way to my local Discount Tire as well, and I'll be hardwiring a Valentine 1 when it gets here.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

SynMoo posted:

They didn't question or hassle you about the SSP?

Took it back to stock to be safe, but its not like it could have caused the issue.

Battle Cattle
Aug 13, 2003

MOO.
loving Mazda.

Bulletin 01-001/11 is:

quote:

This bulletin supersedes the previous bulletin 01-004/10 issued on 01/07/10, 02/17/10 and 08/18/10. The DESCRIPTION, INSPECTION PROCEDURE, PART(S) INFORMATION and WARRANTY INFORMATION have been revised.

Changes are noted below in Red beside the changes bar.

For 2006-2007 Mazdaspeed6 or 2007-2009 Mazdaspeed3 vehicles with this concern, refer to TSB 01-001/11 ("WHITE OR BLUE SMOKE FROM TAIL PIPE AFTER LONG IDLE PERIOD").

This is new, because it used to be 2007-2008 MS3s!

I post this becuase my 2009 just got a new turbo at 33,5xxx miles. This followed a PCV change a month ago.

Also, the smell from the new turbo is absolutely awful, its like a pile of burning clutches.

Battle Cattle fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 17, 2011

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Battle Cattle posted:

Also, the smell from the new turbo is absolutely awful, its like a pile of burning clutches.

I remember my Speed having that smell when it was new for the first few days.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My speed3 is approaching 40k and I haven't seen any of these turbo issues (I think). What should I be looking for?

Black Is Black
Jan 6, 2007

Wooo, ordered some stuff from CP-E.com: an intake, inlet pipe and rear motor mount!

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Black Is Black posted:

Wooo, ordered some stuff from CP-E.com: an intake, inlet pipe and rear motor mount!

Are they for a first or second gen MS3?

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Anyone know the torque specs for the various RMM bolts off the top of their head?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Bovine Delight posted:

My speed3 is approaching 40k and I haven't seen any of these turbo issues (I think). What should I be looking for?

Massive clouds of blue/white smoke at idle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

SynMoo posted:

Anyone know the torque specs for the various RMM bolts off the top of their head?

Service manual specs:
A type bolt: 72.6-90.9 N.m (53.6-67.0 ft.lbs)
B type bolt: 93.1-116.6 N.m (68.7-85.9 ft.lbs)

e:
http://i.imgur.com/4A68m.png

air- fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 17, 2011