Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004
Does anyone have an opinion on the Mitsubishi HC3800? I have it narrowed down to that and the Epson 8100. This would be my first projector, floor mounted, and I have room for up to about 140" screen but I would probably only do about 100-120" at most.

Alternatively, is there something better than those two for somewhere around 1200 USD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxx
May 5, 2005
Used Optoma HD72 for $400. Good idea or great idea? I need a projector to toss up slideshows during weddings.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
I'll get you next time Gadget - next time!
I'm looking for a 720p projector for use in a nightclub to play music videos. My budget is $400-$600. I do not need a screen. What are my options?

edit: It doesn't necessarily need to have amazing picture quality or anything. I would definitely say visibility/brightness is the most important feature I'm looking for.

Doctor Claw fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Aug 26, 2010

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I don't know if this belongs here but it kind of relates.

After 2265 hours, my Mitsubishi HC1500 needs a new bulb. It is rated for up to 3000 but I assume that rating is based on the low output mode.

I must say this projector has been rock solid for me. Never a problem and the picture quality, while only 720p, is really drat good even with a nearly dead bulb.

If you can pick one up cheap used, I wouldn't hesitate if it fits your needs. Probably the best $500 I've ever spent.

Benf199105
Apr 10, 2010
Hey guys,

i'd like some reccommendations.

I'm moving into my Uni/College House in October, and there's a distinct lack of room for my TV, Computer Tower, Screen, Keyboards and such on the desk space, and i was looking into getting a projector. My budget would be like £350 so like $530? I'm not sure of the exact stuff.

I want to be able to:
-run my PC,
-Xbox 360
-TV

through the projector, but i'm probably asking for too much given my budget? HD would be pretty nice aswell, i really don't know. I just want to be able to throw it up onto my wall, play some games and watch tv from my bed aswell as just for ease of not having to take all my screens up there.

Thanks in advance.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Benf199105 posted:

Hey guys,

i'd like some reccommendations.

Your budget is just a little bit low, but if you can stretch it, Optoma has a nice projector for you.

How did you intend to get sound? Projector only gives you the picture. If you're low on money a 28" or 32" TV is more likely to satisfy your needs.

Moonbloodsflow
Sep 5, 2002
"Hey baby, let's see some of that axe wound"
Is there anything else within the price range of the HD66 that is worth considering? I don't need 1080p or anything, just looking for a decent budget 720p projector. Mainly concerned with cost/benefit ratio like everyone else.

Benf199105
Apr 10, 2010

Hob_Gadling posted:

Your budget is just a little bit low, but if you can stretch it, Optoma has a nice projector for you.

How did you intend to get sound? Projector only gives you the picture. If you're low on money a 28" or 32" TV is more likely to satisfy your needs.

I've got a Logitech X540 surround sound speaker system.

Seems like theres' bulb issues with the Optama though, i really don't want a TV to be honest, i've got a 24" and a 32" but i was just looking into a projector for the room saving aspect and being able to use the space i would normally use for a tv for something else.

I guess my budget is still too low. Thanks anyway though Hob

wnatw
Jan 28, 2008
I've moved into a new place with a vaulted ceilings and a huge wall ideal for a projector. The person who is moving out is also taking her projector, a NEC LT158.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/NEC-LT158.htm

All we need is a replacement at or above the quality of the old one -- using it for movies via computer and PS2. We will mainly be using it at night, so combating the ambient light (and there is a lot) won't be our biggest concern.

We're trying to keep it as cheap as possible, and I was considering a ViewSonic PJL7211.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116432

All of the specs seem to be higher than what we're replacing, but I get the impression from scanning this thread that a $400 projector is scraping the bottom of the barrel. Can someone recommend anything better for a similar (+/- $75) price, or will this one be ok?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So my trusty Benq 6100 may have finally poo poo the bed and I am looking at alternatives while I figure out if it's worth trying to fix. Debating between the Optoma HD20 (1080p) and HD66 (720p). Originally, the fact that it is only $300 more for the 1080p made me lean toward the HD20, but looking at the lumens the HD66 seems a lot brighter. My living room does not have total lightning control, which is something I am working on, but I was wondering if anyone had any opinions one way or another. They are lumen counts from the same company, so they should be relatively accurate, right? Also, I currently have to use a bit of keystoning on my Benq to get the image to look right. Is that a big no-no? If so, how do I solve that problem? Lens shifting? Lowering the projector is not really an option as it would be right at the back of the couch, being easily blocked.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 1, 2010

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Any thoughts on this Sony SXRD Projector, the SONY Bravia VPLHW15 HD1080P 1000 ANSI Lumens Home Theater SXRD Projector?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824006182

My primary use would be gaming, secondary is movies, TV and or computing. One older video review of the projector on Youtube indicated the projector may have problems with fast scenes, but it was an older review for the HW10 model.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007
I'm thinking about buying the epson 8350: http://www.electrozone.com/product.aspx?pf_id=V11H373120

Due to the shape of my ceilings I have to mount it on the back wall, with about an 18 foot throw and maybe off to the side, so the zoom and lens shift is a requirement. This guy seems to have good picture quality and brightness to boot (going by reviews). It'll be used for tv, movies, sports, games in a room with mediocre light control. Is there anything else in this price range that I should be considering?

Also, has anyone ever used electrozone before? Going by reseller ratings they seem like one of those scam camera stores that tack on outrageous accesorries in order to ship, except these guys will eventually give up and ship it to you for the listed price. I guess I could put up with the hassle to save a 100 bucks.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007
quote is not edit

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
https://clevelandplasma.com/store/projectors/epson/epson_hc_8350

or buy it for cheaper from an actual authorized dealer.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007
Ok, well it went up 80 bucks on electrozone so I guess that makes the decision for me. Are projectors actually cheaper in B&M stores? I assumed that like almost all other electronics you could do better online.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Doodarazumas posted:

Ok, well it went up 80 bucks on electrozone so I guess that makes the decision for me. Are projectors actually cheaper in B&M stores? I assumed that like almost all other electronics you could do better online.

I got the 8350 from hhgregg about 2 weeks after it came out for 1100 but I had to haggle and paid in cash.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I'm trying to find something affordable on ebay and so far I have to choose between a Hitachi CP-SX1350 HD and a DELL S300W or a Dell 1610. The SX1350 has a super cool resolution but no 3D. Is 3D cool at all? Is there anything I should really know about projectors before buying something with a thousand hours already used? Will, a PS3 1080p input get downsized to 720 or 1050 with the SX1350?

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Or you could save a few extra pennies and get something that's actually good for a thousand bucks instead of a used piece of garbage that isn't built for what you're trying to do. The Optoma HD20 can be had for under a grand ($879 at Amazon) and is actually 1080p.

Alternately projectorpeople has a factory refurbished Epson Home Cinema 6100 for $899 with a fresh lamp, free shipping, and a full warranty. 1080p, 2:1 zoom, full H/V lens shift.

Don't bother with 3D, it's a waste of time.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.
My family asked me to look at setting up a projector in their basement to replace their aging 60" RPTV that's about 10 years old.

The wall where the screen will be could hold a maximum of 165" diagonal screen, however, the maximum distance from projector to the screen is 12' 2" not including the length of the projector itself.

The seats are also 12' 2" to 15' away (with one seat at 6'-7').

The projector would need to be ceiling mounted directly above the viewer's heads at around the 12' distance, as there is an i-beam there and the projector would be mounted in front of it.

They ideally would be doing a DIY screen, like getting a piece of drywall and just painting it.

I'm familiar with the calculator on projector central, and because the projector would basically only be used for sports, I wager DLP is a better choice over LCD.

I was looking at the Optoma HD20 as it fits their price range (~$1000). I looked at the Epson 8350, but it was LCD. However, I'm concerned about the lack of lens shift in lining everything up with the Optoma.

The Optoma on the calculator gives a screen size of 94". Is there another projector in that price range that would give a larger screen size with comparable image quality for the same price? Is 94" good for that seating distance, or should I be looking at finding a projector that allows a much larger screen size at that throw distance?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Uziel posted:

My family asked me to look at setting up a projector in their basement to replace their aging 60" RPTV that's about 10 years old.

The wall where the screen will be could hold a maximum of 165" diagonal screen, however, the maximum distance from projector to the screen is 12' 2" not including the length of the projector itself.

The seats are also 12' 2" to 15' away (with one seat at 6'-7').

The projector would need to be ceiling mounted directly above the viewer's heads at around the 12' distance, as there is an i-beam there and the projector would be mounted in front of it.

They ideally would be doing a DIY screen, like getting a piece of drywall and just painting it.

I'm familiar with the calculator on projector central, and because the projector would basically only be used for sports, I wager DLP is a better choice over LCD.

I was looking at the Optoma HD20 as it fits their price range (~$1000). I looked at the Epson 8350, but it was LCD. However, I'm concerned about the lack of lens shift in lining everything up with the Optoma.

The Optoma on the calculator gives a screen size of 94". Is there another projector in that price range that would give a larger screen size with comparable image quality for the same price? Is 94" good for that seating distance, or should I be looking at finding a projector that allows a much larger screen size at that throw distance?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

94" would be about perfect for that seating distance. 96" is a more standard size screen so that would probably be an ideal size if you ended up buying a pre-fabbed screen. Obviously, it wouldn't matter if you made your own.

I can't really give a good recommendation on a projector since I am not up on the latest and greatest.

Jayls5
Mar 5, 2007

by angerbeet

King Hotpants posted:

Or you could save a few extra pennies and get something that's actually good for a thousand bucks instead of a used piece of garbage that isn't built for what you're trying to do. The Optoma HD20 can be had for under a grand ($879 at Amazon) and is actually 1080p.

Alternately projectorpeople has a factory refurbished Epson Home Cinema 6100 for $899 with a fresh lamp, free shipping, and a full warranty. 1080p, 2:1 zoom, full H/V lens shift.

Don't bother with 3D, it's a waste of time.

I don't understand why people give a poo poo about 1080p on the screen size they are doing. I'm basically pushing the limit of 720p at 180" (~14 foot) screen, and you still can't even see the pixels until you concentrate on them at less than 5 feet away. Especially considering most providers are only broadcasting in 720p anyway, I fail to see the need to pay for the poo poo you don't actually experience.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

Jayls5 posted:

I don't understand why people give a poo poo about 1080p on the screen size they are doing. I'm basically pushing the limit of 720p at 180" (~14 foot) screen, and you still can't even see the pixels until you concentrate on them at less than 5 feet away. Especially considering most providers are only broadcasting in 720p anyway, I fail to see the need to pay for the poo poo you don't actually experience.

That argument makes sense on a 42 inch screen, but just because you can't count pixels doesn't mean the picture can't be noticeably sharper. All other things being equal, if you're sitting 15 feet away from a screen as big as yours, you'll be able to notice the difference between 720, 1080, and even 1440. Hell if you scoot up a few feet you can get the full benefit of 4k resolutions.

edit: source with charts n stuff http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Any word on projectors that refresh at 120hz? Seems like a desirable feature if only to be able to show movies without telecine judder.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

The 8350 does 2:2 pulldown on 24hz material, so it displays them at 48hz. Nice and smooth playback.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Farmer Crack-rear end: You're looking for something with frame interpolation/frame creation/whatever they're calling it. Lots of manufacturers are doing it but Epson and Panasonic have the best-looking systems. Newer is better, so you want either a Panasonic AE4000 or an Epson 8700 UB. Both are around two grand.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Here's a vote for the Panasonic. We recently upgraded from a Sanyo Z4 to a Panasonic AE4000 and could not be happier. I never imagined the difference in brightness and picture quality would be this noticable.

Jayls5
Mar 5, 2007

by angerbeet

Doodarazumas posted:

That argument makes sense on a 42 inch screen, but just because you can't count pixels doesn't mean the picture can't be noticeably sharper. All other things being equal, if you're sitting 15 feet away from a screen as big as yours, you'll be able to notice the difference between 720, 1080, and even 1440. Hell if you scoot up a few feet you can get the full benefit of 4k resolutions.

edit: source with charts n stuff http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter

I've seen the charts before. I didn't say you can't notice it. I was just saying it's not a big difference on smaller screen sizes. That website even admits resolution is 4th on the order of importance. Most importantly, there's actually zero difference with cable providers that generally only do 720p.

If you want to pay for the best then go for it. Just realize the cost/benefit and how resolution really improves the picture in the scheme of things.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
People who watch Blu-ray instead of television see a definite and tangible benefit from 1080p. People who use their projectors for games get the same if their computer can handle 1080p output. It seems silly to chastise people for buying 1080p just because you're happy with 720p. Especially since they're not making a whole lot of 720p home theater projectors anymore and 1080p now costs less than a thousand bucks.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
Hey King Hotpaints (or really, anybody else who wants to chime in) If you had to pick something from this list, what would you go for a home theater (and I use this term loosely), room is dark with little to no natural light and primary use would be watching recorded TV shows and movies, nothing major and not my primary screen.

http://electronics.shop.ebay.com/DV...14.l1513&_pgn=1

I'm thinking either the SP5000,4800 or maybe the Dell 4800MP but my direction is to go towards the Infocus, is this right?

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike

King Hotpants posted:

People who watch Blu-ray instead of television see a definite and tangible benefit from 1080p. People who use their projectors for games get the same if their computer can handle 1080p output. It seems silly to chastise people for buying 1080p just because you're happy with 720p. Especially since they're not making a whole lot of 720p home theater projectors anymore and 1080p now costs less than a thousand bucks.

I'll repeat what he has said:

If you plan to hook your computer up to your projector to watch movies and play games, you need 1080p. 720 works OK, but the resolution you get with 1080 is so worth it. Everything looks leaps and bounds sharper and text is way easier to read, not to mention desktop real estate if you use your computer to surf the web or preform a task.

As for the guy who was looking for the 8350, its the best projector for $1000 I have ever seen. It rocks the socks off anything else at this price point.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Moonbloodsflow posted:

Is there anything else within the price range of the HD66 that is worth considering? I don't need 1080p or anything, just looking for a decent budget 720p projector. Mainly concerned with cost/benefit ratio like everyone else.

Echoing this question. I could get a used HD1500 for a little cheaper, but would that make any sense?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Zas posted:

Echoing this question. I could get a used HD1500 for a little cheaper, but would that make any sense?

I would no longer suggest the HC1500. Mine has developed color wheel whine and after doing some investigation, the problem is rampant.

Seems to pop up after 1500 hours or so. Really unfortunate.

Jayls5
Mar 5, 2007

by angerbeet

King Hotpants posted:

With all due respect, you're not acknowledging what I have said.

I didn't say you can't see a difference between 720p and 1080p. I described my 1280x800 projector's level of detail with a 15.5 foot screen. Me saying when pixels became visible was just to give people a frame of reference on large screen detail. I'd certainly take 1080p at my screen size because I would probably see a bigger benefit than most, but I am temporarily satisfied with what I have given its use. I'll try to show the limits of detail it has in a video (I was going to show a new cheap modification for DIY people anyway).

Where I said you do not (ever) see a difference is cable television, and I have encountered many people brag about the 1080p picture as they're watching cable at 720p. That, and they're usually doing it from 13-15 feet away anyway. Kind of pointless. The whole 1080p vs 720p point I brought up was specifically about smaller screens. I was clear about this, and I'm aware of situations where 1080p can be useful.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I need to buy two projectors for my office with similar specs to this one and I have a budget of $600-700.

Can anyone rattle off a few that I should look at? I'm restricted to what I can find on CDW but I intend to host some late night game sessions here.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I'm looking at getting a Optoma HD 66 for home gaming. Any advice? What's the best receiver?

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
Anyone know of any projectors with DisplayPort? I looked around a few of the usual suspects like Newegg and Dell,and I finally asked in the SHSC monitors thread with a bunch of people saying that they basically don't exist. I need one for my office where a bunch of higher ups have moved to Macs and seem to have weird issues with our existing projector over DVI or VGA with those dongles they have to use. It blows me away that with HP, Dell, etc are all moving to DisplayPort on their corporate laptops yet can't sell me a DisplayPort projector to go with them.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Any suggestions on mounts for drop-tile/suspended ceilings?

I've been using the cheap universal mounts from Monoprice with good results so far, but for suspended ceilings I'm only finding complicated and expensive stuff like this: http://www.projectorpeople.com/accessories/projector-mount-kits.asp

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I recently got the Optoma GT 700 short throw projector. Pretty much the same as the HD 66 but a different lens for a short throw.

It owns

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Is 11-13 feet far enough away for an 100" screen? On that note, what's the best 100" screen for $100-$300? I'm trying to maximize gain and quality on my 8700UB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
Has anyone tried gaming on a wobulated DLP? What's it like? Is it very noticeable?

• Locked thread