Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I played Undead Nightmare again to just mess around and explore and stuff, ended up finding pestilence, tamed him, then got back on Death and accidentally fell into the water at Thieves Landing. Whistled for my horse when I respawned, pestilence showed up and then I got sick of having him and shot him in the head. Whistled again hoping Death would show up since I never hitched Pestilence, then some default horse showed up and I turned off the game in rage.

I lost my Death horse :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

I played Undead Nightmare again to just mess around and explore and stuff, ended up finding pestilence, tamed him, then got back on Death and accidentally fell into the water at Thieves Landing. Whistled for my horse when I respawned, pestilence showed up and then I got sick of having him and shot him in the head. Whistled again hoping Death would show up since I never hitched Pestilence, then some default horse showed up and I turned off the game in rage.

Don't you automatically get a blood pact with Death once you tame/receive him? It should be in your consumables inventory.

I'm considering playing through this game again (it being the third time) but powering through the story missions as fast as I can, then doing all the stranger missions/sidequests post-game in the US Marshal outfit. Has anyone done that yet?

Bloodcider fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 9, 2011

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

blackguy32 posted:

Go tame the unicorn and you can get the Blood Pact so you can switch between all 4 horses whenever you want.

Also I really wish there was a way to unlock the UN horses in default RDR. I would kill to play through the whole campaign riding War.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Finally beat the game, only two observations:

With all the missions over, I am really glad I won't have to listen to Marston's hoarse yell every time he's talking to someone on horseback. Whoever did his voice probably put himself in the hospital with the horseback scenes, blew his larynx out or something.

"My people have been oppressed for a very long time, Senior Marston."
"BE CAREFUL YOU DON'T BECOME WHAT YOU HATE"
"Why are you shouting, we're right next to each other."
"UGH, WHAT'VE YOU BEEN EATIN'?"

Second, I hope the Marston's didn't pay much for their land at Beecher's Hope, because the place is absolutely infested with wolves and cougars. It's a terrible place to raise a child. Killed loving eleven wolves there last night in a 30 second stretch; I thought they were cattle at first, there were so many. By the time I'd managed to skin them all I'd killed another half dozen wolves who came around; it literally took me ten minutes just to make it 100 feet to the front door because every time I'd skin one, another would show up. Cougars are nearly as bad; I don't even have to get off my horse, I just shoot a cougar then wait for another to show up.

Sco Dylan posted:

You don't go to DLC in the menu, you just choose Single Player and it gives you the option to start UN.
My problem was I'd choose UN from the main menu, then that would take me to a page where I'd have the option to download content; it would never tell me "you never finished downloading this," it would just say "you already have this, would you like to download again?" Last night I finally hit "download again," and that's when it continued from 53% or wherever it was. Now it's working fine. I've only just barely started it, but I hope it lets me play the whole game with Marston in his long johns.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

jackpot posted:

Second, I hope the Marston's didn't pay much for their land at Beecher's Hope, because the place is absolutely infested with wolves and cougars. It's a terrible place to raise a child. Killed loving eleven wolves there last night in a 30 second stretch; I thought they were cattle at first, there were so many. By the time I'd managed to skin them all I'd killed another half dozen wolves who came around; it literally took me ten minutes just to make it 100 feet to the front door because every time I'd skin one, another would show up. Cougars are nearly as bad; I don't even have to get off my horse, I just shoot a cougar then wait for another to show up.

I once walked out after saving, and had a river of wolves who were all totally oblivious to my presence spawning 10 feet away from the back door. I just started massacring and skinning them. It on like this for a good 5 minutes before they stopped spawning. I made something like $3000 from all the wolf pelts and such.

TheRealGunde
Aug 13, 2007

jackpot posted:

I never saw even one wolf or cougar near the farm

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

TheRealGunde posted:

I never saw even one wolf or cougar near the farm

Really? Last night while playing I saw a group of wolves just outside the entrance to the farm. Cougars not so much, I had to go a bit further out to find them. (But holy poo poo, did one ever freak me out when it attacked me while I was walking towards a boar I had killed.)

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

TheJoker138 posted:

I once walked out after saving, and had a river of wolves who were all totally oblivious to my presence spawning 10 feet away from the back door. I just started massacring and skinning them. It on like this for a good 5 minutes before they stopped spawning.
Yeah, I'm tempted to call mine a glitch, although it didn't last as long as yours. They acted like I wasn't even there; didn't run away, didn't attack. Just milled around like cattle.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

jackpot posted:

Yeah, I'm tempted to call mine a glitch, although it didn't last as long as yours. They acted like I wasn't even there; didn't run away, didn't attack. Just milled around like cattle.

It's because you're in a civilized area. It's what stops bears and cougars from walking into Manzanita Post and killing everything that moves.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

fennesz posted:

It's because you're in a civilized area. It's what stops bears and cougars from walking into Manzanita Post and killing everything that moves.
Is there a cheat to turn that "limit" off? I would LOVE to see that.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

betterinsodapop posted:

I'm not sure. I've only done the first of the Social Club challenges, there might be a cheat you unlock by completing one.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

jackpot posted:

Oh yeah, I've seen this plenty of times. Wolf spawns are just swarming with the motherfuckers, and the more you kill the more that come back into the world. I've dealt with some in Rio Bravo and Gaptooth that took about twenty minutes to clear. Hell of a way to make a living. Bad thing is, usually you come around some cougars after wiping the wolves out from the blood alone.

Influenza
Nov 28, 2000

It's angry at the room. It wants the room to suffer.

fennesz posted:

I've actually seen a bear wander into the camp at Manzanita and start mauling people. The chaos was beautiful.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Oh yeah, I've seen this plenty of times. Wolf spawns are just swarming with the motherfuckers, and the more you kill the more that come back into the world. I've dealt with some in Rio Bravo and Gaptooth that took about twenty minutes to clear. Hell of a way to make a living. Bad thing is, usually you come around some cougars after wiping the wolves out from the blood alone.

I had the same thing, I think it was in Rio Bravo, if that's where the 3 way crossroad is... Been a while since I played, but I definitely remember that. Just sitting on my horse, and taking them out at a distance in a big group, skinning some, then running a short distance away when i heard more coming to have a look. Did it for about 20 minutes till I got bored, and took my spoils to the merchant :3

Really must fire it up again.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

jackpot posted:

With all the missions over, I am really glad I won't have to listen to Marston's hoarse yell every time he's talking to someone on horseback. Whoever did his voice probably put himself in the hospital with the horseback scenes, blew his larynx out or something.

I actually really appreciate that they do this, so many games will have characters, say, on an open helicopter talking to each-other in their indoor voices. You ever been on a helicopter? They're noisy as gently caress. Of course he would have to yell to be heard over the sound of the horses galloping.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Speaking of conversations on horseback, why is it that a lot of the conversations are too long for the journeys they take place on? It's one thing if you're leading the way and you ride too fast for the conversation to play out, but there are a bunch of them that get cut off even when you're the one following the NPC.

misplaced axon
Sep 23, 2009

Seymour Buttz posted:

Speaking of conversations on horseback, why is it that a lot of the conversations are too long for the journeys they take place on? It's one thing if you're leading the way and you ride too fast for the conversation to play out, but there are a bunch of them that get cut off even when you're the one following the NPC.

There's a lot of extra filler, I think, so exactly the same conversation doesn't repeat word for word if you die or fail the mission somehow.

Poker in this game is buggy. When I've got 2 kings OR a flush, I want the flush! That was an expensive mistake.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

misplaced axon posted:

There's a lot of extra filler, I think, so exactly the same conversation doesn't repeat word for word if you die or fail the mission somehow.

Poker in this game is buggy. When I've got 2 kings OR a flush, I want the flush! That was an expensive mistake.

No, if you die or have to repeat the mission, I think you get completely different alternate dialogue, just like GTA4.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

betterinsodapop posted:

I remember reading that it's possible to get a bear to chase you into Blackwater, and then stand back and enjoy the carnage.

I got distracted by New Vegas and haven't actually attempted it though.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

I'm gonna get a bunch of wolves to follow me, then lead them to the bears.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Question on PVP- does anyone else find the sawed-off shotgun incredibly useless? Every time I fire off two round point black it leaves the other guy damaged (but alive), and me with no ammo. :mad:

melon cat fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 12, 2011

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

melon cat posted:

Question on PVP- does anyone else find the sawed-off shotgun incredibly useless? Every time I fire off two round point black it leaves the other guy damaged (but alive), and me with ammo. :mad:

The shotguns in this game are odd. Sometimes they'll kill someone at 50 feet sometimes it'll take several to kill them at 5 feet.

I've been headshotted by a Semi-Auto Shotgun from 100+ feet away, it was incredibly confusing.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
*guy rolls around a corner, comes up and one-shots me with a shotgun with zero time to actually aim*

gently caress that map in the Mexican churchyard.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I picked up Undead Nightmare over the weekend, and I have a question about the horses. I tamed Pestilence and I'm loving him so far. He apparently can't die, and never gets tired (at least I haven't managed to tired him yet). Is that true of all the mythical horses in this game, or do they all have different special attributes?

Also, this game became quite a bit easier once I stopped worrying about ammo and start torching everyone. That is a lot of drat fun.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

I picked up Undead Nightmare over the weekend, and I have a question about the horses. I tamed Pestilence and I'm loving him so far. He apparently can't die, and never gets tired (at least I haven't managed to tired him yet). Is that true of all the mythical horses in this game, or do they all have different special attributes?

Also, this game became quite a bit easier once I stopped worrying about ammo and start torching everyone. That is a lot of drat fun.

None of them ever get tired, but they have different other abilities. War sets people on fire, and Death makes zombie heads explode.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

TheJoker138 posted:

None of them ever get tired, but they have different other abilities. War sets people on fire, and Death makes zombie heads explode.

You just gave me incentive to search the entire map to look for these horses.

Do they always show up in the same place, and do they only show up at given times of the game? Or is it more random than that?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

You just gave me incentive to search the entire map to look for these horses.

Do they always show up in the same place, and do they only show up at given times of the game? Or is it more random than that?

Pestilence, Famine, and War show up in preset locations, and are always there. Death will either randomly spawn, or you will get him after you beat the story.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

TheJoker138 posted:

Pestilence, Famine, and War show up in preset locations, and are always there. Death will either randomly spawn, or you will get him after you beat the story.

Awesome. Thanks for the info.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

What do Pestilence and.. uh... The other one? (Famine? Or is that another name for Pestilence?) do?

Edit: Turns out it is Famine.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Sir Spaniard posted:

What do Pestilence and.. uh... The other one? (Famine? Or is that another name for Pestilence?) do?

Edit: Turns out it is Famine.

Pestilence has an abnormally large amount of health, so he effectively can't be killed. According to something I just looked up, Famine has unlimited stamina, but I thought all horses had that, so he doesn't seem too special.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Pestilence has an abnormally large amount of health, so he effectively can't be killed. According to something I just looked up, Famine has unlimited stamina, but I thought all horses had that, so he doesn't seem too special.

Yeah, Famine and Pestilence really don't do much except look pretty. A pretty big flaw for a neat idea. For everything they do, they might as well just make zombies' heads explode in different ways.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

At Plainview, I head-shot three guys in a row at the top of the mountain with the rolling block rifle while hiding behind a bush.

Then a cougar suddenly appeared and took me down.

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

I've found and accidentally killed both War and Pestilence. Is there any way to find either of them again before getting Famine and Death?

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Motherfucker. I just played through An Appointed Time (What I assume is the last Mexico mission, where you finally go after Williamson and Allende, and the game glitched up at what I can only assume is the very end of the mission, and I want to make sure that I didn't do something wrong and that I avoid this when I play through the mission again tomorrow.

At the end, when Allende gives Williamson to you, I let the conversation between him and John play out before firing. A split second before I shot Williamson, Reyes shot Allende, and the subtitles showed that Williamson was starting to say something like, "Wait....I...I give up". Should I try shooting Williamson during the conversation?

War Pig
Nov 14, 2007

Civilization is crumbling.

Behonkiss posted:

Motherfucker. I just played through An Appointed Time (What I assume is the last Mexico mission, where you finally go after Williamson and Allende, and the game glitched up at what I can only assume is the very end of the mission, and I want to make sure that I didn't do something wrong and that I avoid this when I play through the mission again tomorrow.

At the end, when Allende gives Williamson to you, I let the conversation between him and John play out before firing. A split second before I shot Williamson, Reyes shot Allende, and the subtitles showed that Williamson was starting to say something like, "Wait....I...I give up". Should I try shooting Williamson during the conversation?

Pretty sure that even if he says that, he ends up pulling the gun on you anyway. If you do not kill him, Reyes does. He dies no matter what if I recall correctly.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I had that mission glitch up twice in the exact spot you describe. The first time I reset the console, the second I just let it sit there and after a minute or two, it continued like normal.

Austin72
Apr 3, 2010

Populon posted:

I've found and accidentally killed both War and Pestilence. Is there any way to find either of them again before getting Famine and Death?

I'm pretty sure you can find them again before taming the others.

Speaking of mythical creatures, its pretty hilarious when I found out I murdered every single sasquatch. The Undead Nightmare DLC is pretty awesome.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
How do I turn off the "auto-mark" ability by just moving my cross-hair over guys in Dead Eye, it's pissing me off and continually causes me to kill people I'm not trying to.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Mr. Crow posted:

How do I turn off the "auto-mark" ability by just moving my cross-hair over guys in Dead Eye, it's pissing me off and continually causes me to kill people I'm not trying to.
It turns off when you level it up during a story mission (I forgot which one, but I think it was one of the early Mexico ones).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Obeast posted:

It turns off when you level it up during a story mission (I forgot which one, but I think it was one of the early Mexico ones).

"Landon Ricketts rides again" If I'm not mistaken.

• Locked thread