Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
My earlier search for DJWhoquestion albums took me to this site:
http://www.whatthemashup.com/
which is a bit new/incomplete perhaps, but has a rather nice list of artists that fit this thread:
http://www.whatthemashup.com/artists/

So far I've been checking out this album because he was on their recommended list:
DJ Bahler - High Bias
http://www.whatthemashup.com/albums/high-bias/

And I've been really enjoying it so far too. There are a lot of samples where I'm like "drat how haven't I heard this sampled before" and with how much material from this thread I've listened to that doesn't happen much anymore. It does have many of the usual samples, but the number of new-to-me ones makes up for it.

I look forward to the rest of the material by this DJ Bahler and continuing to go through that list and seeing what else I find. If anyone else starts exploring from here, please share your likes/dislikes with us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
The Hood Internet released their Volume Five mixtape this morning

http://www.thehoodinternet.com/2011/02/mixtape-volume-five.html

Haven't listened yet but THI are my favorite mashup guys so I'm sure it's great

check
Jan 23, 2006

Papyrus Domination to the FACE!

I kind of assumed ya'll knew about this site but I've downloaded and listened to every album on there (except the most recent 2!) so I'll just throw out some quick recommendations based on plays on iTunes:

I omitted most of the artists I've seen mentioned in this thread before (BEARBOT, E-603, Girl Talk, Super Mash Bros., The Hood Internet, Milkman, The White Panda) if you haven't heard any of their stuff get on it!

DJ Fergie Ferg is great, specifically Get Ferg'd Up and Masharoni and Cheese which are both excellent multi-track mixtapes. Electro Eel is also good but its mainly A vs B mashups.
DanielBloodyBerube Danthems
Deskhop Variations on the Sensible Manifold
Disco64 The First Estate
DJ Bahler Mashin' Pit and Henke Panky
DJ Car Stereo (Wars) The Bandit and Explains it All
DJ E-fect Factor Theorem
DJ i6 The SIXtape
DJ JewBoy has 7 mixtapes on there and he's pretty good in general but my favourites are Digital Grammar and Keepin' It Is-Real, Vol. 2
DJ Zamrock For One Oh
EASTER EGG Club Brooks X East Infection (Block Party Promo)
LJC LCJ
P-10 Mashup MIXtape Pt.4: The Grand Finale
Speaky Greatest Spits
The MashMaticians The MashoChist is mostly A vs B mashups with a more electronic feel but I dug it.
The Stereo Bomb Now Hear This
Top Flight The Print Shop
A Vandal's Lie The Thrillogy
5 & a Dime The Other White Meat

I only listed a few of the ones I've played the most but honestly though if you really like mash-ups I'd recommend just going through and listening to everything- most of the albums on there are good for a least a single listen or two if for nothing other than random samples and mixes you haven't heard before (eg. The theme for the 90s TV show The Rugrats has been sampled 2 separate times... see if you can find them!)

check fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 7, 2011

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Welp, now I've got a hitlist to go through. I guess it's Fergie Ferg next. Thanks :)

lowphat_strawberry
Jul 31, 2009

Nukelear Mice posted:

EASTER EGG Club Brooks X East Infection (Block Party Promo)

If you like this I'd also recommended Jackin' for Beats. It's a really good multi track album and there are a few ridiculous mixes peppered here and there.

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich
:tviv::tviv::tviv::tviv::tviv::tviv::tviv::tviv:
I've got the opportunity to interview Girl Talk at the end of this month for a local college paper. If you could ask Girl Talk one question, what would it be? If it's a good one I'll be sure to include it.

It's possible that I'll be videotaping this interview, so in that case I'll be sure to upload it & post it here if that does happen.

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

What do you think of all your imitators?

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Chwoka posted:

What do you think of all your imitators?

I actually had planned on asking this question, was just trying to figure out how I was going to word it. I think this works pretty well for the wording.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You should find every other interview he has done and then construct all your questions from the words and phrases of his previous interviewers.

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

RandomCheese posted:

You should find every other interview he has done and then construct all your questions from the words and phrases of his previous interviewers.

Right, because asking the same questions he's already answered a million times isn't super redundant or anything...

e: it literally took me a minute to get this joke. Good show 'ol chap.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

YET ANOTHER FAG posted:

Right, because asking the same questions he's already answered a million times isn't super redundant or anything...

e: it literally took me a minute to get this joke. Good show 'ol chap.
It actually would be awesome if you were able to piece together some questions from other peoples' questions.

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich
I can't imagine it'd be too difficult, though at the same time I'm trying to ask questions that I don't already know the answer to.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

YET ANOTHER FAG posted:

I actually had planned on asking this question, was just trying to figure out how I was going to word it. I think this works pretty well for the wording.

you should somehow relate this to why all mashup artists seem to use similar samples. most of us know the answer but i'm curious to see what he would say.

Breaux
Sep 18, 2010

Peace Pound
Nashville goon reporting in.

Have you guys heard "The Brothers of Chico Dusty" yet? It is a mashup of Sir Lucious Leftfoot, the new release from Big Boi of Outkast and the Black Keys. It's pretty fantastic.

http://mashville.bandcamp.com/album/the-brothers-of-chico-dusty

SassyCommander
Apr 23, 2009
Ask GT who is his favorite mashup artist?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Just start asking him a random question and then without warning put him in a headlock and pour beer on his head while singing Elton John lyrics.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

YET ANOTHER FAG posted:

I've got the opportunity to interview Girl Talk at the end of this month for a local college paper. If you could ask Girl Talk one question, what would it be? If it's a good one I'll be sure to include it.

It's possible that I'll be videotaping this interview, so in that case I'll be sure to upload it & post it here if that does happen.

Is it a college phoner? That means you'll be with a bunch of other callers, too. In that case, make sure your question is multi-faceted enough that Greg has a lot of different things to talk about.

I want to know if he has a certain sample he likes but can't find a way to use. Like I imagine the solo in Hotel California is kind of impossible to mix with anything (except maybe Twista).

Also what his favorite mix he's ever done so far is. I think it's probably Biggie/Elton but we'll see.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Butter him up with Steelers questions. But really, he's really easy to talk to , don't geek out.

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

BackInTheUSSR posted:

Is it a college phoner? That means you'll be with a bunch of other callers, too. In that case, make sure your question is multi-faceted enough that Greg has a lot of different things to talk about.

I want to know if he has a certain sample he likes but can't find a way to use. Like I imagine the solo in Hotel California is kind of impossible to mix with anything (except maybe Twista).

Also what his favorite mix he's ever done so far is. I think it's probably Biggie/Elton but we'll see.

It's not going to be a phone-in if it happens. It's going to be either before or after his show when he plays in my city. So far with the help of this thread & a couple friends I think I've got a good number of questions for him. I really am considering compiling all my questions from other interviews, though I'll probably just tell him that's what I did & instead have my own questions.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

nerve posted:

The Hood Internet released their Volume Five mixtape this morning

http://www.thehoodinternet.com/2011/02/mixtape-volume-five.html

Haven't listened yet but THI are my favorite mashup guys so I'm sure it's great

I like this about as much as Volume 3, which was my least favorite. It's not bad, just not as great as 4 I guess

I checked out that DJ Whoquestion linked a while ago and really like it, thanks

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

YET ANOTHER FAG posted:

Ask him if he's ever gone to Burning Man, or if he's going. Either as an individual, or as someone that would perform at one of the big sound camps. Because if he hasn't though about it, he should. It would be incredible.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Yacht Club DJs have a few tracks from Demons of Gymnastics available on their Myspace for a bit, get it while its hot.

http://www.myspace.com/yachtclubdjs

Wish I could find the downloads for their freely handed out albums, everywhere I've looked doesn't have them; and every show I've been too I have too much to drink and forget to grab a hard copy :(

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Haha butthole, following their FB feed too eh? Who are you on there? Hit me up via MSN or something. Aren't you up in Brisbane or something too? We'll grab a drink next show they play this way.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Indeedly dude, I don't post on the FB feed aside from some pics I took at Valley Fiesta a while back. I'll getchyo MSN now.

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

Why do you think other people think Night Ripper is your best album?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Chwoka posted:

Why do you think other people think Night Ripper is your best album?

:3:

Now we know what Chwoka's favorite GT album is.

I cant think of one specific question or how to word this, but I'd be curious to know something about his past career, and his experience switching over from a professional world to.. well.. being motherfucking Girltalk!

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

BrainDance posted:

:3:

Now we know what Chwoka's favorite GT album is.

Well, yes, but I look at reviews of all three albums, by professionals and armchair critics, and overall they're more favorable to Night Ripper if they're favorable to Girl Talk (if they're not, they don't like any of the albums, duh.) Could just be selection bias. Overall I think the quality dip between albums is miniscule, and other people don't see it the same way. The artist has a unique outlook on this phenomenon, having seen the process that brought together all three albums and the differences between them, magnified because he saw it come to form second-by-second, which can add perspective or make you lose the big picture.

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

I, Butthole posted:

Yacht Club DJs have a few tracks from Demons of Gymnastics available on their Myspace for a bit, get it while its hot.

Wish I could find the downloads for their freely handed out albums, everywhere I've looked doesn't have them; and every show I've been too I have too much to drink and forget to grab a hard copy :(

Holy poo poo this is good stuff. Pity it's maxed out on downloads now. I'll certainly have to see them if they come to Melbourne though.

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

My name is Gato/I have metal joints/Beat me up/And earn fifteen silver points!

YET ANOTHER FAG posted:

It's not going to be a phone-in if it happens. It's going to be either before or after his show when he plays in my city. So far with the help of this thread & a couple friends I think I've got a good number of questions for him. I really am considering compiling all my questions from other interviews, though I'll probably just tell him that's what I did & instead have my own questions.

Ask him why he doesn't seem to be doing a physical release of the new album. His profile is only increasing, it doesn't make sense to me for him to not be releasing Cds anymore.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
I'm guessing legal reasons. Probably less of a legal headache by doing this all digital.

Skam
Jan 6, 2008
does anyone know what sort of length set that girl talk normally plays at festivals?

He is playing one near to me in May but not a headliner and was just wondering how long i could expect him to play for.

The Jenk
Apr 18, 2009

I, Butthole posted:

Oh WOW. The Carry On Wayward Son section totally blew my mind.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
It looks like their Facebook page doesn't exist. Might have gotten shut down.

edit- or they just prefer Myspace? Bleh.

Juanito fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 19, 2011

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Juanito posted:

It looks like their Facebook page doesn't exist. Might have gotten shut down.

edit- or they just prefer Myspace? Bleh.

Their FB page.

edit: Changed it as it became what was posted earlier, so idk?

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Feb 21, 2011

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
So that loads for you? I get redirected to home.php.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
I really like each new Girl Talk album better than the last. I like his increasingly poppy samples and I've always liked that he started getting more melodic with Feed the Animals. Night Ripper was just too scatterbrained for me.

Also, I need to point out that Triple Double is the best track he's ever made. Luda + Phoenix, Ice Cube, and Paint it Black + Black and Yellow are all just awesome.

beeps-a-palooza
Jan 2, 2009

by T. Finn
i started off making mashups before I got involved in experimenting with other styles of music. They are really slowed down, and have more of a hip-hop vibe. Feel free to download them:

"Number Three"
http://soundcloud.com/blackasaurus-rex/sets/number-three/

"Number Two"
http://soundcloud.com/blackasaurus-rex/sets/number-two/

"The Blackasaurus Rex EP"
http://soundcloud.com/blackasaurus-rex/sets/ep/

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

The White Panda, an artist who is pretty new to this thread despite having 2 albums released, is coming out with a new album March 1st of this year.

pg2011
Feb 23, 2008

I can see clearly now
The brain is gone...

Ok so this is some plugging but hopefully you guys enjoy it.

About a year ago I started working on my own mashup after listening Hood Internet, Super Mash Bros, ect and deciding I could do that myself. Last month I finally released my album. Everything is mixed together (because stand alone mashups are kind of boring, imo) and I'm really proud of it. It's called One Hour and I released it under the name Bong Quixote.

Download link and sample list: http://same.bemaniso.ws/onehour/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

pg2011 posted:

Ok so this is some plugging but hopefully you guys enjoy it.

About a year ago I started working on my own mashup after listening Hood Internet, Super Mash Bros, ect and deciding I could do that myself. Last month I finally released my album. Everything is mixed together (because stand alone mashups are kind of boring, imo) and I'm really proud of it. It's called One Hour and I released it under the name Bong Quixote.

Download link and sample list: http://same.bemaniso.ws/onehour/

needs more pop'n music, please.