Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dog boyfriend!!
Nov 21, 2008
So I met the lady whose Corgi rescue I'll be volunteering with. Which means I got to see my first real live Corgi.

Thirteen of them at once.

e: imminent death snype :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

my dog boyfriend!!! posted:

So I met the lady whose Corgi rescue I'll be volunteering with. Which means I got to see my first real live Corgi.

Thirteen of them at once.

e: imminent death snype :shepface:
Please get pictures. Or even video.

my dog boyfriend!!
Nov 21, 2008

Ema Nymton posted:

Please get pictures. Or even video.

I should be able to next week--but they're not all out at once. This lady's running a rescue out of her tiny house, and there's so little room, so they're sort of in rotating crate order. I know it sounds fishy as hell and I went into some more detail over in the random nonsense thread. Legit or not, though, those Corgis were so. goddamn. cute. And annoying. And cute. And douchebaggy. And cute. And prissy and prima-donna-y. And CUTE :3:

I wasn't sure if I'd had the right house when I got there, but right when I reached for the doorbell, I heard an instant clamor of a shitton of dogs barking like whoa. They took like 10 minutes to calm down, but then if I ever turned around for any reason and then turned back around, it's like they all forgot I was there and started the barking wave all over again :downs: Take two steps from the living room into the kitchen? Bark time. Stand up from sitting on the couch? Bark time motherfuckers!!

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Gizmo would like to see this thread bumped the gently caress up

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

streetlamp posted:

OK, Gizmo! Corwin will help. :3:

Meeting a very big new friend at the dog park...

He's a pretty boy!

Awesome corgi gallop...

Corwin's new girlfriend...

She's kind of a bitch...

Trying (and failing) to make friends with a very nervous 6-month-old Italian Greyhound...

Exhausted after 2 hours at the dog park and mandatory bath time...

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
You take such amazing pictures of Corwin -- they get his personality so well. His facial expression in that first one is hilarious :3: "WHOA."

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Tendai posted:

You take such amazing pictures of Corwin -- they get his personality so well. His facial expression in that first one is hilarious :3: "WHOA."

Thank you so much! I take a lot more than I post, but I can never get around to editing them when I have stuff for my clients to get done. It's really fun to practice taking photos of him and other dogs at the park... they're SO FAST!

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

streetlamp posted:

!!! I think I've met you and gizmo at the mechanicsville dog park. I have 2 tri colors, Loki and pepper

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Butters and my girlfriend are coming this weekend, and if the dog park here isn't too muddy we'll be going as it's supposed to be super-nice the rest of the week (50-60 degrees in February!). Will definitely take pictures :3:

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

I've been planning on getting a corgi for the past five years, and I'm finally in a situation financially and in a living situation where I can put my plan in motion. :dance: I've been doing a bit of research into breeders and rescues, and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations toward quality Texas breeders? Surrounding states would also be an option; I'm not opposed to a bit of driving.

And, I've done my research into the breed quite thoroughly and spent time around them, so I know what to expect. :)

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

abaddonis posted:

!!! I think I've met you and gizmo at the mechanicsville dog park. I have 2 tri colors, Loki and pepper

On 2nd thought, maybe not. I saw the vcu scarf and tried to put 2 and 2 together. I do remember a red/white there. Maybe it was nacho, not gizmo

Tulenian
Sep 15, 2007

Getting my 'burg on.

Miss Indy posted:

I'm really wanting to go but I've heard horror stories of the trainers there beating dogs with the herding canes. Just make sure they know not to touch your dog unless it's actively like.. ripping a sheep apart or something.

Yeah... that's one thing that really bothered me. If they had smacked Pip or Snaps I think we would have left immediately. There were definitely some other dogs there that they smacked, and it made me have second thoughts about going back.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat

abaddonis posted:

Yayyyy, but it might have been my girlfriend or both of us. I'll ask her if she remembers or knows you, she has a running index of Richmond corgis in her head.

abaddonis posted:

On 2nd thought, maybe not. I saw the vcu scarf and tried to put 2 and 2 together. I do remember a red/white there. Maybe it was nacho, not gizmo
Woops, well I think we have met nachos before. Im not even sure if we have been to the mechanicsville park.

e: corwin do you get so much contrast and depth in post editing or is it basically out of the camera? I have done small studio photography for a few years but in the wild I can never achieve such sharpness and contrast like you with just natural lighting.

e2: lol well i asked my girlfriend and she says this story is true and we have met, i have awful memory

streetlamp fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 17, 2011

lu lu lu
Jul 27, 2007
I've got some apples

:smith:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I don't know what's going on there, but I guess it's bad? I'm sorry :( I feel kind of bad now because I wanted to post some dog park pictures from a couple weeks ago. I'll just post one of Butters after his first swim-

Full-size

Tulenian
Sep 15, 2007

Getting my 'burg on.

C-Euro posted:

I don't know what's going on there, but I guess it's bad? I'm sorry :( I feel kind of bad now because I wanted to post some dog park pictures from a couple weeks ago.

Vet says Pip has some hip dysplasia in one of his hips. We're meeting with the surgeon next Tuesday to discuss how bad it is and what his options are.

We need more corgi pictures, so post away!

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
Pepper has been going through a hip dysphasia scare herself. She has been limping around and not putting pressure on her back right leg. She could still run, jump, play, etc., but she had this nasty limp when she walked. After a few weeks of trying to restrict her amount of play (who can truly 100% restrict a corgi from playing?) we were sure it was hip dysplasia, seeing how her mother had borderline hips. We just got the X-rays back and it showed no signs of dysplasia (I was shocked, really).

The vet thinks it might be a slight tear of a ligament in her leg. He said it would have to be a very small tear, as nothing showed up in the physical or X-ray. He wants us to take her out on a leash and restrict her exertion as much as possible and he is going to give her some anti-inflammatory drugs and see how that goes.

I will attempt to get more pictures soon.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Tulenian posted:

We need more corgi pictures, so post away!

OK fine, I was gonna go to bed but I'll post a few from the dog park-

He's still a little scared of other dogs

Just after splashing in a fresh puddle

Making friends with a couple of hipsters

Some guy had his tri-color Dachshund and Bassett Hound, and remarked about how Butters would complete his set. I tried to get a picture of the three of them but no dice

A pretty good day all around :3:

GoddammitKaede
Feb 17, 2011
Needs more corgi mixes.

The ever rare corgi/pit mix: Maximus Prime.

Max begs horribly, cuddles viciously, and refuses to learn to lay down. Shaking is no problem, rolling over almost there--laying down? No, no sir. He likes to herd the roommates cats around the backyard. He worships food, which is good when I can't find my clicker, so I can substitute a 40k miniature as a lure, but terrifying when he decides that borax is a tasty tasty treat. :argh: He's so mellow that every dog that has met him has humped him in the face.

:sigh: My dog's a bottom.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Going to the Seattle Kennel Club show tomorrow; I promise to bring back lots of photos of the corgs!

(and rally and obedience and agility...)

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

ButWhatIf posted:

Going to the Seattle Kennel Club show tomorrow; I promise to bring back lots of photos of the corgs!

HEY HEY HEY! I wanted to go this morning, but we're just eating breakfast. Corgis are on tomorrow, too! I'm totally going. I wish Corwin could come with. :3:

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

ButWhatIf posted:

Cool, I wonder if any of Josie's family will be there this year. Last year, I think her uncle was in attendance. Some day it would be cool to make it to this show, I always wind up busy on the show weekend it seems.

Take lots of pictures!

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
Who wants some Pems? (We missed the Cardis, sadly, because we were walking around and forgot the time.)

It makes me wish we could show Corwin (although I worry that his pasterns aren't to confirmation). Alas!

Oh! And Corwin met his littermate at the dog park the other day, completely by coincidence!

We had just arrived and a young Red & White pem ran up to Corwin. His owner asked how old he was, and we said 6 months-- he said his dog was 6 months, too, just the previous day. After a second, we realized that meant they had the same birthday, and when he asked if Corwin was from Whidbey, we realized that we were seeing his brother again for the first time since we took Corwin home!

His brother was one of the two other boys we considered for adoption, and at the end it was between him and Corwin. I may be biased, but I'm glad we picked Corwin, because he's an awesome dog.

In another weird coincidence, Corwin's brother's female owner actually works in the same department as my husband at the UW hospital, just a different shift. Small world!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I like how most of those corgis look like they're staring up going "treat?" :3:

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
So I ended up failing really hard. Daylight Savings Time apparently happened, which meant that instead of being at the show at 9 like planned, we were out the door at 9:15 WITHOUT a camera. So no pictures of all the gorgeous Cardis. I apologize profusely. But Pilot from C-Myste was definitely there, and I got to meet Leo from Toreth and Kim from Samhain, and I found out that Paul Chen's Ivy died unexpectedly last year, which made me really sad, because she was a gorgeous dog. I earned brownie points by asking if Leo's Karma (who is one of the sweetest and softest dogs I've ever encountered) was a Carbon baby (which, to be fair, is like asking any given person if they're descended from Noah, these days).

The agility was so fun to watch. Only saw one corgi, a fluffy Pem. It had one of the best runs in that division though. The shelties were over-the-top excited, and one barked about 9 times every time it jumped.

I really wish I had gotten pictures, though. WonderBra, I totally probably saw you! My husband and I were sitting on the bleachers for the Pembrokes. He was infinitely less enthralled than I was, but he got excited about the Cardis and wanted to come up with good dog names and Halloween costumes in the car ride back.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

ButWhatIf posted:

I earned brownie points by asking if Leo's Karma (who is one of the sweetest and softest dogs I've ever encountered) was a Carbon baby (which, to be fair, is like asking any given person if they're descended from Noah, these days).

Um, you were totally standing right next to me when you asked that! At least, I think so! I was petting Karma with some kids and a girl came up and asked if Karma was a Carbon dog and Karma's owner was all excited. And then you(?) said you thought the big spots were recognizable from Carbon's line, and the lady said that Carbon has so many progeny everywhere, but he's Karma's granddad or something like that.

Was that you?!

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Tendai posted:

I like how most of those corgis look like they're staring up going "treat?" :3:

It's because they totally are. :3: I like how they're like :stare: :stare: :stare:

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Wonder Bra posted:

Um, you were totally standing right next to me when you asked that! At least, I think so! I was petting Karma with some kids and a girl came up and asked if Karma was a Carbon dog and Karma's owner was all excited. And then you(?) said you thought the big spots were recognizable from Carbon's line, and the lady said that Carbon has so many progeny everywhere, but he's Karma's granddad or something like that.

Was that you?!

Holy crap. Were you the one with a guy and with the really cute short haircut? Because yeah, that was me! UNINTENTIONAL GOONMEET ITT.

Edit: also you just barely missed the Cardis by taking photos of the Afghans. They were right across from each other at the same time.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
God drat I wish Butters was as well-behaved as those dogs.
We went back to the park yesterday, I'll put a few more pictures up later. He's also hilarious when he swims (though I don't have any good pictures of that)

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

ButWhatIf posted:

So I ended up failing really hard. Daylight Savings Time apparently happened, which meant that instead of being at the show at 9 like planned, we were out the door at 9:15 WITHOUT a camera. So no pictures of all the gorgeous Cardis. I apologize profusely. But Pilot from C-Myste was definitely there, and I got to meet Leo from Toreth and Kim from Samhain, and I found out that Paul Chen's Ivy died unexpectedly last year, which made me really sad, because she was a gorgeous dog. I earned brownie points by asking if Leo's Karma (who is one of the sweetest and softest dogs I've ever encountered) was a Carbon baby (which, to be fair, is like asking any given person if they're descended from Noah, these days).

The agility was so fun to watch. Only saw one corgi, a fluffy Pem. It had one of the best runs in that division though. The shelties were over-the-top excited, and one barked about 9 times every time it jumped.

I really wish I had gotten pictures, though. WonderBra, I totally probably saw you! My husband and I were sitting on the bleachers for the Pembrokes. He was infinitely less enthralled than I was, but he got excited about the Cardis and wanted to come up with good dog names and Halloween costumes in the car ride back.

Man, we really should have gone. I actually would have loved to see all those Cardi folks. Pilot is such a gorgeous dog, it would be cool to see him at a show. And yeah, aren't most Cardis related to Carbon now? Josie is a Carbon grandchild.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

ButWhatIf posted:

Holy crap. Were you the one with a guy and with the really cute short haircut? Because yeah, that was me! UNINTENTIONAL GOONMEET ITT.

Edit: also you just barely missed the Cardis by taking photos of the Afghans. They were right across from each other at the same time.

Yep, that was my husband Justin and I had messy slept-on "daylight savings time" hair. :3: Nice to have unintentionally met you!

lu lu lu
Jul 27, 2007
I've got some apples
If the Carbon you guys are talking about is a mister CH Coedwig's Carbon Blue, then he is also Pip's granddaddy. We ran into one of Pip's very great great-uncles at a Corgi meet once. He was a very old man so he had to stay in the car for the most part though.

Maybe when the weather stabilizes a bit we could have a Seattle area Corgoon meetup at a dog park or something. We've been to some of the Corgi's R Us meetings, but it isn't the same. Most of the dogs are a bit older and mellower than ours would like. I want to see a Corgi Ouroboros, herding itself forever.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

lu lu lu posted:

I want to see a Corgi Ouroboros, herding itself forever.

Brilliant!

How is Pip doing with the hip situation? :smith:

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
Yes, I agree that a WA Corgoon meetup is a must. Definitely after the weather stops crapping on us. Corwin loves new friends and so do I. :3:

lu lu lu
Jul 27, 2007
I've got some apples

anachrodragon posted:

How is Pip doing with the hip situation? :smith:

We've got a surgical consult tomorrow at 2:30. I kind of hope it's really clear cut on what is best at this point. I don't want it to be completely up in the air because what if we ended up making the wrong decision and ugh.

Thinking back, it was kind of evident there was something wrong from the beginning, but it's really hard to tell clumsy puppy walk and from a dysplasia sway.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
It looks like pepper has a torn ligament in her rear left leg. It's been 2 weeks after her vet visit and it got a little better, and then worse. Anyone have any experience with ligament surgery with corgis?

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
A new photo dump of Corwin. He's six and a half months old now!

Pics from our hike on Cougar Mountain last weekend. The black dog is my dad's fat schipperke, Lilu.

Rupert is starting to tolerate Corwin, and occasionally Corwin won't herd the cat when it's less than 10 feet from him...

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
It seems my Corgi is unlikely to have hip problems since her family has all been screened for hip issues back several generations. However, my wife's family once had a total hip replacement for their dog. It was about $5,000.00 but it fixed the hip problem almost entirely. That's of course, not a matter of not wanting to spend that much, but more that I literally don't think I could come up with that kind of money.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004
I realized I have yet to post Gizmo's (the other one) graduation picture.

He did very well in the class and we'll probably sign him up for the next level. Then, it's on to COLLEGE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I really should take Taziki to those classes. She's becoming more and more aggressive with her voice. When she sees a dog across the street she starts barking and growling like a maniac, and she will continue to do so until they are either out of sight or she actually gets to meet them.

It's like she has a good/bad list and when she gets to actually sniff a dog it's on the good list and she never barks at them again and just wags her tail.

• Locked thread