Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

frozenphil posted:

You should be able to find anything from an '04 GT on down in that price range in the USA. Obviously the newer the car the higher the miles. I'd probably probably only be able to get $5k for my '03 GT with 114k miles if I was looking to sell it right now; maybe up to $7k if I found a sucker.

What kind of USA are we talking here? Seattle, LA, Alabama or New York?

If its a fly-in sort of thing I would like it to be within a 1 day drive.

Seattle looks about the same for craigslist. I looked at the Corral Forums but its all either "Rolling Shells" or "14k for my super duper Boss Cobra" or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
Some of you may remember my post from the bottom of page 3 about my '96 Cobra that I took to Anderson Ford. Well, it's still there, but it runs now.

Here's a recap of some of the car (more has been done, well, purchased waiting for its return home...)

VibrioCholera posted:

I just came back from dropping my car off from Anderson Ford in Clinton, IL and they were supposed to do a 5.0 GT build. Still can't get it and it was going to be a magazine car.

Also I'll probably do a full write up with videos once it's (finally) tuned and running but I am a SN95 and mod motor believer. This car was my daily driver last year until it started eating and blowing too much oil. It went in for a basic engine rebuild...

1996 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra still using the Teksid Aluminum Block & B-Heads

No longer is it stock though.

Bored out to ~5.0L, Comp Stage 2 Blower Cams, 9.2:1 pistons, stroker kit, Procharger F1-A supercharger cog driven and intercooled, 80# injectors, Anderson Ford PMS tuned by Anderson Ford, flaming river manual steering, Aerospace Engineering breaks, Weld ProStars wheels, 28" M/T slicks, 8.50 second NHRA certified roll cage, Strange Ford 9" rear end w/ 4.10 gear ratio and spool, MMR aluminum intake (They've sold some, they're ridiculously priced. I'm fairly certain my car is the only one out there right now running with one) tuned on VP Racing Fuel 116 octane leaded race gas @ ~$20/gal (DOH!) It can still be driven on the street as well.

Its weak link right now is the Tremec TKO500 transmission which should hold it but doesn't shift worth a drat especially at the RPM needed to create full boost. Was looking into phase tooth options but ended up decided on a Liberty LSC5000 4 speed. Refusal to put an automatic in the car. Race cars have clutches not computers. :colbert:

Best part is when it was initially getting dyno tuned the kid said, "I don't think your boost gauge is working." I was pretty sure it did. About an hour later he got the car up to around 3500 RPM and it finally moved (electric gauge so there was no vacuum display.) He goes, "Hey, it works. The car doesn't even start to make boost until 4000 RPM. It's set up for ~22 psi right now with the capability to go to 38.

Danny called the other day excited. Their lead guy went out with stomach surgery half a year ago and that set them back on getting to cars apparently. They've played with it here and there and finally figured out the stock ignition on the car is not handling all that boost. It doesn't kick in until 4500RPM or so. MSD box on order. He also said the 60# injectors were enough so they're going to swap them to 85# LI injectors as well.

The good news was it idles and runs. In its current state its making no horsepower but it still sure does sound pretty. He was pretty excited to show up and asked my father if we wanted a video of it online. Of course he said yes. I watched it like 10 times. He said he didn't want to push it too far but said it'll do every bit of 7,000RPM.

Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyReg61CgkU

edit: I have a full brand new in the box Holley nitrous kit (probably not doing this...) in the box sitting in my basement with a bunch of other parts. Probably going to take the mufflers off too. Useless.

VibrioCholera fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 1, 2011

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Well, the 2011 V6 Auto is still pissing me off in stop and go. If I bring it to a complete stop with a 1-second count, launching is smooth. If I roll at up to 5km/h, there's a clunk and hard engagement on acceleration, moreso with light throttle than moderate.

I'm not experienced with automatics, so I don't know what to think. Is the clunk a TCC lock-up, which it can apparently do in any forward gear? I think I've ruled out the standby control, as the engine still works against the brakes. SBC must be for 'P'.

It's a completely different beast in '3', smooth as butter, and sounds more like an automatic: revs proportional to throttle input but not speed. I would guess that there is no lock-up whatsoever in that mode. It sucks that I have to apparently choose between efficiency and comfort in slow traffic. Hill assist mode still exhibits the clunk.

In any event, I'll have the dealership have a look at it at first maintenance interval. If they can't fix it, I guess I'll get a tuner.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

sliderule posted:

Well, the 2011 V6 Auto is still pissing me off in stop and go. If I bring it to a complete stop with a 1-second count, launching is smooth. If I roll at up to 5km/h, there's a clunk and hard engagement on acceleration, moreso with light throttle than moderate.

I'm not experienced with automatics, so I don't know what to think. Is the clunk a TCC lock-up, which it can apparently do in any forward gear? I think I've ruled out the standby control, as the engine still works against the brakes. SBC must be for 'P'.

It's a completely different beast in '3', smooth as butter, and sounds more like an automatic: revs proportional to throttle input but not speed. I would guess that there is no lock-up whatsoever in that mode. It sucks that I have to apparently choose between efficiency and comfort in slow traffic. Hill assist mode still exhibits the clunk.

In any event, I'll have the dealership have a look at it at first maintenance interval. If they can't fix it, I guess I'll get a tuner.

Sounds like it doesn't like to downshift to first until it has come to a stop. That's fairly normal for lovely factory transmission tuning as they seem to do everything they can to stay out of first gear. Take it somewhere that knows how to tune an automatic and your problems will go away.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
Posted pics of my 2011 Kona blue GT Premium in the "Post your own ride!" before I noticed the Mustang megathread. Figured I would stop in to say hi to everyone. Don't have much of a budget for mods this year but I'm going to try to do a CAI + tune this year some time.

Pics here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032817&pagenumber=111&perpage=40#post387562062

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

frozenphil posted:

Sounds like it doesn't like to downshift to first until it has come to a stop. That's fairly normal for lovely factory transmission tuning as they seem to do everything they can to stay out of first gear. Take it somewhere that knows how to tune an automatic and your problems will go away.

Can it be tuned to downshift more aggressively?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

sliderule posted:

Can it be tuned to downshift more aggressively?

For sure. My SCT XCAL II has that function built in, but an actual tuner changing it on the dyno makes a huge difference.

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.

VibrioCholera posted:

Some of you may remember my post from the bottom of page 3 about my '96 Cobra that I took to Anderson Ford. Well, it's still there, but it runs now.

Here's a recap of some of the car (more has been done, well, purchased waiting for its return home...)

Danny called the other day excited. Their lead guy went out with stomach surgery half a year ago and that set them back on getting to cars apparently. They've played with it here and there and finally figured out the stock ignition on the car is not handling all that boost. It doesn't kick in until 4500RPM or so. MSD box on order. He also said the 60# injectors were enough so they're going to swap them to 85# LI injectors as well.

The good news was it idles and runs. In its current state its making no horsepower but it still sure does sound pretty. He was pretty excited to show up and asked my father if we wanted a video of it online. Of course he said yes. I watched it like 10 times. He said he didn't want to push it too far but said it'll do every bit of 7,000RPM.

Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyReg61CgkU

edit: I have a full brand new in the box Holley nitrous kit (probably not doing this...) in the box sitting in my basement with a bunch of other parts. Probably going to take the mufflers off too. Useless.

That is so loving badass! This really makes me miss my 95 :(

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

Huggable Bear King posted:

That is so loving badass! This really makes me miss my 95 :(

Thanks! It still has no numbers yet obviously but hopefully will have a real dyno run video with numbers in the coming weeks.

Now to go get my license... :(

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Grabbed the upper intake off a 5.0 Explorer at the wreckers today for my SN95 and I need to go back for the lower because I didn't have a prybar.

I'm wondering if I should bother getting the heads. They have 200k km on them and will need work considering how much carbon there is inside the intake. Would it be worth it for $60-100 for both? Factoring in porting, machine work and rebuild would I be better off getting something like the GT40x heads for $600?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Evidently someone managed to get a set of wheels from the yet-to-be-released 2012 Boss Laguna Seca edition and put them up for sale on Ebay. Link: http://www.stangtv.com/news/2012-boss-laguna-seca-wheels-for-sale-before-vehicles-release/

I'm sorry, but if those wheels are legit, what were the designers at Ford thinking? "Hmmmm.... let's find the cheapest selling wheel we can find on the internet, paint them a horrible red, and then shave some of the metal off the front"?

snugglebunny
Aug 21, 2004
go to hell
Well, thought the problem had been fixed but its gotten worse now.
Twice on Tuesday all lights shut off about 15-20 minutes into my drive. Once on way to work during daylight, then that night. It's systematic the way it happens also, first the center console area (radio area) shut off, then the dash lights, then the dash entirely and the security light starts flashing. After that all ligghts, turned on my flashers and my headlights flashed as if they where my flashers. Pulledd over and turned car off and now it wouldn't start, like battery was dead. Jumped it off and everything worked again for about 3 minutes then everything shut off again.
Before the light problem started the car lurched a few times as if power went down for a half second.
Any suggestions for this or is it time for a mechanic trip?
Thanks for all the help.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
In other news, I am debating getting the Panhard bar and Lower Control Arms as my next suspension upgrade. I would like to get the Torque Arm so I could go to a 3 link suspension, but I may have to hold off for now for money reasons.

My question, is do you think I should get the parts painted? I know the parts come painted black but I think it would look cool to see just a slight splash of color sticking out from the bottom of my car, to basically say, "there is something not quite stock under the car" and not be ricey.

My car is silver, and the calipers are bright red. If I paint the parts bright red, I think the colors would complement each other. is this a good or bad idea or should I just stay stock black?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

snugglebunny posted:

Thanks for all the help.

Go to a mechanic. I've never heard of a Mustang having these kinds of electrical problems, especially an S197.

kalvick posted:

is this a good or bad idea or should I just stay stock black?

I'm not a big fan of any color other than black under the car simply because it is usually either:
  • tacky
  • theft magnet
  • tacky theft magnet
It's rare that I see a car with painted parts underneath cruising around that actually pulls it off well. If your car looks like this one, go hog wild. :)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

frozenphil posted:

Lol, that looks so righteously vulgar.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Lol, that looks so righteously vulgar.

You're allowed to do what you want when you put 1200hp to the tire. :)

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
Thats a stock paint scheme, Mystichrome, and I think that looks sweet as hell.
I wished Ford did that with other color combinations as well. I think Saleen did a similar color setup with Orange and Red.

The engine bits with the anodized colors totally work in this case!

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006

snugglebunny posted:

Well, thought the problem had been fixed but its gotten worse now.
Twice on Tuesday all lights shut off about 15-20 minutes into my drive. Once on way to work during daylight, then that night. It's systematic the way it happens also, first the center console area (radio area) shut off, then the dash lights, then the dash entirely and the security light starts flashing. After that all ligghts, turned on my flashers and my headlights flashed as if they where my flashers. Pulledd over and turned car off and now it wouldn't start, like battery was dead. Jumped it off and everything worked again for about 3 minutes then everything shut off again.
Before the light problem started the car lurched a few times as if power went down for a half second.
Thanks for all the help.

Sounds very similar to what happened to me recently when my alternator started going bad. It started intermittently (and was still putting some voltage out, keeping the battery somewhat alive), but got gradually worse over the next few days and was much more obvious once the battery went totally dead. Now that it's worse try and get it tested again at Autozone (or wherever).

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Devyl posted:

Evidently someone managed to get a set of wheels from the yet-to-be-released 2012 Boss Laguna Seca edition and put them up for sale on Ebay. Link: http://www.stangtv.com/news/2012-boss-laguna-seca-wheels-for-sale-before-vehicles-release/

I'm sorry, but if those wheels are legit, what were the designers at Ford thinking? "Hmmmm.... let's find the cheapest selling wheel we can find on the internet, paint them a horrible red, and then shave some of the metal off the front"?

They look like a set of red base Shelby wheels.

CanAm
Jan 4, 2009

Eh.
Saw a bone stock '94 GT convertible with that ugly green/turquoise color and license plates that read "1 F8L GT".

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Parthenogenocide posted:

Saw a bone stock '94 GT convertible with that ugly green/turquoise color and license plates that read "1 F8L GT".

I think they are referring to the terrible survivability chance of crashed 94 verts.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Parthenogenocide posted:

What part of the country are you in? Depending on which state, that may be F8LSNK's daily driver and I can assure you it isn't stock. :)

CanAm
Jan 4, 2009

Eh.

frozenphil posted:

What part of the country are you in? Depending on which state, that may be F8LSNK's daily driver and I can assure you it isn't stock. :)

San Jose, CA. Saw it on 101 South near the airport.

If it is his car, wash your goddamn car dude.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Parthenogenocide posted:

San Jose, CA. Saw it on 101 South near the airport.

If it is his car, wash your goddamn car dude.

Highly doubtful then as he lives in the Carolinas. He's rather famous in the grudge racing scene with his '03 Cobra.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
I remember someone posting a link in this thread to a Mustang tuner but I can't seem to find it. I would like to get a tune for my 2008 Bullitt but I'm currently overseas and wouldn't trust people here to do it. What are some reputable tuners who deal in email tunes?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Killbot posted:

I remember someone posting a link in this thread to a Mustang tuner but I can't seem to find it. I would like to get a tune for my 2008 Bullitt but I'm currently overseas and wouldn't trust people here to do it. What are some reputable tuners who deal in email tunes?

You've got a bullitt overseas? I can't even imagine what that'd be like.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Killbot posted:

That was probably me telling people about Justin Starkey over at VMP Tuning. The dude knows his poo poo.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
Thanks!

Having a Bullitt overseas is pretty nice. Hell, having anything with a V8 here is great when you're in a sea of economy cars. A few people recognize it as a Mustang, but everyone else sees it as a loud and strange-looking green car.

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God

Killbot posted:

I had my tune done by Bama Tuning at American Muscle.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Following the "best performance upgrade is a decent set of tires" motto, what would be a nice set of tires for a 2008 V6? Tax return season is on the way and I need to do my market research!

e: Living in NY so I'm looking for all-season tires.

shodanjr_gr fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 15, 2011

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I admit to being slightly surprised this story isn't gaining more attention:

Bill Ford confirms future Ecoboost Mustang

As long as this SVO means we don't have to deal with a naturally-aspirated Pinto-powered S197, we're in good shape.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

IOwnCalculus posted:

Bill Ford confirms future Ecoboost Mustang

As long as this SVO means we don't have to deal with a naturally-aspirated Pinto-powered S197, we're in good shape.

Oh god. This could be amazing. How mod friendly is the 3.5?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

iwentdoodie posted:

Oh god. This could be amazing. How mod friendly is the 3.5?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8LoBSKMEI8&feature=player_detailpage#t=50s

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Yeah, SHOs are bonafide mid-to-high 12 second cars with a tune.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm pretty sure everybody knew -- even if it was never official -- we would get another turbo Mustang this generation, it was just a matter of when.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

oRenj9 posted:

I'm pretty sure everybody knew -- even if it was never official -- we would get another turbo Mustang this generation, it was just a matter of when.

I'm pretty sure I said this a year or two ago in the old Mustang thread. I've correctly predicted every special edition and every single engine Ford has put in a Mustang since the 2001 Cobra. I'm friggen Kreskin up in here! :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Now it's down to whether we get the 3.5 or the 2.0. Personally, I'd like to see 'em bore out the 2.0 to 2.3L and drop it in there, just to keep with the 5.0 nostalgia.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Hey Phil, not that I'm ever expecting to get one, ever, but a while back you kept posting the latest dick waving every time the GT broke xWHP, broke X seconds, etc. I'm just curious if you've got the latest on what the new V6 is capable of now that there's been ample time to play with it?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Hey Phil, not that I'm ever expecting to get one, ever, but a while back you kept posting the latest dick waving every time the GT broke xWHP, broke X seconds, etc. I'm just curious if you've got the latest on what the new V6 is capable of now that there's been ample time to play with it?

I don't really follow the v6 stuff because I don't really care about that engine. :blush: I've also stopped following the 5.0 stuff because at this point there is every kind of power adder available for them and most of the tuning houses have had one for awhile so the numbers are meaningless anymore. I know Evo's car is very near the 7s already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
My friend brought his '07 GT500 to work today with an intake, exhaust, and some suspension and holy loving poo poo those are the greatest hoon cars ever. I thought "spins tires in 3rd" was just a retarded euphemism but they really can upset traction at 80mph in 3rd, they really do have a terrifying amount of power. He's looking to sell it if anyone in New England wants one.

Also twin screw whine :swoon:

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 17, 2011