Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Warbadger posted:

Too small. It's probably a M40 105mm recoiless rifle, note the spotting rifle on top.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M40_recoilless_rifle

Here's hoping nobody is actually getting anything like that shot at them.

I didn't know Libya uses any US equipment? drat, now I must find out what's going on. Is that footage certain to be from Libya?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Samurai Sanders posted:

One thing I want to know is, how many police officers will refuse to fire on unarmed civilians if they are ordered to? Surely a whole lot of them can look at that crowd and not see a faceless crowd, but rather a bunch of people who could easily be their family and friends. It's a small country after all.

Iran took this into consideration and recruits an 'outside' force, one that directly opposes, historically and religiously, the ideals of its people, to brutalise any resistance. The Basij.

The Basij is basically the SS in every form and every ideal. No poo poo.

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 19, 2011

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nenonen posted:

I didn't know Libya uses any US equipment? drat, now I must find out what's going on. Is that footage certain to be from Libya?

They joined our war on terror and cozied up to us, as a chance to stop the constant attempts on gaddafi's life.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

One thing I want to know is, how many police officers will refuse to fire on unarmed civilians if they are ordered to? Surely a whole lot of them can look at that crowd and not see a faceless crowd, but rather a bunch of people who could easily be their family and friends. It's a small country after all.

Which is why the Bahraini government has been trying so hard to make this into a sectarian struggle between the supermajority Shia ordinary population and the mostly Sunni security/government forces. It's a lot easier to tell the soldiers that the people on the street are heretical splittists in the pocket of Iran who will compromise Bahrain's independence and frame it as a struggle that way than to have the security forces think of the people they're shooting as "Bahraini."

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
The US doesn't sell arms to Libya, the UK on the other hand, does. I'm pretty sure the footage is from Libya, but it can't be confirmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8z7RKkxqY0

Video of gunmen shooting at protesters in Sana'a, Yemen. Reporting indicates that these are tribesmen that support Saleh (in exchange for payment sometimes, but tribal relations are complicated). Two injured.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

Xandu posted:

I added a bunch of pictures and videos in the D&D thread, Here's the post. This video especially is worth watching. Very graphic at end, clash between protesters and army in al-Badya, Libya.

:nms: :nws: https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=103475683065662&oid=179449562095105&comments :nms: :nws:

edit: very very graphic, a guy gets his head shot off.

Christ, I saw this first on the Guardian live feed for the protests and I wasn't sure whether or not it was okay to show the whole footage with minimum warnings and no editing on one of the front pages of the top stories of a major paper. It's definately an important video in one sense but not sure I need to see a dude die on camera to get across a point that "protestor got shot in the head" is significant.

Heart goes out to all these people fighting for what I take for granted.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

Protesters being shot to death and crushed to death by tanks.

Oh I see; I thought you were referring to the picture specifically and not the story around the picture.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Xandu posted:

The US doesn't sell arms to Libya, the UK on the other hand, does. I'm pretty sure the footage is from Libya, but it can't be confirmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8z7RKkxqY0

Video of gunmen shooting at protesters in Sana'a, Yemen. Reporting indicates that these are tribesmen that support Saleh (in exchange for payment sometimes, but tribal relations are complicated). Two injured.

It was probably captured during the Libya-Chad conflict.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Warbadger posted:

It was probably captured during the Libya-Chad conflict.

Why would you say that?

If you look at the other videos in his channel you can see the protesters are waving Yemeni flags, so I doubt it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-qOIILPVtw&t=2m30s

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Patter Song posted:

Which is why the Bahraini government has been trying so hard to make this into a sectarian struggle between the supermajority Shia ordinary population and the mostly Sunni security/government forces. It's a lot easier to tell the soldiers that the people on the street are heretical splittists in the pocket of Iran who will compromise Bahrain's independence and frame it as a struggle that way than to have the security forces think of the people they're shooting as "Bahraini."
drat, they are thinking this through. I guess you don't become leader of even a little monarchy like Bahrain without at least SOME smarts.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Samurai Sanders posted:

drat, they are thinking this through. I guess you don't become leader of even a little monarchy like Bahrain without at least SOME smarts.

Well plus the Gulf states all have THE Middle Eastern brutal theocratic monarchy backing them up in the end.

Cacatua
Jan 17, 2006

More notes on Libya (from http://twitter.com/SultanAlQassemi)

Al Hurra: Anonymous caller from Benghazi: Claims that Saadi Al Gaddafi has been captured by protesters in Benghazi

(I wonder if that's true?)

AP: Libyan hospital official: snipers killed 1 person & injured a 12 after they opened fire on mourners at a mass funeral for 35 protesters

AGI: Libya: Al Jazeera: People killed by snipers in Benghazi http://bit.ly/hwLyBO Also a similar story from AP: http://bit.ly/e4U1Wv
about 2 hours ago via web

(Holy poo poo - firing at people at a funeral?!

Al Hurra: Anonymous caller from Benghazi: The 84 persons who were killed were shot in the head and the chest.

My comments: Given that there are very few foreign reporters in Libya (all of whom have to be accompanied by minders), and that the internet and electricity has been cut off in several areas, I suspect that the carnage there is much, much worse than what's being reported so far.

From other sources:

Al Jazeera Confirmed: Women and children are amongst the dead in the horrific #Benghazi massacre ordered by #Gaddafi. #Libya #Feb17 #Libyans

Woman on CNN says, the troops lied, said "we are with you"... got close and then they opened fire

Also: :nms: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MSWS88t0rE&skipcontrinter=1

(Warning: above video is very graphic, and shows images of protesters who had been shot in the head).

The hospitals (which may not have power) also lack supplies and blood for transfusions.

This is so awful I don't even know what to say. The protesters there are extremely brave.

Edit: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...he-dissent.html

Telegraph posted:

"They don't have any weapons so it is difficult for the people in Benghazi to defend themselves," he said. "But the army were so horrified when these mercenaries started attacking protesters that they have joined the people to defend them. It is chaotic in the hospitals. Medical supplies and everything else has been blocked and they are making appeals in the streets for people to come forward and give blood."

A Libyan journalist said of the African mercenaries: "The soldiers are vicious killers. People are so terrified of them that they've been doing everything possible to get away.
"Women and children were seen jumping off Giuliana Bridge in Benghazi to escape. Many of them were killed by the impact of hitting the water, while others were drowned."

Fatih, 26, another Benghazi resident, said: "A lot of the thugs he's employing are not Arabic speakers. They're armed to the teeth and only use live ammunition. They don't ask questions – they just shoot. Buildings and cars have been set on fire here, and the situation is getting worse. The dead and injured are everywhere.

Jesus Christ.

Cacatua fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 19, 2011

Chade Johnson
Oct 12, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Hopefully this will force American lackey states to seriously revew their policies, both in support of the US military and, for Egypt, their policies towards the Palestinians and the wider Israeli/Palestinian conflict.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Chade Johnson posted:

Hopefully this will force American lackey states to seriously revew their policies, both in support of the US military and, for Egypt, their policies towards the Palestinians and the wider Israeli/Palestinian conflict.

Or they'll just stay permanently stuck in 1960, which is more likely given their response to the new revolutions.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

ChaosSamusX posted:

Oh I see; I thought you were referring to the picture specifically and not the story around the picture.

Well he said "worse and best" and quoted a man getting shot in the loving head and quoted a picture of a guy with peace, love, and understanding.

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 19, 2011

Chade Johnson
Oct 12, 2009

by Ozmaugh

The Brown Menace posted:

Or they'll just stay permanently stuck in 1960, which is more likely given their response to the new revolutions.

I hope so, that was before Camp David.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
I hope Obama's administration has been on the phones all day putting whatever pressure they can to mitigate violence. As little a thing as it is to do, it's better than nothing.

Cacatua
Jan 17, 2006

Spiky Ooze posted:

I hope Obama's administration has been on the phones all day putting whatever pressure they can to mitigate violence. As little a thing as it is to do, it's better than nothing.

That's what I hope too but very few world leaders have had much to say about this.

Cacatua fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 19, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cacatua posted:

That's what I hope too but very few world leaders have had much to say about this.
Well I mean, they can't do OVERT things, but there are lots of secret back-room things they can do, right?

Chade Johnson
Oct 12, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well I mean, they can't do OVERT things, but there are lots of secret back-room things they can do, right?

It doesn't have to be secret or backdoor. Zelaya was overthrown in an illegal military coup in Honduras and there hasn't been much reporting on the rampant human rights violations occurring under the military government.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
It was reported that Obama had a lot of 'covert' calls to Mubarak, and he was pushing for peaceful change, but Mubarak and the leadership was dismissive/made promises they did not keep.

Obama can't make these dictators listen to the protesters no matter what the position and financial/military aid of the US, but at least he is trying. Imagine the actions and rhetoric of Mccain in this ordeal.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Lascivious Sloth posted:

It was reported that Obama had a lot of overt calls to Mubarak, and he was pushing for peaceful change, but Mubarak and the leadership was dismissive/made promises they did not keep.

Obama can't make these dictators listen to the protesters no matter what the position and financial/military aid of the US, but at least he is trying. Imagine the actions and rhetoric of Mccain in this ordeal.

Didn't even McCain concede that Mubarak has to bow to all the pressure and get out?

I remember him tweeting (ugh) something like that, prefaced with "regrettably."

GnatKingCoal
Dec 17, 2008

You, Sir, are UNAmerican!
Oppressed peoples of the world are figuring out that there are MORE of them than ANY autocrat can hire of soldiers or gestapo.

These are people making the choice to live and die on their feet rather than just scrape by existing, on their knees.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

Dustin1986
Jul 13, 2006
I just hope God doesn't win in the end.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Dustin1986 posted:

I just hope God doesn't win in the end.

What's winning and losing, for you, in this situation? And for God? (Who is your God?)
All honest questions..

V Isn't that what McCain usually does, regardless of subject matter?

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 19, 2011

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

The Brown Menace posted:

Didn't even McCain concede that Mubarak has to bow to all the pressure and get out?

I remember him tweeting (ugh) something like that, prefaced with "regrettably."

I recall he did a complete 180 in his views a few days before Mubarak stepped down, but I can't cite exactly. All I remember is that he made some comments that were ridiculously counter to his initial stance, and completely retarded in reasoning.

GnatKingCoal
Dec 17, 2008

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I recall he did a complete 180 in his views a few days before Mubarak stepped down, but I can't cite exactly. All I remember is that he made some comments that were ridiculously counter to his initial stance, and completely retarded in reasoning.

Yeah - McCain's famous for his 20/20 hindsight.

Why, just two years ago, he stood adamantly on the position that Generalissimo Francisco Franco should relinquish power in Spain.

Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Apparently the Kurds have gotten into the act:

quote:

‘Protests should be done by people who know how to do them’ said a close colleague of mine in regards to recent Kurdish protests, which took place in Sulemani. She said ‘Kurds just don’t know how to protest peacefully, they’re too backward’. But is that really true? Are we incapable of self-expression because we are Middle Easterners?

Far from being backward, the recent protests were done out of solidarity with the brave heroes of the Middle east, namely Egypt and Tunisia. A few hours of violence erupted after the solidarity conference was held, where calls for reform in Kurdistan were echoed. It is unclear why a few protesters targeted KDP headquarters, and why security forces responded with live fire to disperse protesters, which injured 54 people, and killed one. But this should not be a basis for condemnation of peaceful protests organized in Kurdistan.

Protesting is a Human right, and people should be free to signal their dissatisfaction with any system. Their demands must be addressed, regardless of whether they are reasonable demands or not. Those who have condemned recent protests by calling it ‘backward’ and ‘irresponsible’ have forgotten that if this were 10 years ago, the protesters would have been massacred silently.

http://www.mideastyouth.com/2011/02/19/kurdish-%E2%80%98day-of-rage%E2%80%99-condemned/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

A pretty lady, a pretty blouse, a pretty...stringed instrument...and some Algerian music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3j3Bnd-xtI

And, Lascivious Sloth, could you change the link to the Twitter Middle East News list to this:

http://twitter.com/#!/list/IckyEtardo/middle-east-africa-news

The name has been updated to reflect the true circumstances. Thanks!

Edit: Looky what we have here:

quote:

@RuwaydaMustafah
Ruwayda Mustafah
Doctored photo's to show #Bahrain protesters as Pro-Iran: http://yfrog.com/gzarq4j #IranElections #Pathetic Thanks @Elizrael

quote:

@SultanAlQassemi
Sultan Al Qassemi
We made fun of Mubarak who outlasted five US Presidents; Gaddafi outlasted three Egyptian Presidents (Arabic joke via @TheSherio @Sarahngb)

Also, Morocco will be joining the rest of North Africa and the Middle East tomorrow:

quote:

Since the fall of the Egyptian regime, Moroccans have been planning a movement of their own. Taking place tomorrow, February 20, the “movement for dignity” encapsulates some Moroccans' frustration with a government that they believe has done little to combat corruption. The protesters are demanding constitutional reform, the dissolution of parliament, and the lowering of food prices, among other things.

http://globalvoicesonline.org/2011/02/19/morocco-i-am-moroccan-and-i-will-take-part/

Apology fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 20, 2011

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Started following the Middle-East again ever since Mubarak's resignation. I did not expect things could get worse than the riots at the National Museum where pro-moobs scaled an apartment building and threw rocks down on the street. I guess I was proven wrong. :(

Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Some Libya tweets:

quote:

@SultanAlQassemi
Sultan Al Qassemi
France 24 English speaking to Prof Ali Tarhouni now from University of Washington

@SultanAlQassemi
Sultan Al Qassemi
Prof Ali Tarhouni (member of Libyan opposition) to France 24: Uprising is in 60 to 70% of entire mass of the country.

@SultanAlQassemi
Sultan Al Qassemi
Prof Ali Tarhouni to France 24: The Benghazi court square was occupied by women, children & the elderly today however 3 or 4 km south of ..

@SultanAlQassemi
Sultan Al Qassemi
Prof Ali Tarhouni to France 24: .. that is the last camp of the Khamis Brigade, Khamis is Gaddafi's son, responsible for the killing

@SultanAlQassemi
Sultan Al Qassemi
Prof Ali Tarhouni to France 24: That (camp) also hosts the Sahel & the Sahara or so called coast brigade who are mercenaries mainly from ...

@SultanAlQassemi
Sultan Al Qassemi
Prof Ali Tarhouni to France 24: .. Chad & Niger. As of 15 mins ago, this camp fell completely, it is under the control of the people.

@SultanAlQassemi
Sultan Al Qassemi
Prof Ali Tarhouni to France 24: The camp fell at a very very heavy price, we don't know, 100s, but the exact number we cannot confirm

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know

Apology posted:

Edit: Looky what we have here:

I can't believe they would change a sign that says this to instead say that. They would never say anything like that. They strongly are in favor of this.

Can anyone translate?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

Well plus the Gulf states all have THE Middle Eastern brutal theocratic monarchy backing them up in the end.

What's really interesting is what's going in Kuwait with the bedouin protesting for citzenship. For Kuwait, the UAE, and for some part, Saudi Arabia, who becomes a citizen is a huge freaking deal. On one side, people are given health care, free housing and education, and a lot of times jobs, the other total poo poo all. In UAE, the emirati (UAE nationals) make up something like 10% of the population and sit on top of the heap, while the rest, immigrants sometimes there for three or more generations, can be deported at any time. If the protests spread there....

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Unlike America, France actually supported their buddies with actions.

French National Assembly, Jan 11 posted:

opposition minister:"What about Ben Ali? 42 deaths!"

foreign minister Michele Alliot: "The fundamentals of politics would lead us to offer the expertise of our security forces, which is known throughout the world, can resolve security situations like this"

I :glomp: you france

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Shageletic posted:

What's really interesting is what's going in Kuwait with the bedouin protesting for citzenship. For Kuwait, the UAE, and for some part, Saudi Arabia, who becomes a citizen is a huge freaking deal. On one side, people are given health care, free housing and education, and a lot of times jobs, the other total poo poo all. In UAE, the emirati (UAE nationals) make up something like 10% of the population and sit on top of the heap, while the rest, immigrants sometimes there for three or more generations, can be deported at any time. If the protests spread there....

Oh I'm well aware of that situation. Ever since Mubarak's regime fell I've been wondering what is going to happen if the slave class of the west side of the Persian Gulf gets emboldened.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

tetsul posted:

I can't believe they would change a sign that says this to instead say that. They would never say anything like that. They strongly are in favor of this.

Can anyone translate?

Iran have been caught photo-shopping things like this before, as well as China. I doubt the majority of their populace notices. Their state run media sure as hell won't mention it.

I have updated the OP and I'll try to keep it up-to-date with those youtube clips and critical news and links.

vvv Unless I'm thinking of a different area, the military and police pulled out of the main square, and the civs took it back over. The civs did not attack and overrun a military camp as the tweet may be misinterpreted.

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 20, 2011

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Apology posted:

Some Libya tweets:

Civilians attacked and took over a military camp? Jesus Christ, go Libyans.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Isentropy posted:

Speaking of France, how are they reacting to the protests in Algeria?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Isentropy posted:

Considering France's armed forces role in Rwanda, I would think they'd be more careful about helping out awful regimes.

GnatKingCoal
Dec 17, 2008

tetsul posted:

Can anyone translate?

No, but they're not the only ones who can p-shop.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

tetsul posted:

Can anyone translate?

I can't figure out what سامية means in the first one, but I"m pretty sure the bottom one (which is presumably the photoshopped one) says "No treacherous Arab will remain alive in Iran"

• Locked thread