Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chade Johnson
Oct 12, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Baronjutter posted:

and it's not like it's true just because it's on TV

That's stupid. People wouldn't watch it if it was full of lies. Yes the truth may be slanted to promote American interests but that doesn't make it a lie. I really don't see what is so hard to understand about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lil sartre
Feb 12, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Frackmire posted:

It would only be racist if African mercenaries were known for their humanitarianism at some previous point of time. But they are not even soldiers anymore, they're criminals at best and animals at worst, created by deplorable living and political conditions in that part of the world.

Ah yes because white mercenaries involved in slaughters across africa in the past 60 years were so much more humanitarian

Suntory BOSS
Apr 17, 2006

Nenonen posted:

And make it look like USA organized the rebellions in the first place. That would only give the armed forces a legitimate reason to fire at protestors - they'd not be fighting against their people's will, they'd be defending their country against a foreign intervention. gently caress, even the protestors would take arms to fight against a US military expedition. It'd be just another quagmire of civil war like Iraq.

Besides, if Obama really wanted to support democracy, he'd already have had Karzai removed.

Good points, although I was thinking more of the State Dept covertly offering dial-in Internet Access (like a French ISP did when Egypt cut the net) more than some hand-handed military intervention. Either way, you're probably right that being too supportive of the protesters will likely backfire.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Frackmire posted:

It would only be racist if African mercenaries were known for their humanitarianism at some previous point of time. But they are not even soldiers anymore, they're criminals at best and animals at worst, created by deplorable living and political conditions in that part of the world.

Yeah, that's the kind of racist tone he was mentioning. One thing we need to keep reminding ourselves to focus on what's happening, resist the urge to generalize, and try to get informed about the very different context for each situation we're looking at.

Generalizing Chad troops (whose symbiotic relationship with Libya is an interesting thing to note) as typical African bushwackers doesn't really help you understand the situation. Also, now we're saying that African mercenaries are the only ones who act like animals? Iraq, Equitarial Guinea, Nicuaraga, etc would like to disagree with you.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Wait, so there are undersupplied protesters in Libya fighting against an enemy with many more tanks? Where's Ghost Rommel when we need him? :(

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Gaddafi is threatening to stop co-operating with the EU over illegal immigration if they don't stop encouraging the protesters, ie criticising Libya for murdering protesters.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Brown Moses posted:

Gaddafi is threatening to stop co-operating with the EU over illegal immigration if they don't stop encouraging the protesters, ie criticising Libya for murdering protesters.

Oh gently caress, now we're screwed. Time to send some arms and trained snipers to support Gaddafi! IMMIGRANTS :arghfist::byodood:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ganglysumbia posted:

Aljazeera just reported protesters have captured tanks and are driving them through the city....
There's something about stealing an oppressor's tank and using it against them that makes me feel all awesome inside. Same as in Return of the Jedi when the ewoks stole the walker and started blowing poo poo up left and right.

edit: How easy is it to drive a tank without training anyway? I just realized I have no idea how they operate.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 20, 2011

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

There's something about stealing an oppressor's tank and using it against them that makes me feel all awesome inside. Same as in Return of the Jedi when the ewoks stole the walker and started blowing poo poo up left and right.

edit: How easy is it to drive a tank without training anyway? I just realized I have no idea how they operate.

The actual driving bit is similar enough to driving a car that most anyone should be able to figure it out easily. As far as I am aware most tanks are driven in the same way as any other tracked vehicle.

Astrolite
Jun 29, 2005

Ero Ninja Gundam!
Pillbug

Samurai Sanders posted:

Driving them is pretty easy. Firing the main gun would be a bit more difficult, unless it's a very old model.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Some really good pictures from Benghazi

http://www.flickr.com/photos/a7fadhomar/

Xandu fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 20, 2011

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
edit: okay it looks like I was wrong, according to CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/afric...+Top+Stories%29

quote:

The clashes escalated after the incident, centered around the military camp. Protesters packed at least one car with explosives Sunday and sent it crashing into a compound wall at the camp, eyewitnesses said. Security forces then fired on the protesters as they attempted to breach the camp.

On the camp's southern side, meanwhile, protesters drove a tank from a nearby army base in another attempt to break in, witnesses said. They have also obtained other weapons, the protester said.

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 20, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Astrolite posted:

Driving them is pretty easy. Firing the main gun would be a bit more difficult, unless it's a very old model.
Eh, no need to bother with the gun, the tank itself can be plenty destructive. And what is the army going to do, blow up one of their own tanks?

edit: vvv yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Eh, no need to bother with the gun, the tank itself can be plenty destructive.

Killdozer goes global.

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!

Brown Moses posted:

Gaddafi is like a villain from a Stephen King novel. He has a wicked sense of humor, isn't completely in touch with reality, and doesn't always take himself seriously, but when poo poo comes to shove he's downright loving evil.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

THE HORSES rear end posted:

Gaddafi is like a villain from a Stephen King novel. He has a wicked sense of humor, isn't completely in touch with reality, and doesn't always take himself seriously, but when poo poo comes to shove he's downright loving evil.

So he's basically Scorpio from the Simpsons.

Cacatua
Jan 17, 2006

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Should clarify - I think its past the point of no return in LIBYA.

That's the impression I'm getting. I can't see things settling down with business going on as usual after these massacres. I suspect that Gaddafi will go down like Hitler (suicide) or possibly like Ceausescu.

Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Revolution breaks out in Thailand and Morocco.

Thailand sounds bloody:

quote:

Thai Red Shirts rally in Thailand’s capital
by Harry Oldfield
Thousands of Thai “Red Shirts” massed in Bangkok to mark the nine-month anniversary since a bloody crackdown took place on their anti-government protest and call for the government to release their detained leaders.
Approximately 25,000 protesters gathered in the capital and paraded from the core of Bangkok’s retail centre to the Democracy Monument. Both of these sites were the actual sites of bloodshed during last year’s demonstrations.
Decked out in their trademark colour, the protesters were seen waving flags, banners and plastic clappers as the movement’s key leaders addressed them. Thida Thavornseth, leader of the Red Shirt movement, said that the people came on this very day to ask for justice for those of their comrades who had died exactly nine months ago.
A group of 4,500 policemen were dispatched in the city to make sure law and order was maintained during the rally. Many of the Red Shirts protesters came into Bangkok from neighbouring provinces on pick-up trucks, motorcycles and cars formed a procession through the city centre to the Supreme Court. They then headed towards the Democracy Monument where they were due to remain there till midnight.
In 2010, the two-month rallies demanding for immediate elections saw the clash between the Red Shirts and the army, leaving more than 90 dead and nearly 1,900 injured.

http://www.discountvouchers.co.uk/news/163593535.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

And in Morocco, the Hamburglar was shot and killed:

quote:

Plainclothes police mingled among the demonstrators in Rabat, though police were generally discreet. Most marches took place peacefully, officials said.

However, in the city of Marrakech in central Morocco, vandals besieged a McDonald's restaurant and a clothing store in spillover unrest, said a security official on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly on the matter.

And in the northern city of Larache, roaming bands set upon the regional governor's house and set fire to a gasoline station, prompting firefighters to intervene to put out the blaze, the official said.

The self-styled "February 20 movement" — apparently not for any particular historic reason — was largely summoned through social media like Facebook.

http://www.wral.com/news/national_world/world/story/9142851/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I probably shouldn't make fun of Morocco's revolution but :laugh:

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Apology posted:

And in Morocco, the Hamburglar was shot and killed:

Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Xandu posted:

I really shouldn't be laughing this hard right now :laugh:

From Libya:

quote:

Gaddafi vows not to flee Libya- sources

20/02/2011
By Mohamed Abdul-Rauf

Cairo, Asharq Al-Awsat- Libyan sources told Asharq al-Awsat that the Libyan leader, Colonel Muammar Gaddafi, will not flee the country if the situation escalates, and that he intends to die on Libyan soil. Sources affiliated with the Gaddafi family spoke to Asharq al-Awsat via telephone, saying that the city of al-Bayda [east Libya] is witnessing riots and widespread violence, led by armed militias. [These groups] began their activities by storming a prison, releasing the inmates, and ended by surrounding an army battalion belonging to the younger son of the Libyan leader.

http://aawsat.com/english/news.asp?section=1&id=24232

Now why does this sound so familiar? :munch:

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Apology posted:

Now why does this sound so familiar? :munch:

The difference is that he probably won't be able to flee. I'm having trouble thinking of who would accept him.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Xandu posted:

The difference is that he probably won't be able to flee. I'm having trouble thinking of who would accept him.

KJI might take Ghadaffi in, but only on the condition that he brings his Amazon brigade along with him.

More seriously though, Ghadaffi is pretty much hosed. Mubarak was rightfully denounced for how he handled the protests in Egypt, but it sounds like what is happening in Libya is a straight-up war declared on the general populace. Even Ghadaffi's most steadfast buddies outside of Libya will be hard-pressed to look past that assuming he does escape. If he doesn't, he's going to die in a very unpleasant fashion once the protesters get their hands on him if he doesn't kill himself first.

Cacatua
Jan 17, 2006

Xandu posted:

It's usually Saudi Arabia that accepts deposed dictators, but he doesn't get along with them. He gets along very well with Hugo Chavez but after this I don't really see Venezuela accepting him.

Some of African countries with very corrupt leaderships might take him. Mauritania, maybe? I don't really know.

Saif Gaddafi is apparently going to give a televised address soon. I have no idea where that's going to go.

Chade Johnson
Oct 12, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Lol if you think Gadaffi won't find refuge in Burkina Faso or some lovely country

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

quote:

Some of African countries with very corrupt leaderships might take him. Mauritania, maybe? I don't really know.

Yeah that seems the most plausible to me, but I don't know which ones in particular. He's made a lot of enemies over the years and after this massacre, most countries will consider him untouchable.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
Has the situation in Libya really gone past the tipping point? Gaddafi can still win this.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Thundarr posted:

KJI might take Ghadaffi in, but only on the condition that he brings his Amazon brigade along with him.

More seriously though, Ghadaffi is pretty much hosed. Mubarak was rightfully denounced for how he handled the protests in Egypt, but it sounds like what is happening in Libya is a straight-up war declared on the general populace. Even Ghadaffi's most steadfast buddies outside of Libya will be hard-pressed to look past that assuming he does escape. If he doesn't, he's going to die in a very unpleasant fashion once the protesters get their hands on him if he doesn't kill himself first.

What it depends on is if there are independent institutions in Libya able to counteract Ghaddafi, like you saw in Egypt. There needs to be something pushing on the inside as well as the outside. Didn't a previous poster state that Libya's military was basically Ghaddafi's bootlickers?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Democrazy posted:

Has the situation in Libya really gone past the tipping point? Gaddafi can still win this.

I think it has. He can't win it without killing everybody. It's not confined to one city like it was in the beginning, he's starting to lose his base of tribal support, the fact that he's bringing in mercenaries means he can't rely on the army (some divisions are totally loyal to him, like the one commanded by his son, but not all). I can easily see him continuing to massacre people over the next week, but I don't see a way out of this for him.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Astrolite posted:

Honestly if you can operate a T55 in Balkans on Fire, you can probably operate one in real life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Warriors:_T-72_Tank_Commander

Or maybe someone can just get them the manual:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1969-russian-ussr-soviet-army-t55-tank-manual

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.
So, there is a lot of focus on Lybia and Bahrain currently, but what are the details, if any, on Iran and China?

AJE mentioned something that protesters in Iran have been injured by the security forces via teargas, and they're camping in the streets overnight, but nothing concrete.

And in China, how easy is it for citizens to get outside information (I.E. Al Jazeera, etc.)?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Xandu posted:

I think it has. He can't win it without killing everybody. It's not confined to one city like it was in the beginning, he's starting to lose his base of tribal support, the fact that he's bringing in mercenaries means he can't rely on the army (some divisions are totally loyal to him, like the one commanded by his son, but not all). I can easily see him continuing to massacre people over the next week, but I don't see a way out of this for him.

If any force is going to continue the protests, and assaults on his regime, it'll be the Berbers, whom he's oppressed and spouted a lot of bigoted things.

Suntory BOSS
Apr 17, 2006

Sivias posted:

So, there is a lot of focus on Lybia and Bahrain currently, but what are the details, if any, on Iran and China?

AJE mentioned something that protesters in Iran have been injured by the security forces via teargas, and they're camping in the streets overnight, but nothing concrete.

And in China, how easy is it for citizens to get outside information (I.E. Al Jazeera, etc.)?

I wouldn't hold your breath on China-- widespread civil unrest is virtually inevitable, but there's nothing to suggest it will start now. From what I understand, it's possible to find one's way around the Great Firewall if the user is determined enough, the government just has to make it enough of a hassle so that 99% of the population never bothers.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.

Suntory BOSS posted:

...China-- ...Great Firewall...

They sure like their walls.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It sounds lıke Libya is on the verge of civil war now it sounds like army units are joining the protesters and distributing weapons among them. With tribalism being so strong in Libya I can really see things getting very polarised and violent in Libya. I hope Galewolf is out of their.

AJE just said the Libyian Arab League representative has just resigned.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 20, 2011

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Brown Moses posted:

It sounds lıke Libya is on the verge of civil war now it sounds like army units are joining the protesters and distributing weapons among them. With tribalism being so strong in Libya I can really see things getting very polarised and violent in Libya. I hope Galewolf is out of their.

How long would a civil war last though? The majority of the populations supports the revolt, and a growing percentage of the army is in support of it. On the other side, the army regulars are dwindling, and so Qaddafi is having to rely on mercenaries, who will turn tail and stop flowing in once the situation gets too bad.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
There's already a lot of civil unrest in China, especially in the agricultural areas, it's just not clear how much is directly aimed at the central government instead of local usage of those policies.

It's also not clear that such discontent is focused enough to mount any sort of threat to the central government. China may be a barrel of gunpowder, but it seems to be a wet powder for now.

Priapus
Feb 17, 2007
I AM LITERALLY AND I MEAN LITERALLY A STUPID NAIVE SHELTERED IGNORANT DENSE AS FUCK WASTE OF SPACE. PLEASE IGNORE ANYTHING I SAY AS THEY ARE THE RAMBLINGS OF A DELUSIONAL FUCKWAD PS MY DICK IS VERY SMALL AND I PROBABLY HAVE NEVER USED IT im so very retarded

Suntory BOSS posted:

I wouldn't hold your breath on China-- widespread civil unrest is virtually inevitable, but there's nothing to suggest it will start now. From what I understand, it's possible to find one's way around the Great Firewall if the user is determined enough, the government just has to make it enough of a hassle so that 99% of the population never bothers.

That's not true for young people, getting around internet censorship is commonplace in China. In fact I'd wager that the average university aged Chinese citizen is more informed than the average American consuming traditional news media.

The only reason China will not revolt anytime soon is that everyone can easily afford food and the country has a good future if the status quo is maintained.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Xandu posted:

I think it has. He can't win it without killing everybody.

And??? That's like saying "you can't get rid of this chocolate cake without eating it".

In 1982 the Muslim Brotherhood of Syria started a rebellion in Hama, the fourth largest city in Syria that had a population of 250,000 at the time. In response President al-Assad besieged Hama with army special forces, ordered for the city to surrender and declared that anyone staying would be considered a rebel. Then the city was bombed by airplanes, artillery and tanks for almost a month. 10,000-40,000 people died and many more lost their homes. The Muslim Brotherhood was not a problem after that. That's how you roll the ball in a dictatorship.

For Mubarak this wasn't so much a chance, because Egypt depends on western tourists and his power wasn't that strong anyway. But Gaddafi has got nothing to lose. It all depends on his control of the army, and his ability to use non-local divisions to suppress the uprisings. If the army defects, then he's screwed. But that is not very likely. Gaddafi took power as a Libyan army captain, and since then he's taken good care of not letting others do the same.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Gravel Gravy posted:

How long would a civil war last though? The majority of the populations supports the revolt, and a growing percentage of the army is in support of it. On the other side, the army regulars are dwindling, and so Qaddafi is having to rely on mercenaries, who will turn tail and stop flowing in once the situation gets too bad.

Tripoli is still rather quiet, as Gudaffi has his supporters are out constantly on the streets crushing any dissent, if this protest is to succeed, this must spread there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Nenonen posted:

And??? That's like saying "you can't get rid of this chocolate cake without eating it".

I'm aware of what happened in Hama. Some differences

1. The uprising in Hama was largely Islamist and confined to the area. Here it's spread throughout the country and has a wider base of support. There's a huge size difference between the protests as well, tons of people have come out in Libya.

2. The Syrian stranglehold over the media meant that nobody in rest of the country knew what was happening till it was over and even then, the official version of what happened was far from reality. Nowadays, video from Benghazi is on CNN and al-Jazeera and facebook) and quickly spread around the country. Gaddafi can't hide the truth from his own people.

3. The Syrian Defence Companies that went into Hama were comprised solely of Alawites (minority group that is in power) utterly loyal to the end. Here we have mercenaries and al-Jazeera just reported that they confirmed members of the army have already split from Gaddafi's forces in Benghazi. In addition, tribal groups that usually support Gaddafi have come out against him. He's starting to lose his support network.

• Locked thread