Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

farraday posted:

Violent revolution is never pretty, but at this point it's hard to see how Qaddafi secures power if his mercenary forces just got crushed.

Anyone more familiar with Libya have any idea where Qaddafi could pull out a counter-revolutionary corps to fight any anti regime force coming form Benghazi?

quote:

Khamis al-Qadhafi's 32nd Brigade is one of the main regime protection forces. The 'Khamis Brigade' is considered by U.S. diplomats as the most capable of defending the regime

But it wouldn't be enough at this point I'd imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The phone interviews AJE are doing with people in Benghazi are brilliant, very informative.

AJE also said the Libyian ambassador to China has also just resigned as well. In 24 hours Gaddafi's position has been extremely uncertain.

[edit]AJE said it was actually a diplomat, not ambassador.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 20, 2011

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Xandu posted:

But it wouldn't be enough at this point I'd imagine.

Military nomenclature is fairly flexible, but generally a brigade isn't really enough.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

If Gaddafi goes it'll spur on protesters in other countries even more.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

Further reports suggest the 500,000-strong Tuareg tribe in south Libya has heeded the call from the million-strong Warfala tribe to join the uprising. Protesters in Ghat and Ubary, home to Libyan Tuareg clans are reportedly attacking government buildings and police stations.

That's in a country with 6.7 million people, so both those tribes are about 1/5th of the population.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Watching Libya pick up the pieces should this turn out successfully (still not sold until Tripoli gets in on the game) will be fascinating. Unlike in Egypt, where Mubarak was simply the leading man in his regime, Qadaffi (or however he chooses to spell his name this week) truly is the Libyan regime. In Egypt, they had a structure in place (that will be considerably renovated, but still present) that they can work with. In Libya, bringing down Qadaffi will bring down everything and Libya will need to have its entire political system rebuilt from the ground up.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

A protester being interviewd on AJE just a second ago said the protesters in Tripoli have been unmolested by police or soliders for the last few hours.

They are also saying on AJE that a Libyan diplomat claimed on AJ Arabic that Gaddafi's sons ended up argueing, and one of them shot the other, and that there's reports that Gaddafi has fled to Venezula.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

lil sartre posted:

North Sudan may take him since he supported them in the war against the South and Bashir doesn't need to worry what the outside world thinks since he's already a pariah.

Gaddafi actually supported the Southern Sudanese rebels in the 1980's during Nimeiry's leadership because Nimeiry supported the Israeli-Egyptian peace. Libya was basically being a dick to anyone who didn't agree with Gaddafi's ideals of Arab and Muslim unity, even if this meant funding Christian rebels.

Soon after Nimeiry left the relations between Libya and Sudan improved, however, so much so that Libyan troops were allowed to be stationed in Darfur to operate against Chad. Trying to understand North African politics might become easier after Gaddafi has gone...

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Brown Moses posted:

They are also saying on AJE that a Libyan diplomat claimed on AJ Arabic that Gaddafi's sons ended up argueing, and one of them shot the other, and that there's reports that Gaddafi has fled to Venezula.

Yup, heard the guy on AJ Arabic. Pretty amazing if true.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Hey guys, i just entered home and trying to follow the news right now. It was a goddamn horror ride for me but i am safe and sound now, i literally feel like a movie protagonist jumping out from a window of building rigged with explosives before everything blew.

Jesus H. Christ man, what a week.

LITERALLY MAD IRL
Oct 30, 2008

And Malcolm Gladwell likes what he hears!

Xandu posted:

Some really good pictures from Benghazi

http://www.flickr.com/photos/a7fadhomar/

This is a pretty trivial point considering the significance of what we're witnessing, but I find it interesting that the protesters are flying the flag of the old Libyan monarchy. I didn't realize ordinary Libyans still identified with it.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Well given how lovely their current flag is....

Seriously though, there's also been a lot of mentioning of Omar Mukhtar, an old hero of Libyan independence.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Galewolf posted:

Hey guys, i just entered home and trying to follow the news right now. It was a goddamn horror ride for me but i am safe and sound now, i literally feel like a movie protagonist jumping out from a window of building rigged with explosives before everything blew.

Glad you made it out okay. Just in the nick of time, it seems.

LITERALLY MAD IRL posted:

This is a pretty trivial point considering the significance of what we're witnessing, but I find it interesting that the protesters are flying the flag of the old Libyan monarchy. I didn't realize ordinary Libyans still identified with it.

I think the people think of it as a pre-revolution (aka pre-Muammar) flag rather than necessarily associating it with the monarchy.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Galewolf posted:

Any idea what's actually going on?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Gaddafi looks like he's on his way to a Charles Bronson Lookalike Contest.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

His son is giving a live speech right this second.

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know

Jut posted:

I doubt it, I'm betting that the rest of the GCC have put pressure on Bahrain not to gently caress things up for the rest of them. Having lived out in Qatar for two years, I can tell you that out of all the GCC countries, Bahrain is the weakest link.

But Saudi Arabia was in full support of the crackdown. Would the other be willing to go against them for something they probably aren't overly concerned about (UAE won't have their Emirates complain about their lot in life during all this). If not, some sort of heavy pressure must have came down on Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, or both for such a major change of heart.

But we'll play "what REALLY happened behind the scenes?" later. I'm more interested in leaving the thread open for what's happening in Libya right now.

GnatKingCoal
Dec 17, 2008

You, Sir, are UNAmerican!

Brown Moses posted:

If Gaddafi goes it'll spur on protesters in other countries even more.

I bet this is the first time Barack O'Bama and Hillary Clinton have been rooting for Qaddafi.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Good point re: monarchist flag. Maybe if Libya does have a successful revolution, they can finally get a new flag.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Brown Moses posted:

His son is giving a live speech right this second.

Yeah on state television giving the usual crony lines about regrettable accidents from the army and that kind of thing.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It's like he's lovely words into my face.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Now he's talking about African illegal immigrants causing trouble.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Brown Moses posted:

"Thugs, outlaws, anarchists..."

GnatKingCoal
Dec 17, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

Yeah, those foreign mercenaries do that. :rolleyes:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Ever wondered what the word "rambling" means?

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know

Brown Moses posted:

He sure speaks professionally for a guy rambling gibberish.

Edit: We're not like Egypt or Tunisia, we have oil. :confused:

Homeroom Fingering fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 21, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I think he's really high.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Spiky Ooze posted:

Yeah on state television giving the usual crony lines about regrettable accidents from the army and that kind of thing.

Not to mention what sounded like blaming the protests on "political groups with other agendas", "Islamists", drugs, alcohol and immigrants.

Also "Media Exaggeration". They only killed 14 unarmed civilians, guys. Sheesh.

GnatKingCoal
Dec 17, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

I think he's really high.

I know I'D BE, if my entire world were crumbling like his is. :420:

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
oh god i was drinking coffee when he mentioned people drinking coffee and helping us burn

with every sip i taste the guilt :ohdear:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

tetsul posted:

He sure speaks professionally for a guy rambling gibberish.
He's speaking far too much and isn't saying nearly enough. Also "OIL".

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I'm guessing he didn't right this down before he started.

pincky
Oct 28, 2010
Wow, he is really rambling. He seemed so proud that he hasn't prepared any speech. He should have. When is he coming to the part were he killed his brother and his father fleed to Venezuela?? :munch:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

He's doing a lovely job of looking like he's in control. It reminds me of Mubarak's speeches.

"Drunk thugs driving tanks", it's like a Daily Mail headline.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Between his glasses, the way he's folding his hands, the subtle rotation of his chair and the incoherent rambling, I'm getting flashbacks to that Fragmaster Final Fantasy video.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Brown Moses posted:

I'm guessing he didn't right this down before he started.
It screams "PANIC". His father should be the one doing it and JR is rambling, telling everyone armed people are running around the country and that he is the country only hope for ORDER. Also "Lybia isn't Tunisia nor Egypt".

edit: "they have tanks and guns". Well okay, you are going to die.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

He's doing a lovely job of looking like he's in control. It reminds me of Mubarak's speeches.

"Drunk thugs driving tanks", it's like a Daily Mail headline.

If you haven't seen his daddy's speech to the UN you're missing out. It's about 25% insight and 75% hilarious insanity.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
"Libya is not Tunisia. Libya is not Egypt. Libya has oil. Oil is the ONLY thing that keeps Libya together."

This guy has a very, very low opinion of his countrymen.

"I'll be honest. We are all armed."

:allears:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It's the old "give a rambling speech and promise reforms even though it's way to late for that" that Mubarak pulled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Brown Moses posted:

It's the old "give a rambling speech and promise reforms even though it's way to late for that" that Mubarak pulled.

Hopefully it ends the same.

• Locked thread