Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

quadratic posted:

Arabs absolutely love conspiracies.

There is a cultural thing which makes accepting responsibility virtually impossible. The loss of honor is like the worst thing that can happen to an Arab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I am really amazed at the volatility of these protests. This has all happened in 2 months. A week ago, Qhadaffi likely wouldn't have dreamed he'd be in the grossly uncertain position he is in today. A month ago Mubarak was solidly in control.

Pretty loving amazing.

QuentinCompson
Mar 11, 2009

Rotacixe posted:

There is a cultural thing which makes accepting responsibility virtually impossible. The loss of honor is like the worst thing that can happen to an Arab.

Yes, and while we're at it, why don't you start talking about how they're savages who can't govern themselves?

Close your racist trap.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
This sounds like the death rattle of a regime way way past it's prime. I'm so excited for the people of Libya :) the will get the freedom they so badly deserve, hopefully sooner rather than later.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
What's funny to me is that this past week I've been playing through Just Cause 2 on my pc, which if you're unfamiliar is a game where you're basically displacing the regime in this fictional south pacific island nation. Every time you do some mission and destroy government facilities you see these TV announcements about how everything is fine and the people love their glorious leader. Then I exit and flip back over to this thread or the AJE feed and it's like the same thing but with real life people being killed.

Edit: also this dissident chick on AJE is hot.

davebo fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 21, 2011

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Rotacixe posted:

It'd be nice if you tried to back statements like this.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

QuentinCompson posted:

Yes, and while we're at it, why don't you start talking about how they're savages who can't govern themselves?

Close your racist trap.

I was sort of hoping he was taking quadratic's statement to the extreme to prove a point.

memento mori
May 4, 2008
Hey I just wanted to chime in my thanks for the constant updates from you guys. I don' have time to follow all the twitters and Al-Jazeera so this thread has been a great source of info for me. Thanks guys.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

ShortStack posted:

This sounds like the death rattle of a regime way way past it's prime. I'm so excited for the people of Libya :) the will get the freedom they so badly deserve, hopefully sooner rather than later.

I'm glad they have the agency now to secure their freedom and determine their own fate. Eventually, this had to happen. It proves one thing about life that still surprises me: no matter how solid something looks, no matter how utterly 'inevitable' some rule is, it will always eventually fall.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Some poor sod at the Guardian just started up a new Live Blog

Apparently there's 4 protests in Tripoli at the moment.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

So I just heard that the local administration in Benghazi is threatening to end oil exports to the West within 48 hours if violence doesn't end, via RDI live broadcast. This seems important but I wonder if anyone else can confirm this.

Reuters is carrying it as well

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I heard that claimed a few times on AJE, but it's difficult to confirm anything at the moment.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Brown Moses posted:

I heard that claimed a few times on AJE, but it's difficult to confirm anything at the moment.

They were translating a message from a tribal leader, so I'd treat it as confirmed.

QuentinCompson
Mar 11, 2009

Xandu posted:

I was sort of hoping he was taking quadratic's statement to the extreme to prove a point.

He's not, look at the post history.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Xandu posted:

They were translating a message from a tribal leader, so I'd treat it as confirmed.

If they can back that up, then I think Hillary Clinton's going to have an Aasimov-esque logic error trying to sit on the fence here. I can appreciate why they're doing it, but the wait-and-see attitudes of many western governments on this whole debacle have been disgusting.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Isentropy posted:

So I just heard that the local administration in Benghazi is threatening to end oil exports to the West within 48 hours if violence doesn't end, via RDI live broadcast. This seems important but I wonder if anyone else can confirm this.

Reuters is carrying it as well
So like, are they asking us to send in the Marines? Are they volunteering to be invaded by America?

Suck it, Qaddafi!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

QuentinCompson posted:

Close your racist trap.

You've obviously never dealt with Arabs if you don't think that family honor is supreme.

Suntory BOSS
Apr 17, 2006

Someone in Foggy Bottom read my post :v:

quote:

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said the Obama administration would support—but not seek to direct—pro-democracy forces...

...Mrs. Clinton said the U.S. would focus on providing "technical assistance" and financial support to help authentic democracy take root. That's what activists have "asked for in their online blogs and in their posters and in their interviews," she said.

Exactly what I was asking for a few pages back. Took the Administration a while to formulate a cohesive and united strategy but this looks like the beginning of exactly that. As long as we can avoid tarnishing the movements by our association, this will be a positive development.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The-Mole posted:

You've obviously never dealt with Arabs if you don't think that family honor is supreme.
This is the difference between 'this group tends to have a very high focus on a particular social or cultural value' and 'this group is all about this one thing,' the former of which may be defensible, and the latter of which is kinda racist!

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

How are u posted:

It'd be nice if you tried to back statements like this.

I didn't realize that it was going to be controversial.

I don't see how anyone can deny that they like to blame everyone else for their problems. Especially Israel. Israel might not be a force for good, but they give it too much credit.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/219504/israel-did-it/victor-davis-hanson

Al-Jazeera's editor in chief Ahmed Sheikh:

quote:

Sheikh: In many Arab states, the middle class is disappearing. The rich get richer and the poor get still poorer. Look at the schools in Jordan, Egypt or Morocco: You have up to 70 youngsters crammed together in a single classroom. How can a teacher do his job in such circumstances? The public hospitals are also in a hopeless condition. These are just examples. They show how hopeless the situation is for us in the Middle East.

Heumann: Who is responsible for the situation?

Sheikh: The Israeli-Palestinian conflict is one of the most important reasons why these crises and problems continue to simmer. The day when Israel was founded created the basis for our problems. The West should finally come to understand this. Everything would be much calmer if the Palestinians were given their rights.

Heumann: Do you mean to say that if Israel did not exist, there would suddenly be democracy in Egypt, that the schools in Morocco would be better, that the public clinics in Jordan would function better?

Sheikh: I think so.

Heumann: Can you please explain to me what the Israeli-Palestinian conflict has to do with these problems?

Sheikh: The Palestinian cause is central for Arab thinking.

Heumann: In the end, is it a matter of feelings of self-esteem?

Sheikh: Exactly. It’s because we always lose to Israel. It gnaws at the people in the Middle East that such a small country as Israel, with only about 7 million inhabitants, can defeat the Arab nation with its 350 million. That hurts our collective ego. The Palestinian problem is in the genes of every Arab. The West’s problem is that it does not understand this.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Nessus posted:

So like, are they asking us to send in the Marines? Are they volunteering to be invaded by America?

Suck it, Qaddafi!

If I was Obama I'd laugh and send him back this:

"Be sure to give our regards to Libya's new president on the way to the firing squad, rear end in a top hat."

Tarnek
Nov 4, 2009
Transcript of Saif Gadaffi's speech, for those who missed the oh so insightful analysis of the current developments

http://www.tweetdeck.com/twitter/exiledsurfer/~oJiWX

Tarnek fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 21, 2011

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Nessus posted:

Suck it, Qaddafi!

WOAH WOAH, hold it buddy! Some gunship policy logic you've got there. The tribal leader is demanding the government forces to stop the violence, or else the only source of income will be plugged. Where did you read a request for foreign invasion in that?

And US Marines, on top of that? What makes you think that any Arab Muslim would want them to invade their homes? It'd be like the Tea Party asking for Russians to come and protect them from Obama.

e: or did you mean that Gaddafi is asking for intervention... IDGI

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 21, 2011

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

davebo posted:

What's funny to me is that this past week I've been playing through Just Cause 2 on my pc, which if you're unfamiliar is a game where you're basically displacing the regime in this fictional south pacific island nation. Every time you do some mission and destroy government facilities you see these TV announcements about how everything is fine and the people love their glorious leader. Then I exit and flip back over to this thread or the AJE feed and it's like the same thing but with real life people being killed.

I started playing Tropico 3 this week, in which you actually play as the glorious leader. Pretty funny timing, I know.

Suntory BOSS
Apr 17, 2006

Barbary War III: The Barbariest

QuentinCompson
Mar 11, 2009

Rotacixe posted:

I didn't realize that it was going to be controversial.

I don't see how anyone can deny that they like to blame everyone else for their problems. Especially Israel. Israel might not be a force for good, but they give it too much credit.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/219504/israel-did-it/victor-davis-hanson

Al-Jazeera's editor in chief Ahmed Sheikh:

Durr those Arabs sure like to blame everyone else for their problems! It's not like their current countries were invented out of whole cloth by the West after the Ottoman Empire was crushed in WWI! It's not like the whole reason Lebanon is so unstable is their constitution, which was written by the French and disenfranchises the Shi'a to a crazy extent. It's not like Syria is a patchwork amalgam of ethnic groups that were turned against one another by colonial divide-and-conquer tactics. It's not like Iraq and Jordan were also invented by the British and were given to the sons of Sharif Hussein Ali, someone from loving Istanbul, to rule.

And here are the Arabs, rising up and taking control of their own destinies in a beautiful example of human spirit and all you racist clowns can do is bleat like lobotomized sheep about HONOR and LOVE OF CONSPIRACIES.

QuentinCompson fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 21, 2011

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Suntory BOSS posted:

Barbary War III: The Barbariest

I think you mean Barbary War 3: Obarbar's Brabrabar.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Nenonen posted:

WOAH WOAH, hold it buddy! Some gunship policy logic you've got there. The tribal leader is demanding the government forces to stop the violence, or else the only source of income will be plugged. Where did you read a request for foreign invasion in that?

And US Marines, on top of that? What makes you think that any Arab Muslim would want them to invade their homes? It'd be like the Tea Party asking for Russians to come and protect them from Obama.

e: or did you mean that Gaddafi is asking for intervention... IDGI
I misread this as a threat to the world from the main government, not a threat from a tribe to the main government. MY BAD

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Nessus posted:

I misread this as a threat to the world from the main government, not a threat from a tribe to the main government. MY BAD

Ah, well in that case... :)

Actually that might be made into an interesting scenario. Muammar could rig a few oil tankers with explosives and then send them to the coasts of Spain, France, Italy and Greece, then demand EU to quell the uprisings or the tankers will blow up. <strokes the white cat>

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Nenonen posted:

Ah, well in that case... :)

Actually that might be made into an interesting scenario. Muammar could rig a few oil tankers with explosives and then send them to the coasts of Spain, France, Italy and Greece, then demand EU to quell the uprisings or the tankers will blow up. <strokes the white cat>

Ah yes, the "Hackers" contingency.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
I'm willing to support another Barbary War as long as the ending treaty includes a modern version of Article 11 from the Treaty of Tripoli.

farraday fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 21, 2011

GnatKingCoal
Dec 17, 2008

You, Sir, are UNAmerican!

The Brown Menace posted:

I think you mean Barbary War 3: Obarbar's Brabrabar.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
http://www.libyafeb17.com/ says that people were getting shot during the speech, twitter reports snipers in Tripoli and that mercenaries have started attacking people in their homes :(

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

ShortStack posted:

http://www.libyafeb17.com/ says that people were getting shot during the speech, twitter reports snipers in Tripoli and that mercenaries have started attacking people in their homes :(

Well hello there: http://www.libyafeb17.com/?p=1283

Gaddafi has already fled the country to Venezuela or Brazil. My money is on the former.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

QuentinCompson posted:

Durr those Arabs sure like to blame everyone else for their problems! It's not like their current countries were invented out of whole cloth by the West after the Ottoman Empire was crushed in WWI! It's not like the whole reason Lebanon is so unstable is their constitution, which was written by the French and disenfranchises the Shi'a to a crazy extent. It's not like Syria is a patchwork amalgam of ethnic groups that were turned against one another by colonial divide-and-conquer tactics. It's not like Iraq and Jordan were also invented by the British and were given to the sons of Sharif Hussein Ali, someone from loving Istanbul, to rule.

And here are the Arabs, rising up and taking control of their own destinies in a beautiful example of human spirit and all you racist clowns can do is bleat like lobotomized sheep about HONOR and LOVE OF CONSPIRACIES.

I see. It's racist to criticize cultural aspects of less developed countries. They are strong enough to defend their own beliefs. You don't have to do it for them.

I also don't think that i attributed every single misfortune of the Arab world to their culture. But some of the things they do sure look strange, if you view them from an Western POV and not theirs.

http://213.251.145.96/cable/1979/08/79TEHRAN8980.html

http://www.unc.edu/depts/diplomat/AD_Issues/amdipl_17/articles/deatkine_arabs1.html

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

GnatKingCoal posted:

Someone here did this as a Photoshop a while back (sorry, don't remember who). Babar went to Europe, became Westernized, and returned to rule his African kingdom, with the supposed support of the colonial power. Some have criticized the book as trying to gloss over the often bloody and messy history of French involvement in Africa:

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Rotacixe posted:

I see. It's racist to criticize cultural aspects of less developed countries. They are strong enough to defend their own beliefs. You don't have to do it for them.

I also don't think that i attributed every single misfortune of the Arab world to their culture. But some of the things they do sure look strange, if you view them from an Western POV and not theirs.

http://www.unc.edu/depts/diplomat/AD_Issues/amdipl_17/articles/deatkine_arabs1.html

I personally think Quentin is getting his panties in a bunch over a not-so-important comment, but I think I should point out that the first link is about Iranians, who are Persian. Not Arab. Different ethnicities.

QuentinCompson
Mar 11, 2009

Rotacixe posted:

Right, so you're clearly reading that cable and then aligning with the American diplomat. Which is hilarious. You either can't read or you're some kind of weird troll.

If it's the former, I wonder why Iranians might be suspicious of Americans and unwilling to form a relationship with them, I mean, it's not like the CIA trained the Shah's secret police in the subtle art of dipping people in acid three short years after overthrowing a democratically elected leader in favor of a reactionary Western-aligned monarch.

It also might be pertinent to the current discussion if Persians were Arabs. Hint: they're not and they haven't even been under Arab rule for the last eleven plus centuries so you can't use that as a reason for bringing it up.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

QuentinCompson posted:

Please don't conflate my post with subsequent ones spouting misguided views about honor and its place in Arab societies.

The current events make it pretty clear that the people aren't buying whatever foreign intervention conspiracies the dictators are trying to sell them. Maybe I should have included a smilie or something :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Paradox Personified posted:

Also, a new relevant article:
http://www.allfacebook.com/egyptian-baby-girl-named-facebook-after-revolution-2011-02

As the url indicates, a man from Egypt (Jamal Ibrahim) named his daughter Facebook Jamal Ibrahim.

What are good analogies for events in the past about people being named after revolutionary stuff? Heh.

In Sub-Saharan Africa, boys were named "Kalash" after the Kalashnikov AK-47.

This is, obviously, a better sign of things to come. :unsmith:

benito posted:

Someone here did this as a Photoshop a while back (sorry, don't remember who). Babar went to Europe, became Westernized, and returned to rule his African kingdom, with the supposed support of the colonial power. Some have criticized the book as trying to gloss over the often bloody and messy history of French involvement in Africa:

Holy poo poo. That's a blast from the past. I did that about a year ago. I forgot what the thread was, something about "real" children's books.

It's nice to see someone saved it.

• Locked thread