Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spikeness
Dec 4, 2009
I am sexually aroused by the thought of a 12 year old video game character in a bikini, just fy
It's great fun playing online with casual aiming, why's it so frowned upon? Too easy mode?

Last night me and a mate kept killing a posse of guys and they got so mad over the mic when it said we were 'casually killing' them.

Happened again in a later game too

I think we just found ourselves a whole new way to grief players in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Mr. Crow posted:

How do I turn off the "auto-mark" ability by just moving my cross-hair over guys in Dead Eye, it's pissing me off and continually causes me to kill people I'm not trying to.

Yeah it sucks that the second level of Dead Eye feels like a handicap. You just have to deal with it until you get Dead Eye Level 3 and you become the baddest rear end in the West.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Spikeness posted:

It's great fun playing online with casual aiming, why's it so frowned upon? Too easy mode?

It's literally auto-aim.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Casual aim makes online a battle of weapon range, which is dull. Everyone grabs the machine pistol and blamblamblamblamwin.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

I had that mission glitch up twice in the exact spot you describe. The first time I reset the console, the second I just let it sit there and after a minute or two, it continued like normal.

Yep, same here. I shot the bastard immediately when I got the chance, and the game froze up (or more likely seemed to wait for some scripted event which never fired) and after a couple of minutes it skipped forward to the next cut scene.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Austin72 posted:

I'm pretty sure you can find them again before taming the others.

Speaking of mythical creatures, its pretty hilarious when I found out I murdered every single sasquatch. The Undead Nightmare DLC is pretty awesome.

They eat babies. :colbert:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

They eat babies. :colbert:

They eat berries, you fool.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Gazmachine posted:

Casual aim makes online a battle of weapon range, which is dull. Everyone grabs the machine pistol and blamblamblamblamwin.

I feel like a baby when I play it but a) it's often the only mode with any players and b) I can't manually aim for poo poo with thumbsticks, at least not when the target is moving so drat erratically and shooting back.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Just arrived in Mexico in Undead Nightmare, progression is pretty much 50% oh god I'm playing through this DLC too fast!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Just arrived in Mexico in Undead Nightmare, progression is pretty much 50% oh god I'm playing through this DLC too fast!

Don't worry, you'll spend hours wandering around waiting for horses or the chupacabra to spawn.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Saint Sputnik posted:

I feel like a baby when I play it but a) it's often the only mode with any players and b) I can't manually aim for poo poo with thumbsticks, at least not when the target is moving so drat erratically and shooting back.

Don't worry, even if you play on hardcore, it's the same deal: people will kill you on sight and kill you again when you respawn. Try to run, and they'll just follow you. You can play on friendly mode, but they'll kill your horse over and over again or they'll just suicide bomb you with dynamite.

The multiplayer free roam isn't worth playing, but the co-op missions and matches are still (kinda) fun.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

betterinsodapop posted:

Don't worry, even if you play on hardcore, it's the same deal: people will kill you on sight and kill you again when you respawn. Try to run, and they'll just follow you. You can play on friendly mode, but they'll kill your horse over and over again or they'll just suicide bomb you with dynamite.

The multiplayer free roam isn't worth playing, but the co-op missions and matches are still (kinda) fun.

From what I remember, people who kill people in free roam are usually awful. If you stop for five minutes and own the poo poo out of them for a bit then they usually give up.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

betterinsodapop posted:

I'm talking about game modes though, I only dick around in free roam when there's someone within range to shoot a couple times before jumping into a game. Somehow the free roam games, land grab especially, are even more aggravating than the worst behavior in PvP games. There's a lot more chatter on the mic for one thing.

Just hit level 46 today. I guess at 50 I get to choose to stay there or start over at 1, losing my gold guns and everything I unlocked?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

From what I remember, people who kill people in free roam are usually awful. If you stop for five minutes and own the poo poo out of them for a bit then they usually give up.

Exactly. If you're not a total scrub you can usually just start killing them and they'll eventually just gently caress off.

Or alternately use it to your advantage and do some land grab games. I've actually found more pickup groups with Land Grab than anything else, eventually posseing up and going to kick rear end in gang matches and whatnot with total strangers. It's great fun.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Yeah, Darth Brooks and I were trying to grind levels at hideouts and people would stop by and start killing us, and we usually would just stop and start killing them over and over again. They usually eventually give up.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Mr. Crow posted:

How do I turn off the "auto-mark" ability by just moving my cross-hair over guys in Dead Eye, it's pissing me off and continually causes me to kill people I'm not trying to.

In the interim (Dead Eye is actually less useful after that "upgrade") I just used Dead Eye in short, precise bursts instead of trying to pull off 12 shot fusillades.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Hal Gill username posted:

In the interim (Dead Eye is actually less useful after that "upgrade") I just used Dead Eye in short, precise bursts instead of trying to pull off 12 shot fusillades.

I'm always too proud to use Dead Eye for marking targets. I typically just use the slow-mo to pull off difficult shots while on horseback.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

fennesz posted:

I'm always too proud to use Dead Eye for marking targets. I typically just use the slow-mo to pull off difficult shots while on horseback.

I have no such pride. Marston really seems like a badass when you mark up a whole posse of banditos and he wastes them all in the blink of an eye.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hal Gill username posted:

I have no such pride. Marston really seems like a badass when you mark up a whole posse of banditos and he wastes them all in the blink of an eye.

Definitely true, but for one on one encounters I usually don't mark targets because I'm only looking to fire once. I like to stand there, completely motionless, staring a dude down until the last possible moment when I draw and fire a single decisive shot.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Definitely true, but for one on one encounters I usually don't mark targets because I'm only looking to fire once. I like to stand there, completely motionless, staring a dude down until the last possible moment when I draw and fire a single decisive shot.

I do the same thing :shobon:

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah, Darth Brooks and I were trying to grind levels at hideouts and people would stop by and start killing us, and we usually would just stop and start killing them over and over again. They usually eventually give up.

The "vote to kick" feature is pretty handy, especially if you have a good posse going. Griefers really annoy me.

I mainly play Undead Overrun now. As simple as this game is, it's still hard to find three other players who have a clue how to get to the higher levels.

Casual aiming needs to be on. Everybody run for the yellow dot and take turns opening the casket while the other three provide cover. Use the “long shot” weapon set. Don't play with fewer than four players. Stay off the goddamn roof. Don't play if one of the players in the lobby has left the controls; use “vote to kick.”

Once in a while I can politely explain this complex strategy in the lobby and get a good game going. The rest of the time it's pretty frustrating.

I'm amazed that more people don't use bluetooth headsets on the PS3. Do people not realize that the hands-free headsets that work with cell phones also work with consoles? It wasn't obvious to me at first, either; I didn't need to buy that MadCatz piece of poo poo just to talk to other players.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

bitey posted:

I mainly play Undead Overrun now. As simple as this game is, it's still hard to find three other players who have a clue how to get to the higher levels.

Casual aiming needs to be on. Everybody run for the yellow dot and take turns opening the casket while the other three provide cover. Use the “long shot” weapon set. Don't play with fewer than four players. Stay off the goddamn roof. Don't play if one of the players in the lobby has left the controls; use “vote to kick.”

Once in a while I can politely explain this complex strategy in the lobby and get a good game going. The rest of the time it's pretty frustrating.

I've followed this strategy almost every time I've played and the highest I've ever managed is level 10. 8-9 seem about average. :smith:

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.

Peas and Rice posted:

I've followed this strategy almost every time I've played and the highest I've ever managed is level 10. 8-9 seem about average. :smith:

Oh no! We should play or something. Add me -- fandrewsorama (gah! Terrible unchangable name).

Level 15 is about average for me. Got to 22 once.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

bitey posted:

Oh no! We should play or something. Add me -- fandrewsorama (gah! Terrible unchangable name).

Level 15 is about average for me. Got to 22 once.

I wish I could, I'm on the Crashbox threeCrashy though.

If some Xbox goons are up for some Undead Overrun this Sunday though, I'd love to play.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
I'm trying to finish Daedulus and Son now that I've unlocked the northern areas, but I still can't find a single drat beaver. I spent a half hour riding up and down the Tall Trees river and saw bears, boars, rams, and wolves, but no beavers. Do they only come out at a certain time of day or a specific spot or something?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Behonkiss posted:

I'm trying to finish Daedulus and Son now that I've unlocked the northern areas, but I still can't find a single drat beaver. I spent a half hour riding up and down the Tall Trees river and saw bears, boars, rams, and wolves, but no beavers. Do they only come out at a certain time of day or a specific spot or something?

Between the Southernmost road going to Blackwater and the body of water, early morning.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Question on RDR controls- how do you move from cover-to-cover (eg. from one barrel, to the next beside it) without exiting cover mode? I seem to do it more by accident than anything else, but it's something I would like to know.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Twice now I've had a Gold Rush (loving hate that game) in Armadillo bug out and stop respawning the gold bags. It acted like some guy still had the last bag even though I killed him repeatedly and he never dropped anything.

gwaaargh
Jul 7, 2010

by XyloJW
Banditos in Fort Mercer still shoot at me when I wear the bandito outfit and keep my gun in its holster. Am I missing something? Does full positive Honor make criminals want to shoot me regardless of how I'm dressed?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

gwaaargh posted:

Banditos in Fort Mercer still shoot at me when I wear the bandito outfit and keep my gun in its holster. Am I missing something? Does full positive Honor make criminals want to shoot me regardless of how I'm dressed?

They might be permanently flagged as hostile because Mercer isn't always populated by banditos, they might be treated differently. Try doing a Bandito bounty and see what happens.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I just got this game and a couple of questions:

I'm assuming the honor thing means I can be a total dick throughout the game provided I can afford to pay off the bounties? Does the story fork?

Are there lots of just random events? I've noticed random dudes will come shoot up the towns or other stuff.

For bounty hunting, are they randomly generated or will I run out of people to hunt? Cause I love my simple repeatable missions.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Sylink posted:

I'm assuming the honor thing means I can be a total dick throughout the game provided I can afford to pay off the bounties? Does the story fork?

Are there lots of just random events? I've noticed random dudes will come shoot up the towns or other stuff.

For bounty hunting, are they randomly generated or will I run out of people to hunt? Cause I love my simple repeatable missions.

Being really good unlocks the Duster outfit, and a random event can happen that gives you an item that decreases enemy accuracy. Being really bad lets you whistle for the Dark Horse, which isn't really that great, if you have no other horse set. People also look the other way and don't report your crimes at the maximum of either end. No impact on the story, just your character and the way people react.

There are indeed lots of random events. People being robbed, people robbing you, people getting hanged, people getting chased by wild animals, random campfires, shootouts between lawmen and bandits, etc.

Each bounty location has a certain number of unique names, and once they run out you get to repeat infinite generic named bandits I think.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

edit: ^^^ beaten with more info, but said in a different way at least.

Sylink posted:

The game does not fork. You get some minor benefits to having a high honor, but it's nothing major, and there are no benefits to a low honor (that I'm aware of). But the story itself is completely unaffected by your honor. Same with your fame.

Sylink posted:

Random events pop up often, but there are only a few kinds. The guys shooting up town is one, and people getting robbed by the road side and needing your help is another. I won't ruin the others unless you ask, but there's only a handful of variations. They are all fun, though.

Sylink posted:

I'm not actually sure about this one, but since I've captured the same person multiple times (sometimes killing them), I assume they are indeed random. So no, you shouldn't run out.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 21, 2011

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

If you have low honor they'll love you in Thieves Landing, and you'll get discounts there.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Thanks guys, guess I will continue on my murderous rampage.

My current rule is just to shoot anyone I encounter in the wilderness.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
When you run into someone getting lynched in the wilderness, loving up the shot to cut the rope is amazing. I managed to shoot the victim, and after clearing out the lynch mob, the body remained hanging and was basically invincible. I could set the hanging tree on fire along with the corpse and endlessly shoot it like some kind of blood pinata. I couldn't stop laughing at the sheer absurdity of the situation.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Sylink posted:

Thanks guys, guess I will continue on my murderous rampage.

My current rule is just to shoot anyone I encounter in the wilderness.

I'm fond of stealing a dude's horse, galloping around him for a while and right as you're full on galloping next to the guy shoot the horse in the back of the head. It never gets old for some reason.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Characters will sometimes comment on your honor. For example, if you have high honor and are arrested the police will make a comment like "We hate to do this."

Dr Geek
Jan 28, 2007
Just started a new game, going to try being evil Marston from the start. Ran into a weird glitch at MacFarlane's Ranch. Some drunk guy wandered about and away from the ranch and when he fell I decided to kill and rob him. I pull out my knife and John says "I'm sorry sir" and the guy replies "I'm nothing to you, am I?". I bent down to slit his throat but I just swung the knife and the guy had disappeared. Cool and kind of freaky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Characters will sometimes comment on your honor. For example, if you have high honor and are arrested the police will make a comment like "We hate to do this."

Not only this, YOUR comments will change based on honor. Pressing the button to tip your hat at people will have an honorable Marston say things like "Good day ma'am" and "how are you, sir?", while a dishonorable Marston will say things like "You have a face like a slapped rear end, sir".

• Locked thread